Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm - Pre Match Topic
      London Stadium

Today is the 27th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W13 D5 L11

The Film Discussion Thread.

Read 706315 times
      jimbo1962
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 877 posts | 102 
      Re: The Film Discussion Thread.
      Reply #6233: Jan 05, 2024 06:13:53 pm
      Indy 5....put a chick in it and make her gay as feck..and lame..

Looks like One Life might turkey on the back of Israeli atrocities.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,318 posts | 6380 
      Reply #6234: Jan 05, 2024 08:01:51 pm
      Godzilla minus one was fantastic.

Definitely one of my films of the year
      Agree. Really enjoyed it.

Just watching Equalizer 3 on Netflix. I love Denzel and always a fan of this series.

Also watched Bank of Dave. One of my favorite movies of last year.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,247 posts | 4931 
      Reply #6235: Jan 05, 2024 08:14:48 pm
      Agree. Really enjoyed it.

Just watching Equalizer 3 on Netflix. I love Denzel and always a fan of this series.

Also watched Bank of Dave. One of my favorite movies of last year.

Bank of Dave is a great little movie.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,050 posts | 2102 
      Reply #6236: Jan 10, 2024 12:28:54 pm
      For the love of god, someone please kill off all superhero films for good. Kill them with fire. Infantile, CGI heavy cack.
      Longy-Shops
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,267 posts | 760 
      Reply #6237: Jan 10, 2024 12:48:24 pm
      For the love of god, someone please kill off all superhero films for good. Kill them with fire. Infantile, CGI heavy cack.
      Can't argue with your sentiment FMS.... They are tedious, vacuous, repetitious and boring to me....but...the UK has some/most of the worlds top VFX companies and employs thousands of creative people, which in turn helps keep the film and TV industry as one of the countries (major) economic assets.
      They are pitifully dull though.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,177 posts | 8552 
      Reply #6238: Jan 13, 2024 06:34:35 pm

They're already doing that aren't they by remaking classic films which turn out to be poorer than the originals.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,247 posts | 4931 
      Reply #6239: Jan 13, 2024 07:09:26 pm
      Watched Donnie Brasco again yesterday, always seem to throw it on every 18 months or so, and as I've said before a real underrated mob movie.

Al Pacino puts in a real low-key performance that for me is one of his best. Doesn't have that shouty showy stuff he sometimes drifts into especially in hi later career.
      gazred
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 828 posts | 298 
      Reply #6240: Jan 14, 2024 09:16:11 pm
      Watched Priscilla at the cinema. It's a good film, better than expected.
      Plot spoiler- Elvis was not very nice to her.
      AlwaysTheKop
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,509 posts | 1476 
      • CHAMP19NS.
      Reply #6241: Jan 15, 2024 09:45:55 am
      Watched Saltburn because of the hype around it… was a decent film but to me very predictable, I’d guessed most of the end plot within the first 30 mins.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,247 posts | 4931 
      Reply #6242: Jan 18, 2024 12:23:14 pm
      Watched Saltburn because of the hype around it… was a decent film but to me very predictable, I’d guessed most of the end plot within the first 30 mins.

Watched it the other day as well.

Emerald Fennel is quite a stylish filmmaker but for me this was a little bit of style over substance. And at times trying to shock for shocks sake.

Still worth a watch as some good performances but not as good as her debut for me.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,247 posts | 4931 
      Reply #6243: Jan 20, 2024 08:32:13 pm
      Watched a couple today and tied together, totally by accident, by Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross. For me one of  the best modern film composers.

The Killer.

Sort of came out of the blue for me being a huge David Fincher fan as I hadn't heard much about it. Great performance form Fassbender and while a good film it seems like almost a throwaway Fincher movie. Sits somewhere in the middle of his filmography as solid, well made but ultimately not a patch on his best work.

Empire of Light

Sam Mendes love letter to cinemas and what a beautifully made film this is. Written and directed by him aided by stunning cinematography from Roger Deakins and a subtle but great score from Reznor and Ross this took me bht surprise a little and sucked me in more thay i thought it would. Olivia Coleman fantastic as always and not one you'd go back to time again but not a bad way to spend a  couple of hours.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,247 posts | 4931 
      Reply #6244: Feb 02, 2024 11:56:41 am
      Watched a couple the other day.

'71 which I've seen before and is a great action film set during the troubles over here in Belfast.

The French Connection. Never seen it before to my own amazement when I realised and a great movie. Tight running time and great story with Gene Hackman superb as Popeye Doyle.

Only thing for me was I was a little bit underwhelmed with the car chase scene, possibly because it's build up so much but for me there has definitely been better.

Frankly, Mr Shankly
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,050 posts | 2102 
      Reply #6245: Feb 02, 2024 07:14:12 pm
      Watched a couple the other day.

'71 which I've seen before and is a great action film set during the troubles over here in Belfast.

The French Connection. Never seen it before to my own amazement when I realised and a great movie. Tight running time and great story with Gene Hackman superb as Popeye Doyle.

Only thing for me was I was a little bit underwhelmed with the car chase scene, possibly because it's build up so much but for me there has definitely been better.

Hmm, that's fascinating. I first saw The French Connection over lockdown and have probably seen it 4 times since then. I love it instantly and it's become probably one of my top 10 films.

Interesting what you say about the car chase scene. I wasn't so aware of the hype surrounding the car chase, in fact I probably wasn't aware there was one in this film before I watched it so it was always something of a bonus to me anyhow. I can't quite put my finger on why I love it so much. Gene Hackman and Roy Scheider are fantastic but it's probably the overall aesthetic of it all that amazes me. It really shows New York and Brooklyn at a time when it was quite a rough city so there's that social history side to it that is great to look back on. You do see glimpses of it's future though, particularly with the construction of the Twin Towers in the background of the dockyard scene with the French actor arriving.

As you say, overall it's just a wonderfully taut, well paced thriller that I'm sure I'll revisit sometime very soon!
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,247 posts | 4931 
      Reply #6246: Feb 04, 2024 08:21:52 pm
      Forgot to say went to the cinema for the first time in ages the other week and seen The Holdovers.

What a delight of a movie and once again Paul Giamatti is superb in this. Easily one of my favourite actors.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,352 posts | 2819 
      Reply #6247: Mar 01, 2024 10:35:17 pm
      Anatomy of a Fall - wonderfully made and engrossing throughout. Sandra Huller was absolutely brilliant.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,809 posts | 2449 
      Reply #6248: Mar 05, 2024 01:14:49 am
      Dune Part 2

I'm just absolutely speechless.

It's the first time I've left the cinema and instantly want to watch it again after I process everything I've just seen.

A visual, aural, emotional triumph of the highest level.

Aside from some of our greatest victories I've not been in such awe watching something on the screen as this movie.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,318 posts | 6380 
      Reply #6249: Mar 05, 2024 03:09:37 am
      Finally watched Oppenheimer. Pretty good, learned a bit and the acting was excellent.
      jimbo1962
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 877 posts | 102 
      Reply #6250: Mar 06, 2024 12:18:38 pm
      Wicked little letters is quirky with some great lines and the always watchable Olivia Colman but the wokery and the all-women-great / all-men-foxyarsedrabbitfuckers message is insulting.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,050 posts | 2102 
      Reply #6251: Mar 06, 2024 09:34:29 pm
      Two film documentaries are absolutely worth watching on iPlayer. Both of a similar theme following people with strong connections and gratitude to the surroundings that they were born and bred in.

Songs of Earth - about an old Norwegian couple (particular focus on the man) living at the head of a fjord. Very meditative film touching on life, death and your surroundings.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m001tv79/storyville-songs-of-earth

and then Heart Valley, a 20 minute short about a shepherd in Wales ruminating on his life, his surroundings and the love of the land around him. You'll feel better having spent 20 minutes in this true soul's presence.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m0019q58/heart-valley
      The-AllMightyReds
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 803 posts | 154 
      Reply #6252: Mar 12, 2024 01:37:34 am
      The Beekeeper.

The plot’s a bit wild but it’s fun as F**k, action from minute 1 to 100 so there is very little room for any of that character build up sh*t or any build up at all really, just goes straight in and you’re on that one way ticket ride until his personal mission is over.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,318 posts | 6380 
      Reply #6253: Mar 12, 2024 02:43:27 am
      The Beekeeper.

The plot’s a bit wild but it’s fun as F**k, action from minute 1 to 100 so there is very little room for any of that character build up sh*t or any build up at all really, just goes straight in and you’re on that one way ticket ride until his personal mission is over.

Want to see this as I’m tired as F**k of these scammers that try to defraud people (especially elderly) and hoping this movie they get what I’d like to give them in real life.
      The-AllMightyReds
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 803 posts | 154 
      Reply #6254: Mar 12, 2024 09:47:29 am
      Want to see this as I’m tired as F**k of these scammers that try to defraud people (especially elderly) and hoping this movie they get what I’d like to give them in real life.

They know no one else will fall for their scams except the vulnerable elderly, they specifically target them but I felt the blowing up of the building where these call centres operated would've sufficed. I didn't expect it to go as far as it ended up going in this 1 but in a weird way it's kinda what made the film  ;D
      Longy-Shops
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,267 posts | 760 
      Reply #6255: Mar 24, 2024 03:41:04 pm
      Greatly enjoyed watching 'Get Shorty" (itvx player) I'd read the book (Elmore Leonard) years ago..so was a tad curious. Fantastic ensemble cast all at the top of their game: Travolta, Hackman, DeVito, Gandolfini....but for me the standout was the always fantastic Dennis Farina as Bones.
      Films about the film industry can often be dull but Barry Sonnenfield kept it light and fun throughout.

Quick Reply