Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 27th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W13 D5 L11

Glen Johnson (Liverpool -> Stoke)

Read 360489 times
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,694 posts | 3713 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Re: Glen Johnson Player Thread
      Reply #2898: Nov 30, 2014 08:10:03 am
      Well done for your courage.

But lets be honest, does he deserved to have his contract renewed or not?

I honestly believe that he is still one of the most efficient going forward, yesterday he passed two low direct crosses to Lambert and was going up and down quickly but defensively he is shaky to say the least.

So my answer is that yes he deserve to have his contract renewed only if his wages reflect his performance and age, therefore have his wages reduced.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,974 posts | 3058 
      Reply #2899: Nov 30, 2014 09:55:06 am
      For the goal yes, was out of position and gave the ball away a lot though. Made up that he scored to get us the 3 points though.

Perhaps - though I also thought he was one of our more potent attacking outlets especially in the second half.

That aside - and speaking as someone who has criticised him - when we're crying out for leadership, commitment and passion it'd be churlish not to pause and recognise the only tangible example of those qualities I can clearly recall this season.

Like it or lump it - he is the reason we won yesterday.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #2900: Nov 30, 2014 11:55:23 am
      Deserves a ton of credit getting his head on that. A lot of people would of shirked it and backed out of the challenge.

Felt bad he got hurt, but moreso when he had to walk around like a bird shat on his head after the medical team treated him :D
      GeorgeRed
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,590 posts | 324 
      Reply #2901: Nov 30, 2014 06:21:30 pm
      I hope we don't offer him a new contract based on that goal.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #2902: Nov 30, 2014 07:44:39 pm
      Perhaps - though I also thought he was one of our more potent attacking outlets especially in the second half.

That aside - and speaking as someone who has criticised him - when we're crying out for leadership, commitment and passion it'd be churlish not to pause and recognise the only tangible example of those qualities I can clearly recall this season.

Like it or lump it - he is the reason we won yesterday.

First and foremost, full backs are defenders and therefore need to be able to defend; he struggles. He is decent going forward but there have been numerous games this season where he has been shocking in terms of giving the ball away and providing no attacking threat what so ever. I think some people are forgetting that just because of his goal yesterday.

Not arsed what the reason is for winning, as long as we do win. I praised him for scoring just like I would anybody else but I'm about to start making him out to be much better than he is.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,974 posts | 3058 
      Reply #2903: Nov 30, 2014 07:55:17 pm
      First and foremost, full backs are defenders and therefore need to be able to defend; he struggles. He is decent going forward but there have been numerous games this season where he has been shocking in terms of giving the ball away and providing no attacking threat what so ever. I think some people are forgetting that just because of his goal yesterday.

Not arsed what the reason is for winning, as long as we do win. I praised him for scoring just like I would anybody else but I'm about to start making him out to be much better than he is.

We all see what we see Mcarz. He's been a very good player for us in my opinion.....whether he is now is a separate point and not one I was looking to cover in  my post.

What he did yesterday mattered to me and that sort of character isn't something I'd sneeze at right now.

fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #2904: Nov 30, 2014 08:57:00 pm
      If only he showed that much desire in defence he might have been a good full back!
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,253 posts | 2855 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #2905: Nov 30, 2014 10:09:41 pm
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,297 posts | 764 
      Reply #2906: Dec 01, 2014 09:28:37 am
      Perhaps Glen needs to be utilised in a different way, his attacking skills far out weigh his defending skills. Maybe he should be played further up the pitch, because unfortunately playing in defence Glen will remain a liability to the side.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #2907: Dec 01, 2014 10:32:49 am
      but defensively he is shaky to say the least.

If only he showed that much desire in defence he might have been a good full back!

First and foremost, full backs are defenders and therefore need to be able to defend; he struggles.

The notion that Glen can't defend certainly seems to hold sway amongst many Reds and because we can all see it with our own eyes; it must be true.

Let's set aside the knowledge that; a) in the 21st century, a top full-back's primary role [in top teams anyhow] is attack; hence the name wing-back; b) the way we are set up to play [i.e. emulate top teams] means that our full backs will often be caught out high up the pitch and c) in the 21st century, the role to cover them, in such cases falls to both the defensive midfielder(s) and centre halves.

Even if we pretended those three points weren't accurate; it would surely come as a surprise if it transpires that Glen is our top performing defender under Brendan, wouldn't it? I mean; people may be shocked if it were true that in the things which best measure defence, clean sheets/goals conceded, Glen ranked highest; wouldn't they?

And... if that were indeed true, maybe people would understand why Brendan tends to pick Glen when fit, even if they don't agree with him; right?  :-\

-------------------------------------------------------

One thing I have been critical about, recently, is his apparent lack of interest. Even if you allow for his discontent re: contract negotiations - apathy is inexcusable in my opinion. However (and although it's maybe only one sign), putting his head in where it hurt so late on in the game, on Saturday, was encouraging that this might be changing. Fingers crossed.

Like him or loathe him - right here and now we have no-one better than him in his position. I like Manquillo but he's just not ready - yet;)
      « Last Edit: Dec 01, 2014 10:43:29 am by bad boy bubby »
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #2908: Dec 01, 2014 10:38:24 am
      I love attacking fullbacks but when our defensive line is always like this (below), it just adds to the cluelessness at the back.

Skrtel          Toure         Enrique

Johnson

Even when he's not tracking back, he's always in this position. He just roams wherever he wants and points fingers around as if he knows whats going on. Does my head in.
      « Last Edit: Dec 01, 2014 10:56:27 am by crouchinho »
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,253 posts | 2855 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #2909: Dec 01, 2014 10:40:51 am
      Glen Johnson: Liverpool defender not 'crawling' for new Anfield deal
      Liverpool defender Glen Johnson says he will not go "crawling" to the Premier League club for a new contract.

The right-back's current deal runs out next summer, but he says there are no ongoing talks about extending it.

"I want to play for a club that wants me," said the 30-year-old. "I am not going to go crawling to anybody.

"The club know where I am and they know the situation. There were minor talks at the end of last season but nothing I could accept or reject."

Johnson scored Liverpool's winner in the 1-0 win against Stoke on Saturday as the Reds ended a run of three successive league defeats.

He joined the Anfield club in June 2009 and has made more than 180 appearances for the Reds.

"I've had some good times and some bad times, but if I haven't got a contract then I can't stay," he said.

"Of course, it plays on your mind, but that is when you have to be professional and try to do a job for your team. I respect my team-mates and I want to put in a performance for them."

Asked if he was surprised Liverpool had not made more effort to extend his contract, Johnson added: "I have not really thought of it like that.

"Whether it is football or business, I don't really worry about things I can't control. All I can do is try to keep doing my job every weekend.

"Whatever will unfold will unfold."
      http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/30272959

ajayi82
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,964 posts | 66 
      • #REDorDEAD
      Reply #2910: Dec 01, 2014 12:55:41 pm
      100% not going to be a Liverpool player next season, he wont get offered a  new deal and i think we might even hope a cheeky bid comes in now to take him early.. maybe use that cash to bring Origi in early
      LFCexiled
      Reply #2911: Dec 01, 2014 04:01:10 pm
      So he won't go crawling to anyone for a new contract?  Probably because he'd only end up leaving his boots behind.
      brilad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,967 posts | 99 
      Reply #2912: Dec 01, 2014 08:00:49 pm
      Nice one Glenda the phrase"shooting oneself in the foot springs to mind".
      Idiot .
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #2913: Dec 01, 2014 09:58:00 pm
      Don't worry Glen, no need to crawl here. Adios.
      crzy_jkr@u
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,774 posts | 29 
      • Rebuilding a legacy...Trust, Will, Pride, Respect.
      Reply #2914: Dec 01, 2014 11:21:47 pm
      I mean could he not have dived into the post as well as score?
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,821 posts | 2452 
      Reply #2915: Dec 01, 2014 11:41:41 pm
      We should try sell him in January Flanno will be back and I'm sure Arry would love to take a punt on him.
      Lio Varadkar
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 785 posts | 66 
      Reply #2916: Dec 02, 2014 02:42:10 am
      Kelly sold, Flano injured, Wisdom away and Manquillo not signed yet so Brendan has no choice but to give Johnson whatever he´s asking for.
      We´re just not prepared to let him go as it is. Poor management.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #2917: Dec 02, 2014 03:17:03 pm
      Kelly sold, Flano injured, Wisdom away and Manquillo not signed yet so Brendan has no choice but to give Johnson whatever he´s asking for.
      We´re just not prepared to let him go as it is. Poor management.

Huh? Is signing a new right back not an option?
      Lio Varadkar
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 785 posts | 66 
      Reply #2918: Dec 02, 2014 04:00:38 pm
      Don´t think thats the way how to go about business crouchinho. You need a new signing to settle and bed in (esp. young ones we´ve been signing mostly). At least for a season-two. Only after then you let a long-time regullar like Johnson go. We´re not prepared to sell him in January. We either offer Glen a decent new contract or we lose him for free in the summer. Poor management in my book. Hopefully Manquillo raises his game and we do sign him permanently and Flano will come back fully fit.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #2919: Dec 02, 2014 06:31:11 pm
      Don´t think thats the way how to go about business crouchinho.

But offering a 30 year old who has not performed for seasons "whatever he wants" is definitely how to go about business. Right.
      PGlynn91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,601 posts | 295 
      • To win just once...
      Reply #2920: Dec 02, 2014 06:59:49 pm
      But offering a 30 year old who has not performed for seasons "whatever he wants" is definitely how to go about business. Right.

Hahahaha! Sarcasm at its finest. :)

Quick Reply