Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W11 D6 L12

The Film Discussion Thread.

Read 707115 times
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,256 posts | 4933 
      Re: The Film Discussion Thread.
      Reply #5106: May 06, 2017 03:12:06 pm
      Saw 'Get Out' the other night with the missus. Well F***ing worth your time.

If you're not familiar, here's the trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sRfnevzM9kQ

It's on my list to see.

Looks good.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #5107: May 06, 2017 03:22:39 pm
      Logan, OK not really gripping.
      Hidden Figures, really enjoyed it.
      Kong: Skull Island, OK, it'll be on ITV2 soon.
      The Accountant, great film.

Totally agree pups. Logan and Kong - they could/should have been so much more but there was something missing.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #5108: May 08, 2017 10:58:32 pm
      Was really looking forward to Alien Covenant and avoided the trailers and spoilers, but it's getting average reviews and it's supposedly similar to Force Awakens where it's basically a reboot of the original. Can't say I am overly as excited now.
      Jimsouse67
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,490 posts | 1478 
      Reply #5109: May 09, 2017 11:01:06 am
      Sorcerer.( A.K.A wages of fear )
      This film is a remake of the French classic 'wages of fear' It tells the story of four outcasts all on the run( in the first part of the film you see a segment for each character and why they are on the run) who end up meeting in a South American village, just keeping their heads down and away from the trouble they have run away from, but when an oil well explodes in the local village the four men are assigned to transport cargoes of nitroglycerin (Dynamite) over 200 miles of dangerous jungle to help control the disaster and in return they will get a hefty pay-out and more importantly legal citizenship, all very simple but told so well by the man behind the camera William friedkin,
      Roy Scheider gives yet another masterclass in acting so much so I think it betters his role in The  French connection which was another fantastic  film directed by friedkin,there is one scene in this film ( the bridge crossing ) which builds so much tension it's one of the best scenes I've watched in a film ever & a fantastic piece of film making.
      The 70's produced some fantastic gritty films and is one of my favourite decades for film in general & sorcerer is right up there with the best the decade offered,highly recommended.
      As a side note the soundtrack by the fantastic Tangerine Dream is bloody epic.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,459 posts | 4587 
      Reply #5110: May 09, 2017 11:15:49 am
      Watched Guardians of the Galaxy 2 Saturday with the kids & loved it..

Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #5111: May 09, 2017 11:18:37 am
      Saw 'Get Out' the other night with the missus. Well f**king worth your time.

If you're not familiar, here's the trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sRfnevzM9kQ

Enjoyed that. Pretty good.

I watched Ghost in a Shell, load of old tripe that was.  ;D

I saw Gifted the other day, okay I suppose.

Gonna watch Hunter's Prayer tonight.

Looking forward to King Arthur, Blade Runner 2049, Alien, and Dunkirk. They're on my wait and watch list.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,235 posts | 8573 
      Reply #5112: May 09, 2017 05:45:57 pm
      Watched Guardians of the Galaxy 2 Saturday with the kids & loved it..

Have already watched on a stream, didn't think it was as good as the first, but definitely funnier.

Going this weekend with my nephew to watch it again though :)
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,256 posts | 4933 
      Reply #5113: May 12, 2017 10:05:13 pm
      Finally got to see Logan today.

Really good.

Get Out as well and I was a little underwhelmed after all the praise it got
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #5114: May 13, 2017 02:21:44 pm
      Finally got to see Logan today.

Really good.

I enjoyed Logan as well.
      Quite a bit darker than previous films, and very well done imo.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,256 posts | 4933 
      Reply #5115: May 13, 2017 06:57:25 pm
      Just got round to seeing Guardians of the Galaxy this afternoon.

Hell of a lot of fun.

RedWilly

• 9,197 posts | 1641 
      Reply #5116: May 15, 2017 08:54:41 am
      I, Daniel Blake - had never heard of it but it was on a flight. Brilliant British movie and very hard hitting. Definitely worth a watch and at around 90 minutes in length it doesn't feel like a drag to watch either.

Also watched Passengers - decent film but nothing spectacular. Best part is seeing Jennifer Lawrenson throughout :D
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #5117: May 16, 2017 12:17:20 am

I was worried about that myself being the 3 month gap between its US release and release here in Oz, but I found it was an incredibly tight and crisp thriller, well acted, well paced, and with a few nice little twists. Genuine laughs at times as well.

I think where the "hype" came from is its themes of racism in modern day America, which I think was done very well. I remember hearing that Chance the Rapper bought out cinemas of tickets and just told people to turn up because he wanted people to see it. It's an important film in that sense. But beyond that, just a very well done thriller and for a first timer in Jordan Peele, especially coming from his background, unexpected and incredible debut.

Saw Alien: Covenant last night. Nothing new in the sense of Alien films, very reboot-ish in the pacing of the Alien aspect - but F***ing fun to watch as always. What was really fun was the follow-up to Prometheus, and the character of David. I won't say much more, but if you liked Prometheus (I know it was a mixed reaction, but I enjoyed it) then you'll enjoy the story here, I think. Look forward to where Scott goes with the next one, I feel he's gotta step it up though. Covenant was quite enjoyable, but the next one will want to up the ante I think.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #5118: May 20, 2017 11:08:15 pm
      Watched Flight on Netflix. Didn't see it when it came out a few years back. Very good film. Denzel Washington excellent. Another strong directorial effort by the excellent Robert Zemeckis!
      RobieSlick
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,758 posts | 259 
      Reply #5119: May 25, 2017 12:34:28 pm
      Sorcerer.( A.K.A wages of fear )
      This film is a remake of the French classic 'wages of fear' It tells the story of four outcasts all on the run( in the first part of the film you see a segment for each character and why they are on the run) who end up meeting in a South American village, just keeping their heads down and away from the trouble they have run away from, but when an oil well explodes in the local village the four men are assigned to transport cargoes of nitroglycerin (Dynamite) over 200 miles of dangerous jungle to help control the disaster and in return they will get a hefty pay-out and more importantly legal citizenship, all very simple but told so well by the man behind the camera William friedkin,
      Roy Scheider gives yet another masterclass in acting so much so I think it betters his role in The  French connection which was another fantastic  film directed by friedkin,there is one scene in this film ( the bridge crossing ) which builds so much tension it's one of the best scenes I've watched in a film ever & a fantastic piece of film making.
      The 70's produced some fantastic gritty films and is one of my favourite decades for film in general & sorcerer is right up there with the best the decade offered,highly recommended.
      As a side note the soundtrack by the fantastic Tangerine Dream is bloody epic.

You should have seen (possibly see) the original Wages of Fear. Although in B/W. it is 100% better than this one IMHO.
      RobieSlick
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,758 posts | 259 
      Reply #5120: May 25, 2017 12:36:47 pm
      Just got round to seeing Guardians of the Galaxy this afternoon.

Hell of a lot of fun.

My wife and I both went to see GOTG and fell asleep in the movie as it was such a lot of rubbish (we are not old BTW). Since then I have tried to complete it on a DVD and haven't been able to do so. I didn't think much of this one and will certainly *not* go to see GOTG 2.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #5121: May 25, 2017 02:42:42 pm
      Saw Trainspotting 2, and didn't really know what to think.

I enjoyed it, it made various hat tips to the first film, but it seemed to have almost an air of desperation around it, as though some characters had become a kind of caricature of themselves.

I'll have to watch it again, but probably not as many times as I watched the original ;)
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,253 posts | 2855 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #5122: May 28, 2017 05:29:06 pm
      Showtimes for King Arthur: Legend of the Sword.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1972591/  7.3/10

Don't waste your money. Poor acting, Beckham was the second best actor, Jude Law didn't even break into a sweat.

Started OK, then went into a Lock Stock& 2 Smoking Barrels type of cinema-photography type of style, then went down the pan fast.

Wait for it to be in ITV2
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,235 posts | 8573 
      Reply #5123: May 30, 2017 02:44:19 pm
      Showtimes for King Arthur: Legend of the Sword.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1972591/  7.3/10

Don't waste your money. Poor acting, Beckham was the second best actor, Jude Law didn't even break into a sweat.

Started OK, then went into a Lock Stock& 2 Smoking Barrels type of cinema-photography type of style, then went down the pan fast.

Wait for it to be in ITV2

Haha watched that the other week, laughed my head off at everyone having some sort of Mockney-type accent.
      RedWilly

• 9,197 posts | 1641 
      Reply #5124: May 30, 2017 09:04:59 pm
      Haha watched that the other week, laughed my head off at everyone having some sort of Mockney-type accent.

Seeing the clip of David Beckham trying to act was enough to put me off!!
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,235 posts | 8573 
      Reply #5125: May 30, 2017 11:49:11 pm
      Seeing the clip of David Beckham trying to act was enough to put me off!!

hahaha with that line that he says as well, Beckham will deffo be doing some grotto work next year ;)
      vulcan_red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,580 posts | 212 
      Reply #5126: May 31, 2017 04:31:27 am
      Saw John Wick Chapter 2 with my brother for his birthday. Didn't know anything about, kwno about Keanu Reeves though. I was thinking it was going to be complete crap. It was excellent. Keanu Reeves remains an enigma. He can't act at all, yet he is good in the roles like this that. They are farcical and it works. In one bit he must kill 200 people in a first person shooter sequence. I hate video games, especially first person shooter crap, but it works. I am going to see the first one.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #5127: Jun 02, 2017 08:10:46 pm
      Watched a great fu**ed up horror the other night called, The Void! You horror fans should go in blind like I did and  watch it, you won't be disappointed!!!!!
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,256 posts | 4933 
      Reply #5128: Jun 10, 2017 08:38:12 pm
      Just watched The Young Offenders.

Great wee Irish film and hilarious in parts. Well worth a watch and is in Netflix.

Quick Reply