Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P27 W14 D8 L5

The Film Discussion Thread.

Read 706732 times
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Re: The Film Discussion Thread.
      Reply #4669: Dec 17, 2015 02:08:25 am
      Finallt got a round to seeing Jack Reacher, it's a very good film, well put together, nicely paced but Cruise is not the 6' 5" built like a brick shithouse Jack Reacher. Some really good performances in it as well.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #4670: Dec 18, 2015 03:55:58 am
      Star Wars 7 carries on from where the first trilogy left off in where you get that immersive Star Warsy feel, from the cinematography, to the action and the score! Absolutely epic, epic and epic film, can't wait for 8!!!
      « Last Edit: Dec 18, 2015 04:19:50 am by PurpleMonkey »
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,449 posts | 4584 
      Reply #4671: Dec 19, 2015 08:41:48 pm
      Just about to watch 'Force Awakens' with the kids..
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,449 posts | 4584 
      Reply #4672: Dec 20, 2015 12:35:02 am
      Disappointed with the Force Awakens....
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,500 posts | 4839 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #4673: Dec 20, 2015 10:57:50 pm

I'm just not into it all me. Watched a couple of them as a kid but not my thing now.

Keep getting this urge to be a tw*t and tell somebody who is going to watch it about the spoiler thing.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,611 posts | 3844 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #4674: Dec 20, 2015 11:20:36 pm

It was great.
      Although if you're a J.J. Abrams fans you know what's going to happen and it does the same as he did with Star Trek.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,822 posts | 2455 
      Reply #4675: Dec 21, 2015 03:07:24 pm

Me too mate.

Had its moments good effects, acting and definitively recaptured some of the feel of the original trilogy but the pace was too relentless, the comedy too screwball, the story overly simplistic and lifted straight from A New Hope. Was also disappointed with John Williams score it was lacking any memorable themes.

I'm hoping the next movie has a bit more originality, is less frenetic so the story can breathe, and tones down on the comedy side. If they can achieve this the next episode could be very good.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,449 posts | 4584 
      Reply #4676: Dec 21, 2015 04:36:22 pm
      Me too mate.

Had its moments good effects, acting and definitively recaptured some of the feel of the original trilogy but the pace was too relentless, the comedy too screwball, the story overly simplistic and lifted straight from A New Hope. Was also disappointed with John Williams score it was lacking any memorable themes.

I'm hoping the next movie has a bit more originality, is less frenetic so the story can breathe, and tones down on the comedy side. If they can achieve this the next episode could be very good.

Agree Baz, I actually thought the acting was a bit woody and predictable & JJ could have done much much more with the story, I hope the next episode exceeds expectation & takes it down the path some expected.
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #4677: Dec 24, 2015 04:07:33 am
      Just seen The Revenant starring Leonardo DiCaprio and Tom Hardy. I must say, it's probably the best film I've seen for a while, definitely this year. Great acting by both men, especially Leonardo. 9/10. Must watch.

Saw Legend a couple of days ago, again with Hardy. I've been hanging for a year to watch this and was slightly underwhelmed. Hardy played his part exceptionally well but there wasn't much variation from the The Kray's with Martin Kemp. 7/10.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #4678: Dec 24, 2015 05:25:56 am
      Just seen The Revenant starring Leonardo DiCaprio and Tom Hardy. I must say, it's probably the best film I've seen for a while, definitely this year. Great acting by both men, especially Leonardo. 9/10. Must watch.

Saw Legend a couple of days ago, again with Hardy. I've been hanging for a year to watch this and was slightly underwhelmed. Hardy played his part exceptionally well but there wasn't much variation from the The Kray's with Martin Kemp. 7/10.

Yeah just watched those two myself mate. Found The Revenant a bit hard going at times as the pain and misery is portrayed  so well... It's actually based on a true story that is even more gruesome than the film. 8/10

Legend I enjoyed, thought they tried to make Reggie a bit too nice ... but maybe he was :) As you say there was nothing new in it which disappoined me a little considering all the biographies and stories that must have been written since the Kemp version. It did keep me watching it so 7/10 is about right.

Really enjoyed The Martian even though it is a little cliched, but it's definitely worth watching if you haven't seen it. Matt Damon adds a little that Bruce Willis wouldn't have.  8/10

Bridge of Spies was a surprise package for me. Good film but nothing like I expected. Again based on a real story. 7/10

Just watching Spotlight at the moment, you will love this if you haven't seen it. Again based on a true story about how the Catholic Church cover up of paedophiles was exposed by journalists in Boston. I think this may be another 8/10 but I am only half way through it.

Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #4679: Dec 24, 2015 07:57:33 am
      Yeah just watched those two myself mate. Found The Revenant a bit hard going at times as the pain and misery is portrayed  so well... It's actually based on a true story that is even more gruesome than the film. 8/10

Legend I enjoyed, thought they tried to make Reggie a bit too nice ... but maybe he was :) As you say there was nothing new in it which disappoined me a little considering all the biographies and stories that must have been written since the Kemp version. It did keep me watching it so 7/10 is about right.

Really enjoyed The Martian even though it is a little cliched, but it's definitely worth watching if you haven't seen it. Matt Damon adds a little that Bruce Willis wouldn't have.  8/10

Bridge of Spies was a surprise package for me. Good film but nothing like I expected. Again based on a real story. 7/10

Just watching Spotlight at the moment, you will love this if you haven't seen it. Again based on a true story about how the Catholic Church cover up of paedophiles was exposed by journalists in Boston. I think this may be another 8/10 but I am only half way through it.

Thanks for the recommendations. I'll have a look at Spotlight.
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #4680: Dec 26, 2015 10:38:45 am

Watched Spotlight mate, decent flick that with a good cast. 7/10

Going to give Bridge of Spies a view later.

Any more recommendations S@int?
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #4681: Dec 26, 2015 11:40:25 am
      Watched Spotlight mate, decent flick that with a good cast. 7/10

Going to give Bridge of Spies a view later.

Any more recommendations S@int?

Just finished watching Concussion (Will Smith), can't really recommend it. Another true story about brain injuries in the NFL and the fight to get it accepted that being hit hard on the head repeatedly might not be good for you. 6/10

Just took too long to get going and then seemed to wimp out ...maybe they were worried about being sued if they really went for it?

A Walk in the Woods. I really enjoyed this but not sure why because for a comedy it wasn't that funny. A bit like the Detectorists (tv series) gentle humour well told and acted and for some reason very enjoyable.Might just be my age though mate, so don't blame me if you don't enjoy it.    8/10

Another one I did like but its a bit older was No Escape with Pierce Brosnan, Owen Wilson. 7/10

Watched Spectre as our Christmas film yesterday. Pretty good, was a bit disappointed in Christoph Waltz as the villain, just didn't work   
      for me. Not as good as the last one, but still worth watching. 7/10 

Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #4682: Dec 26, 2015 12:16:46 pm
      A Walk in the Woods. I really enjoyed this but not sure why because for a comedy it wasn't that funny. A bit like the Detectorists (tv series) gentle humour well told and acted and for some reason very enjoyable.Might just be my age though mate, so don't blame me if you don't enjoy it.    8/10

I'll give that one a miss then.  :)

Haven't been a fan of these new bond movies mate.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,256 posts | 4933 
      Reply #4683: Dec 26, 2015 01:36:53 pm
      Watched Spectre as our Christmas film yesterday. Pretty good, was a bit disappointed in Christoph Waltz as the villain, just didn't work   
      for me. Not as good as the last one, but still worth watching. 7/10 

Waltz was a huge disappointment for me as well Saint.

I'm a big fan of his and was expecting a real good Bond villain but I was so underwhelmed.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #4684: Dec 26, 2015 02:45:06 pm
      Waltz was a huge disappointment for me as well Saint.

I'm a big fan of his and was expecting a real good Bond villain but I was so underwhelmed.

Yeah I am a fan of his too mate. I think he tried to play the character understated, but as you say he was just totally underwhelming. I thought that whole part in the desert was poor, must have cost a fortune but got very little in return imo.
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #4685: Dec 26, 2015 06:43:31 pm
      Anyone else seen Star Wars? Big fan of it personally. Can't wait for the next few.

Also seen Bridge of Spies recently, very good watch, love Tom Hanks.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,330 posts | 6384 
      Reply #4686: Dec 26, 2015 08:45:31 pm

Daniel Craig has been the best Bond for me since Connery. Love the new movies. Felt like Brosnan was doing the franchise an injustice.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,330 posts | 6384 
      Reply #4687: Dec 26, 2015 08:46:30 pm

Best movie I've seen in a long time, almost allows me to forget the abortions that were the prequels.
      Firepool
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,274 posts | 224 
      • @Jenns_Design
      Reply #4688: Dec 27, 2015 12:24:08 am
      I enjoyed the newest Star Wars. It was great, much better than the prequels. I am looking forward to the next one.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,256 posts | 4933 
      Reply #4689: Dec 27, 2015 12:29:41 am
      Best movie I've seen in a long time, almost allows me to forget the abortions that were the prequels.

It's possibly my favourite Star Wars film.

Just seen it tonight and loved every minute of it.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,611 posts | 3844 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #4690: Dec 27, 2015 12:31:15 am
      Really enjoyed The Force Awakens.

At a certain point I realised that this was J.J. Abrams doing what he did with Star Wars and it broadcasts what's coming.

That said the tone was perfect and it was kind of the greatest hits of NH & ESB.
      Perfect way to line it up for the next generation of fans.

Rey is a badass.

Won't say anymore.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #4691: Dec 28, 2015 09:51:34 am

Trumbo is worth a watch mate. Another film based on a true story, about the Hollywood screen writers blacklisted for having been communists. Takes a while to get going but well worth persevering with. Stars Bryan Cranston, Diane Lane, Helen Mirren, John Goodman. 7/10   

Quick Reply