Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

The Film Discussion Thread.

Read 699328 times
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Re: The Film Discussion Thread.
      Reply #5543: Nov 04, 2018 10:40:49 pm
      The film would have been a 10/10 if they went for a twist where instead of actually showing Armstrong flying out to space and landing on the actual moon,  they instead decided to have the "moon landing" on a film set :D

Imagine if the moon landing was faked in a tv studio...but then imagine if First Man, in recreating the "fake moon landing"' filmed the "fake moon landing" on the actual moon?
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #5544: Nov 04, 2018 10:48:15 pm
      Imagine if the moon landing was faked in a tv studio...but then imagine if First Man, in recreating the "fake moon landing"' filmed the "fake moon landing" on the actual moon?

Or filmed Armstrong dropping his kecks and doing a moon on the moon
      bmck
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,404 posts | 1611 
      • YNWA
      Reply #5545: Nov 07, 2018 02:11:15 pm
      Saw 'Three Billboards' the other night.
      Hadn't seen it in the cinema. Thought it was very good.
      Really like Frances McDormand, Sam Rockwell & Woody Harrelson anyway, and they are super in it - particularly McDormand and Rockwell.

Also saw 'The Hateful Eight' couple of weeks back. Well, when I say 'saw', it took me two days to finish it, and I almost didn't bother. It improved in the 2nd half imo.  But I think I am officially sick of Quentin Tarantino, churning out the same smart ass stuff over and over.  Maybe am getting old.

Watched 'Hostiles' again too - and liked it even more. Love the scene at the end with Cyrus Lounde and his 'boys' - and agree with FL Red, the cinematography is lovely, even in that scene.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #5546: Nov 15, 2018 11:38:19 pm
      Just finished Warrior on Film 4.

That ending still gets me everytime.

ConzS
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,321 posts | 1016 
      Reply #5547: Nov 16, 2018 07:54:45 am

Same mate, it’s probably the song.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #5548: Nov 16, 2018 01:16:11 pm

Good film that.

Just finished watching the Ronnie Coleman film "The King" on netflix, and the toll bodybuilding has taken on him is really awful.
      It's not my thing (I think those guys look ridiculous) but there's no denying the amount of work they put into it.
      Such a shame for the chap, he was at the top of his sport, and now is on crutches, stuffed full of pain meds, with surgery after surgery, just to try and ease his pain.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #5549: Nov 19, 2018 02:12:48 pm
      The Ballad of Buster Scruggs.

As always with the Coen brothers, a bit strange, funny in places, dark in others.
      I really like their films, so I enjoyed this one.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #5550: Nov 20, 2018 06:25:08 pm
      Same mate, it’s probably the song.

Love that song, scene that got to me was when Tom Hardy enters and all the marines stand and start singing. Great film & think Nick Nolte is superb as the dad.

ConzS
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,321 posts | 1016 
      Reply #5551: Nov 20, 2018 06:33:13 pm
      Love that song, scene that got to me was when Tom Hardy enters and all the marines stand and start singing. Great film & think Nick Nolte is superb as the dad.
      It’s a great song and a great film mate. Need to give it a watch again, it’s been a while.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #5552: Nov 23, 2018 06:43:50 pm
      https://youtu.be/O9EvBdzHvqI

As much as I think there are too many remakes I loved Jon Favreau's Jungle Book and this looks awesome.

Can't wait.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,965 posts | 3047 
      Reply #5553: Nov 24, 2018 10:26:22 pm
      The Ballad of Buster Scruggs.

As always with the Coen brothers, a bit strange, funny in places, dark in others.
      I really like their films, so I enjoyed this one.

Just watched it - enjoyed it overall but was a bit uneven.

On separate note - finally got round to watching “Seven Psycopaths”.......brilliant, loved it.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #5554: Nov 25, 2018 04:18:39 pm
      All Is Lost starring Robert Redford on Netflix.

Thought it was great.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #5555: Nov 25, 2018 04:27:02 pm
      Got around to watching they shall not grow old , the colourised world war 1 footage by peter jackson, an astonishing piece of film making, brilliantly matching up the old soldier's words with film
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #5556: Nov 25, 2018 06:18:53 pm
      Just watched it - enjoyed it overall but was a bit uneven.

On separate note - finally got round to watching “Seven Psycopaths”.......brilliant, loved it.

Funny how people see things differently :) but then I'd had some vino and a bit of White Widow courtesy of my youngest when I watched it  :laugh:

Now admittedly, it's been a while since I watched Seven Psycopaths, but I do remember being pretty unimpressed.
      That said, it was interrupted a few times, so maybe that was the reason, and I should watch it again minus the interuptions.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,965 posts | 3047 
      Reply #5557: Nov 25, 2018 06:46:13 pm
      Funny how people see things differently :) but then I'd had some vino and a bit of White Widow courtesy of my youngest when I watched it  :laugh:

Now admittedly, it's been a while since I watched Seven Psycopaths, but I do remember being pretty unimpressed.
      That said, it was interrupted a few times, so maybe that was the reason, and I should watch it again minus the interuptions.

Isn’t it - I love that though (as long as the opinions are presented as such and aren’t just hobby horses)......

My comments a bit more negative reading back than I meant. I may have had a minor cob on as we weren’t going out for our usual 2-3hrs in the local because the wife threw a moody....... ;)
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #5558: Nov 25, 2018 08:35:35 pm
      Isn’t it - I love that though (as long as the opinions are presented as such and aren’t just hobby horses)......

My comments a bit more negative reading back than I meant. I may have had a minor cob on as we weren’t going out for our usual 2-3hrs in the local because the wife threw a moody....... ;)

I didn't find it negative.  ;)
      I think I know exactly what you mean by uneven; it's almost like the film is taking a breather in certain places before picking up speed again, which to me is a feature of a lot of Coen brothers films.

On the other hand, it might just be the white widow  :laugh:
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,965 posts | 3047 
      Reply #5559: Nov 25, 2018 08:51:49 pm
      I didn't find it negative.  ;)
      I think I know exactly what you mean by uneven; it's almost like the film is taking a breather in certain places before picking up speed again, which to me is a feature of a lot of Coen brothers films.

On the other hand, it might just be the white widow  :laugh:

Yeh I do like the Coen boys.

In terms of Seven Psycopaths I get why not everyone’s cuppa. I just love the bizarre mix of brutal language and imagery with the beautiful and mundane in Martin McDonagh’s stuff.
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #5560: Nov 25, 2018 11:24:54 pm
      Yeh I do like the Coen boys.

In terms of Seven Psycopaths I get why not everyone’s cuppa. I just love the bizarre mix of brutal language and imagery with the beautiful and mundane in Martin McDonagh’s stuff.

Seven Psychopaths rewards more after a few viewings - I've seen it probably 6-7 times now and it's up there with In Bruges as one of my favourite films. Find In Bruges is a deeper film, but there's certainly a lot more depth to Seven Psychopaths than may appear on the surface. Brilliantly written.

Me and the mrs went to Liverpool One for a couple films while we were over there, double featured the new Halloween followed by Overlord. Both brilliant for me, Halloween a worthy followup to the original (F**k all the middle sh*t off and it is a worthy accompaniment). Overlord was just a brilliant popcorn flick, great action and gore, but was also impressed with the performances of the actors - stepped up what could easily be a direct to video kinda flick. Well worth seeing in Imax for the action set pieces, particularly the opening.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #5561: Nov 26, 2018 12:26:35 pm
      Seven Psychopaths rewards more after a few viewings - I've seen it probably 6-7 times now and it's up there with In Bruges as one of my favourite films. Find In Bruges is a deeper film, but there's certainly a lot more depth to Seven Psychopaths than may appear on the surface. Brilliantly written.

Interesting, and a bold statement to compare it to In Bruges, an absolutely wonderful film.
      Time to give it another watch I think :)

Thanks for the info.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #5562: Dec 04, 2018 01:39:32 pm
      Netflix; The Humanity Bureau

Swerve it.
      Awful sh*te.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #5563: Dec 08, 2018 09:23:12 pm
      Watched One Hour Photo starring Robin Williams. Creepy as anything but what an actor he was. Who didn't love the man? Sorely missed.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #5564: Dec 10, 2018 07:08:42 pm
      First time watching Blade Runner 1997 last weekend, and I must say, I thoroughly enjoyed it and can see why some call it a masterpiece!! Surprisingly (or maybe not surprisingly), I found myself for the replicants towards the end despite their killing spree and was surprised at the ending. Another thing lingering at the back of my head was Decker, is he or isn't he? ;)

Anyway, decided to watch Blade Runner 2049 soon after, and rarely do you get a sequel better than the first movie. It probably ranks up there with the likes of, T2, Aliens, Empire Strikes back  and The Dark Knight as one of the best sequels ever. Oh, and it answered the Decker question for me too :)
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #5565: Dec 28, 2018 01:41:35 pm
      Has anyone seen Bird Box?

Any good?

Quick Reply