Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W11 D6 L12

David Moores steps down after historic Barcelona win

Read 1754 times
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      David Moores steps down after historic Barcelona win
      Mar 07, 2007 12:02:00 am
      End of an era.

Thanks for the story on the website guys.

Indeed good luck to Mr Moores.

What's everyones thoughts?
      Rafa La Bamba
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,895 posts | -157 
      • In Rafa We Trust
      Re: David Moores steps down after historic Barcelona win
      Reply #1: Mar 07, 2007 12:05:41 am
      Yep, end of an era start of a new bright era, did you see how happy Tom Hicks was i will upload a picture later or maybe tommorow
      RED1028
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,392 posts | 92 
      • LFC - YNWA
      Reply #2: Mar 07, 2007 01:32:28 am
      Congratulations to David Moores for 16 years as Chairman of Liverpool FC.
      What an amazing night at Anfield to mark the passing of an era.
      It would seem fitting now to become 6 times Champions of Europe to mark all that has passed and all that is to come.
      Well done David, good work.
      YNWA
      lester76
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,810 posts | 242 
      Reply #3: Mar 07, 2007 07:15:25 am
      Since the very first day I became addicted to the spirit of Liverpool Football club and began collecting the Panini Stickers for my album, learnt the history through the Rothmans anuals, kept up to date by reading Shoot and Match magazines the Moores Family has been there. By going to games and speaking to my peers, the Moores Family has been there. Throughout my idolising of Rush, Dalglish, Hansen, Whelen, Fowler, Beardsley, Aldridge, Barnes, Gerrard and Carragher..the Moores Family has been there. Its hard to sum up what I personally owe you. Thank you. Thankyou for giving me the passion and the love of football as it truely should be played and run. For my 25 years as an obsessed fan, thank you for the Mighty Reds. YNWA
      « Last Edit: Mar 07, 2007 07:19:43 am by lester76 »
      mrtommo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,890 posts | 168 
      Reply #4: Mar 07, 2007 08:14:52 am
      Thanks for the memories David, enjoy Liverpool FC now without the small minded people wanting to shoot you down.
      graham135uk
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 797 posts | 27 
      • “Liverpool are magic. Everton are tragic.”
      Reply #5: Mar 07, 2007 08:51:21 am
      I have been a liverpool fan since the great days of Bill, we have had some of the greatest mangers in the world, and David Moores has been there as a kid, and chairman, if you broke him half like a bar of rock he would have Liverpool F.C. stamped down the middle.
      I'm sure he will be part of Liverpool for a lot of years to come, I wish him all the very best for the future, and Thank You
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,343 posts | 1529 
      Reply #6: Mar 07, 2007 08:42:22 pm
      David Moores, Thaks for keeping L.F.C the peoples club all these years. The passion has been with me since I was 4 years old. (First match) introduced by my Grandad in 1956.  Now nearing 55, Hope the new owners can keep it going for my children and grand children. Thanks for so many great memories. Good luck to you whatever you decide for your future, Somehow I don't think it will be too far away from L.F.C. come Champions Leage nights...
      EddieC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      Reply #7: Mar 08, 2007 04:39:02 pm
      I won't try & take credit for this, it was posted elsewhwere, but it's a great post & relevant to this topic.

I know some people have touched on this, but let's just take a step back from the excitement of today's takeover announcement and show our appreciation for - in my opinion - the best example of a chairman that you'll find in world football. More importantly, he was exactly the right kind of chairman for our club in the lean years since he took the helm.

LFC is different from other clubs. Managers will always be backed to the hilt, both in terms of the time they're given and the money they have at their disposal to try and mould the team into one capable of taking on all comers. You only need to look at Blackburn, Leeds and Newcastle in recent history to see how chairmen get greedy and desperate in such a quest, throwing money at the first team but disposing of managers if results don't happen overnight.

For all the failings of Houllier and the sheer lack of impact that many of his signings had, the money he was given to try and make things happen was actually quite astonishing. For Moores and the board to fork out at a club in flux like LFC were for the latter part of the 90s, and to allow us to still be competitive in the transfer market clearly was a major financial risk, but one backed with huge heart and huge belief that the good times would roll once more. The treble season in many ways just fed the belief that it was all within touching distance, and while it didn't happen for us under Houllier, for our chairmen to keep backing and backing said everything about the passion he has for the club. Shame that GH wasn't the right man.

Rafa has impressed me greatly with his activity in the transfer market, and it's clear that he's the kind of man that David Moores needed to have in charge of the first team following the excesses of GH's tenure. Just a shame that the money involved in the business of football has started to overtake Moores' financial clout, and although the road has been long to today's takeover announcement, he got us here with the club in a good financial state, with good strength in depth throughout the squad, with an academy system in place, well down the road to having work begin on a new stadium, and - let's face it - looking like a football club on the verge of great things once more.

Today the club loses a chairman that has done the fans proud for almost 16 years. Even his final act says stacks about the noble and proper way in which he conducts his business - we've been b*tching and moaning on the internet about how worried we all are about what DiC or Gillett and co would do to our club, while he's had them all round his house, passionately grilling them all about what he expects from a successful takeover bidder. A quiet man in the press, I'll bet my life that he's nowhere near as quiet when the big questions about what happens next at the club he's run so impeccably for so long. It's taken a very long time, but if you love something as much as David Moores loves LFC, you won't let it go until you know 100% that the people taking over are going to take care of the club.

Enjoy the life presidency Mr Moores. You deserve it.
      Nicola
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,117 posts | -7 
      • YNWA
      Reply #8: Mar 08, 2007 07:05:43 pm
      OMG, thank you for everything David ;D Best of luck xxx
      RedWilly
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,197 posts | 1641 
      Reply #9: Mar 08, 2007 10:19:04 pm
      Thanks for everything david moores, for sticking with the managers through the bad times, for always believing we could become great again (and we did!!) for taking all the sh*t that people threw at you, and thank you for making sure we got a great manager!!! Best of luck Mr.Moores.
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #10: Mar 09, 2007 12:12:06 am
      I won't try & take credit for this, it was posted elsewhwere, but it's a great post & relevant to this topic.

Good call Eddie! Spot on mate.

Quick Reply