Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

The Film Discussion Thread.

Read 699446 times
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Re: The Film Discussion Thread.
      Reply #5704: Oct 04, 2019 07:37:00 pm
      Scorsese being piled on by sensitive comic book obsessives for having the guts to say this.

https://twitter.com/screenrant/status/1179879708114264065?s=20
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #5705: Oct 05, 2019 12:17:51 am
      Joker...

OMG....

Masterpiece, the music just adds more intensity...

Jeez, going to watch this again..
      ConzS
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,321 posts | 1016 
      Reply #5706: Oct 05, 2019 11:10:38 am
      Joker...

OMG....

Going to see this tonight.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #5707: Oct 05, 2019 02:51:02 pm
      Scorsese being piled on by sensitive comic book obsessives for having the guts to say this.

https://twitter.com/screenrant/status/1179879708114264065?s=20

I don't get the whole fanboy thing.

It's just comics and movies ffs.

I also disagree with Scorcese here.
      The Marvel movies have all been hugely entertaining, and surely that's the point of cinema.
      Not everything has to be a masterpiece.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #5708: Oct 06, 2019 08:38:50 pm
      Joker...

OMG....

Superb, love all the little tie-ins to what we know about the whole Batman/Joker story.

Basically childhood trauma fu**ed them both up!!

Hope beyond hope they can get Joaquin to go full batshit crazy as Joker in a future Batman film, but I doubt it.

Total master of his art is Joaquin Pheonix.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #5709: Oct 06, 2019 08:55:37 pm
      This from Micheal Moore...

On Wednesday night I attended the New York Film Festival and witnessed a cinematic masterpiece, the film that last month won the top prize as the Best Film of the Venice International Film Festival. It’s called “Joker” — and all we Americans have heard about this movie is that we should fear it and stay away from it. We’ve been told it’s violent and sick and morally corrupt — an incitement and celebration of murder. We’ve been told that police will be at every screening this weekend in case of “trouble.” Our country is in deep despair, our constitution is in shreds, a rogue maniac from Queens has access to the nuclear codes — but for some reason, it’s a movie we should be afraid of.

I would suggest the opposite: The greater danger to society may be if you DON’T go see this movie. Because the story it tells and the issues it raises are so profound, so necessary, that if you look away from the genius of this work of art, you will miss the gift of the mirror it is offering us. Yes, there’s a disturbed clown in that mirror, but he’s not alone — we’re standing right there beside him.

“Joker” is no superhero or supervillain or comic book movie. The film is set somewhere in the ‘70s or ‘80s in Gotham City - and the filmmakers make no attempt to disguise it for anything other than what it is: New York City, the headquarters of all evil: the rich who rule us, the banks and corporations for whom we serve, the media which feeds us a daily diet “news” they think we should absorb. This past week, a week when a sitting President indicted himself because, in true Joker style, he was laughing himself silly at Mueller’s and the Dems’ inability to stop him, so he just quadrupled down and handed them everything they needed. But even then, after ten days of his flaunting his guilt, he was still sitting with his KFC grease-stained nuclear codes in the Oval Office, so he told
      Captain Sketchy to fire up the helicopter, the sound of its blades revving up, meant only to alert the reporters to scurry outside for the daily “press conference” — Trump walks outside into the deafening cacophony of the whirlybird and publicly and feloniously asks the Peoples Republic of China to interfere in our 2020 election by sending him dirt on the Bidens. He and his magic carpet of hair then walked away and, other than the citizen howls of “CAN YOU BELIEVE THIS?!”, nothing happened. As “Joker” opens this weekend, Joker, Jr. Is still still sitting at John F. Kennedy’s desk in the Oval Office on the days he shows up to work, dreaming of his next conquest and debauchery.

But this movie is not about Trump. It’s about the America that gave us Trump — the America which feels no need to help the outcast, the destitute. The America where the filthy rich just get richer and filthier.

Except in this story a discomfiting question is posed: What if one day the dispossessed decide to fight back? And I don’t mean with a clipboard registering people to vote. People are worried this movie may be too violent for them. Really? Considering everything we’re living through in real life? You allow your school to conduct “active shooter drills” with your children, permanently, emotionally damaging them as we show these little ones that this is the life we’ve created for them. “Joker” makes it clear we don’t really want to get to the bottom of this, or to try to understand why innocent people turn in to Jokers after they can no longer keep it together. No one wants to ask why two smart boys skipped their 4th-hour AP French Philosophy class at Columbine High to slaughter 12 students and a teacher. Who would dare ask why the son of a vice-president of General Electric would go into Sandy Hook Elementary in
      Newtown, CT and blow the tiny bodies apart of 20 first-graders. Or why did 53% of White women vote for the presidential candidate who, on tape, reveled in his talent as a sexual predator?

The fear and outcry over “Joker” is a ruse. It’s a distraction so that we don’t look at the real violence tearing up our fellow human beings — 30 million Americans who don’t have health insurance is an act of violence. Millions of abused women and children living in fear is an act of violence. Cramming 59 students like worthless sardines into classrooms in Detroit is an act of violence.

As the news media stands by for the next mass shooting, you and your neighbors and co-workers have already been shot numerous times, shot straight through all of your hearts and hopes and dreams. Your pension is long gone. You’re in debt for the next 30 years because you committed the crime of wanting an education. You have actually thought about not having children because you don’t have the heart to bring them onto a dying planet where they are given a 20-year death-by-climate-change sentence at birth. The violence in “Joker”? Stop! Most of the violence in the movie is perpetrated on the Joker himself, a person in need of help, someone trying to survive on the margins of a greedy society. His crime is that he can’t get help. His crime is that he is the butt of a joke played on HIM by the rich and famous. When the Joker decides he can no longer take it — yes, you will feel awful. Not because of the (minimal) blood on the screen, but because deep down, you were cheering him on - and if you’re honest when that happens, you will thank this movie for connecting you to a new desire — not to run to the nearest exit to save your own ass but rather to stand and fight and focus your attention on the nonviolent power you hold in your hands every single day. Thank you Joaquin Phoenix, Todd Phillips, Warner Bros. and all who made this important movie for this important time. I loved this film’s multiple homages to Taxi Driver, Network, The French Connection, Dog Day Afternoon. How long has it been since we’ve seen a movie aspire to the level of Stanley Kubrick? Go see this film. Take your teens. Take your resolve.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,743 posts | 2436 
      Reply #5710: Oct 07, 2019 12:59:51 pm
      Joker...

OMG....

Superb piece of filmmaking easily best movie of the year and arguably of the decade.

The politically motivated right wing American critics want to dissuade the public from seeing this important movie with negative reviews, but they will he rightfully ignored highlighting their shallow biased unprofessionalism.
      ConzS
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,321 posts | 1016 
      Reply #5711: Oct 07, 2019 04:50:57 pm
      Really enjoyed Joker. Hard act to follow Heath Ledger however Joaquin Phoenix put in an unbelievable performance. Music was fantastic and really added to the suspense.
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,250 posts | 2854 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #5712: Oct 12, 2019 08:07:56 pm
      Joker: Wow!
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,466 posts | 4816 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #5713: Oct 12, 2019 08:28:31 pm

I need to come out of my cinema hiatus and watch this.

I've heard it's quite dark?
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,250 posts | 2854 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #5714: Oct 12, 2019 10:16:45 pm
      I need to come out of my cinema hiatus and watch this.

I've heard it's quite dark?

It is, as in HR's post, this is not a glamorous Marvel/DC film, very realistic in its portrayal of the main character. Not going to say anything that will spoil it for you, but a lot can be transferred into today's injustices. Should win a lot of awards, the cinema photography is fantastic, the directing and editing best I've seen in a long time, and the soundtrack is good too.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #5715: Oct 13, 2019 08:01:52 pm
      Definitely going to catch Joker but will wait a couple of weeks to see it in quieter theatres (I like empty theatres!). Good to see, as RedPuppy says, that it isn't "yet another" comic book movie either.

I was looking at director Todd Phillips filmography and was amazed to see that sex comedy Road Trip was his first film! And he directed that Starsky and Hutch film with Ben Stiller and Owen Wilson (which I quite liked!)

Safe to say he's come a long way since then if the reviews of this are anything to go by!
      ConzS
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,321 posts | 1016 
      Reply #5716: Oct 14, 2019 09:55:45 am
      Definitely going to catch Joker but will wait a couple of weeks to see it in quieter theatres (I like empty theatres!). Good to see, as RedPuppy says, that it isn't "yet another" comic book movie either.

I was looking at director Todd Phillips filmography and was amazed to see that sex comedy Road Trip was his first film! And he directed that Starsky and Hutch film with Ben Stiller and Owen Wilson (which I quite liked!)

Safe to say he's come a long way since then if the reviews of this are anything to go by!
      I didn’t know this. Love that, up there with my favourite feel good movies.
      RobieSlick
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,758 posts | 259 
      Reply #5717: Oct 15, 2019 05:10:40 pm
      So all of Neil Armstrong's and Buzz Aldrins stories are pure jackanory?

Saying the moon landings never happened, puts you on a par with the dickhead flat earthers!!

Listen mate, we flat earthers have members around the globe.  ;) ;D
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #5718: Oct 15, 2019 08:16:21 pm
      Listen mate, we flat earthers have members around the globe.  ;) ;D

Boom, boom and indeed tish!! :laugh:
      bmck
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,404 posts | 1611 
      • YNWA
      Reply #5719: Oct 21, 2019 12:00:03 am
      Just back from 'Joker'.
      Phoenix has to get the Oscar.
      Stuck a 10/10 up on IMdB.
      Wonderful stuff.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #5720: Oct 22, 2019 08:11:51 pm
      Anyone seen this documentary yet?

Superb watch
      ConzS
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,321 posts | 1016 
      Reply #5721: Oct 23, 2019 07:52:42 am
      Anyone seen this documentary yet?

Superb watch
      What’s it about mate?
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #5722: Oct 26, 2019 09:02:06 pm
      Just back from Joker and well worth all the praise it's getting.

Fantastic portrayal from Joaquin Phoenix and he really inhabits the character. Difficult to say if he surpasses Heath but definitely up there.

The film itself is excellent and as RP said in his post the cinematography is really good and it's such well made film. Anyone who's a fan of Scorsese like myself will see the parallels with King Of Comedy but it doesn't detract from the film in my view and is almost like a bit of an homage.

HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #5723: Oct 27, 2019 01:02:27 am

Diego Armando Maradona!! :laugh:

Documentary, a lot of it based on his time in Napoli, how he was treated pretty much like a God until he knocked Italy out of the World Cup in 1990 and then the downfall dealing with his links to the mafia, fathering a child, who he didn't accept until a couple of years ago, drug-taking etc.

Just found it an interesting watch.

Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #5724: Nov 10, 2019 11:59:37 am
      Re watched the The Wolf Of Wall Street on Netflix recently.

Pretty bang average by Scorsese's very high standards. Not nearly enough from the FBI perspective but I suppose by doing that the film would have started bringing in comparisons with that other DiCaprio con/crook movie Catch Me If You Can (which is a far superior film and still DiCaprio's best performance ever  8)  )
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #5725: Nov 16, 2019 10:19:15 pm
      Independence Day on Channel 4. Loved this film as a kid. Still an outrageous guilty pleasure!
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #5726: Nov 16, 2019 11:15:09 pm
      Seen The Irishman during the week and although it's on Netflix in a few weeks it's well worth a trip to the cinema if it's showing near you.

Scorsese on top form and even though it's 3 and a half hours long always holds your interest and one of the film's of the year for me.

Quick Reply