Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

The Film Discussion Thread.

Read 699771 times
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,050 posts | 6294 
      Re: The Film Discussion Thread.
      Reply #5566: Dec 28, 2018 02:08:55 pm
      I went and saw Holmes and Watson, had low expectations but I like Ferrel and Reilly (especially together) so I figured I’d give it a try, I know most folks are hating on it but I thought it was pretty funny. A couple of parts I laughed so hard I cried.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,743 posts | 2436 
      Reply #5567: Dec 30, 2018 07:07:04 pm
      Has anyone seen Bird Box?

Any good?

It's decent like a cross between A Quiet Place and 28 Days Later but not as good as either of those. Nothing original but well acted and tense.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,115 posts | 4880 
      Reply #5568: Dec 30, 2018 08:12:10 pm
      It's decent like a cross between A Quiet Place and 28 Days Later but not as good as either of those. Nothing original but well acted and tense.

Just finished it.

Agree it's decent but nothing more.
      RedWilly
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,146 posts | 1619 
      Reply #5569: Jan 02, 2019 07:27:59 pm

Any good?

Worth watching but don’t think it’s worthy of all the hype made of it on social media.
      ConzS
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,321 posts | 1016 
      Reply #5570: Jan 02, 2019 08:45:33 pm

Any good?
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #5571: Jan 03, 2019 01:23:10 pm
      Worth watching but don’t think it’s worthy of all the hype made of it on social media.

I'll put it on my list in the "might be worth a watch at some stage, when I'm bored and have run out of good stuff to watch" section.

:laugh:
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,115 posts | 4880 
      Reply #5572: Jan 03, 2019 01:53:28 pm
      Watched Ballad of Buster Scruggs and Roma over the holidays.

Ballad of Buster Scruggs I did enjoy but found the stories got weaker as they went on.

Roma is definitely a beautifully made film but I found it boring and struggled to stay interested.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #5573: Jan 03, 2019 01:59:54 pm

Ballad of Buster Scruggs I did enjoy but found the stories got weaker as they went on.

Roma is definitely a beautifully made film but I found it boring and struggled to stay interested.

Really enjoyed Ballad of Buster Scruggs, but yes it did taper off a bit.
      LMW
      • Forum Graeme Souness

• 364 posts | 112 
      Reply #5574: Jan 03, 2019 02:09:25 pm
      In my opinion, 2018 wasn't filled with many great movies.

My favourite was surprisingly one called "Searching" - a man's daughter goes missing and he sets out to find her. The movie has just about everything and really pulls on the heart strings.

In fact, if you haven't seen it, I'd challenge you to watch it without feeling slightly emotional ;)
      bmck

• 9,404 posts | 1611 
      • YNWA
      Reply #5575: Jan 06, 2019 09:46:58 pm

Saw it the other night, and would go with that. Better than some, not as good as others.

Saw 'In Darkness' after a night out, started off OK but just got silly. And Emily Ratakowski was barely in it :(     [she is top tot]

One surprise over Xmas was 'Avengers: Infinity War'.  Got a bit bored with the superhero flics, and didn't watch this when it came out, or even read about it, so didn't know the ending when I watched it.   Thought it was really good, and will probably tune into 'Endgame' to see what happens the dust particles next :)
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,115 posts | 4880 
      Reply #5576: Jan 07, 2019 11:43:49 pm
      Bohemian Rhapsody winning a couple of Globes.

Has annoyed the critics again but I loved that film and timeline liberties withstanding was the most enjoyable film I've seen in the cinema last hear.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,115 posts | 4880 
      Reply #5577: Jan 08, 2019 02:41:54 pm
      Just watched I, Daniel Blake.

Very powerful stuff and a must watch if you haven't seen it.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,050 posts | 6294 
      Reply #5578: Jan 08, 2019 04:29:12 pm

Agree on Buster Scruggs...in fact I turned it off after the weird vignette with Liam Neeson. I liked the first one and wish it would have just been a whole movie about Scruggs.

Just watched BirdBox. Meh...suspenseful here and there, but really a pretty shallow film with some major question marks and overall a bit slow for my liking.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,115 posts | 4880 
      Reply #5579: Jan 09, 2019 03:49:18 pm
      Watched Spike Island again last night.

Not a fantastic film by any stretch but with The Stone Roses as the soundtrack I always enjoy it.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #5580: Jan 09, 2019 04:29:10 pm
      I have Netflix and Amazon and I have developed a terrible habit of fast forwarding through films so a 90 min film takes about 15 mins.
      I cant remember when a film last had me hooked for its full length. Having said that Bad Santa 2 was jaw droppingly funny and disgusting in equal measures.
      ConzS
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,321 posts | 1016 
      Reply #5581: Jan 09, 2019 05:20:15 pm
      I have Netflix and Amazon and I have developed a terrible habit of fast forwarding through films so a 90 min film takes about 15 mins.
      Haha that’s bizarre mate. If something bored me enough that I felt the need to fast forward, I’d probably just stop watching altogether.
      Jimsouse67

• 9,275 posts | 1436 
      Reply #5582: Jan 12, 2019 09:53:08 am
      I cant remember when a film last had me hooked for its full length. Having said that Bad Santa 2 was jaw droppingly funny and disgusting in equal measures.
      Was good but the first one had me in tears.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,021 posts | 2742 
      Reply #5583: Jan 12, 2019 10:22:20 am
      Bird Box would have been better as a TV series IMO.

Good concept but not executed that well.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #5584: Jan 12, 2019 11:30:04 am
      the original "The Day the Earth Stood Still" currently on Film4.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #5585: Jan 13, 2019 12:59:41 am
      Some of the films I've watched in recent weeks:

Full Metal Jacket - not seen it for years. Cold, tense but thrilling. Kubrick always the master.

Paddington - fine family film. Warm and very British in its humour. Been ages since I sat down to a film that could be considered family and this did not disappoint.

Paddington 2 - even better than the first one! In putting in great comedic turns, Brendon Gleeson and Hugh Grant steal the show in this one. So heartwarming.

Philomena - Judi Dench and Steve Coogan at the top of their games in this real life story. Smart, funny in places with brooding anger in  parts that never erupts or takes over the movie thanks to the forgiving nature of Dench's character at the end.

Empire of the Sun - Second viewing of this forgotten gem in the Spielberg canon. Incredible acting from a young Christian Bale whose childhood is gradually broken down by war. A great war movie.
      bmck

• 9,404 posts | 1611 
      • YNWA
      Reply #5586: Jan 20, 2019 01:58:37 am
      Kids wanted to see 'Bohemian Rhapsody', so took them tonight. I generally bypass music/sport movies cause the music/sport tends to look contrived, but man this was really good. They had some good tunes.

And 'We are the Champions' - all I could think of in the car on the way home was that I want to be singing that, while pissed out of my F***ing head, at the end of this season :)
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #5587: Jan 21, 2019 02:00:30 pm
      Kids wanted to see 'Bohemian Rhapsody', so took them tonight. I generally bypass music/sport movies cause the music/sport tends to look contrived, but man this was really good. They had some good tunes.

And 'We are the Champions' - all I could think of in the car on the way home was that I want to be singing that, while pissed out of my F***ing head, at the end of this season :)

I'm a fan of Queen, but for some reason I've been putting off watching this.
      A Night At The Opera is still one of my favourite albums.

Might have to give this a bash soon.
      bmck

• 9,404 posts | 1611 
      • YNWA
      Reply #5588: Jan 21, 2019 06:20:35 pm
      I'm a fan of Queen, but for some reason I've been putting off watching this.
      A Night At The Opera is still one of my favourite albums.

Might have to give this a bash soon.

I'm not a huge fan, I know the hits like most people.
      And I didn't know much about Freddie, his background etc. so didn't have much to compare Rami Malek against - but from what I knew, thought he was really good in the part. Particularly toward the end, the songs and lyrics really supported the story of what was going on in his life at the time.

The music made the movie.
      I saw it in an I-max [a something max anyway], so the sound was brilliant, and the hits were blasted out - proper music the way bands used to play it, all guitars and drums [and piano :) ], not the bollox that passes for a lot of music these days.

Quick Reply