Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Most underrated and overrated solo/bands

Read 31489 times
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 20,955 posts | 3334 
      Most underrated and overrated solo/bands
      Jul 05, 2009 02:47:57 am
      I'll start with my top five underrated.

1 - Slade. They are really only known by non-Slade fans for Merry Xmas Everybody. Which is doesn't do them justice because they have many quality songs.
      2 - Small Faces. Never get mentioned in the same breath as The Who or The Rolling Stones or even The Kinks but were just as good. Their music isn't played often enough.
      3 - Lightning Seeds. Quality lyrical work on almost all of their songs but, like Slade, are only known for one "novelty" song - Three Lions with Baddiel and Skinner. Far better than that.
      4 - James. Doesn't get anywhere near as much recognition as they should, made some killer songs and should be up near the top of the list for Manchester's best group.
      5 -  Housemartins. Another who made some quality, catchy songs.

Now my top five overrated.

1 - The Verve. Personally I like them, think they have a few good songs but the way people build them up is just ridiculous. They're not great or legendary, just a few good songs from a few years back.
      2 - Pink. Never understood what the hype with her was about. Don't think she's even released a song I could hum along to.
      3 - Atomic Kitten. They got compared to the Spice Girls, who although I'm not a fan of they were the biggest thing to hit the music world in years, was a complete disrespect. Atomic Kitten were a poor effort of a group.
      4 - Sterophonics. Never understood why people liked them. Tried too hard to be the Welsh U2 I thought.
      5 - Happy Mondays. They were a band who gave the world Bez, a bloke who just stands there a dances like a tit. Where's the talent? And yet people put them in the same category as The Smiths, Stone Roses and Oasis as one of Manchester's finest.
      el batez
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,795 posts | 188 
      • everyones friend.enemies none.
      Re: Most underrated and overrated solo/bands
      Reply #1: Jul 05, 2009 09:18:05 am
      So many are on the comeback trail are they skint or just rejuvenated.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #2: Jul 05, 2009 09:58:12 am
      Interesting concept DLS.

May i start by looking at your 'underrated'?  
      The bands you list were anything but 'underrated' in their respective eras. All big bands and all critically acclaimed at the time. Slade, for example, were F***ing massive; they owned the U.K. charts in the '70's. Slade had 17 top 20 hits in 5 years (1971 - 1976) which included 6 No.1s, 3 No.2s and 2 No.3s. Three of their singles entered the charts at No.1 and they sold more singles than any other group (in the 70's). I appreciate how difficult this (underrated) aspect of the topic can be because we tend to measure one band against another.

Anyhow i digress, so back on topic; in my opinion:-

Underrated:

The Meat Puppets - don't know what to tell you: they're the best band you don't know if you haven't heard Nirvana unplugged and the best band you didn't realise you knew, if you have.... ;) Their earlier music is a tad mental and influenced Nirvana heavily. The Meat Puppets have a huge and versatile back catalog (12 albums) but the chances are you haven't heard of them at all. Ergo - underrated.  ;D

Overrated:

Oasis - What can i say? Eight albums, five of which are ordinary and repetitive. Their lyrics are poor and they rely heavily on a fan base who don't listen to much else. Their fans deserve better but won't demand it 'cause "reason is treason". ...... The Emperor's new clothes, methinks.

* Lights blue touch paper and steps back. ;D

dunlop liddell shankly
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 20,955 posts | 3334 
      Reply #3: Jul 05, 2009 03:35:28 pm
      I think with Slade mate, I meant underrated in today's world. For a band that were as big, they should be known for more than Merry Xmas Everybody but they aren't in today's world.

And we'll never agree on Oasis being overrated. I think they're top quality and the reason they're albums are so similar is because when they have tried changing their sound, it hasn't really worked for them.
      gareth g
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 15,469 posts | 366 
      Reply #4: Jul 05, 2009 04:15:09 pm
      I agree with you about Slade, real good band with good music.

But I have disagree about the Stereophonics, maybe it's because I'm Welsh but I think they are a class act.There again DLS I suppose it's everyone to they're own choice in music.
      « Last Edit: Jul 05, 2009 11:12:42 pm by gareth g, Reason: being thick »
      paulrobbo
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,875 posts | 106 
      • We are the Mods!
      Reply #5: Jul 05, 2009 04:51:11 pm
      I'll start with my top five underrated.

1 - Slade. They are really only known by non-Slade fans for Merry Xmas Everybody. Which is doesn't do them justice because they have many quality songs.
      2 - Small Faces. Never get mentioned in the same breath as The Who or The Rolling Stones or even The Kinks but were just as good. Their music isn't played often enough.
      3 - Lightning Seeds. Quality lyrical work on almost all of their songs but, like Slade, are only known for one "novelty" song - Three Lions with Baddiel and Skinner. Far better than that.
      4 - James. Doesn't get anywhere near as much recognition as they should, made some killer songs and should be up near the top of the list for Manchester's best group.
      5 -  Housemartins. Another who made some quality, catchy songs.

Now my top five overrated.

1 - The Verve. Personally I like them, think they have a few good songs but the way people build them up is just ridiculous. They're not great or legendary, just a few good songs from a few years back.
      2 - Pink. Never understood what the hype with her was about. Don't think she's even released a song I could hum along to.
      3 - Atomic Kitten. They got compared to the Spice Girls, who although I'm not a fan of they were the biggest thing to hit the music world in years, was a complete disrespect. Atomic Kitten were a poor effort of a group.
      4 - Sterophonics. Never understood why people liked them. Tried too hard to be the Welsh U2 I thought.
      5 - Happy Mondays. They were a band who gave the world Bez, a bloke who just stands there a dances like a tit. Where's the talent? And yet people put them in the same category as The Smiths, Stone Roses and Oasis as one of Manchester's finest.

Like Gareth I agree with Slade but disagree with the Stereophonics. Love 'em.
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #6: Jul 05, 2009 05:14:00 pm
      As said in 'Banquet'...

So underrated!

<<<<<<<<<<<<<

:D
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #7: Jul 05, 2009 06:56:36 pm
      Overrated: What about?......

Radiohead - There is no band more boring that Radiohead. Yet, for whatever reason, there are also few bands that have sold as many records as them. Beyond that, their music is as pretentious as all hell and I think that’s why most people listen to them. They put O.K. Computer (for e.g.) in their C.D. rack, maybe crack it open once or twice, and then feel good about themselves owning a 'cool' album.........sh*te I tells ya!  ;D
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #8: Jul 05, 2009 07:02:41 pm
      I agree, they are overrated.

However, they do have some very good songs - No Suprises, Paranoid Android and Karma Police for example.
      StevieIsStillGod
      • Forum Didi Hamann

• 288 posts | 10 
      Reply #9: Jul 05, 2009 07:10:54 pm
      Overrated- any hip-hop recorded after 1997

Underrated- The Tragically Hip, the greatest Canadian band ever...
      johnstop
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,745 posts | 23 
      Reply #10: Jul 05, 2009 07:11:15 pm
      Madona cant stand the woman.
      Osasis beatless tribute band.
      Slade a fine band with great songs,still going minus Noddy.Does anybody know what a Noddy holder is. Apparently it is Midlands slang for a condom?.
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Reply #11: Jul 05, 2009 07:13:28 pm

Can't wait for DLS's reply! :D

There's some I agree and disagree with here.

I agree with James being hugely underrated, they did some fantastic stuff, but have to admit being a fan of the Stereophonics and Radiohead.

I think it's really a matter of personal taste.
      johnstop
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,745 posts | 23 
      Reply #12: Jul 05, 2009 07:15:56 pm
      Madona cant stand the woman.
      Osasis beatles tribute band.
      Slade a fine band with great songs,still going minus Noddy.Does anybody know what a Noddy holder is. Apparently it is Midlands slang for a condom?.
      Court LFC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,496 posts | 182 
      Reply #13: Jul 05, 2009 07:19:33 pm
      Does anyone else think The Beatles are way overrated?  Even today?

I've tried listening to their stuff, my Dad loves them but I'm just not getting the hype at all.  I don't mind John Lennon's solo work though.
      johnstop
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,745 posts | 23 
      Reply #14: Jul 05, 2009 07:27:08 pm
      There is so much Beatles stuff and it isnt compulsory to like them. I do however and if anyone was lucky enough to see Paul Mcartney's last two Liverpool shows then how could you not like them.
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #15: Jul 05, 2009 08:22:11 pm
      Does anyone else think The Beatles are way overrated?  Even today?

I've tried listening to their stuff, my Dad loves them but I'm just not getting the hype at all.  I don't mind John Lennon's solo work though.

In my opinion - John Lennon's 'Imagine' is the most overrated song of all time.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 20,955 posts | 3334 
      Reply #16: Jul 05, 2009 09:36:50 pm
      I'm not gonna explain why I think Oasis are good and why I don't think they're overrated because it'll turn this into a thread solely about Oasis. But they are not overrated - FACT (well in my opinion ;))

I think Passenger are underrated, I doubt many have even heard of them. But their Wicked Man's Rest song and album is quality.

Although a massive band I think UB40 are underrated as well. Again more in the sense that they never get considered as a "great" band generally but more by only their following.
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #17: Jul 05, 2009 09:41:20 pm
      I always forget that I went to see UB40 with my parents years ago.

Really enjoyable gig actually, it was on a big field on a nice day.
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #18: Jul 05, 2009 11:49:56 pm
      Overrated = Anything that gets to number one these days really... Some of it is garbage

Underrated = People who can actually sing, bands like Alter Bridge, Shinedown, Faith No More, artists like Chris Cornell, people that have the best pure voices in the world today... And most of you reading this haven't even heard of any of them
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #19: Jul 05, 2009 11:54:26 pm
      Heard of Faith No More.

I also agree with you on Chris Cornell, fantastic voice. I guess he enjoyed more success in his days with Audioslave though. Maybe he doesn't have a talent for song writing.
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #20: Jul 06, 2009 12:00:00 am
      Heard of Faith No More.

I also agree with you on Chris Cornell, fantastic voice. I guess he enjoyed more success in his days with Audioslave though. Maybe he doesn't have a talent for song writing.

Don't know :P His new album is terrible though, don't know why he even asked Timbaland to get involved in any way shape or form never mind produce it. Shinedown and Alter Bridge are 2 bands you literally have to hear though, Second Chance and Broken Wings are 2 of my favourite songs of all time and I think that anyone would enjoy them if they got more publicity
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,326 posts | 2823 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #21: Jul 06, 2009 05:30:10 am
      You really hurt my feelings by mentioning The Verve as overrated.

They are my favourite band, and they are much more than Urban Hymns. Their first album, for example, is a shoegazer master piece.

Anyway, the most underrated band IMO is Ride. They are brilliant. Just brilliant. Andy Bell is a wasted talent nowadays playing bass for Oasis.

I could also mention Stiff Little Fingers as an underrated band. They have all the best you can ask from a punk rock band.

As for the overrated bands... first one that comes to my mind is MUSE. What I hate the most about them is the fact they are almost great. They get really close of doing great songs, but they ruin them all with some megalomaniac stuff.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 20,955 posts | 3334 
      Reply #22: Jul 07, 2009 12:05:21 am
      I'd say Travis are overrated as well. Another band who I actually like but some people go overboard on their praise.

Quick Reply