Trending Topics

Next match: Atalanta v LFC [Europa League] Thu 18th Apr @ 8:00 pm - Pre Match Topic
      Stadio di Bergamo

Today is the 18th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P31 W9 D10 L12

Artists 'imitating God'

Read 2946 times
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Artists 'imitating God'
      Jul 01, 2009 12:32:57 pm
      There's been a few artists over the years that have almost tried to mimic a God in their music videos, does anyone have an opinion on this?

For example,

Jarvis Cocker interrupted Michael Jackson's live performance of 'Earth' as it was almost like he was making out he was the 'messiah':

Jarvis Cocker Interrupts Michael Jackson's Earth Song 1996

There was also Madonna who famously cause some controversy with her performances of 'Live to Tell':

madonna on the cross

I'm sure there are many others.

Do you think there's nothing in it, they are simply adding to the impact/powerfulness of the song?

Or do you think it's wrong for them to almost suggest that they are a God-like character?
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,253 posts | 2855 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Re: Artists 'imitating God'
      Reply #1: Jul 01, 2009 01:35:36 pm
      Jarvis Cocker :lmao:

Well, I'm really not religious at all, but I think it is not on. I know a lot of people are, and they should respect their feelings and beliefs.

But interestingly the two examples, are both American, a place where some religious beliefs border on the, (do not want to offend here) fundamental, and the two performers are old enough to know better, fantastically rich, and alot of people revere them as Gods, i.e. they can do no wrong, so what do you expect from these two? IMO
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #2: Jul 01, 2009 01:41:25 pm
      I suppose you could say some things celebrities do nowadays are even more controversial I guess.

They both know it's outrageous, and they both know 'there's no such thing as bad publicity'.

Whether using religion is right or wrong though, well I reckon there will be a lot of differing opinions on that. I'm not religious so it doesn't affect me too much but I could understand if some people found this offensive.
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,253 posts | 2855 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #3: Jul 01, 2009 01:50:38 pm
      Not too sure Gary Glitter will agree on the "bad publicity" thing. ::)

As I said I'm not religious, so I guess it does not affect me either, but it does piss me off. Plus, using religion to monetary gain must be a no no.
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,184 posts | 912 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #4: Jul 01, 2009 08:55:51 pm
      Publicity seekers
      YANK_LFC_FAN
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,507 posts | 426 
      • Timid men prefer the calm of despotism!
      Reply #5: Jul 02, 2009 12:06:01 am
      I just chalk it up to "showmanship". I dont think its a big deal.
      Jarvis Cocker :lmao:

Well, I'm really not religious at all, but I think it is not on. I know a lot of people are, and they should respect their feelings and beliefs.

But interestingly the two examples, are both American, a place where some religious beliefs border on the, (do not want to offend here) fundamental, and the two performers are old enough to know better, fantastically rich, and alot of people revere them as Gods, I.e. they can do no wrong, so what do you expect from these two? IMO
      The true "Fundamentalists" are a minority in this country. They get a lot of press because they talk the loudest.

However, their are fundamentalists in one way or another in every country. Whether its Al Qaeda, Shinning Path, Anti-abortionists.  Even football has "fundamentalism" in one way or another.  Celtic v Rangers, The Old Firm.. Sectarian and Fundamentalism is the same thing. If you follow Celtic strictly because you hate Protestants your a fundamentalist. I think the rivalry now has more "Bad Blood" in it than actual sectarian divisions.

Quick Reply