Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P27 W14 D8 L5

Glen Johnson (Liverpool -> Stoke)

Read 360518 times
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,255 posts | 4932 
      Re: Glen Johnson Player Thread
      Reply #2231: Sep 16, 2013 10:47:55 pm
      So underrated by our own fans. Missed him badly.

Agree.

I do criticise Glen from time to time but I do feel he is well suited to a Rodgers team and we will miss him.
      ConzS
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,372 posts | 1029 
      Reply #2232: Sep 16, 2013 11:03:39 pm
      Wisdom just isn't ready for these games, had a howler, especially in the first half. We badly missed big Glen!
      little-Luis:)
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,844 posts | 179 
      Reply #2233: Sep 17, 2013 10:20:55 am
      Come back. Quick. Please.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #2234: Sep 18, 2013 03:36:25 am
      So underrated by our own fans. Missed him badly.

More integral in our build up than people realize. We'll miss Johnson for sure.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,255 posts | 4932 
      Reply #2235: Sep 18, 2013 11:11:08 pm

Agree and while we can, and I have, criticise some of his defending at times I've always said he is a perfect full back for how the manager wants to play and I'm at a bit of a loss to what we should do at RB on Saturday.
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #2236: Sep 19, 2013 12:11:37 am

Well said.
      lreland
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,360 posts | 116 
      Reply #2237: Sep 19, 2013 08:53:02 am
      when will glen be back playing anyword on his return
      Canuck33
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 345 posts | 19 
      Reply #2238: Sep 19, 2013 12:11:42 pm
      Any news? How much longer will he be out?
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #2239: Sep 24, 2013 02:16:46 pm
      Good news on Glen's injury, could be back in a couple of weeks.

http://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/latest-news/145655-glen-johnson-fitness-latest
      yacster
      • Forum Kenny Dalglish

• 524 posts |
      Reply #2240: Oct 01, 2013 02:46:39 pm
      I had no idea we'd miss him quite as much as we have
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #2241: Oct 01, 2013 04:54:05 pm
      I had no idea we'd miss him quite as much as we have

In an attacking sense, it was obvious, defensively, not so much.
      hoganov
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,715 posts | 162 
      Reply #2242: Oct 01, 2013 09:05:03 pm
      So I really hope we stick with our current formation for when Glen is back we will see him take Hendersons spot. He will be superb in that more advanced full back roll.
      AlexLFC95
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,393 posts | 56 
      Reply #2243: Oct 01, 2013 09:06:23 pm
      So I really hope we stick with our current formation for when Glen is back we will see him take Hendersons spot. He will be superb in that more advanced full back roll.

Only if he actually tracks back to defend
      Chico Banderas
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,072 posts | 150 
      Reply #2244: Oct 02, 2013 10:11:16 am
      Just listening to Carra on sky analyzing our two strikers and I agree, Johnno back will be key to our recent system.. Deffo missed this lad..
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #2245: Oct 02, 2013 11:29:06 am
      Just listening to Carra on sky analyzing our two strikers and I agree, Johnno back will be key to our recent system.. Deffo missed this lad..
      Yeah Chico, I totally agree.

It's been mentioned quite a few times in here and I've said it a number of times myself; Glen, (like any of our backs in this system) is valuable because of his attacking capabilities. We do our defending by attacking and keeping the ball up the pitch.

The two centre halves (more recently three) and the defensive midfield offer the cover should Glen and/or whoever get 'caught' up-field. It's actually very obvious and has been for a long time now. We do not use wingers (in the conventional sense); the width is offered by Glen and Jose, for example. We do not use full backs (in the conventional sense); see above.

If anyone still believes our full-backs should be just that and can't understand that Glen (attacking) is more important to the team than Glen (defending) then I'm afraid they haven't grasped the concept of how we are trying to play.

We haven't got anyone as good as Glen in that role so, to that end, he's obviously going to be missed. Three clean sheets before his injury, none after it, should maybe also give a clue to his importance, to the team, "defensively" and that he's not too shoddy in that department either.  ;)
      « Last Edit: Oct 02, 2013 11:41:55 am by bad boy bubby »
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,974 posts | 3058 
      Reply #2246: Oct 02, 2013 05:44:08 pm

It's been mentioned quite a few times in here and I've said it a number of times myself; Glen, (like any of our backs in this system) is valuable because of his attacking capabilities. We do our defending by attacking and keeping the ball up the pitch.

The two centre halves (more recently three) and the defensive midfield offer the cover should Glen and/or whoever get 'caught' up-field. It's actually very obvious and has been for a long time now. We do not use wingers (in the conventional sense); the width is offered by Glen and Jose, for example. We do not use full backs (in the conventional sense); see above.

If anyone still believes our full-backs should be just that and can't understand that Glen (attacking) is more important to the team than Glen (defending) then I'm afraid they haven't grasped the concept of how we are trying to play.

We haven't got anyone as good as Glen in that role so, to that end, he's obviously going to be missed. Three clean sheets before his injury, none after it, should maybe also give a clue to his importance, to the team, "defensively" and that he's not too shoddy in that department either.  ;)

I've said before Bubby - he's always been a good footballer but the older he's got I think his awareness has made him an excellent player.

He is a real athlete and everything seems to come very naturally to him - at the risk of ridicule I think in full flight he's like a thoroughbred.
      harrydunn08

• 5,921 posts | 964 
      Reply #2247: Oct 02, 2013 06:59:23 pm

Yes!!  Johno at RWB, Agger at sweeper, and Coutinho coming in at CAM to link midfield to attack will have our 3-4-1-2 system ticking quite nicely!!
      Chico Banderas
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,072 posts | 150 
      Reply #2248: Oct 02, 2013 07:25:48 pm
      System wise.. Him and Coutinho back?  We could be quite naughty.. Fingers crossed.. Honestly,  I dont kno where the gloom comes from..  Good position in the league with key players coming back in a system the players are getting more comfy with everyday.  Athletic breaker upper and a similar back up number 10 and were noyce imo..
      Red5man

• 9,616 posts | 76 
      Reply #2249: Oct 03, 2013 12:40:40 pm
      Johnson along with Coutinho play in the two most important positions in our system. Coutinho obviously the link up from midfield to our forwards but Johnson who will take Henderson's spot, would get all the room in the world like Henderson had at Sunderland. Think Glen can exploit that space much better as he's very much more creativity and dynamic than Henderson.

He'll relish the position and I think he'll have a massive impact on the team if he can find his form quick
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #2250: Oct 03, 2013 07:36:24 pm
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #2251: Oct 06, 2013 01:50:59 pm

I agree with everything you've just said.
      ajayi82
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,964 posts | 66 
      • #REDorDEAD
      Reply #2252: Oct 10, 2013 11:53:13 am
      We need to get him to sign a new deal otherwise we should be looking a buying a replacement for him NOW, as he's so valuble to our team. Everytime he's out injured we loose that attacking/defensive cover that he brings to the table. when he was out last season and Wisdom came in we just looked weak down the right. What do you think about putting in an offer for Mica Richards as a candidate and cover replacement to Johnson if he should leave when his current deal is up. We could prob get him for around £12-15mil just because he's not been playing as much as he should.
      Oldred
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,230 posts | 87 
      Reply #2253: Oct 15, 2013 12:23:49 pm
      Qualify for the Champions League and he won't be going anywhere.

Quick Reply