Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 27th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W13 D5 L11

Editors

Read 16832 times
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Editors
      Jun 29, 2009 10:32:33 pm

The third album: In This Light And On This Evening due for release on 21/09/2009

I can't wait.

Here are live performances of two of the new tracks, they sound amazing.

Papillion

Editors - Papillon @ Ejekt festival Athens

Eat Raw Meat = Blood Drool

Editors - Eat Raw Meat = Blood Drool @ Ejekt Festival Athens

redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Re: Editors
      Reply #1: Jun 29, 2009 10:50:16 pm
      I've got The Back Room. Haven't listened to it for ages though. Boss album!

What's An End Has A Start like? Better than The Back Room?

Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #2: Jun 29, 2009 10:52:26 pm
      I've got The Back Room. Haven't listened to it for ages though. Boss album!

What's An End Has A Start like? Better than The Back Room?

You don't have it?

Definately just as good as The Back Room mate.

Actually I prefer it. 'When Anger Shows' is one of my favourite songs ever. One of those albums that once you get to know the songs you can listen from start to end without skipping any tracks. Really is brilliant!

Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #3: Jun 29, 2009 10:55:38 pm
      Actually on second thoughts, it's a lot better. Seriously, buy it, you will not regret it.

I bet it's only like a £5er now too.

EDIT: Yeah:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/End-Has-Start-Editors/dp/B000PUAZDW

Get it mate!
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #4: Jul 09, 2009 10:45:45 pm
      A flashback to 2006.

Acoustic versions of 'All Sparks' and 'Bullets', absolutely quality:

Editors - Live on the grass of Pinkpop 2006
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #5: Jul 10, 2009 10:41:33 am
      They say "Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery". Joy Division should be well chuffed then, eh?

Every genre has it's place, that's what makes music such a wonderfully diverse thing, i suppose. Some might say the time was right for dark, brooding, Indie rock to attempt a revival; first with Interpol, followed a few years later, by The Editors.

Sadly, i'm old and can remember Joy Division and Echo & The Bunnymen doing this much, much better and that taints my view of The Editors. Not for me i'm afraid.  :-[

Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #6: Jul 10, 2009 11:03:50 am
      Yeah but they are completely different, it's just the singing that has a similar style and I don't see any problem with that.

For example, how is this remotely like Joy Division:

Editors - Munich live at Summersonic 07, Japan

Editors - Escape The Nest (Live At Glastonbury 2008)

Editors Jools Holland Performance & Munich Video
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #7: Jul 10, 2009 11:45:04 am
      I was actually at the '08 gig and have caught them live on two other occasions (my good lady loves 'em). I think the similarities go way beyond his voice Ross  but maybe that's just me. I'm not saying my opinion's right.

What do you think of Interpol by the way?
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #8: Jul 10, 2009 12:38:48 pm
      Fair doos. Personally I can't see that much of a comparison, I think musically they are very very different.

Interpol are OK, I really like 'Slow Hands' and 'The Heinrich Manouever' although to be honest I haven't heard much more from them. Much prefer Editors though.
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #9: Jul 11, 2009 05:08:35 pm
      The website has been changed. Seems to be some form of countdown added too, although I don't get it.

http://www.editorsofficial.com

I'm so excited!
      paulrobbo
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,875 posts | 106 
      • We are the Mods!
      Reply #10: Jul 11, 2009 07:29:44 pm
      Yeah but they are completely different, it's just the singing that has a similar style and I don't see any problem with that.

For example, how is this remotely like Joy Division:

Editors - Munich live at Summersonic 07, Japan

Editors - Escape The Nest (Live At Glastonbury 2008)

Editors Jools Holland Performance & Munich Video

I can definitely see the Joy Division influence mate. That's not a bad thing at all though. Both are great bands. I don't think they've really copied Joy Division though. Every musician is influenced by every single piece of music they here in one way or another. For example, if you hear a song or a band that you don't like you'll make sure your own music doesn't sound similar. Thats an influence. If you hear a guitar sound that really draws you in you might try it in one of your own songs etc. Thats an influence too.
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #11: Jul 11, 2009 08:08:50 pm
      Sure, I know that. I think Editors have even admitted themselves that Joy Division are a large influence.

What I'm saying is though is that I personally find it pretty annoying when people dismiss them as a rip off band, after more than likely hearing one or two songs. I find that the singing style is pretty similar, and there are elements of their influence in their slower songs, but overall I find that they actually have a unique sound through Ed's guitar which sounds absolutely nothing like Joy Division. I think the singing is similar, and certain songs have elements of Joy Division but they still remain on the whole very very different.
      paulrobbo

• 6,875 posts | 106 
      • We are the Mods!
      Reply #12: Jul 11, 2009 08:21:50 pm
      Sure, I know that. I think Editors have even admitted themselves that Joy Division are a large influence.

What I'm saying is though is that I personally find it pretty annoying when people dismiss them as a rip off band, after more than likely hearing one or two songs. I find that the singing style is pretty similar, and there are elements of their influence in their slower songs, but overall I find that they actually have a unique sound through Ed's guitar which sounds absolutely nothing like Joy Division. I think the singing is similar, and certain songs have elements of Joy Division but they still remain on the whole very very different.

I know what you mean mate. It's so easy for some people to just write a band off as a copy after listening to one or two songs. Nowadays its really tough for a bands to break onto a scene without a certain amount of people questioning the originality of their music.

I think what really separates both bands is the lyrical content. What's annoys me is when bands try and be someone they aren't. Take the Courteeners for example. They admitted Morrissey and the Smiths were an influence on them and they seem to be doing all they can to sound like them. No real direction whatsoever.
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #13: Jul 11, 2009 08:32:44 pm
      I know what you mean mate. It's so easy for some people to just write a band off as a copy after listening to one or two songs. Nowadays its really tough for a bands to break onto a scene without a certain amount of people questioning the originality of their music.

I think what really separates both bands is the lyrical content. What's annoys me is when bands try and be someone they aren't. Take the Courteeners for example. They admitted Morrissey and the Smiths were an influence on them and they seem to be doing all they can to sound like them. No real direction whatsoever.

Exactly.

Ah The Courteeners - I've heard 2 songs, 'Not Nineteen Forever' and another one that I can't remember the name of, boring as and like you say, no originality at all.

Another important thing for bands nowadays is to change their direction after every few albums, I think people in the music business have realised that people won't buy records from an artist after a given period if they produce the same things over and over again. I think that's what I love so much about Bloc Party - started off with a raw indie album, progressive sounds on AWITC and half of Intimacy has an element of dance.

I'm intrigued with this new Editors album, it looks like they are altering their sound quite a bit too from those videos I posted (Papillion, Eat Raw Meat = Blood Drool). It sounds really original and very interesting, I'm looking forward to seeing what they have done with the other tracks too for this 3rd album.

'Editors have revealed that they are set to hit the studio with producer Jacknife Lee in October to begin recording the follow-up to their 2007 album, 'An End Has A Start'.

The band revealed the plan in an exclusive video interview with NME.COM, which you can watch by clicking below. They said that the album would be influenced by the Arnold Schwarzenegger film 'Terminator'.

"We've started writing differently and taking a new approach," said guitarist Christopher Urbanowicz. "I've started writing a lot of riffs on synthesisers and there's a lot more electronics, samples and drum loops on it. I keep referencing the 'Terminator' theme."

Jacknife Lee aswell, I've loved all of his work with Bloc Party and of course he produced 'An End Has A Start'.

If the release date is supposedly 21st September when do you reckon we'll first hear it/a new single?
      paulrobbo

• 6,875 posts | 106 
      • We are the Mods!
      Reply #14: Jul 12, 2009 01:46:42 pm
      If the release date is supposedly 21st September when do you reckon we'll first hear it/a new single?

I'd say sometime at the end of this month or early August. Look out for it on Zane Lowe sometime soon.
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #15: Jul 12, 2009 02:18:32 pm
      I'm going on holiday right at the end of this month, hope I don't miss it!
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #16: Jul 13, 2009 07:15:53 pm

The Album's due for release on 12 October '09 Ross.
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #17: Jul 13, 2009 08:05:49 pm
      What?

Has it been delayed or something?
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #18: Jul 13, 2009 08:14:15 pm
      What?

Has it been delayed or something?

Don't know about it being 'delayed' Ross but i do know that's when it'll be released.  ;)
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #19: Jul 13, 2009 11:32:10 pm
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #20: Jul 14, 2009 07:51:40 am

Must be true. If Wiki says 21/9/09 then..... 21 September it is. We'll have it before then anyhow.  ;)

The countdown clock on the Editors site? What do you reckon that's all about?  :-\
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #21: Jul 14, 2009 09:49:59 am
      I'm really not sure mate, I guess it's either a countdown until the release of the new album, or the first single.

It could also be a countdown until the first song is aired. Or maybe just until a new look website is launched?

I don't actually understand it though because there seems to be two sets of numbers...
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #22: Jul 14, 2009 12:47:28 pm
      I was looking at the countdown as being a 'ticker' to the album's release; which would tie in with the info I have received from a muso mate.... 12/10/09.

Either way I'm sure we'll get a taster before long. My mate has been 'lucky' enough to have heard the album (as it stands) and reckons it's quite a departure from 'The End Has A Start'.....but he is singing the praises of 'Bricks And Mortar'...big time....less like Joy Division more akin to O.M.D. he reckons. Me? I'm hearing Pet Shop Boys meets Depeche Mode .... ;D  :f_tongueincheek:

Still not for me, I'm afraid.

Editors - Bricks And Mortar, live in Ferrara 24.06.2009

Quick Reply