Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Glen Johnson (Liverpool -> Stoke)

Read 358576 times
      Sir Suarez
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 783 posts | 59 
      Re: Glen Johnson
      Reply #3013: Jul 13, 2015 12:44:16 pm
      He's not one of the skillful and fastest around, but we continue to use him, so it's not his fault. All the best to him for being a good professional.

He's signed for Stoke...
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #3014: Jul 13, 2015 12:48:16 pm
      Was a good player but should have been sold years ago, how he's going to fit in with rugby side Stoke is anyones guess, he'll need to toughen up a LOT!.
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Reply #3015: Jul 13, 2015 06:41:17 pm
      how he's going to fit in with rugby side Stoke is anyones guess

He likes to take throw ins?

Maybe their only criteria when signing a new player?
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #3016: Jul 13, 2015 10:38:19 pm
      No doubt he will have suddenly learned how to defend and have a blinder come the the opening game.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #3017: Jul 13, 2015 10:42:54 pm
      how he's going to fit in with rugby side Stoke is anyones guess, he'll need to toughen up a LOT!.

You musn't have watched Stoke in a while as under Hughes they play much better football than Pulis did.

Not Barca standard but some decent stuff at times.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #3018: Jul 13, 2015 10:44:33 pm
      You musn't have watched Stoke in a while as under Hughes they play much better football than Pulis did.

Not Barca standard but some decent stuff at times.

Was just about to post this. Stoke are not all the way to being a footballing side, but I have to begrudgingly credit Hughes for trying to get them to play football.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #3019: Jul 13, 2015 10:46:29 pm
      Was just about to post this. Stoke are not all the way to being a footballing side, but I have to begrudgingly credit Hughes for trying to get them to play football.

He's a decent coach at that level.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      Reply #3020: Jul 13, 2015 10:47:41 pm
      He's a decent coach at that level.

But he'll always have the Scum stain on him. That sh*t don't wash off.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #3021: Jul 13, 2015 10:49:22 pm

Indeed.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #3022: Jul 13, 2015 10:51:54 pm

Yeah I think Hughes is a good manager as well. Got a lot of sh*t thrown at him after the QPR job - truth be told no one is capable of managing that dire bloated football team. A good waste of a football league position. Did alright in the Wales job, was an excellent Blackburn manager and slightly unfortunate at Man City, although he may have found his level there and did more in one season in the PL for Stoke than Tony "hey big spender" Pulis did in 6 years in the Premier League.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #3023: Jul 14, 2015 10:53:08 am

Deserving of a plus TRM.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #3024: Aug 08, 2015 07:41:24 pm
      Johnson doing his best impression of a full blown tit:

Glen Johnson says Liverpool FC squad is no better now than it was last season

16:40, 8 August 2015
      By Neil Jones

Defender is set to line up against the Reds for new club Stoke at the Britannia on Sunday

Glen Johnson has claimed that Liverpool FC do not have a stronger squad now than they did last season.

The defender, who left Anfield on a free transfer back in May, is set to line up against the Reds for new club Stoke City at the Britannia Stadium on Sunday.

Johnson spent six years on Merseyside, making 200 appearances in total. But while he has insisted that he bears no grudges against the club following his exit, he has raised doubts as to whether Liverpool's summer transfer business has strengthened them significantly.

He said: “They've made some signings, but not ones that are going to walk straight into the team. They've lost Raheem (Sterling), who was an important player, so I wouldn't say it's a better squad than last year.

“It will be key for them to get off to a good start, but we want to be difficult to beat and try to improve on last season's points tally. That was a record for the club, so if we beat that we will be happy.”

Johnson claims he turned down the chance to remain at Anfield by rejecting a contract offer, and says he has nothing to prove to Reds fans this weekend.

He said: "I had a very good time there and enjoyed the majority of it. But I turned down a new contract at the end of the day, so it ended exactly how I would like.

“I met Mark Hughes and everything he had to say was what I wanted to hear. I'm settling in well and I've been made to feel welcome, so it couldn't be going any better at the moment.

“It's just typical my first game [for Stoke] is against my old club. That's football and we'll do what we've got to do. It's my job and I'll treat it as any other game.

“I've been in the Premier League for 12 years – I've got nothing to prove. When I was fit I was in the team, simple as that. There's no problems at all.”

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/glen-johnson-says-liverpool-fc-9818124

We've potentially replaced his useless arse with Clyne, Balo with Benteke, Borini with Ings and we've added Firmino. He's clearly bitter because we offered him a one year contract that reflected him being a bench warmer but he probably wanted a 2 years+ deal. Stoke's defence is going to be a hell of a lot weaker with Butland instead of Begovic, Johnson at right back and no Shawcross in the middle. 
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #3025: Aug 08, 2015 07:55:40 pm
      Johnson doing his best impression of a full blown tit:

Glen Johnson says Liverpool FC squad is no better now than it was last season

16:40, 8 August 2015
      By Neil Jones

Defender is set to line up against the Reds for new club Stoke at the Britannia on Sunday

Glen Johnson has claimed that Liverpool FC do not have a stronger squad now than they did last season.

The defender, who left Anfield on a free transfer back in May, is set to line up against the Reds for new club Stoke City at the Britannia Stadium on Sunday.

Johnson spent six years on Merseyside, making 200 appearances in total. But while he has insisted that he bears no grudges against the club following his exit, he has raised doubts as to whether Liverpool's summer transfer business has strengthened them significantly.

He said: “They've made some signings, but not ones that are going to walk straight into the team. They've lost Raheem (Sterling), who was an important player, so I wouldn't say it's a better squad than last year.

“It will be key for them to get off to a good start, but we want to be difficult to beat and try to improve on last season's points tally. That was a record for the club, so if we beat that we will be happy.”

Johnson claims he turned down the chance to remain at Anfield by rejecting a contract offer, and says he has nothing to prove to Reds fans this weekend.

He said: "I had a very good time there and enjoyed the majority of it. But I turned down a new contract at the end of the day, so it ended exactly how I would like.

“I met Mark Hughes and everything he had to say was what I wanted to hear. I'm settling in well and I've been made to feel welcome, so it couldn't be going any better at the moment.

“It's just typical my first game [for Stoke] is against my old club. That's football and we'll do what we've got to do. It's my job and I'll treat it as any other game.

“I've been in the Premier League for 12 years – I've got nothing to prove. When I was fit I was in the team, simple as that. There's no problems at all.”

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/glen-johnson-says-liverpool-fc-9818124

We've potentially replaced his useless arse with Clyne, Balo with Benteke, Borini with Ings and we've added Firmino. He's clearly bitter because we offered him a one year contract that reflected him being a bench warmer but he probably wanted a 2 years+ deal. Stoke's defence is going to be a hell of a lot weaker with Butland instead of Begovic, Johnson at right back and no Shawcross in the middle. 

'Spent 6 years and 200 performances' -

I regret that line most of all. When Rafa signed him in the same summer that we lost Arbeloa and Alonso, he signalled the moment Liverpool went into decline and where we've finished in the league in the years since - 6th, 7th, 8th etc is broadly consistent with the style of footballers we bought that Johnson typified perfectly. The first of many overpriced flops, 18m being wasted when we spent far less on far better right backs in Arbeloa and Finnan before him. He had attacking qualities...but that's all he had. Not an ounce of intelligence about him that compounded his defensive weakness. I have no doubt that his signing destabilised our defence. It was strange and very unRafa like in how it wanked our defence about and sped up Rafa's untimely departure.

To say I'm relieved he's out of the club is an understatement.
      GeorgeRed
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,590 posts | 324 
      Reply #3026: Aug 09, 2015 12:15:32 pm
      Hopefully he starts today.
      PastorGeek
      • Not Actual Geek
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,474 posts | 701 
      Re: Glen Johnson (Liverpool -> Stoke)
      Reply #3027: Dec 31, 2015 02:09:00 am
      He's doing alright at stoke.

always interesting when our former players who were considered 'utter crap' by everyone at large, do well at other teams
      Gill95
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,623 posts | 477 
      Reply #3028: Jan 01, 2016 02:17:02 pm
      He's doing alright at stoke.

always interesting when our former players who were considered 'utter crap' by everyone at large, do well at other teams
      The pressure of playing in one of the biggest club where expectations are winning trophies or Top 4.

Versus

The pressure of playing at the club where the expectations is top 10.

The small 'mentality' factor.
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #3029: Jan 02, 2016 07:13:47 am
      The pressure of playing at the club where the expectations is top 10.

wow..... top ten.  some pressure. 
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #3030: Jan 05, 2016 03:13:25 pm
      great so we will have him Adam and Crouchie desperate to score tonight
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #3031: Jan 05, 2016 10:37:31 pm
      great so we will have him Adam and Crouchie desperate to score tonight

Where was Charlie Adam?
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      Reply #3032: Jan 05, 2016 10:49:23 pm

Burger King
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #3033: Jan 05, 2016 11:31:03 pm
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #3034: Jan 05, 2016 11:34:55 pm
      In fairness to Glen he was one of their best players tonight, if not the best.
      harrydunn08
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,915 posts | 957 
      Reply #3035: Jan 06, 2016 02:15:24 am
      In fairness to Glen he was one of their best players tonight, if not the best.

Been solid all season for them. Honestly, he got way too much stick when he was here. Many made him out to be the primary reason we leaked so many goals. Yet, he's gone and our problems in defense are still here.....

Quick Reply