Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Most underrated and overrated solo/bands

Read 31484 times
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,326 posts | 2823 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Re: Most underrated and overrated solo/bands
      Reply #23: Jul 07, 2009 04:55:59 am
      I'd say Coldplay are overrated before Travis.

Coldplay are seen as a much bigger band while Travis is a much better one IMO.
      fletch_rox
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,189 posts | 12 
      • JFT96
      Reply #24: Jul 07, 2009 05:07:59 am
      Overrated - Pink, Lady Gaga
      Coldplay are good leave them alone.. >:(  ;)
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 20,954 posts | 3334 
      Reply #25: Jul 07, 2009 12:12:00 pm
      I'd say Coldplay are overrated before Travis.

Coldplay are seen as a much bigger band while Travis is a much better one IMO.

I'd go along with that. Coldplay have a few good songs but they're not great.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,962 posts | 3944 
      Reply #26: Jul 07, 2009 05:02:45 pm
      Does anyone else think The Beatles are way overrated?  Even today?

I've tried listening to their stuff, my Dad loves them but I'm just not getting the hype at all.  I don't mind John Lennon's solo work though.
      Depends what you listen to mate the early Beatles stuff is quite uncomplicated but innovative material,the the stuff immediately prior to Sgt. Pepper and all the subsequent albums have been acknowledged as works of musical genius that changed peoples ideas about the whole way in which music is presented.                                                                                                                      
        If you haven't been into them and listen to all the music thats on the go now with the soundalike bands and immitation bands the origonal talent and groundbreaking performances by the Beatles are long forgotten but there's not too many modern day outfits that do not give them
       credit and appreciate their work.
             John Lennon of course was an unbelievably talented man and I've heard it said that he supported LFC - who else?                          

« Last Edit: Jul 07, 2009 05:14:44 pm by stuey »
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #27: Jul 08, 2009 03:58:29 pm
      I could also mention Stiff Little Fingers as an underrated band. They have all the best you can ask from a punk rock band.

As for the overrated bands... first one that comes to my mind is MUSE. What I hate the most about them is the fact they are almost great. They get really close of doing great songs, but they ruin them all with some megalomaniac stuff.

My Dad loves Stiff Little Fingers (seize your opportunity :D), he always used to play them in the car.

I know what you mean about Muse actually although I do think Matt Bellamy is actually a bit of a genious on the guitar. Some of the solos and riffs he produces are simply brilliant.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #28: Jul 08, 2009 08:08:37 pm
      I named my son Jake after Jake Burns out of S.L.F. A great band then and still kicking it now.

In my opinion anyone who has caught Muse live will know they are anything but overrated. They're the best live act around: by a country mile.
      justice4the96
      • Forum Graeme Souness

• 360 posts |
      Reply #29: Jul 08, 2009 10:20:51 pm
      Guns N Roses are one of the greatest rock bands of all time.. I would even go as far as to say THE GREATEST. What you reckon guys?
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,326 posts | 2823 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #30: Jul 08, 2009 11:15:18 pm
      I named my son Jake after Jake Burns out of S.L.F. A great band then and still kicking it now.

In my opinion anyone who has caught Muse live will know they are anything but overrated. They're the best live act around: by a country mile.

I understand what you are saying, people say Muse are really great live. But for those who like it... if I dont like their songs, I cant see how I could like them live
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #31: Jul 09, 2009 09:09:50 am

I understand what you are saying, people say Muse are really great live. But for those who like it... if I dont like their songs, I cant see how I could like them live

I hear what you're saying buddy but, to be honest, I thought the same. I was at a festival and had just left a Jimmy Cliff gig when I walked in on this amazing assault on the senses... fecking Muse in full flow! The hairs on the back of my neck were standing, they were truly awesome and I was blown away. No way are Muse overrated, no fecking way!  ;D

Knights Of Cydonia: Live At Wembley Stadium 2007

Plug In Baby: Live At Wembley Stadium 2007
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #32: Jul 09, 2009 05:59:12 pm
      Guns N Roses are one of the greatest rock bands of all time.. I would even go as far as to say THE GREATEST. What you reckon guys?

Awful and far from the Greatest. Slash is the only reason this band is worth listening to, other than that, bad yank sh*te!
      redruths
      • Forum Jari Litmanen

• 44 posts |
      Reply #33: Jul 11, 2009 08:34:56 pm
      You've got to look at the Beatles with the fact that they did their stuff 40 odd years ago so they may not sound that special now but they changed a hell of a lot and influenced many bands since and i'm not a fan.
      Imagine has got to be most overrated song ever - sentimental hippie bullsh*t
      never understood oasis with their 2 songs - the slow plodding one and the faster plodding one
      underrated - bucks fizz and that guy who sang the theme to prisoner cell block h
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #34: Jul 11, 2009 08:35:54 pm
      You've got to look at the Beatles with the fact that they did their stuff 40 odd years ago so they may not sound that special now but they changed a hell of a lot and influenced many bands since and i'm not a fan.
      Imagine has got to be most overrated song ever - sentimental hippie bullsh*t
      never understood oasis with their 2 songs - the slow plodding one and the faster plodding one
      underrated - bucks fizz and that guy who sang the theme to prisoner cell block h

Agreed. I'm sure I said that earlier in this thread actually.
      YANK_LFC_FAN
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,506 posts | 424 
      • Timid men prefer the calm of despotism!
      Reply #35: Jul 12, 2009 03:26:00 am
      UNDERRATED:

MC5..60's U.S. Rock..Came from the Detroit Scene.  Very Punk/Grunge before their was Punk/Grunge. In the same vain as the Stooges/Iggy Pop, Velvet Underground.  Known for long concerts. Once played an 8 hour Gig during the riots at the DNC in Chicago in 1968. Known best for "Kick Out the Jams".

MotherLoveBone:

The first TRUE,GREAT Seattle band.  (2) members went on to form Pearl Jam.. Awesome music, Tight sound, great stage show. They were HUGE in the late 80's early 90's Seattle music scene. Signed a huge record contract and were about to go on a huge tour.  Would of been the first of the Seattle bands to make it big. However, due to a too often, Heroin overdose by their singer Andy Wood. The band broke up and the rest is history.  I have a buddy who swears we saw them play in NY, before they were big. I dont remember it but I'll say I did.

Alice In Chains

Extremely Popular in the early to late 90's. Caught up in the whole "Grunge" movement and lumped in with all the other bands.   I thought they were better than Nirvana and Pearl Jam combined.  Electric shows. The band was the best live concert I ever saw. They owned the stage and the crowd. Just AWESOME.  C.mon "Again", "Godsmack", "Junkhead"..

OVERRATED

Led Zeppelin: Stole all their hit songs. Paid off original artists and forced to remove their names from the credits of their own albums..Enough said.  Want Proof. 

Google it. "Zeppelin stole Songs".   Their are hundreds of sites all saying the same thing. Some of the sites play the Zeppelin song then they song they "Stole" it from and it is so obvious they ripped people off.

I dont doubt they were great "Musicians", they were. But they really need to be taken off the "Best of all time" Lists.

A list of some of the songs Zep stole from other artists:

* "Babe I'm Gonna Leave You" - A folk song by Anne Bredon, this was originally credited as "traditional, arranged by Jimmy Page," then "words and music by Jimmy Page," and then, following legal action, "Bredon/Page/Plant."
          * "Black Mountain Side" - uncredited version of a traditional folk tune previously recorded by Bert Jansch.
          * "Bring It On Home" - the first section is an uncredited cover of the Willie Dixon tune (as performed by the imposter Sonny Boy Williamson).
          * "Communication Breakdown" - apparently derived from Eddie Cochran's "Nervous Breakdown."
          * "Custard Pie" - uncredited cover of Bukka White's "Shake 'Em On Down," with lyrics from Sleepy John Estes's "Drop Down Daddy."
          * "Dazed And Confused" - uncredited cover of the Jake Holmes song (see The Above Ground Sound Of Jake Holmes).
          * "Hats Off To (Roy) Harper" - uncredited version of Bukka White's "Shake 'Em On Down."
          * "How Many More Times" - Part one is an uncredited cover of the Howlin' Wolf song (available on numerous compilations). Part two is an uncredited cover of Albert King's "The Hunter."
          * "In My Time Of Dying" - uncredited cover of the traditional song (as heard on Bob Dylan's debut).
          * "The Lemon Song" - uncredited cover of Howlin' Wolf's "Killing Floor" - Wolf's publisher sued Zeppelin in the early 70s and settled out of court.
          * "Moby Dick" - written and first recorded by Sleepy John Estes under the title "The Girl I Love," and later covered by Bobby Parker.
          * "Nobody's Fault But Mine" - uncredited cover of the Blind Willie Johnson blues.
          * "Since I've Been Lovin' You" - lyrics are the same as Moby Grape's "Never," though the music isn't similar.
          * "Stairway To Heaven" - the main guitar line is apparently from "Taurus" by Spirit.
          * "White Summer" - uncredited cover of Davey Graham's "She Moved Through The Fair."
          * "Whole Lotta Love" - lyrics are from the Willie Dixon blues "You Need Love."
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,326 posts | 2823 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #36: Jul 12, 2009 07:08:16 am
      Alice In Chains Unplugged is bloody amazing. Have to agree with you on this one.
      StevieG-force
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,526 posts | 12 
      • Name:Richard-Age:21-Nationality:Welsh
      Reply #37: Jul 20, 2009 11:18:33 pm
      Eminem is overrated in my opinion. Released a couple of good songs early in is career then after that thought he was too cool for school and became a producer, didn't release a song for four or five years but then returns with awful songs that are supposed to be funny. I don't even care that much about rap but the way everyone loves Eminem is annoying, I reckon tupac was better.

Oasis have been consistently the best British band for over a decade IMO. People don't like the attitude of Liam and to a lesser extent Noel but that shouldn't take anything away from they're music.Noel is a great songwriter and Liam is a popular lead man with charisma and vocals. They've had 8 number ones which is a great achievement considering all the sh*t in the charts. They could have easily had more too, songs like wonderwall and live forever never topped the charts but are legendary songs nonetheless.
      Eem
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,018 posts | 89 
      Reply #38: Jul 21, 2009 08:01:11 am
      As for the overrated bands... first one that comes to my mind is MUSE. What I hate the most about them is the fact they are almost great. They get really close of doing great songs, but they ruin them all with some megalomaniac stuff.

Got to say I disagree with you. I think Muse are brilliant, and are one of the best bands from Britain, atm.

I think Coldplay are overrated. Don't get me wrong, they are a decent band, but not as good as people insist they are. Most of their songs are exactly the same, and depressing. They haven't made an exciting song for years.
      CRK
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,604 posts | 361 
      • JFT96 YNWA
      Reply #39: Jul 21, 2009 03:51:20 pm
      Like Gareth I agree with Slade but disagree with the Stereophonics. Love 'em.

Same here. And The Lightning Seeds. Seen them at Matthew Street a few years ago.

Stereophonics have some amazing stuff. Seen them a couple of times, one of my favourites.

Each to their own though mate. It's be a boring world if everyone liked the same stuff.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 20,954 posts | 3334 
      Reply #40: Aug 31, 2009 11:54:28 pm
      I know this won't go down well with some on here, but Blur are massively overrated in my opinion. I just don't get it with them.

Velvet Underground are hugly underrated. Sunday Morning by them is top quality. I'd have to say Dire Straits are underrated as well, although pretty much everybody loves Brothers In Arms a lot of their other songs go under the radar so to speak. The Man's Too Strong is an excellent song for example.
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #41: Aug 31, 2009 11:57:27 pm
      In my opinion, both Velvet Underground and Dire Straits are crap. Dire boredom more like.

Whereas Blur are awesome. So basically the complete opposite to you! :D
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #42: Feb 05, 2019 07:00:14 pm
      10 years since a post  :o

Most underrated band of all time by a distance

TEARS FOR FEARS
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #43: Feb 06, 2019 10:04:01 am
      UNDERRATED:

MC5..60's U.S. Rock..Came from the Detroit Scene.  Very Punk/Grunge before their was Punk/Grunge. In the same vain as the Stooges/Iggy Pop, Velvet Underground.  Known for long concerts. Once played an 8 hour Gig during the riots at the DNC in Chicago in 1968. Known best for "Kick Out the Jams".

MotherLoveBone:

The first TRUE,GREAT Seattle band.  (2) members went on to form Pearl Jam.. Awesome music, Tight sound, great stage show. They were HUGE in the late 80's early 90's Seattle music scene. Signed a huge record contract and were about to go on a huge tour.  Would of been the first of the Seattle bands to make it big. However, due to a too often, Heroin overdose by their singer Andy Wood. The band broke up and the rest is history.  I have a buddy who swears we saw them play in NY, before they were big. I dont remember it but I'll say I did.

Alice In Chains

Extremely Popular in the early to late 90's. Caught up in the whole "Grunge" movement and lumped in with all the other bands.   I thought they were better than Nirvana and Pearl Jam combined.  Electric shows. The band was the best live concert I ever saw. They owned the stage and the crowd. Just AWESOME.  C.mon "Again", "Godsmack", "Junkhead"..

OVERRATED

Led Zeppelin: Stole all their hit songs. Paid off original artists and forced to remove their names from the credits of their own albums..Enough said.  Want Proof. 

Google it. "Zeppelin stole Songs".   Their are hundreds of sites all saying the same thing. Some of the sites play the Zeppelin song then they song they "Stole" it from and it is so obvious they ripped people off.

I dont doubt they were great "Musicians", they were. But they really need to be taken off the "Best of all time" Lists.

A list of some of the songs Zep stole from other artists:

* "Babe I'm Gonna Leave You" - A folk song by Anne Bredon, this was originally credited as "traditional, arranged by Jimmy Page," then "words and music by Jimmy Page," and then, following legal action, "Bredon/Page/Plant."
          * "Black Mountain Side" - uncredited version of a traditional folk tune previously recorded by Bert Jansch.
          * "Bring It On Home" - the first section is an uncredited cover of the Willie Dixon tune (as performed by the imposter Sonny Boy Williamson).
          * "Communication Breakdown" - apparently derived from Eddie Cochran's "Nervous Breakdown."
          * "Custard Pie" - uncredited cover of Bukka White's "Shake 'Em On Down," with lyrics from Sleepy John Estes's "Drop Down Daddy."
          * "Dazed And Confused" - uncredited cover of the Jake Holmes song (see The Above Ground Sound Of Jake Holmes).
          * "Hats Off To (Roy) Harper" - uncredited version of Bukka White's "Shake 'Em On Down."
          * "How Many More Times" - Part one is an uncredited cover of the Howlin' Wolf song (available on numerous compilations). Part two is an uncredited cover of Albert King's "The Hunter."
          * "In My Time Of Dying" - uncredited cover of the traditional song (as heard on Bob Dylan's debut).
          * "The Lemon Song" - uncredited cover of Howlin' Wolf's "Killing Floor" - Wolf's publisher sued Zeppelin in the early 70s and settled out of court.
          * "Moby Dick" - written and first recorded by Sleepy John Estes under the title "The Girl I Love," and later covered by Bobby Parker.
          * "Nobody's Fault But Mine" - uncredited cover of the Blind Willie Johnson blues.
          * "Since I've Been Lovin' You" - lyrics are the same as Moby Grape's "Never," though the music isn't similar.
          * "Stairway To Heaven" - the main guitar line is apparently from "Taurus" by Spirit.
          * "White Summer" - uncredited cover of Davey Graham's "She Moved Through The Fair."
          * "Whole Lotta Love" - lyrics are from the Willie Dixon blues "You Need Love."

What a post this was!
      RedWilly
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,146 posts | 1619 
      Reply #44: Feb 09, 2019 05:27:19 am

What a thread this was, just read through it :D

Most overrated band, that I absolutely can’t stabd is U2. Bono always holding a candle to something and their music is generic crap (in my opinion).

Oh and Muse are brilliant live!
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #45: Feb 09, 2019 09:51:28 pm
      What a thread this was, just read through it :D

Most overrated band, that I absolutely can’t stabd is U2. Bono always holding a candle to something and their music is generic crap (in my opinion).

Oh and Muse are brilliant live!

Call me a parishioner at the church of U2! Not even Bono's comical politicking can get in the way of me adoring so many of their albums although I fear that such stunts have got in the way of their legacy which in my view is bloody great. The Edge - OH MY! If ever a man painted landscapes with his guitar it was Edge circa 1984 on The Unforgettable Fire - such a beautiful album of space and blended sounds! And then there was the chainsaw buzz and agony he provided on Achtung Baby which makes that one of the most satisfying albums I've ever listened to!

Underrated acts? I liked the shout for Tears for Fears above. Good call. Very good call!

Overrated? Kasabian. Lad rock, Soccer AM bullshit complete with their very own 'build your own rock guitarist' walking cliche that is Serge Pizzorno. As for Tom Meighan? Not a very good singer. Not good at all.
      « Last Edit: Feb 09, 2019 09:56:43 pm by Frankly, Mr Shankly »

Quick Reply