Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

Glen Johnson (Liverpool -> Stoke)

Read 358616 times
      Flying Squirrel 39
      • Forum Matt Busby

• 127 posts | 23 
      Re: Glen Johnson Player Thread
      Reply #2921: Dec 16, 2014 10:26:27 pm
      Glen Johnson has been on a notorious decline for the past seasons.Whereas before he offered daring runs into the opposition´s half and made crosses and made a habit of shooting from a distance (albeit erratically from the most part),he now rarely incursions into the other half and his defensive work,which was never his strong suit,has not gotten any better which is an understatement seeing his many defensive errors from this season alone.He shows no signs of trying or caring,and apart from that excellent suicide header goal,he seems honestly resigned to his poor form.

One would say the same applies for the whole team,but the fact that he looks more apathetic than the rest,who we have seen put in some kind of effort on and off this season,and that his form was in decline from last season or even before that makes his case truly worrying. There just doesn´t seem to be any technique or quality left,and worse of all,no spark,no desire.

We should hang onto him until summer when his contract is up just to provide backup for Manquillo who I´ve not been impressed with but should definately be starting in his place,and until Flanagan comes back.We could try and sell him for something in January but I don´t see how that would be wise until Jon is back.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #2922: Dec 31, 2014 01:56:51 am
      Been getting better results since he has been out the team! Damn good sight him being injured, don't feel like chucking the tele out the window because of him and his soul destroying performances. Hopefully he will bugger off when the transfer window opens again.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #2923: Dec 31, 2014 02:12:21 am
      Been getting better results since he has been out the team! Damn good sight him being injured, don't feel like chucking the tele out the window because of him and his soul destroying performances. Hopefully he will bugger off when the transfer window opens again.

Something tells me he will get thrown straight back into the starting 11 when he is back. Through all those other pathetic performances he was still getting starts, can't see it changing.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #2924: Jan 01, 2015 11:21:47 pm
      Something tells me he will get thrown straight back into the starting 11 when he is back. Through all those other pathetic performances he was still getting starts, can't see it changing.

Totally agree with you mate, it's obvious.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,743 posts | 2436 
      Reply #2926: Jan 23, 2015 08:57:40 am
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #2927: Jan 23, 2015 10:52:01 am
      The club is an absolute joke when it comes to things like this. He can't defend, he doesn't want to defend, his concentration in games is pathetic and he offers nothing going forward anymore - let's give him a new contract! :roll:
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #2928: Jan 23, 2015 10:58:24 am
      FFS making a player who offers nothing an offer!

Of course they are because it's cheaper to offer him a new deal than to bring in a more experienced player in his prime. Any other club with title aspirations would be going out and signing an experienced, top quality player who has his best years ahead of him.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4877 
      Reply #2929: Jan 23, 2015 11:28:32 am
      The club is an absolute joke when it comes to things like this.

Many of us complain when the club get rid of experienced players like Agger, Reina etc and shove them out the door so can we complain if they want to offer a new deal to one just because we personally don't rate him?

If he's being offered a deal then its because the manager thinks he's worth it and I would be happy to see the boss get his wish which seems against normal FSG policy even though I'm not convinced by Glen these days.
      « Last Edit: Jan 23, 2015 11:50:47 am by srslfc »
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,326 posts | 2823 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #2930: Jan 23, 2015 11:49:56 am
      I've always been a fan of Johnson but given his recent below par performances that not even I can defend, injury proneness (his number of appearances per season is never very high), incredibly high salary and advancing age, I'm actually surprised we're supposedly going to offer him a new deal.
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #2931: Jan 24, 2015 07:30:23 am
      does anyone have the link to the website for Johnson's home renovation company?

someone posted it here a while back but I looked and couldn't find it.
      Lio Varadkar
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 785 posts | 66 
      Reply #2932: Jan 24, 2015 07:43:55 am
      Intelligent player with a degree our Glen is, speaking four languages, we need these on the team, their understating of tactics will be better. Still got some pace about him and wingback is a position we all believe suits Johnson down to a tee. Hope he is back in starting lineup this evening and prove doubters wrong, again.
      Dmasta
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,895 posts | 553 
      Reply #2933: Jan 24, 2015 07:47:12 am
      Intelligent player with a degree our Glen is, speaking four languages, we need these on the team, their understating of tactics will be better. Still got some pace about him and wingback is a position we all believe suits Johnson down to a tee. Hope he is back in starting lineup this evening and prove doubters wrong, again.

For an intelligent man his positioning is piss poor.
      Lio Varadkar
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 785 posts | 66 
      Reply #2934: Jan 24, 2015 10:19:01 am
      For an intelligent man his positioning is piss poor.
      You mean when hes tormenting the opposition fullback at the edge of penalty box and someone else loses the ball, that Glen is not in our own half defending at the same time? I agree, he should be positioned everywhere.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #2935: Jan 24, 2015 11:30:01 am
      You mean when hes tormenting the opposition fullback at the edge of penalty box and someone else loses the ball, that Glen is not in our own half defending at the same time? I agree, he should be positioned everywhere.

Only players he has tormented for the past season and a bit are his team mates.
      Dmasta
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,895 posts | 553 
      Reply #2936: Jan 24, 2015 11:35:07 am

Sorry Glens mum. Your son is a really good player and he kicks that ball really good.
      Scally21
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 991 posts | 71 
      Reply #2937: Jan 25, 2015 12:38:21 am
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #2938: Jan 25, 2015 05:04:20 am
      This blokes new nickname should be stop, backwards and sideways!

I hope to never see him and Manquillo on the pitch, at the same time, ever again.
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #2939: Jan 25, 2015 08:41:27 am

Papers don't know mate, they add 1 and 1 and make up their own answer

They are guessing and adding a contract length as a guess.. Funny they don't even to attempt to guess a weekly wage figure, because they have no idea.

I'd imagine Rodgers does want him to stay but I would be suprised if it's 3 years, or if it is it will be with the option of the third.(FSG won't sanction a straight 3 year deal on a 30+ with his recent injury record). Wages significantly reduced.

Johnson gets stick but in reality isn't as bad as people make out and has experience, something our squad lacks, I'm not suprised he doesn't want to lose all his experienced players when it seems we can't bring any players of experience or at their peak in
      Scally21
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 991 posts | 71 
      Reply #2940: Jan 25, 2015 11:32:51 am
      Papers don't know mate, they add 1 and 1 and make up their own answer

They are guessing and adding a contract length as a guess.. Funny they don't even to attempt to guess a weekly wage figure, because they have no idea.

I'd imagine Rodgers does want him to stay but I would be suprised if it's 3 years, or if it is it will be with the option of the third.(FSG won't sanction a straight 3 year deal on a 30+ with his recent injury record). Wages significantly reduced.

Johnson gets stick but in reality isn't as bad as people make out and has experience, something our squad lacks, I'm not suprised he doesn't want to lose all his experienced players when it seems we can't bring any players of experience or at their peak in

I think you're right about the "option" of the third year. If I recall, I think he was originally peeved at the length of extension offered as well as the reduction in wage.

He's probably had a word with his old mucka Cole (who's fallen out with the coach) too and thought to himself 'better the devil you know'.   
      ajayi82
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,964 posts | 66 
      • #REDorDEAD
      Reply #2941: Jan 26, 2015 10:36:06 am
      best be for a 50% wage reduction :mad:
      GeorgeRed
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,590 posts | 324 
      Reply #2942: Feb 11, 2015 07:35:57 pm
      I hope we won't offer him a new deal, he's past it and could be a troublemaker in the dressing room. Best for both parties would be letting his contract run out in the summer.

We'll save some wages off him and Stevie, also we have Flano and Wisdom, both are decent backups, both could also improve in the future.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,743 posts | 2436 
      Reply #2943: Feb 25, 2015 11:54:20 am
      Not good enough. Must not be given a new deal and let go.

Quick Reply