Trending Topics

Next match: Atalanta v LFC [Europa League] Thu 18th Apr @ 8:00 pm - Pre Match Topic
      Stadio di Bergamo

Today is the 18th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P31 W9 D10 L12

The Film Discussion Thread.

Read 704183 times
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,013 posts | 2088 
      Re: The Film Discussion Thread.
      Reply #6187: Jan 23, 2023 10:41:33 pm
      Did anyone catch the documentary film My Old School on the BBC over Christmas? About a 30 year old who posed as a 16 year old 5th year student in Bearsden in the early/mid 90s. Baffling yet absolutely superb. Well worth every minute of it's 1 hr 40 run time. Would recommend it a hundred times over.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m001gf5s/my-old-school
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,013 posts | 2088 
      Reply #6188: Jan 27, 2023 12:13:42 am
      Just finished re-watching Schindler's List on BBC.

Astonishing piece of film making by all those involved. Spielberg's masterpiece.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,013 posts | 2088 
      Reply #6189: Jan 28, 2023 07:59:20 pm
      Just finished re-watching Schindler's List on BBC.

Astonishing piece of film making by all those involved. Spielberg's masterpiece.

Sticking to the Spielberg theme, I saw The Fabelmans this afternoon.

Absolutely wonderful. Very melancholy and Michelle Williams and Paul Dano are so sweet and sympathetic in their portrayals of Spielberg's parents. You can tell how much he loves his family from this film. The settings of his American suburban upbringing was caught beautifully as well. Deserves all the plaudits it gets.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #6190: Jan 29, 2023 08:06:43 pm
      Banshees of Inisherin - well overrated in my opinion.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,013 posts | 2088 
      Reply #6191: Feb 19, 2023 10:14:54 pm
      All Quiet On The Western Front sweeping up big BAFTAS tonight. Perhaps indicative of how those awards have gone soft in the head because I didn't think it was half as good as deserving of those awards. A good war film for sure, but not a great one. It was almost too on the nose with its violence. That it was centred on psychotic turns of violence rather than the utter futility of the barbarity means it missed the mark badly on being a worthy world war 1 film. The characterisation was almost non existent too meaning that when they came into harms way I could not care less.

And the less said about the pseudo Hans Zimmer score the better. Whatever happened to classical / melody?
      Longy-Shops
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,163 posts | 717 
      Reply #6192: Feb 19, 2023 10:50:41 pm
      Banshees of Inisherin - well overrated in my opinion.
      I can't bring myself to watch it. I have a real aversion to Martin McDonagh ever since his massively overrated Three Billboards fraudulent rubbish.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,143 posts | 4896 
      Reply #6193: Feb 19, 2023 10:57:27 pm
      All Quiet On The Western Front sweeping up big BAFTAS tonight. Perhaps indicative of how those awards have gone soft in the head because I didn't think it was half as good as deserving of those awards. A good war film for sure, but not a great one. It was almost too on the nose with its violence. That it was centred on psychotic turns of violence rather than the utter futility of the barbarity means it missed the mark badly on being a worthy world war 1 film. The characterisation was almost non existent too meaning that when they came into harms way I could not care less.

And the less said about the pseudo Hans Zimmer score the better. Whatever happened to classical / melody?

Still to watch it.

My brother in law says it's amazing but he's very hit and miss.

For me the three outstanding films I've see over the last year for different reasons have been:

Everything Everywhere All At Once

Topgun Maverick

Banshees of Inisheerin

My highlight of tonight was Barry Keoghan winning Best Supporting Actor.

He could have won it for that one scene at the lake with Kerry Condon on its own for me.
      « Last Edit: Feb 20, 2023 12:12:27 am by srslfc »
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,595 posts | 3839 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #6194: Feb 19, 2023 11:02:01 pm
      Still to watch it.

My brother in law says it's amazing but he's very hot and miss.

For me the three outstanding films I've see over the last year for different reasons have been:

Topgun Maverick

Banshees of Inisheerin

My highlight of tonight was Barry Keoghan winning Best Supporting Actor.

He could have one it for that one scene at the lake work Kerry Condon on its own for me.

Similar enough for me (4):

Top Gun: Maverick

Banshees of Inisherin

The Unbearable Weight of Massive Talent
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,143 posts | 4896 
      Reply #6195: Feb 19, 2023 11:03:02 pm
      Similar enough for me (4):

Top Gun: Maverick

Banshees of Inisherin

The Unbearable Weight of Massive Talent

Still to see Massive Talent.

I value your opinion mate so must catch that one.
      Longy-Shops
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,163 posts | 717 
      Reply #6196: Feb 19, 2023 11:09:53 pm
      Anyone else watched The Swimmers?..Nominated for Best British Film
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,382 posts | 3390 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #6197: Feb 19, 2023 11:31:26 pm

The most recent version of all quiet on the western front has gone for the more visceral elements of the story. The book and the original version tend to concentrate more on the characters , the ending is seared on.my memory but the modern version isn't quite so haunting. Perhaps if I hadn't seen the original etc then I would have been more enthusiastic. I thought the music was just right for the way the director approached the film.
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,481 posts | 1640 
      • YNWA
      Reply #6198: Mar 13, 2023 09:46:15 am
      Didn't even finish watching Everything Everywhere all at Once.  Best Picture - gotta be kidding me.

Like Michelle Yeoh, won't argue with her award.

Gave up on the Oscars well before The Joker didn't win best picture.
      Longy-Shops
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,163 posts | 717 
      Reply #6199: Mar 13, 2023 10:35:11 am
      In a year with a film with an exceptionally long title getting the top prize, all I can say is it's an outrage that an equally long titled film failed to pick up Best short animated Film. "An Ostrich told me the World is fake and I think I believe him" is a masterpiece. However well drawn/painted the winning entry is, it doesn't stand up as a story.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,013 posts | 2088 
      Reply #6200: Mar 13, 2023 11:05:51 am
      Didn't even finish watching Everything Everywhere all at Once.  Best Picture - gotta be kidding me.

Like Michelle Yeoh, won't argue with her award.

Gave up on the Oscars well before The Joker didn't win best picture.

Love Michelle Yeoh and I can't think of a female lead I loved more than hers in that film. Shame that the Banshees and Fabelmans didn't scoop up deserved awards but I thought Everything Everywhere... was excellent. And Ke Huy Quan winning best supporting actor topped it all off.
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,481 posts | 1640 
      • YNWA
      Reply #6201: Mar 13, 2023 11:18:59 am
      Love Michelle Yeoh and I can't think of a female lead I loved more than hers in that film. Shame that the Banshees and Fabelmans didn't scoop up deserved awards but I thought Everything Everywhere... was excellent. And Ke Huy Quan winning best supporting actor topped it all off.

It was certainly different.
      But I'd have had Maverick, Elvis and All Quiet on the Western Front ahead of it.
      And I have seen Banshees, Tar, Fablemans.
      Subjective though, I know.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,013 posts | 2088 
      Reply #6202: Mar 13, 2023 12:58:44 pm
      It was certainly different.
      But I'd have had Maverick, Elvis and All Quiet on the Western Front ahead of it.
      And I have seen Banshees, Tar, Fablemans.
      Subjective though, I know.

Kind of glad that didn't win any of the major awards. Anti war films have been done better with far more sympathetic characters to empathise with. I did not care one jot what happened to them in the end.

Good shout on Top Gun: Maverick. Genuinely the best bit of big budget / commercial / pop corn infused film making I've seen in years and years.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,790 posts | 2446 
      Reply #6203: Mar 13, 2023 01:12:41 pm
      Everything Everywhere all at Once was OK, no way it deserves all the praise and awards. It was overly chaotic style over substance. Just didn't resonates with me.

Maverick was the only movie up for awards with any rewatchability. I would consider it a popcorn classic if not a definitive classic.

srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,143 posts | 4896 
      Reply #6204: Mar 13, 2023 09:00:45 pm
      I loved Everything Everywhere All At Once but don't think I'd watch it over and over again.

Top Gun Maverick is the film of the year for rewatch ability by some distance.

I'm disappointed Barry Keoghan didn't win for Banshee's, standout performance of the year for me
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,595 posts | 3839 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #6205: Mar 14, 2023 09:54:19 am
      Top Gun: Maverick not getting more is just snobbery.
      Barry Keoghan not getting anything is linked into the same arc as Brendan Fraser.
      As soon as Brendan Fraser and Ke Huy Quan had their "We're still here" moment
      They were always going to win.

I've no problem with that, people should just see the Oscars for what it is.
      We're all still going to be watching Maverick on repeat.
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,481 posts | 1640 
      • YNWA
      Reply #6206: Mar 14, 2023 10:01:55 am
      Top Gun: Maverick not getting more is just snobbery.

It was a better movie than Everything Everywhere all at Once, hands down.
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,481 posts | 1640 
      • YNWA
      Reply #6207: Mar 14, 2023 10:05:32 am
      I see also they forgot to mention Tom Sizemore and Anne Heche in the list of those who have died.

Maybe there's a cutoff date?   

Still, both pretty high profile and well liked actors to not mention.

chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,253 posts | 2799 
      Reply #6208: Mar 14, 2023 10:17:18 am
      Everything, Everywhere all at Once wasn't really my cup of tea, can see why people liked it but wasn't a big fan.

Did enjoy Banshees though.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,595 posts | 3839 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #6209: Mar 14, 2023 11:44:20 am
      Everything, Everywhere all at Once wasn't really my cup of tea, can see why people liked it but wasn't a big fan.

Did enjoy Banshees though.

Banshees unlucky to come up against EEAAO.

Quick Reply