Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

The Film Discussion Thread.

Read 699490 times
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Re: The Film Discussion Thread.
      Reply #5405: May 08, 2018 10:00:16 pm
      Totally ignores FA and is Inconsistent, producer and director pushes their political agenda's into the film, ruins Luke (Hamill has been out spoken about this), Mary Sue, No lightsaber vs Lightsaber battles... but mainly poor story telling/writing.

Kathleen Kennedy (producer) said in an interview that the reason why males are killed off/weak is because females needed role models , hence the fluctuation of Mary Sue's in the film. Also, apparently, if we didn't like TLJ, it's because we are frightened of female dominance, or was it, strong female characters (I can't remember). Either way, how does that explain our love for Sarah Connor, Ripley, Leia, WW etc etc?

And why have critics been praising it? I am sure Disney paid them off, that or no more invites to premiers ;) I remember being so hyped by the film because they were saying it was as good, if not better than ESB :D

After the trash was released and the mass negative reviews circulated, critics pinned it down to hackers or a small handful making multiple accounts and downvoting on sites, and another reason why we supposedly hated it was because our theories were wrong :S

They’ve turned Luke, Leia, Chewie and 3PO into useless shell characters with no sense of history or importance. It’s ridiculous.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #5406: May 08, 2018 10:05:15 pm
      Sergio Leone movie? I haven’t seen it but will have to keep my eye out.

And there was you dishing out advice on Westerns. :f_tongueincheek:

Leone it is mate. An absolute classic.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #5407: May 08, 2018 10:07:24 pm
      And there was you dishing out advice on Westerns. :f_tongueincheek:

Well...I’m not wrong ;D
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #5408: May 08, 2018 10:14:38 pm

If you watch Once Upon A Time and then still think Unforgiven is better then we can have a discussion.

Until that time you are in the dark my friend. ;D
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,326 posts | 2823 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #5409: May 08, 2018 10:36:53 pm
      I adore both Sergio Leone and Clint Eastwood. Once Upon A Time in the West and Unforgiven are two masterpieces, as is The Good, The Bad and the Ugly, though it may look dated now, I still enjoy re-watching all of those on occasions. Sergio Leone's films come with the advantage of having Ennio Morricone's soundtracks - the man finally received an Oscar a couple of years ago; he's a genius.

Those are not just among my favourite westerns, but my favourite films more generally.

Other westerns I love are High Noon (with Gary Cooper) and Butch Cassidy & the Sundance Kid (with Paul Newman), The Wild Bunch (directed by Sam Peckinpah), The Searchers (with John Wayne) and The Outlaw Josey Wales (also Clint Eastwood)
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #5410: May 08, 2018 10:40:46 pm
      I adore both Sergio Leone and Clint Eastwood. Once Upon A Time in the West and Unforgiven are two masterpieces, as is The Good, The Bad and the Ugly, though it may look dated now, I still enjoy re-watching all of those on occasions. Sergio Leone's films come with the advantage of having Ennio Morricone's soundtracks - the man finally received an Oscar a couple of years ago; he's a genius.

Those are not just among my favourite westerns, but my favourite films more generally.

Other westerns I love are High Noon (with Gary Cooper) and Butch Cassidy & the Sundance Kid (with Paul Newman), The Wild Bunch (directed by Sam Peckinpah), The Searchers (with John Wayne) and The Outlaw Josey Wales (also Clint Eastwood)

I love them both as well mate as you and I have discussed before.

My Dad is a massive Western fan and if you asked him nothing comes close to The Searchers. Huge John Wayne and John Ford fan he is.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,326 posts | 2823 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #5411: May 08, 2018 10:43:58 pm
      On the subject of Ennio Morricone - this is beautiful:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WSkyoyyvnAY

He makes this already good film (Cinema Paradiso) be a lot better with songs such as that.

Once Upon A Time in America, also directed by Sergio Leone with Morricone's music, is one of my all time favourites (for a long time I had that one as my favourite film when pressed for an answer to that million dollar question)
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,326 posts | 2823 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #5412: May 08, 2018 10:50:05 pm
      I love them both as well mate as you and I have discussed before.

My Dad is a massive Western fan and if you asked him nothing comes close to The Searchers. Huge John Wayne and John Ford fan he is.

John Ford was a master of the genre for sure! So many beautiful scenes in Monument Valley! And he also directed many other great films, most notably for me The Grapes of Wrath (based on one of the greatest novels of the 20th century in my humble opinion) and How Green Was My Valley. I personally always liked westerns but also films that centered around historical periods of hardship for the working people, as is the case of those two stories, beautifully told by a great director.
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #5413: May 09, 2018 01:36:38 am
      Still in the minority that really enjoyed The Last Jedi I guess :D

As for westerns, I think the Dollars trilogy deserves a lot of praise for changing the way we perceive "heroes" in westerns.

If you haven't seen any of them, particularly Good/Bad/Ugly and want to watch spoiler free sometime, skip the rest of this. It's been 50+ years though so seriously, I don't feel that bad.

Anyway :D

The Good, the Bad, and The Ugly in particular. MWNN/Blondie leaving Tuco early on once he's expended use of him, only to have it turn on him to the point of death, and then the uneasy truce between them when they realise they can use each other to find a purely monetary goal. Angel Eyes is the prototypical villain, but is he really any worse when it's all said and done? They're all just looking after themselves.

My favourite scene in that movie is when a dusty column of Union soldiers roll up looking like confederates and Tuco starts blasting off against the union. The leader pats off his uniform, clearing the dust to actually show he's wearing blue, not grey. If any scene just sums up the theme of his westerns, that is it right there.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #5414: May 09, 2018 02:07:56 am
      Still in the minority that really enjoyed The Last Jedi I guess :D

As for westerns, I think the Dollars trilogy deserves a lot of praise for changing the way we perceive "heroes" in westerns.

If you haven't seen any of them, particularly Good/Bad/Ugly and want to watch spoiler free sometime, skip the rest of this. It's been 50+ years though so seriously, I don't feel that bad.

Anyway :D

The Good, the Bad, and The Ugly in particular. MWNN/Blondie leaving Tuco early on once he's expended use of him, only to have it turn on him to the point of death, and then the uneasy truce between them when they realise they can use each other to find a purely monetary goal. Angel Eyes is the prototypical villain, but is he really any worse when it's all said and done? They're all just looking after themselves.

My favourite scene in that movie is when a dusty column of Union soldiers roll up looking like confederates and Tuco starts blasting off against the union. The leader pats off his uniform, clearing the dust to actually show he's wearing blue, not grey. If any scene just sums up the theme of his westerns, that is it right there.

There are so many scenes from that film I love, probably more than any other. Tuco getting tortured while the camp inmates sing that slow ballad is strangely moving. Also the scene where Tuco is dragging Blondie across the desert is wonderful and beautifully interrupted by the emergence of the horse drawn carriage full of dead soldiers.

The set pieces are mind blowing as well! The bridge scene and Tuco using the train to free himself from the handcuffs are well documented for just how 'marginal' they were and certainly things you'd never get past health and safety precautions these days! The logistics and organisation must have been nightmarish and had that WOW factor comparable to the Battle of Aqaba scene, from another great epic from the 60s, in Lawrence of Arabia.

srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #5415: May 09, 2018 06:17:43 pm
      Watched Justice League this afternoon.

Utter rubbish.
      bmck
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,404 posts | 1611 
      • YNWA
      Reply #5416: May 09, 2018 06:44:03 pm
      Watched 'Dunkirk' last night.
      Know it got rave reviews, but I was a bit 'meh' with it.
      Kind of like a cross between and traditional war movie and a documentary, that was my impression of it. anyway.
      Hardly any talking at the start of the movie, and not a huge amount throughout.
      Like Nolan as director, the Batman's were great, The Prestige, liked Intersteller.
      Maybe trying something a bit different with it.
      Won't be re-watching any time soon.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #5417: May 09, 2018 06:55:30 pm

Utter rubbish.

;D. Nearly as bad as TLJ!!!

PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #5418: May 09, 2018 06:56:59 pm
      Kind of like a cross between and traditional war movie and a documentary, that was my impression of it. anyway.
      Like Nolan as director, the Batman's were great, The Prestige, liked Intersteller.

Haven't seen it yet, but was told and read some reviews that it is one of Nolan's weakest films.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #5419: May 09, 2018 07:32:20 pm

Utter rubbish.

Yea, it was.

I finished my second viewing of TLJ on my flight home from Atlanta this morning. The movie is even worse than I remembered. I mean it’s literally worse than at least two of the prequels.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #5420: May 09, 2018 08:26:39 pm
      Yea, it was.

I finished my second viewing of TLJ on my flight home from Atlanta this morning. The movie is even worse than I remembered. I mean it’s literally worse than at least two of the prequels.

At least the prequels explored the Sith and Jedi, where as TLJ was more focused on political views of KK about feminism, animal cruelty and... um... giving us a taster of what's to come for Mary Poppins, and also trying to copy Marvel's light hearted comedic tone, It just wasn't a Star Wars movie, more a shitty written sci fi film!

We need a film spoiler thread so we can rant 24/7 how sh*t TLJ is and how it has ruined the original trilogies ! I haven't seen any Star Wars films since my first viewing of TLJ! I just can't watch the originals now knowing what becomes of our very much loved characters, it just hurts!!! FS, I can't move on!!!!
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #5421: May 09, 2018 09:21:48 pm
      Yea, it was.

I've no motivation to watch TLJ again. I love Star Wars and the latest for me was such a let down after Force Awakens and the fantastic Rogue One.
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,251 posts | 2854 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #5422: May 09, 2018 09:31:59 pm
      I've no motivation to watch TLJ again. I love Star Wars and the latest for me was such a let down after Force Awakens and the fantastic Rogue One.

Yep, dreading the last instalment of Star Wars, but looking forward to Solo, but why was it not released on May the 4th?
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #5423: May 09, 2018 09:33:40 pm
      Yep, dreading the last instalment of Star Wars, but looking forward to Solo, but why was it not released on May the 4th?

Too close to Avengers I'd imagine.

Although with Disney owning both you'd have thought they'd have worked it the other way round and had Solo on May 4th.
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,251 posts | 2854 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #5424: May 09, 2018 09:53:44 pm
      Too close to Avengers I'd imagine.

Although with Disney owning both you'd have thought they'd have worked it the other way round and had Solo on May 4th.

That's what I meant, sorry, as Solo is in a week or two. Big missed opportunity.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #5425: May 10, 2018 09:59:16 pm

To me, Dunkirk was an extension of the concepts behind the soundtrack from TDK.
      Zimmer and Nolan pushing the minimalism or pointillism from soundtrack to movie.
      The long moments of silence leading to powerful scenes.
      Aligned with single musical notes strung out.
      I loved it, but then I'm a massive Nolan and Zimmer fan. 
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #5426: May 10, 2018 10:16:51 pm
      To me, Dunkirk was an extension of the concepts behind the soundtrack from TDK.
      Zimmer and Nolan pushing the minimalism or pointillism from soundtrack to movie.
      The long moments of silence leading to powerful scenes.
      Aligned with single musical notes strung out.
      I loved it, but then I'm a massive Nolan and Zimmer fan. 

I love it as well and watched it again this afternoon.

Love how he uses the three different timelines for the Mole, the boats and the spitfires.
      bmck
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,404 posts | 1611 
      • YNWA
      Reply #5427: May 11, 2018 05:09:53 am
      Haven't seen it yet, but was told and read some reviews that it is one of Nolan's weakest films.

I see some of the guys here really liked it, best to just go and watch it and see for yourself :)

Quick Reply