Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

The Film Discussion Thread.

Read 699495 times
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Re: The Film Discussion Thread.
      Reply #5175: Sep 05, 2017 04:02:35 pm
      Bleed For This.

Decent.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,948 posts | 8458 
      Reply #5176: Sep 05, 2017 04:13:32 pm

Enjoyed that, all about boxer Vinny Pazienza.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #5177: Sep 05, 2017 06:01:57 pm
      Enjoyed that, all about boxer Vinny Pazienza.

I watched a lot of his fights back in the days before sky.
      There was a bloke who collected fight films, and he rented them out, which was the only way to watch some of the good fights.

Never really rated Pazienza as a boxer, but there's no doubting his determination.
      IrishRed_IO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,479 posts | 342 
      • Formerly InertObject
      Reply #5178: Sep 09, 2017 12:17:14 am
      Just Before I Go... film from 2014 with Seann William Scott. Enjoyed it... right amount of comedy and right amount of drama.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #5179: Sep 09, 2017 12:26:38 am
      I didn't mention the vehicles or planes.
      I didn't mention the civilian boat.

I did mention the architecture and cranes.
      I did mention the train carriage.
      I did mention the battle ships.
      I did mention the weather.

There was 300,000 evacuated, the film did not have 300,000 on the beach.

Anachronisms
      The film shows several vehicles of a later second world war type. Understandably, period vehicles are difficult to come by, the vast majority having been left behind at the time.

The Luftwaffe did not start painting fighter aircraft nose cones yellow until later in 1940. However Christopher Nolan has admitted this was done deliberately to make the German aircraft easier to identify by the audience.

Modern port unloading cranes in sweeping shots looking inland, including when the plane glides down the beach to a landing.

The railway carriages in the final scenes date from the 1950s and have seat patterns from the 1980s.

There are two instances when the German Heinkel He-111 comes under attack by a British Supermarine Spitfire. Both times, the Heinkel sounds like it fires cannons in its defense. The Heinkel He-111 H-3 variant, the one used during the time period, did not have cannons as defensive armament. It was armed with MG 17 Machine Guns as defensive armament.

During the scenes shot in Weymouth on a couple of occasions you can see the top of the Weymouth "Sealife Tower" which was built circa 2012.

On a few occasions the cranes of the container terminal and chimneys of the Arcelor Mittal plant in the modern day port of Dunkirk are clearly visible in the background.

Modern road signs and road markings can be seen in Weymouth.

The Dunkirk promenade shows modern lamp posts with new lighting, which would not have been around in 1940.

The Luftwaffe (German Air Force) fighter aircraft used during the time of the events at Dunkirk would most likely be the Messerschmitt Bf 109E. The plane used in the movie is a Hispano AviaciĆ³n HA-1112, which is a Spanish variant of the Bf-109 introduced after the war, powered by the Rolls-Royce Merlin engine, like the Spitfire. HA-1112 are commonly used as substitutes for Bf 109s as they are almost identical in appearance save for the HA-1112's less-streamlined cowling.

When the airplane is on the beach, there are two quick shots of the sand dunes, behind which modern container cranes can be seen jutting high into the air.

In the background of many shots of Kenneth Branagh at the end of the Mole pier, a large blue and green warehouse can be clearly seen - not a 1940s building in construction.

In the first scene, while running through the street, one of the houses on the right has a modern day aluminum frame on the facade.

In the background of the scenes on the beach giant "modern" post 1970 container cranes can be clearly seen. These giant walkers were developed in the 1980s to facilitate removal of shipping containers and did not exist in 1940. They appear in the background of many scenes including the climatic final scene.

Double glazed train windows and container cranes in Dunkirk port.

When the Spitfire is shown landed on the beach, ship-to-shore container cranes are visible in the background above the sand dunes. This type of crane first came into use in the 1950's.
      http://www.imdb.com/title/tt5013056/trivia?tab=gf&ref_=tt_trv_gf

Not realistic.

Ok, but apart from that what have the Romans ever done for us?
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,251 posts | 2854 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #5180: Sep 09, 2017 10:01:35 am
      Ok, but apart from that what have the Romans ever done for us?

Splitter.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #5181: Sep 09, 2017 10:48:31 am
      Mmm, fancy some badgers noses
      bmck
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,404 posts | 1611 
      • YNWA
      Reply #5182: Sep 09, 2017 10:20:46 pm
      Erk, just watched 'Passengers', the one with Jim Chris Pratt and Jennifer Lawrence.  I remember reading Empire when it was released and thinking, OK, 4 stars, promising.
      I'd give it 2 :(  am not averse to a bit of romance (very occasionally) but this was soulless shiny fluff.
      Guess you can sell movies with nothin more than a couple of star names.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,743 posts | 2436 
      Reply #5183: Sep 10, 2017 03:01:15 pm
      IT was entertaining but not really scary. The acting and effects were excellent.

Never read the book but the 1990 tv movie scared the sh*t out of me when I was a kid.

Haven't watched it since then so I'd guess it's pretty lame now.

But I do think the Tim Curry's Pennywise will leave a longer lasting mark over the latest incarnation.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,948 posts | 8458 
      Reply #5184: Sep 10, 2017 04:13:59 pm
      IT was entertaining but not really scary. The acting and effects were excellent.

Never read the book but the 1990 tv movie scared the sh*t out of me when I was a kid.

Haven't watched it since then so I'd guess it's pretty lame now.

But I do think the Tim Curry's Pennywise will leave a longer lasting mark over the latest incarnation.

Seen the latest incarnation, looks like something they forgot to put in the movie Mars Attacks!!

One of those films along with Nightmare on Elm Street that should of been well left alone.
      bmck

• 9,404 posts | 1611 
      • YNWA
      Reply #5185: Sep 10, 2017 10:27:40 pm
      Can't wait to see The Snowman. Like the Jo Nesbo books, and Headhunters was a fun movie. Interesting to see Fassbenders take on Harry Hole, the man who put me onto Jim Beam!
      Can't be any worse than Cruise's Jack Reacher. Jack is 6'5" and in 'Tripwire', after digging swimming pools for months, was described as looking like a condom filled with walnuts. Not exactly a spit for Tom.
      IrishRed_IO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,479 posts | 342 
      • Formerly InertObject
      Reply #5186: Sep 10, 2017 10:48:48 pm
      Sing Street.

Irish movie, set in the 80's. What's not to like about it. Probably give it a good 8/10. Light hearted film. :)
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,948 posts | 8458 
      Reply #5187: Sep 11, 2017 02:42:04 am
      Watched Wind River, thought was a decent film.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #5188: Sep 11, 2017 03:17:49 pm
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,948 posts | 8458 
      Reply #5189: Sep 12, 2017 02:21:06 am
      Jimsouse67

• 9,275 posts | 1436 
      Reply #5190: Sep 13, 2017 08:18:07 am
      The Day of the Jackal( not the god awful remake but the 1973 original) ,decided to give this a watch seeing as I'd not seen it for 25+ years and it's still a stone wall classic,based on the Frederick Forsyth novel about  a plot to kill Charles de Gaulle, the President of France.
      For me it's one of the finest thrillers ever made and highly recommended for those who have not seen it.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,948 posts | 8458 
      Reply #5191: Sep 13, 2017 11:17:16 am
      The Day of the Jackal( not the god awful remake but the 1973 original) ,decided to give this a watch seeing as I'd not seen it for 25+ years and it's still a stone wall classic,based on the Frederick Forsyth novel about  a plot to kill Charles de Gaulle, the President of France.
      For me it's one of the finest thrillers ever made and highly recommended for those who have not seen it.

Can't think of many remakes that stand up to the originals. Day of the Jackal was on a few weeks back, enjoyed watching it and yeah the Bruce Willis remake is F***ing sh*t!!

srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #5192: Oct 21, 2017 11:38:25 pm
      Can't think of many remakes that stand up to the originals. Day of the Jackal was on a few weeks back, enjoyed watching it and yeah the Bruce Willis remake is F***ing sh*t!!

My dad won't agree but I much prefer the True Grit remake.

Seen Blade Runner 2049 the other day and I thought it up there with the best I've seen this year.

As good a sequel to the original as you could hope for.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,948 posts | 8458 
      Reply #5193: Oct 22, 2017 12:56:20 am

Seen Blade Runner 2049 the other day and I thought it up there with the best I've seen this year.

Yeah watched that as well, as easily as good as the original.

Agree about True Grit too, thought the remake was a very good film.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,948 posts | 8458 
      Reply #5194: Oct 22, 2017 12:59:48 am
      Watched The Foreigner with Jackie Chan & Pierce Brosnan. Thought it was quite a good film, a lot more acting from Chan and a lot less Kung Fu. Brosnan literally comes across as though he's giving a depiction of Gerry Adams. Won't go into too much, but definitely not the type of film you'd expect Chan in. Was impressed by it.
      mattmcg
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,410 posts | 103 
      Reply #5195: Oct 26, 2017 06:01:57 pm
      Watched Wind River last night, from the same guy who wrote Sicario (which I didn't like) and Hell or High Water (which I loved).  It was a slow-burn and pretty grim but I was gripped throughout.  Highly recommend if you like murder mysteries, bleak landscapes and an insight into Native American life.

Also watched War for the Planet of the Apes recently.  Not what I expected at all but enjoyed it a lot.  What a F***ing good trilogy that has turned out to be.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,743 posts | 2436 
      Reply #5196: Oct 26, 2017 06:08:58 pm

Though Blade Runner 2049 was awful personally total snooze fest with a meandering story that went nowhere ultimately.

And I liked the original.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,948 posts | 8458 
      Reply #5197: Oct 26, 2017 07:10:18 pm
      Watched Wind River last night, from the same guy who wrote Sicario (which I didn't like) and Hell or High Water (which I loved).  It was a slow-burn and pretty grim but I was gripped throughout.  Highly recommend if you like murder mysteries, bleak landscapes and an insight into Native American life.

Also watched War for the Planet of the Apes recently.  Not what I expected at all but enjoyed it a lot.  What a F***ing good trilogy that has turned out to be.

Absolutely loved Sicario, superb film, but was really impressed by Wind River. Still yet to watch Hell or High Water, so will have a look out for that.

Honestly just haven't been able to get into any of the new Planet of the Apes films.

Quick Reply