Trending Topics

Next match: Everton v LFC [Premier League] Sat 16th May @ 8:00 pm
      Goodison Park

Today is the 7th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P28 W14 D9 L5

The Film Discussion Thread.

Read 499596 times
      Shabs
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 24,217 posts | 3224 
      Re: The Film Discussion Thread.
      Reply #5750: Dec 08, 2019 10:26:17 pm
      😳

New Order- Blue Monday sounds Boss.. 👍🏼

I miss the 80’s..

https://twitter.com/wonderwomanfilm/status/1203783528749551616?s=21
      srslfc
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 26,220 posts | 2252 
      Reply #5751: Dec 12, 2019 08:54:03 am
      Seen Knives Out last night.

Fantastic film and one of the most enjoyable cinema trips in a while.
      srslfc
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 26,220 posts | 2252 
      Reply #5752: Dec 16, 2019 02:44:21 pm
      Watched Rogue One again yesterday.

Still fantastic and possibly my favourite of all the Star Wars films.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,265 posts | 3589 
      Reply #5753: Dec 23, 2019 03:08:42 am
      Saw Rise of Skywalker and was pleasantly surprised. I had low expectations coming in and I absolutely hated TLJ. This movie redeemed the trilogy for me. I will probably try to go see it again in the theater.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 30,338 posts | 4261 
      Reply #5754: Jan 18, 2020 01:50:39 pm
      Disney culls 'Fox' from 20th Century Fox in rebrand

Disney executives have cut the word "Fox" from their 20th Century Fox film studio in an apparent bid to distance it from operations of the previous owner, Rupert Murdoch.

US media suggests Disney does not want to it to be associated with the media mogul's highly partisan, right-wing Fox News network.

However, Disney has not clarified its reasons.

It bought the studio, with other media operations, in a $71bn deal last March.

20th Century Fox is known for producing some of the biggest films of all-time, including Avatar and Titanic.

Variety magazine, which broke the news about the name change, said it had spoken to an unnamed Disney source, who said: "I think the Fox name means Murdoch, and that is toxic."

Hollywood is known for being liberal, unlike the Australian tycoon.

Disney has also renamed Fox Searchlight Pictures, the arthouse arm, as simply Searchlight Pictures.

Staff emails were changed on Friday, from @fox.com to @20thcenturystudios.com or @searchlight.com.

he original 20th Century Fox company was formed in 1935 following a merger.

Rupert Murdoch's News Corporation bought it in the mid-1980s, and the Fox News channel was created in 1996, growing to become most-watched in the US.

News Corporation was later split into News Corp and 21st Century Fox - which Disney acquired as the parent company of various film and television studios, including the renowned 20th Century Fox.

The Murdoch family retained the news outlets in a spin-off company, Fox Corporation, which is run by Rupert Murdoch's son Lachland.

Variety says the 20th Century Fox studio's well-known fanfare theme and searchlight logo will be retained.

Disney also runs 20th Century Fox Television and Fox 21 Television Studios. Any changes to their names have not been announced.

Disney is already a dominant force in US news, as the owner of the ABC network. It is also hoping to challenge Netflix with its own streaming service Disney+, which launched in the US last year.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-51160219
      srslfc
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 26,220 posts | 2252 
      Reply #5755: Jan 18, 2020 10:59:56 pm

Absolutely stunning film.

See it on the biggest screen you can. As well as a technical triumph it also puts you right in the place of those young men at war a hundred years ago.
      chats
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 22,983 posts | 961 
      Reply #5756: Jan 19, 2020 10:20:37 am

Absolutely stunning film.

See it on the biggest screen you can. As well as a technical triumph it also puts you right in the place of those young men at war a hundred years ago.

First trip to the cinema in almost a year the other day to watch 1917.

Some film. One of the best I've seen in a long time.
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 6,268 posts | 891 
      • YNWA
      Reply #5757: Jan 25, 2020 12:10:15 pm
      Watched 'Greta' with one of the kids [girl], was decent, but imho Neil Jordan is always watchable.

Also saw the latest Star Wars and tbh feel like if I never saw another one would not care, just think they've fallen so far from the first two. In saying that, was probably just about the best of the last three.

Haven't seen 1917 yet, most have something about it to get the Golden Globe, and a lot of people saying its great, but would be disappointed if Joker didn't get the Oscar for best film, just thought that was best movie had seen in years.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 30,338 posts | 4261 
      Reply #5758: Jan 25, 2020 01:51:47 pm
      Watched 'Greta' with one of the kids [girl], was decent, but imho Neil Jordan is always watchable.

Also saw the latest Star Wars and tbh feel like if I never saw another one would not care, just think they've fallen so far from the first two. In saying that, was probably just about the best of the last three.

Haven't seen 1917 yet, most have something about it to get the Golden Globe, and a lot of people saying its great, but would be disappointed if Joker didn't get the Oscar for best film, just thought that was best movie had seen in years.

Joker's my fave film from last year. Considering what it's based on, Todd Philips has made a brilliant thought provoking film and Joaquin Pheonix is f**king brilliant in it.
      srslfc
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 26,220 posts | 2252 
      Reply #5759: Jan 29, 2020 09:15:54 am
      Went to see The Personal History of David Copperfield last night.

An absolute joy and well worth a watch.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,005 posts | 1369 
      Reply #5760: Jan 29, 2020 09:58:51 am

Some film. One of the best I've seen in a long time.

Same mate I don't visit the cinema as much as I used to mainly due to a lack of new movies that interest me.

1917 is the first in a few months and it's definitely a must see on the big screen I feel it would lose all of it's impact on the tv.
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 6,268 posts | 891 
      • YNWA
      Reply #5761: Feb 11, 2020 04:42:19 pm
      Disappointed Joker didn't get the Oscar for best movie. Though at least Phoenix got Best Actor.
      Some proper competition this year unlike some other years, with 1917 and The Irishman in there.
      Haven't seen Parasite, saw some reviews saying it was the movie Joker wanted to be, but it had want to be very VERY good in that case …
      Watched about 25 mins of Marriage Story with the missus, had to pack it in, pile of sh*te, thought Scarlet was crap.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,421 posts | 2760 
      Reply #5762: Feb 16, 2020 02:10:12 pm
      Once Upon A Time In Hollywood.

decent, but not great imo
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 30,338 posts | 4261 
      Reply #5763: Feb 16, 2020 02:59:50 pm
      Once Upon A Time In Hollywood.

decent, but not great imo

I liked it, a typical fu**ed up Tarantino picture, seemed to be more having a dig at Hollywood and stars through the 1960s.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,421 posts | 2760 
      Reply #5764: Feb 16, 2020 06:01:49 pm
      I liked it, a typical fu**ed up Tarantino picture, seemed to be more having a dig at Hollywood and stars through the 1960s.

Oh I liked it well enough.
      When I say great, I meant not his best.
      Pulp Fiction was his best, I think, and this falls some way short of that.
      Jimsouse67
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,026 posts | 664 
      Reply #5765: Feb 17, 2020 12:12:52 pm
      Watched a few over the weekend with the missus.
      Ford V Ferrari ( Le Mans 66 ) fantastic film and plenty to see even for none petrolheads like me,bale on outstanding form once again.
      Knives Out.brilliant film,very very funny,a great cast & a very clever whodoneit.
      The good liar.the lovely Helen Mirren & the brilliant sir Ian McKellen on fine form
      In quite a dark story.
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 28,388 posts | 4325 
      Reply #5766: Feb 17, 2020 02:26:45 pm
      Oh I liked it well enough.
      When I say great, I meant not his best.
      Pulp Fiction was his best, I think, and this falls some way short of that.

I seem to be watching Pulp fiction every few weeks these days and it seems to get better each time. Watching it without Advert Breaks is the only way to fully enjoy it.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,575 posts | 4673 
      Reply #5767: Feb 17, 2020 03:42:33 pm

Feel like I've heard that statement a lot.  Definitely done some big box office numbers.  Agree about the comments that it wouldn't be the same on TV.

Watched it in Amsterdam last month - a rare trip to the cinema for me and the missus too!

Disappointed Joker didn't get the Oscar for best movie.

Still not seen that film!
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,421 posts | 2760 
      Reply #5768: Feb 17, 2020 03:53:37 pm
      I seem to be watching Pulp fiction every few weeks these days and it seems to get better each time. Watching it without Advert Breaks is the only way to fully enjoy it.

The casting was genius.

Travolta, out of nowhere, older, a bit fat, but f**king mesmerising in a role that he played in a really understated way.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 30,338 posts | 4261 
      Reply #5769: Feb 17, 2020 09:14:12 pm
      Watched a few over the weekend with the missus.
      Ford V Ferrari ( Le Mans 66 ) fantastic film and plenty to see even for none petrolheads like me,bale on outstanding form once again.
      Knives Out.brilliant film,very very funny,a great cast & a very clever whodoneit.
      The good liar.the lovely Helen Mirren & the brilliant sir Ian McKellen on fine form
      In quite a dark story.

Really enjoyed Ford v Ferrari, excellent film and thought both Bale and Damon were superb in it.

Watched Jay and Silent Bob Reboot the other night and laughed my arse off, all the usual cameos from their actor mates, but the reboot/remake discussion is on a par with the Star Wars v Lord of the Rings trilogy argument from Clerks 2.
      srslfc
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 26,220 posts | 2252 
      Reply #5770: Mar 28, 2020 09:33:16 pm
      Watched Ocean's 11 for the first time in ages just now.

Still a great watch and Clooney as cool as you remember him.
      Boston not la
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,118 posts | 667 
      Reply #5771: Mar 28, 2020 09:43:11 pm
      I've been watching a few old "Carry on" films....that's how desperate things are! Saying that  they ain't that bad really.
      srslfc
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 26,220 posts | 2252 
      Reply #5772: Mar 28, 2020 09:51:07 pm
      I've been watching a few old "Carry on" films....that's how desperate things are! Saying that  they ain't that bad really.

Can't be doing with Carry  On films myself mate.

Been on at my wife for years about how great Laurel And Hardy were so might eventually try and persuade her to watch a few of those over the coming weeks.
      Boston not la
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,118 posts | 667 
      Reply #5773: Mar 28, 2020 10:06:12 pm
      The carry on's i have are the early black and white ones,before they went all barbara winsorish.Don't mind Laurel and Hardy either.i should maybe check out that steve coogan film one day!
      srslfc
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 26,220 posts | 2252 
      Reply #5774: Mar 28, 2020 10:11:03 pm
      The carry on's i have are the early black and white ones,before they went all barbara winsorish.Don't mind Laurel and Hardy either.i should maybe check out that steve coogan film one day!

Yea the Coogan film is pretty good and he and John C Reilly do great jobs in their roles but still not quite the same as the real deal.

Quick Reply