Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

The Film Discussion Thread.

Read 699512 times
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Re: The Film Discussion Thread.
      Reply #5589: Jan 21, 2019 06:28:55 pm
      I'm a fan of Queen, but for some reason I've been putting off watching this.
      A Night At The Opera is still one of my favourite albums.

Might have to give this a bash soon.

It's great Swab.

A few liberties with the timeline of events but easily the most enjoyable film I've seen recently.

The end of the film is the entire recreation of Live Aid and Rami Malek is so good you almost forgot you're watching a film.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #5590: Jan 22, 2019 12:40:17 pm
      Thanks lads.

On the list it goes :)
      Jimsouse67
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,275 posts | 1436 
      Reply #5591: Jan 26, 2019 11:19:33 am
      It's great Swab.

A few liberties with the timeline of events but easily the most enjoyable film I've seen recently.

The end of the film is the entire recreation of Live Aid and Rami Malek is so good you almost forgot you're watching a film.
      Wouldn’t say I’m a hardcore fan of queen but still a fan none the less & ths biopic is something I want to see not just for the music of queen but for maleks portrayal of one of the greatest showmen of my time so I’ve ordered the blu-Ray as I missed it at the pics.
      RedWilly

• 9,146 posts | 1619 
      Reply #5592: Jan 27, 2019 06:19:37 am
      Watched Bohemian Rhapsody last night and really enjoyed it. Rami Malek is brilliant and really captures Mercury’s likeness and mannerisms.

Not exactly what I was expecting as a biopic as it basically just made the story one of a stratospheric rise and glossed over the challenges Mercury must have faced, but enjoyable non the less as anything with Mercury in would be.
      « Last Edit: Jan 27, 2019 07:33:50 am by RedWilly »
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #5593: Jan 27, 2019 11:26:50 am
      Watched Son of Saul on BBC4 last night. Incredibly intense, overpowering film.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,743 posts | 2436 
      Reply #5594: Jan 27, 2019 11:46:16 am
      Watched Bohemian Rhapsody last night and really enjoyed it. Rami Malek is brilliant and really captures Mercury’s likeness and mannerisms.

Not exactly what I was expecting as a biopic as it basically just made the story one of a stratospheric rise and glossed over the challenges Mercury must have faced, but enjoyable non the less as anything with Mercury in would be.

If Rami Malek doesn't win the best actor award it will he the biggest injustice in academy awards history.

Incredibly powerful performance.

Great movie as well.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #5595: Jan 27, 2019 01:20:53 pm
      If Rami Malek doesn't win the best actor award it will he the biggest injustice in academy awards history.

Great movie as well.

I don't know, I did like Viggo Mortensen's performance more in the Green book! Each to their own I guess.
      IrishRed_IO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,479 posts | 342 
      • Formerly InertObject
      Reply #5596: Jan 27, 2019 01:34:35 pm

Great movie as well.

Agreed, totally deserves it.
      bmck

• 9,404 posts | 1611 
      • YNWA
      Reply #5597: Feb 06, 2019 05:18:44 pm
      Liam Neeson deffo using a very particular set of skills to promote Cold Pursuit.
      Just shows how careful you need to be these days, don't think he's racist, but a lot of people will do cause of it.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #5598: Feb 06, 2019 07:00:53 pm
      Can You Ever Forgive Me. Those who loved Richard E Grant as Withnail will love him in this. Hope he wins Best Supporting Actor. Fantastic little film.

Also saw Vice starring Christian Bale as Dick Cheney. Fantastic performance as ever from Bale. Overall an amusing take on Cheney's role as VP. Enjoyed it.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #5599: Feb 06, 2019 08:21:25 pm
      Can You Ever Forgive Me. Those who loved Richard E Grant as Withnail will love him in this. Hope he wins Best Supporting Actor. Fantastic little film.

Also saw Vice starring Christian Bale as Dick Cheney. Fantastic performance as ever from Bale. Overall an amusing take on Cheney's role as VP. Enjoyed it.

Really looking forward to both of those.

Watched Journeyman and Almost Famous yesterday.

Journeyman is quite a tough watch but great performances from Paddy Considine and Jodie Whittaker. It's Considine's second as a director but for me didn't quite have the impact of Tyrannosaur his debut.

Almost Famous is a film I've been meaning to watch for years and it's a fantastic coming of age story with a killer soundtrack.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,019 posts | 2741 
      Reply #5600: Feb 10, 2019 10:04:21 pm
      Agree with the people above, Bohemian Rhapsody was certainly an entertaining watch and Rami Malek was superb.

Another one I watched recently - The Wife. Great film and an utterly mesmerising performance from Glenn Close. Thoroughly deserves to win an Oscar for it later this month (7 time nominee I think?!).
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #5601: Feb 13, 2019 06:52:39 pm
      Watched Arrival on Netflix a couple of nights ago. Was always meaning to see it when it came out in the cinemas a couple of years ago but didn't get to. Thought it was superb, especially Amy Adams. Of course, nothing can beat Close Encounters in the alien movie stakes for me but this is right up there.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #5602: Feb 13, 2019 06:58:34 pm
      Watched Arrival on Netflix a couple of nights ago. Was always meaning to see it when it came out in the cinemas a couple of years ago but didn't get to. Thought it was superb, especially Amy Adams. Of course, nothing can beat Close Encounters in the alien movie stakes for me but this is right up there.

Contact > Close Encounters > Arrival. All 3 superb films, might have a re-watch of all 3 films soon!
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #5603: Feb 13, 2019 07:18:53 pm

Was in my top three films that year mate and a future classic.

FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #5604: Feb 13, 2019 07:31:56 pm
      Was in my top three films that year mate and a future classic.

Funny how people see things differently. I literally put Arrival close to if not the worst movie I've ever seen. Was really hyped for it because I love smart sci-fi movies, but thought this one had a really thin plot and fell flat on its face.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #5605: Feb 13, 2019 07:33:31 pm
      Really looking forward to both of those.

Watched Journeyman and Almost Famous yesterday.

Journeyman is quite a tough watch but great performances from Paddy Considine and Jodie Whittaker. It's Considine's second as a director but for me didn't quite have the impact of Tyrannosaur his debut.

Almost Famous is a film I've been meaning to watch for years and it's a fantastic coming of age story with a killer soundtrack.

Almost Famous is a great film.

Little factoid for you, the part before the concert where they let William into their circle to sing "piggyback ride"...if I'm not mistaken, that came from a Pearl Jam concert where the boys did that with Cameron Crowe.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #5606: Feb 13, 2019 07:36:06 pm
      Funny how people see things differently. I literally put Arrival close to if not the worst movie I've ever seen. Was really hyped for it because I love smart sci-fi movies, but thought this one had a really thin plot and fell flat on its face.

Come on, it can't be as bad as, The Last Jedi?!?!
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #5607: Feb 13, 2019 07:37:11 pm
      Come on, it can't be as bad as, The Last Jedi?!?!

I mean, Jedi at least has laser swords. :lmao:
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #5608: Feb 13, 2019 07:41:07 pm
      Almost Famous is a great film.

Little factoid for you, the part before the concert where they let William into their circle to sing "piggyback ride"...if I'm not mistaken, that came from a Pearl Jam concert where the boys did that with Cameron Crowe.

Yea apparently was based on his own experiences growing up.

Can't believe you don't like Arrival and as you say interesting how differently some people see things.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #5609: Feb 13, 2019 07:52:16 pm
      I mean, Jedi at least has laser swords. :lmao:

F***ing "laser swords"... seriously, I really hate ruin johnson!!
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,743 posts | 2436 
      Reply #5610: Feb 13, 2019 11:00:12 pm
      F***ing "laser swords"... seriously, I really hate ruin johnson!!

Yea he completely fu**ed the new trilogy to the point I have no interest in even watching episode IX.

Bringing back JJ is also pure desperation on Disney's part.

Can't really see how it can have any real satisfying conclusion this trilogy could end up less liked than the prequels.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #5611: Feb 14, 2019 03:13:11 pm
      Yea he completely fu**ed the new trilogy to the point I have no interest in even watching episode IX.

Bringing back JJ is also pure desperation on Disney's part.

Can't really see how it can have any real satisfying conclusion this trilogy could end up less liked than the prequels.

I'd quite happily see Luke as a ghost.

Quick Reply