Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

The Film Discussion Thread.

Read 699776 times
      mattmcg
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,410 posts | 103 
      Re: The Film Discussion Thread.
      Reply #5382: Apr 30, 2018 08:34:58 am
      See that’s the thing, I didn’t buy the part I was supposed to get emotional about.

I was the same.  It's absolutely brilliant and lived up to the hype, but that part had no emotional impact for me either. 

After digesting it and reading other comments, and reminding myself it is Part 1 then I'm cool with it.

Didn't feel like two and half hours either...could have easily sat for another 3 hours.  A solid 9/10, up there with the best of Marvel and shits all over Justice League.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #5383: Apr 30, 2018 08:40:59 am
      See that’s the thing, I didn’t buy the part I was supposed to get emotional about.

More after the movie than during the movie :) I went from 5-0 against Roma to 5-2 at the end ;D

Part 2 has a lot to live up too now..
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #5384: Apr 30, 2018 11:27:23 am
      More after the movie than during the movie :) I went from 5-0 against Roma to 5-2 at the end ;D

Part 2 has a lot to live up too now..

I forgot it was the 1st of 2, at the time.

Was a rollercoaster, with some great moments.

I loved it, but it think it was brutal for my kids at the end.
      Had to have a chat with them, which turned into a full debrief and the promise of another installment.

Some very well put together moments considering the amount they had to get through.
      My eldest said "They're rushing it" at some point, and this was in a 3 hour film.

They did very well to move from the dark parts to the humour.
      At times it jarred a bit, but impossible not to given the content.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,958 posts | 8461 
      Reply #5385: Apr 30, 2018 03:06:14 pm
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #5386: Apr 30, 2018 03:32:41 pm
      Um, quick question for all you lot who has seen Avengers IW. Do I need to watch Black Panther before I head to the cinema this weekend? :( I kinda skipped it.
      AlwaysTheKop
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,208 posts | 1418 
      • CHAMP19NS.
      Reply #5387: Apr 30, 2018 03:53:22 pm
      Um, quick question for all you lot who has seen Avengers IW. Do I need to watch Black Panther before I head to the cinema this weekend? :( I kinda skipped it.

I wouldn’t say it’s a necessity but I would personally watch Black Panther first.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,050 posts | 6294 
      Reply #5388: Apr 30, 2018 04:04:09 pm

I haven't seen Black Panther yet. So I didn't know who some of those characters were, but I don't think it mattered as far as my watching IW.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #5389: Apr 30, 2018 07:50:53 pm

Watch it bro.. Trust me.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #5390: May 02, 2018 01:52:09 pm

Most of the main arcs are away from Wakanda, but watch it anyway because it's a great film, and it'll allow you to understand where the battle setting and some of the new tech has come from.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #5391: May 06, 2018 11:37:04 pm

Haven't seen Unforgiven yet which is annoying as it's been one I've been intending on catching for years!

Finally did the decent thing and watched this after picking it up when I spotted it scouring the DVD's in the record/dvd store down the road.

Fantastic film! Complex and not your typical Western - very gritty, honest and one that leaves the viewer deciding where they stand on the moral fibres of each character. Hard to know where to stand on the Eastwood's character as the dividing line between heroes and villains is blurry and pretty much non existent in this one for sure. I suspect this will be one that will reward more and more on repeated viewings.
      « Last Edit: May 06, 2018 11:43:44 pm by Frankly, Mr Shankly »
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #5392: May 08, 2018 05:02:48 pm
      Anyone here a Horror fan? I would recommend , A Dark Song. Probably one of the best horror flims I have seen.

As for Avengers IW, I thought it was good, a lot better than the other 2 Avenger films. Will be interesting to see what happens in part 2 (released 2019), but before it arrives, we'll get to see Ant-man 2, Ms Marvel and then Spiderman 2 (I wonder if it's before or after IW), can't wait!!!
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #5393: May 08, 2018 05:04:24 pm
      Finally did the decent thing and watched this after picking it up when I spotted it scouring the DVD's in the record/dvd store down the road.

Fantastic film! Complex and not your typical Western - very gritty, honest and one that leaves the viewer deciding where they stand on the moral fibres of each character. Hard to know where to stand on the Eastwood's character as the dividing line between heroes and villains is blurry and pretty much non existent in this one for sure. I suspect this will be one that will reward more and more on repeated viewings.

I have still yet to see it! Not a huge Western fan, but I know it's one of those classics that need to be watched. I will for sure get round to it, same with the Godfather trilogy and Harry Potter :D
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,050 posts | 6294 
      Reply #5394: May 08, 2018 05:47:26 pm

Yea man, this movie is the one all other westerns should be compared to.

No one in this film is the “good guy” which mimics life more than the white hat cowboy in most westerns.

Some absolutely fantastic lines as well.

“Deserves got nothin to do with it.”

FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,050 posts | 6294 
      Reply #5395: May 08, 2018 05:48:24 pm
      So I started watching TLJ again on my flight to Phoenix this week and I think it’s even worse than I remembered. The director should really be put in jail, what an awful movie.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #5396: May 08, 2018 05:57:32 pm
      So I started watching TLJ again on my flight to Phoenix this week and I think it’s even worse than I remembered. The director should really be put in jail, what an awful movie.

Don't worry, time traveling is canon in the Star Wars universe now, maybe once KK gets sacked, we'll have someone wipe TLJ and FA out of the SW universe/canon.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,050 posts | 6294 
      Reply #5397: May 08, 2018 06:37:22 pm
      Don't worry, time traveling is canon in the Star Wars universe now, maybe once KK gets sacked, we'll have someone wipe TLJ and FA out of the SW universe/canon.
      I was ok with FA, I mean it was at least somewhat of a return to the originals after the abomination that was the prequels. But TLJ.....I mean I think I like Jar Jar Binks better than Rose. What a horrible character she was.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,116 posts | 4880 
      Reply #5398: May 08, 2018 07:09:33 pm

I thought it was poor as well when I seen it on release and had high hopes after The Force Awakens.

Yea man, this movie is the one all other westerns should be compared to.

No one in this film is the “good guy” which mimics life more than the white hat cowboy in most westerns.

Some absolutely fantastic lines as well.

“Deserves got nothin to do with it.”

Unforgiven is a masterpiece although the best Western in my view is Once Upon A Time In The West.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #5399: May 08, 2018 08:11:29 pm
      As I'm not a Star Wars fan I've not seen the latest reboots, although they definitely look intriguing. But why such a divergence of opinion between audience and critics on The Last Jedi? Don't think I've known a film that has as big a gulf in differing receptions between the two audiences.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,743 posts | 2436 
      Reply #5400: May 08, 2018 08:27:03 pm
      As I'm not a Star Wars fan I've not seen the latest reboots, although they definitely look intriguing. But why such a divergence of opinion between audience and critics on The Last Jedi? Don't think I've known a film that has as big a gulf in differing receptions between the two audiences.

Because The Last Jedi basically pissed all over fans of the OT and also fans of The Force Awakens.

It's Disney garbage.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #5401: May 08, 2018 08:44:23 pm

Totally ignores FA and is Inconsistent, producer and director pushes their political agenda's into the film, ruins Luke (Hamill has been out spoken about this), Mary Sue, No lightsaber vs Lightsaber battles... but mainly poor story telling/writing.

Kathleen Kennedy (producer) said in an interview that the reason why males are killed off/weak is because females needed role models , hence the fluctuation of Mary Sue's in the film. Also, apparently, if we didn't like TLJ, it's because we are frightened of female dominance, or was it, strong female characters (I can't remember). Either way, how does that explain our love for Sarah Connor, Ripley, Leia, WW etc etc?

And why have critics been praising it? I am sure Disney paid them off, that or no more invites to premiers ;) I remember being so hyped by the film because they were saying it was as good, if not better than ESB :D

After the trash was released and the mass negative reviews circulated, critics pinned it down to hackers or a small handful making multiple accounts and downvoting on sites, and another reason why we supposedly hated it was because our theories were wrong :S
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,116 posts | 4880 
      Reply #5402: May 08, 2018 08:52:01 pm
      Rogue One is a far better film than The Last Jedi.

Still love that final third act.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #5403: May 08, 2018 08:54:14 pm
      Rogue One is a far better film than The Last Jedi.

Still love that final third act.

Love RO. On par with NH and behind ES!!

I'm hope the GOT writers will go down the darker route and follow RO's tone for the next trilogies.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,050 posts | 6294 
      Reply #5404: May 08, 2018 09:57:58 pm
      I thought it was poor as well when I seen it on release and had high hopes after The Force Awakens.

Unforgiven is a masterpiece although the best Western in my view is Once Upon A Time In The West.

Sergio Leone movie? I haven’t seen it but will have to keep my eye out.

Also check out “The life and times of Judge Roy Bean”

Quick Reply