Trending Topics

WWE

Read 265454 times
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Re: WWE
      Reply #2507: Aug 23, 2016 03:16:12 am
      I've not watched Summerslam yet, but the brand split has been appallingly handled, instead of bringing forth two separate wrestling entities, the draft buried Smackdown straight off the bat. Having said that, I personally prefer the Smackdown roster, at least for the men's division, it just has more guys that can tell a story in the ring and I've always been a mid-card/upper mid-card type of fan. Raw's womens division just rocks though, the ladies on Smackdown have a lot to do to even come close.

I have seen Nxt's effort from the weekend and I'll be damned if they don't know how to put on a show. All the bouts were of PPV standard and all told a decent story. The three championship matches are well worth a watch, Asuka vs Bayley showcased how far women's wrestling has come, The Revival vs Gargano and Ciampo was a masterclass in tag team wrestling and stole the night for me whilst Samoa Joe vs Shinsuke Nakumura was brutal yet compelling. Nxt has me looking forward to it each week, something I can't say about the main roster shows.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,955 posts | 3334 
      Reply #2508: Aug 23, 2016 01:33:27 pm
      This is what I wrote about SummerSlam on a wrestling forum;

SmackDown tag match was nowhere near as good as the one they actually had on SmackDown. And either American Alpha or Uso's are turning heel after that result. Which, in all honesty, is probably for the best. They're comfortably the best two teams on SmackDown, so should be feuding over the Tag Titles initially - whenever SmackDown gets them - and therefore one of those sides has to turn heel.

The way Cole was bigging up Zayn/Neville as a team, suggests they may actually stick around for a while as a team (NXT Alumni as a name maybe?). Maybe just a couple of months before the Cruiserweight division really kicks in on RAW and they can have a jealousy angle over that belt. Dudley's still have communication problems and nothing going any further than that with them.

Sheamus and Cesaro was good enough entertainment if it was the first time you've seen them go at it. If it's the third time in a month then it was nothing special. Rather predictable outcome to.

Then the proper show started. Enzo/Cass remain the best thing in the company, Jeri-KO remain the second best thing in the company. Their feud has everything it needs to be outstanding.

Echoing all the surprise at Charlotte regaining the Women's Title already but given how far up Ric's arse they are, it probably shouldn't be all that surprising. The actual match didn't excite me either, the  Razor's Edge/hurricanrana spot came about with Charlotte just holding a hand out waiting for Sasha to put her hand there. And the move in the corner that fu**ed Sasha's back up looked like it didn't go totally to plan. What are the odds on Dana being the next challenger? Charlotte out on RAW saying she's proven she needs nobody in her corner and just fucks Dana off leading to her turning face and being the challenger. I feel they'll hold Bayley off until a bigger moment (Rumble/Mania/day after Mania). Sasha will probably have her rematch tonight on RAW or at Clash of the Champions.

As expected the highlight of the IC Title match was Maryse. F**k me she looked special last night. The in-ring action was bland. Miz tries but without a real foe, his reign as champion isn't as big as it should be.

Cena and Styles put on an amazing match. They work so well together, as two of the world's best performers should do. Given the interaction with the Club backstage, I was expecting them to get involved but thankfully they didn't. They just allowed Styles to go over clean (with a bloody mouth). Now he'll be moving upwards, ready to take on and presumably dethrone Ambrose. There's nothing else for him to do on SmackDown other than that. A bit of time off for Cena would be good for him but I don't know if SmackDown can afford to lose his drawing power.

Tag Title match was a real let down from the start. Jon Stewart should never be near a WWE ring again. Gallows and Anderson shouldn't be doing doctor skits any more (was this all a ploy just to get people calling him Doc Gallows?). The crowd popped like F**k for Big E though, which is a good thing. He can be a huge star on his own. Demolition got a mention on commentary, that's gotta be a first in a real long time. Could this mean they're going into the Hall of Fame this year? (a bit like they only started mentioning Kendrick/London once Kendrick was in the Cruiserweight Classic)

I actually enjoyed Ambrose and Ziggler, maybe just because Ambrose won. It was him who seemed to be more heelish during the match though which was a surprise. Taking the piss out of Zigger, trash talking. He was very Kevin Owens like in his antics.

I wasn't overly surprised to see Nikki return or to pick up the decisive pin fall in the women's six tag match. Why they had Carmella be the one to take the fall is another matter. You've called these up for a reason, why have them eating defeats this early? Throw Naomi as the loser. Ah well F**k it. The match was nothing special.

Are all new WWE Title just gonna be the same design? WWE, Womens and now the Universal are all just a WWE logo in the middle. Can't be creative with storylines or title designs by the looks of things. Rollins and Balor performed a decent enough match but it just felt flat and I think showing everybody The Demon King on RAW was a real reason for it. On that note, if he's the Demon King then he should have completely different music for that character rather than doing the same thing as he does as Finn with the throwing the arms into the air and that. Right result though. Be interesting to see where they go from here with him.

I didn't like the Rusev/Reigns brawl, it just made Rusev look like a bi*ch. He lost on RAW, he's the one who couldn't compete at SummerSlam, he's the one who can't defend his wife. The brawl could have happened where both looked like monsters, both look even. Right now Reigns looks like a big deal, Rusev looks like his punching bag.

I'm obviously in the minority here but I enjoyed Lesnar/Orton. It was the match I was expecting of Lesnar twatting him, though I thought after the way they've built it up that Orton was going to get the win. Initially I thought the ending wasn't meant to be that way as Lesnar backed away. But then when he went back for more, I thought then yeah this was meant to happen. And once Shane came down, Orton moved over to the corner I was fully expecting him to RKO Lesnar to end the show. Blood everywhere but him still standing tall at the end. But alas it just was Brock giving Shane an F5.

Overall, I thought it was a decent enough show. Ranallo and Graves are my favourite commentators, the other four can F**k off. Otunga has one tone, JBL is still sh*te (and still taking swipes at Saxton) Saxton is still that mate who you try and make sure doesn't get invited to the night out and Cole, I've just never had any time for. Jojo is F***ing stunning and as a ring announcer, I'd say an improvement on Lillian Garcia.
      The Kopite91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,654 posts | 246 
      Reply #2509: Aug 25, 2016 03:09:05 pm
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8d4SLA4HYp0

Never had any interest in The Miz or anything he has tried to do with the character, but this is gold! A great shoot with a lot of truth and a gritty side of Miz. They have my interest, now I just hope they can run with it!
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,955 posts | 3334 
      Reply #2510: Sep 12, 2016 05:49:37 pm

shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #2511: Oct 05, 2021 12:42:22 am
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581