Trending Topics

Glen Johnson (Liverpool -> Stoke)

Read 360728 times
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,922 posts | 823 
      • Formerly known as Vtorres, Vsuarez, and Vsterling.
      Re: Glen Johnson Player Thread
      Reply #2806: Oct 04, 2014 05:21:24 pm
      Thank f**k he's back - and I mean it.

Manquillo offers f**k all in attack - and judging by todays performance against West Brom - offers f**k all in defence.

Johnson cuts inside, creates space for players, offers nice touches. All Manquillo does is hug the touchline, never brings players into play, and his attacking game is all round sh*t. Even defensively, Johnson sured it up today.

I hope Johnson starts in the next. How Manquillo is given a free ride on this forum is beyond me.

Mate, i hate it when other posters reference others memory capability but seriously don't you remember who Johnson is, he was shocking before his injury. And him being able to string a couple of passes together doesn't warrant him a start over Manquillo. Yes he had a bad game but Johnson may get forward but when he does he doesn't get back unlike Manquillo.

Furthermore you talk about Johnson cutting inside, it has to be over a year ago or more the last time i remember Johnson cutting inside and NOT loosing possession. If anyone is to take Manquillo place it is Flanagan (when fit) not Glen F***ing Johnson.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #2807: Oct 04, 2014 07:51:14 pm
      Manquillo shows great promise, but he still has A LOT to learn at the tender age of 20 and he's definitely gone off the boil after a handful of good games early. He wasn't coming in to be an automatic starter this season anyway, though, to be fair. I for one am glad Johnson's back fit. Hopefully the injury break and pressure of Manquillo pushing him for a place improves Glen because he was awful before that injury.
      fishpie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,570 posts | 212 
      Reply #2808: Oct 06, 2014 07:28:47 am
      Erm, there is still no way I want Johnson to take Manquillo's place just because he made a few errors or whatever, which I didn't even notice!
      Is everyone missing Glens face or something?
      Both of the new wing backs are the only shining light so far this season and Lallana is starting to shine now too.
      Glen will make many many more mistakes than Manquillo and Manquillo busts a gut for the full 90 minutes, whereas Glen will be looking for his Cardigan half way through the match.
      Are people expecting Glen to be an amazing attacking force all of a sudden?
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,191 posts | 4405 
      Reply #2809: Oct 06, 2014 07:39:52 am
      We all know Glens limitations but it's always good to have competition. At least Manquillo will know if he does not perform there is the risk of ending up on the bench and the same for Glen.
      Dannylfc
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,010 posts | 174 
      • Always in our shadow.
      Reply #2810: Oct 08, 2014 01:29:43 pm
      Thank f**k he's back - and I mean it.

Manquillo offers f**k all in attack - and judging by todays performance against West Brom - offers f**k all in defence.

Johnson cuts inside, creates space for players, offers nice touches. All Manquillo does is hug the touchline, never brings players into play, and his attacking game is all round sh*t. Even defensively, Johnson sured it up today.

I hope Johnson starts in the next. How Manquillo is given a free ride on this forum is beyond me.

Have you been watching the same Glen Johnson as me for the past 18 months?

I'm glad he's back, as its clear Manquillo is still very raw, but let's not kid ourselves in to thinking that Johnson has been anything other than a bag of sh*te for the past couple of seasons. Absoloutely stealing a living on those wages, and if he doesn't improve in the coming few months he won't be getting another contract. Hopefully this lay off has given him a kick up the arse.
      harrydunn08

• 5,922 posts | 964 
      Reply #2811: Oct 08, 2014 01:37:18 pm
      I think its a little comical how many people made Johnson the goat last season for our puss poor defending. Now we all see that we are just a hit at defending as a team, not just Johno. Yet, many are still quick to call him a bag of sh*t. I just don't understand that attitude towards any of our players.

I personally want to see Johno start this next game. I think he brings more to the side than Manquillo, particularly because Gerrard always knows where he is going to be and can always rely on him as an outlet pass. I've seen Stevie hound Manquillo several times because he isn't taking up the right positions when we have possession.
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #2812: Oct 08, 2014 01:50:20 pm
      Yep, I think Johnson needs to start the next game too and if I'm being honest Enrique on the other flank, personally.

Johnson's experience alone makes him look more assured at RB and his positional play going forward and backwards IMO is better than Manquillo's, understandably so considering.

But I think we need a couple of older heads back there at the mo who are accustomed to the Prem. I think Moreno will develop in time but equally he needs to learn from someone like Enrique. I'd say we are well covered at LB and when Flannagan's back we'll be covered in both fullback positions.

But as it stands, I'm with SoAG in that I'm glad to F**k to see an established/experienced Johnson back in the side, hopefully this time round his form will be on the 'up'.
      Dannylfc

• 5,010 posts | 174 
      • Always in our shadow.
      Reply #2813: Oct 08, 2014 02:13:45 pm
      I think its a little comical how many people made Johnson the goat last season for our puss poor defending. Now we all see that we are just a hit at defending as a team, not just Johno. Yet, many are still quick to call him a bag of sh*t. I just don't understand that attitude towards any of our players.

Because he has been a bag of sh*t mate. I'm going to call a spade a spade, as I will do with any other of our players who look like they couldn't give a toss at times. I'm not going to hold him at fault for our defendnig, because it's clear that's a team issue.

But he's taking home over £100,000 a week, he's Englands first choice right back and he "should be" in his prime at the minute. However the performances he put in last season and half the season before that were some of the most frustrating I've witnessed from a Liverpool player. It isn't because he has a lack of ability, because on his best day's he is one of the best RB's in the country for me, but on his worst.. By God, he put's in some absolute stinkers, and it's more the fact he looks like he can't be arsed that get's on my tits more than anything.

I hope he gets a decent run in the team and re-captures some of the form he showed when he first came here, but if he doesn't, then I won't be sad to see him out the door come next Summer.
      harrydunn08

• 5,922 posts | 964 
      Reply #2814: Oct 08, 2014 04:58:42 pm
      I get the "calling a spade a spade" as there is no need to beat around the bush. Johnson certainly hasn't been performing on the level of a 100,000k / week player for quite some time, but I don't see the need to call any of our players a bag of sh*t. Not having a pop at you, so please don't take it personally. I just don't get the badmouthing of players by the fans. The only exception I can think of right now was Riera, but he dug his own grave with his comments about the club.

Anyway, I agree with Beer that having the experience of Johno and Enrique in the team should help us shore up our defense. We lack familiarity and cohesion st the back and those two could help us a lot in the short term while Manquillo and Moreno continue to settle.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #2815: Oct 08, 2014 05:55:47 pm
      Johnson wasn't made a scape goat, it was people just pointing out how F***ing sh*te he is. He is crap at going forward now and that was the main thing he had going for himself, can't remember the last time I saw him actually beat a player and put in a good cross or shot. He loses the ball and makes no attempt what so ever at tracking back, just casually strolls back and is intent on playing CB when he is back and leaving loads of space out wide; their was even one point this year that for some reason not even god knows, he went and stood between Skrtel and Lovren and left acres of space out wide.

At least Manquillo tracks back and can put a tackle in. The people saying he offers nothing going forward need to check themselves because had it not been for him we'd have failed to beat Ludogorets, he got the assist I believe for a goal against Saints and he has put in some cracking crosses. He's young and raw but will only get better. Maybe some better organisation within the team would see him be more consistent. I'd rather Manquillo any day of the week instead of that lazy, past it Johnson.

Also, some of the people now saying they are glad he will be back in the team were people slating him not long ago and I have no doubts he will be slated again when he continues his sh*t form. I genuinely can't remember a game I thought he played well. The fact we are still letting in goals has nothing to do with his absence because it was just the same when he was playing. Our defensive problems are much deeper than 1 or 2 players.

**Apologies if this post comes across shitty at anyone, been a lonnnnggggg day.**
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #2816: Oct 08, 2014 06:17:30 pm
      Johnson wasn't made a scape goat, it was people just pointing out how f**king sh*te he is. He is crap at going forward now and that was the main thing he had going for himself, can't remember the last time I saw him actually beat a player and put in a good cross or shot. He loses the ball and makes no attempt what so ever at tracking back, just casually strolls back and is intent on playing CB when he is back and leaving loads of space out wide; their was even one point this year that for some reason not even god knows, he went and stood between Skrtel and Lovren and left acres of space out wide.

At least Manquillo tracks back and can put a tackle in. The people saying he offers nothing going forward need to check themselves because had it not been for him we'd have failed to beat Ludogorets, he got the assist I believe for a goal against Saints and he has put in some cracking crosses. He's young and raw but will only get better. Maybe some better organisation within the team would see him be more consistent. I'd rather Manquillo any day of the week instead of that lazy, past it Johnson.

Also, some of the people now saying they are glad he will be back in the team were people slating him not long ago and I have no doubts he will be slated again when he continues his sh*t form. I genuinely can't remember a game I thought he played well. The fact we are still letting in goals has nothing to do with his absence because it was just the same when he was playing. Our defensive problems are much deeper than 1 or 2 players.

**Apologies if this post comes across shitty at anyone, been a lonnnnggggg day.**

Spot on mate and after 18months of dire performances it would look awfully much like he's playing for a move rather than anything else if his form did pick up.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,191 posts | 4405 
      Reply #2817: Oct 08, 2014 07:54:12 pm
      Johnson wasn't made a scape goat, it was people just pointing out how f**king sh*te he is. He is crap at going forward now and that was the main thing he had going for himself, can't remember the last time I saw him actually beat a player and put in a good cross or shot. He loses the ball and makes no attempt what so ever at tracking back, just casually strolls back and is intent on playing CB when he is back and leaving loads of space out wide; their was even one point this year that for some reason not even god knows, he went and stood between Skrtel and Lovren and left acres of space out wide.

Good post mate fully agree with all that.

srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,257 posts | 4933 
      Reply #2818: Oct 08, 2014 10:14:59 pm
      Strange how so many want to see Glen straight back in the side.

I don't think Manquillo has been that bad and I would leave both full backs as they are for now and try and build a realtionship in the back four.
      fishpie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,570 posts | 212 
      Reply #2819: Oct 09, 2014 07:53:09 am
      Glen McLeod Cooper Johnson (born Glen McLeod Cooper Stephens; 23 August 1984)
      On 16 June 2009; Portsmouth agreed a bid believed to be £17.5 million from Liverpool.
      I've edited this but did he come here in 2009? Look at the price - wtf? This has always been a problem to me. Not because he's British btw, just because I've never rated him highly regardless of him playing for us or England.
      fishpie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,570 posts | 212 
      Reply #2820: Oct 09, 2014 07:56:14 am
      Glen McLeod Cooper Johnson (born Glen McLeod Cooper Stephens; 23 August 1984)
      On 16 June 2009; Portsmouth agreed a bid believed to be £17.5 million from Liverpool.
      I've edited this but did he come here in 2009? Look at the price - wtf? This has always been a problem to me. Not because he's British btw, just because I've never rated him highly regardless of him playing for us or England.

Btw sorry Glen if you read your thread here, hmm all that money will make it feel a bit better so no worries ey.
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #2821: Oct 09, 2014 08:03:55 am
      Strange how so many want to see Glen straight back in the side.

I don't think Manquillo has been that bad and I would leave both full backs as they are for now and try and build a realtionship in the back four.

Nothing strange about it at all.

Manquillo has been okay. Johnson can be better than okay. He can also be worse. However, his experience in the position he plays and the league in which he plys his trade is vital for a defense which is so porous at the moment. His positioning is also at lot better at the moment than Manquillo's too.

In fact, what is strange is advocating who should play where and when based on MoTD highlights, now that is strange.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #2822: Oct 09, 2014 08:09:35 am

His positioning is also at lot better at the moment than Manquillo's too.

In fact, what is strange is advocating who should play where and when based on MoTD highlights, now that is strange.

Bloody isn't better than Manquillo's; Manquillo actually stays out wider and hasn't made the idiotic choice to go and stand between the two CB's when we are trying to defend!

Who says they are basing it on MOTD?! If MOTD is your argument for trying to get your point across and saying that is the reason for everyones judgement then it won't work.
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #2823: Oct 09, 2014 08:13:00 am
      Bloody isn't better than Manquillo's; Manquillo actually stays out wider and hasn't made the idiotic choice to go and stand between the two CB's when we are trying to defend!

Who says they are basing it on MOTD?! If MOTD is your argument for trying to get your point across and saying that is the reason for everyones judgement then it won't work.

Arseholes & opinions. I rate Johnson, you don't. Simple.

My MoTD reply wasn't to you was it?

srslfc said he hadn't seen the game last week and only saw the highlights on MoTD.

Dmasta
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,895 posts | 553 
      Reply #2824: Oct 09, 2014 10:46:42 am
      I'd have Flanagan ahead of both of them when he's back.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,257 posts | 4933 
      Reply #2825: Oct 09, 2014 11:00:07 am
      Arseholes & opinions. I rate Johnson, you don't. Simple.

My MoTD reply wasn't to you was it?

srslfc said he hadn't seen the game last week and only saw the highlights on MoTD.

True on MOTD Beer but like always I've rewatched the full game.

Shouldn't jump in so quick mate.
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #2826: Oct 09, 2014 11:03:10 am
      True on MOTD Beer but like always I've rewatched the full game.

Shouldn't jump in so quick mate.

If you saw the game then (and previous ones) why do you consider it "strange" that some people would like to see LFC's most established RB back in the side?
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,257 posts | 4933 
      Reply #2827: Oct 09, 2014 11:14:31 am
      If you saw the game then (and previous ones) why do you consider it "strange" that some people would like to see LFC's most established RB back in the side?

Because I think Manquillo has done well since he came in for the most part and I remember how poor Glen was last season. I'd also like to see a settled back four used and a chance to build up a relationship.

Strange maybe is the wrong word but so many people criticised Glen last season so I would have thought most wouldn't be wanting him rushed back into the side at the first sign of a mediocre display from Manquillo.
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #2828: Oct 09, 2014 11:38:36 am
      Because I think Manquillo has done well since he came in for the most part and I remember how poor Glen was last season. I'd also like to see a settled back four used and a chance to build up a relationship.

Strange maybe is the wrong word but so many people criticised Glen last season so I would have thought most wouldn't be wanting him rushed back into the side at the first sign of a mediocre display from Manquillo.

Ah okay, fair enough mate.

Quick Reply