Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 12th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

Glen Johnson (Liverpool -> Stoke)

Read 364669 times
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,908 posts | 6832 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Re: Glen Johnson Player Thread
      Reply #2576: May 06, 2014 08:02:51 am
      Don't mind if goes at all. Think he was awful. As Crouchie said, he went up the flank numerous times, had chances to cut the ball in numerous times but either decided to do it himself or pass backwards. Him and Lucas were dire on that flank in the majority of that 2nd half and that's why they kept attacking down that flank.

Should be our Number 1 priority for me in the Summer. New Right Back.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,355 posts | 4969 
      Reply #2577: May 06, 2014 09:07:21 am
      Heard he called out LFC supporters on twitter after the match? Anyone see it?

If the Liverpool 'supporters' were acting like dicks then they deserved it.

For a while now his 'strength' in attack isn't even there and I lose count of the amount of free runs he has down his side and produces absolutely nothing.
      Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,628 posts | 2161 
      Reply #2578: May 06, 2014 10:06:02 am
      I thought he played well for 75 minutes and then it all went to pot. I still like him as a player but he definitely needs genuine competition.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,908 posts | 6832 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #2579: May 06, 2014 10:10:20 am
      Heard he called out LFC supporters on twitter after the match? Anyone see it?

Dannylfc

• 5,010 posts | 174 
      • Always in our shadow.
      Reply #2580: May 06, 2014 12:15:54 pm
      Thought he was turning in one of his half decent performances that he does every 10 games or so.. Then he completely lost the plot with some defending I wouldn't expect to see down the park on a Sunday.
      harrydunn08

• 5,930 posts | 971 
      Reply #2581: May 07, 2014 04:09:16 pm
      I have to take issue with the amount of criticism that is being thrown at Glen and Martin.  The way we play, we usually end up with what looks like a 2-1-4-3 formation when in possession:

Skrtel                   Sakho
                       Gerrard
      Johno   Lucas        Allen     Flano
         Sturridge   Suarez   Sterling

Johno and Flano are encouraged (and expected) to get forward and provide attacking width, but this ultimately leaves us incredibly exposed to quick counter attacks.  If we hadn't been pushing for goals, goals, and more goals against Palace then Johno could have saved his energy and done a better job of defending..... but we wanted more.  He was urged forward by the manager, fans, and his teammates and for 70 minutes he did a great job, but then he ran out of steam.  I said while watching the game that we should have subbed Glen off around the 70 minute mark, not because he is a poor player nor was he having a bad game, but because he was completely knackered after running the length of the pitch for 70 straight minutes.  Their goals came at a time when they had fresh legs running at our tired fullbacks.  Had we shut up shop when we went 3-0 up then we would have won comfortably, but the intention was to push on and score more.  For that reason I believe that our defenders are not solely responsible for the goals scored.  Part of the blame needs to fall on BR for not changing the tactics, and part of it also needs to be apportioned to the midfielders for not providing more cover/support for our defenders who were outnumbered too often and too easily in the closing minutes.  Could Johno & Skrtel have done better?  Perhaps, but it is a team game and we shouldn't hang two lads out to dry when there are plenty of others who could have done more to prevent the goals and protect the lead. 
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #2582: May 08, 2014 03:11:42 am
      It's not that, alone. Watch when Bolasie attacks and runs at him. Glen either stands there flat footed, drops off him and gives him space to run, or simply does nothing at all.

That moment where he was being run at by Bolasie on the halfway line he just stood there with no idea what to do and let his man run past him like he wasn't there. Then you watch Skrtel in that scenario and he knows when to concede space to negate the pace and ushers him to the wing.

Glen should be busting a lung to close his winger down when they get to the wing but he doesn't. He stands there 5 yards minimum away and let's them get a cross in or get to the byline. He does so much finger pointing but never does the movement himself. Hendo has screamed at him so many times this season because it's Jordan tracking the run while Glen stands there as if it's not his job.

He is a fullBACK. I like attacking fullbacks but they are defenders first and foremost. If you get caught upfield, you run your sack off to get back and defend. You don't trundle back casually waiting for someone else to do your job.

I think he's a very lucky boy his competition is Kyle Walker for the England team.
      harrydunn08

• 5,930 posts | 971 
      Reply #2583: May 08, 2014 01:43:31 pm
      I guess this summer will let us know if Glen is simply doing what BR tells him to do (primary focus on supporting the attack), or if he is not pleased with his performances.  If it is the former, I expect him to stay.  If it is the latter, then I expect him to leave.  The good news is that we should have an answer in the next few months :)
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,934 posts | 829 
      • Formerly known as Vtorres, Vsuarez, and Vsterling.
      Reply #2584: May 08, 2014 04:18:39 pm
      I guess this summer will let us know if Glen is simply doing what BR tells him to do (primary focus on supporting the attack), or if he is not pleased with his performances.  If it is the former, I expect him to stay.  If it is the latter, then I expect him to leave.  The good news is that we should have an answer in the next few months :)

But whether his primary focus is attacking or not, as a defender he still should be good enough to do just that, DEFEND.

He seems less willing than the rest of the team to put a shift in and like i have said before, his defensive positioning and awareness has been poor.

If we could get 10M for him i would be happy to let him go.
      Scottbot

• 9,628 posts | 2161 
      Reply #2585: May 08, 2014 06:46:38 pm
      I have to take issue with the amount of criticism that is being thrown at Glen and Martin.  The way we play, we usually end up with what looks like a 2-1-4-3 formation when in possession:

Skrtel                   Sakho
                       Gerrard
      Johno   Lucas        Allen     Flano
         Sturridge   Suarez   Sterling

Johno and Flano are encouraged (and expected) to get forward and provide attacking width, but this ultimately leaves us incredibly exposed to quick counter attacks.  If we hadn't been pushing for goals, goals, and more goals against Palace then Johno could have saved his energy and done a better job of defending..... but we wanted more.  He was urged forward by the manager, fans, and his teammates and for 70 minutes he did a great job, but then he ran out of steam.  I said while watching the game that we should have subbed Glen off around the 70 minute mark, not because he is a poor player nor was he having a bad game, but because he was completely knackered after running the length of the pitch for 70 straight minutes.  Their goals came at a time when they had fresh legs running at our tired fullbacks.  Had we shut up shop when we went 3-0 up then we would have won comfortably, but the intention was to push on and score more.  For that reason I believe that our defenders are not solely responsible for the goals scored.  Part of the blame needs to fall on BR for not changing the tactics, and part of it also needs to be apportioned to the midfielders for not providing more cover/support for our defenders who were outnumbered too often and too easily in the closing minutes.  Could Johno & Skrtel have done better?  Perhaps, but it is a team game and we shouldn't hang two lads out to dry when there are plenty of others who could have done more to prevent the goals and protect the lead. 

That's a decent post mate and a good observation, have to agree that Jonno looked completely shattered by the end of the game.
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #2586: May 08, 2014 07:53:09 pm
      That's a decent post mate and a good observation, have to agree that Jonno looked completely shattered by the end of the game.

I think in the modern game mate with his position he is starting to show his age, with the injuries he has had over his career adding to that..
      I think that role is a younger mans role

I unlike a lot of others have always liked Glen, but going over 30 with his injury history I don't think he can play at that intensity game after game anymore

He did look knackered late on the other night and he often does, sometimes after a spell of a few games back to back he doesn't seem to be able to get going in games at all.

In that role and especially as essentially a wing back in a flat back 4 you need endless energy and I think his tank empties too quick nowadays
      harrydunn08

• 5,930 posts | 971 
      Reply #2587: May 09, 2014 03:13:49 pm
      I think in the modern game mate with his position he is starting to show his age, with the injuries he has had over his career adding to that..
      I think that role is a younger mans role

I unlike a lot of others have always liked Glen, but going over 30 with his injury history I don't think he can play at that intensity game after game anymore

He did look knackered late on the other night and he often does, sometimes after a spell of a few games back to back he doesn't seem to be able to get going in games at all.

In that role and especially as essentially a wing back in a flat back 4 you need endless energy and I think his tank empties too quick nowadays

That's a great observation.  I agree that the fullback role in our setup is highly demanding in a physical sense because our LB/RB are expected to run the entire flank almost entirely on their own.  Johnson is getting older and looks jaded after 60+ minutes of intense, fast tempo play. 

I have no attachment to him.  I do think he is a better player than he gets credit for, but if we can sell him and replace him with someone better then I'm all for it.  As I mentioned earlier we will know soon enough if Johno is living up to BR's expectations or not....
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #2588: May 09, 2014 06:33:19 pm

There is no chance we'd get that much for him. He's been crap and his contract expires next season. You'd have to be some sort of idiot to pay that for him....Await the bid from West Ham.
      emsy28
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 545 posts | 12 
      Reply #2589: May 10, 2014 06:43:00 pm
      I hope we keep him but I don't see fsg wanting to keep a player of his age on a big contract. He has been poor lately but I wonder what he'd be like if someone was pushing him for his place. Think that has been the issue with us for a while in most positions.
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,934 posts | 829 
      • Formerly known as Vtorres, Vsuarez, and Vsterling.
      Reply #2590: May 11, 2014 05:52:11 pm
      I might just not like him anymore i don't know but boy he pisses me off.

It seems every time i watch him, he frustrates me, his so lethargic on the ball and doesn't seem to have it in him anymore to burst forward effectively or defensively.

With a better RB we can have more joy down the wings, when Henderson/Sterling were acting as wing backs we had a lot more joy down the right as they actually were on the move and playing fast attacking football. Unlike Johnson whom apparently doesn't need to defend because he is so effective going forward when that is not even the case anymore.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #2591: May 11, 2014 06:01:18 pm
      You feel he was always on trial every time he played for us this season and I think the jury has returned its verdict.

It's probably time to say "thanks for your efforts" Glen.
      ConzS
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,374 posts | 1030 
      Reply #2592: May 11, 2014 06:01:54 pm
      Something I never thought i'd say about one of our players, but I hope we've just seen Johnson's last game for Liverpool.  Another poor performance from him today, nowhere to be seen for Newcastle's goal and didn't contribute going forward.
      LFC-LCFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,766 posts | 128 
      • Adopted Scouser
      Reply #2593: May 11, 2014 06:05:46 pm
      Hoping this will be the last season ol' Lead Boots spends with us. He's lost his pace, attacking threat and any defensive skills he may have had at some point in his career. Having a go at fans over twitter shows he probably knows it as well.

Replacing him HAS to be a priority for next season, but it's a shame that with Rodgers attacking philosophy he has struggled this season in a team which should have suited him. I wouldn't mind him as a squad player but I get the feeling he wouldn't be happy on the bench.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #2594: May 11, 2014 06:08:05 pm
      Something I never thought i'd say about one of our players, but I hope we've just seen Johnson's last game for Liverpool.  Another poor performance from him today, nowhere to be seen for Newcastle's goal and didn't contribute going forward.

Worrying thing is that he offered no resistance to Newcastle's attack down the left. They played their way down the left with such ease.

Hoping this will be the last season ol' Lead Boots spends with us. He's lost his pace, attacking threat and any defensive skills he may have had at some point in his career. Having a go at fans over twitter shows he probably knows it as well.

Replacing him HAS to be a priority for next season, but it's a shame that with Rodgers attacking philosophy he has struggled this season in a team which should have suited him. I wouldn't mind him as a squad player but I get the feeling he wouldn't be happy on the bench.

Loss of pace, loss of attacking threat, no defensive skills but he also has no tactical intelligence either.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #2595: May 11, 2014 06:40:12 pm
      Sorry Glen but our worst player of the season award goes to him by a long distance for me (in terms of starters). Poor in attack, worse in defence a crying shame we've had absolutely nobody to come in.

Wisdom or Kelly haven't inspired the greatest confidence and I haven't watched Wisdom at Derby. Even if he's been excellent we need someone coming in for this position and the opposite side with absolute priority in the summer. You can talk about Reus/Muller/Lallana/Barkley all you want if we don't improve in the wing back areas this system will hit brick walls against the better sides it's as simple as that.

Time to call it a day Glen.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #2596: May 11, 2014 06:45:35 pm
      Loss of pace, loss of attacking threat, no defensive skills but he also has no tactical intelligence either.

Adding to that, no determination. The way how he's so casual when in possession, how he lumbers when loses the ball and doesn't seem to have the desire in attack. He really is a lazy player, It's just embarrassing and not good enough.

We should get rid and buy someone who can defend and has the determination to put in a decent shift.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #2597: May 11, 2014 07:18:01 pm
      Adding to that, no determination. The way how he's so casual when in possession, how he lumbers when loses the ball and doesn't seem to have the desire in attack. He really is a lazy player, It's just embarrassing and not good enough.

We should get rid and buy someone who can defend and has the determination to put in a decent shift.

When Roy's boys take their big white bus on tour in Brazil, they'll have to contend with an obvious flat tyre in Johnson. Sad but true.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #2598: May 11, 2014 08:03:36 pm
      Awful, again!! The way Newcastles attacking players were getting in behind him and Skrtel was embarrasing, neither of them had a clue.

Quick Reply