Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 26th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W15 D7 L2

Ashes 2009

Read 70710 times
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Ashes 2009
      Jul 06, 2009 06:03:36 pm

1st Test: Cardiff (Wednesday 8 - Sunday 12 July)

2nd Test: Lord's (Thursday 16 - Monday 20 July)

3rd Test: Edgbaston (Thursday July 30 - Mon August 3)

4th Test: Headingley Carnegie (Friday 7 - Tuesday August 11)

5th Test: The Brit Oval (Thursday 20 - Monday August 24)

The thread for the Ashes!

I'm actually quite looking forward to this.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,010 posts | 3352 
      Re: Ashes 2009
      Reply #1: Jul 06, 2009 10:52:37 pm
      1st and 2nd are back to back Tests, be good.

Although I wish they'd scrap all this Wednesday and Friday starts and stick to the traditional Thursday to Monday Tests.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #2: Jul 06, 2009 10:56:06 pm
      No Brett Lee for the start.

Cant wait until Wednesday!
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,010 posts | 3352 
      Reply #3: Jul 06, 2009 10:59:36 pm

Boss news for the England side and fans. He's their only really experienced Test bowler, especially with Ashes experience.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #4: Jul 06, 2009 11:01:07 pm
      Boss news for the England side and fans. He's their only really experienced Test bowler, especially with Ashes experience.

With some luck he will have a set back in his recovery and be unable to take any sort of part.

Although, it would be good to beat them with him playing some part because it's going to be a walk in the park as it is ;)
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,010 posts | 3352 
      Reply #5: Jul 06, 2009 11:09:34 pm
      I think it's down to which bowlers handle the pressure better because our bowling attack doesn't have much experience of the Ashes either bar Flintoff. I don't even know if Anderson has played in an Ashes series before.

Certainly Broad, Onions and Swann haven't. I think Monty may have played down under in 07, although his place isn't certain for this series.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #6: Jul 06, 2009 11:16:58 pm
      Got a feeling Onions will bowl really well and take the most wickets for us. Don't know why, just one of them gut feeling things :-\
      fletch_rox
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,189 posts | 12 
      • JFT96
      Reply #7: Jul 07, 2009 05:36:47 am
      If he does England will struggle, he's not much Onions, just medium pace and doesn't do much with it. Bowls at the stumps mind you which is a good thing.
      Dmasta
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,895 posts | 553 
      Reply #8: Jul 07, 2009 05:42:53 am
      Stuart Clark is pretty experienced.
      fletch_rox
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,189 posts | 12 
      • JFT96
      Reply #9: Jul 07, 2009 05:43:56 am
      Will he even play though? I guess now that Lee's out he should be in the team, although Hilfenhaus will swing it and move it over there
      RedStorm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,746 posts | 142 
      • YOU'LL NEVER WALK ALONE
      Reply #10: Jul 07, 2009 06:52:14 am
      Can't wait for the start.
      England are getting ahead of themselves. Australia will take this series.

Should be great viewing though as the last Ashes series in England was compelling.

Go the Aussies!
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #11: Jul 07, 2009 10:12:20 am
      Can't wait for the start.

England Australia are getting ahead of themselves. Australia England will take this series.

Should be great viewing though as the last Ashes series in England was compelling.

Go the Aussies England!

:D
      Bahrosa-LFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,549 posts |
      • It's Not A Badge... It's A Family Crest
      Reply #12: Jul 07, 2009 10:15:43 am
      Tomorrow night then. Can't wait to see the poms humiliate Australia 4 years after they did it the first time. There's just something i hate about the Aussie cricket team.
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #13: Jul 07, 2009 10:16:56 am
      Damn I forgot it was a Tuesday today! I thought it was a Wednesday!
      Bpatel
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,902 posts | 158 
      Reply #14: Jul 07, 2009 10:26:21 am
      Ooh, can't wait.

I hope its as entertaining as the 2005 series.

England are going to batter the Aussies' asses.
      Bpatel
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,902 posts | 158 
      Reply #15: Jul 07, 2009 11:16:32 am
      McGrath expects Aussie whitewash
      Former Australia paceman Glenn McGrath has again predicted that England will lose the Ashes series 5-0.

The 39-year-old, who retired in 2007, famously predicted a whitewash four years ago but was part of the side that was dramatically defeated 2-1.

But Australia's recent series win over South Africa has left McGrath in confident mood.

"If they can do the same and improve in one or two areas they will do really well and probably win 5-0," he said.

McGrath's former team-mate Shane Warne also thinks Australia should retain the Ashes, though he believes it might be closer.

"Looking at current form, Australia have been in transition but after a period of not playing well they have gone to South Africa and won, which is no mean feat," said Warne.

"England have struggled in the Test arena, they struggled against West Indies, so if you look at the form of both sides you'd have to say Australia are the favourites going into the series, though England have a big chance."

McGrath has something of a track record when it comes to predicting Australian whitewashes in the Ashes, coming out ahead of the 2005 and 2006-07 series to declare his expectation of a 5-0 win for his side.

He was off target in 2005 when Australia, not helped by the freak ankle injury McGrath suffered ahead of the second Test at Edgbaston, were edged out in a thrilling series on English soil.

But McGrath was spot on in the 2006-07 series as his side romped to a comprehensive 5-0 victory against an outclassed England.

His Test career came to an end after the fifth Test of that series in Sydney, having taken 563 Test wickets in 124 matches.

Cardiff will host the opening Test on Wednesday, with Australia still reeling from the news that fast bowler Brett Lee will be missing for two Tests with a torn rib muscle.

Speaking before the news of Lee's withdrawal, McGrath revealed his faith in Ricky Ponting's team having seen them complete a 2-1 series victory against South Africa in March.

"I've got total confidence in the boys, especially watching the way they played in South Africa in the last Test series," he added.

"I thought that would have given them a lot of confidence. They showed what they can do and the huge potential that they've got."

McGrath was drafted into the Australian camp last week to provide assistance with the visitors' bowling attack for the five-Test series.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/cricket/other_international/australia/8137558.stm

:D I hope he remembers what happened the last time he said that.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,010 posts | 3352 
      Reply #16: Jul 07, 2009 12:09:43 pm
      I love Glen McGrath, every series is gonna be a 5-0 whitewash for the Aussies. I suppose when you're as good as he was you can get away with saying anything.

Stuart Clark is pretty experienced.

He doesn't have vast Test experience though or Ashes experience. Did he play in 05? Tait and Kasprovich were ahead of him in the pecking order back then. He only has something like 20 Tests doesn't he? Other than Lee, the Aussies' bowlers don't have vast Test experience and other than Flintoff the England bowlers don't have vast Ashes experience. That's why I think it'll come down to which bowlers can handle the pressure better.

One more sleep ;D
      Dmasta
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,895 posts | 553 
      Reply #17: Jul 07, 2009 02:44:22 pm
      I love Glen McGrath, every series is gonna be a 5-0 whitewash for the Aussies. I suppose when you're as good as he was you can get away with saying anything.

He doesn't have vast Test experience though or Ashes experience. Did he play in 05? Tait and Kasprovich were ahead of him in the pecking order back then. He only has something like 20 Tests doesn't he? Other than Lee, the Aussies' bowlers don't have vast Test experience and other than Flintoff the England bowlers don't have vast Ashes experience. That's why I think it'll come down to which bowlers can handle the pressure better.

One more sleep ;D
      Maybe not so much international experience more domestic but you have to pretty good to go from a nobody to be ranked the second best test bowler in the world (currently 4th) after just twelve tests.

I have to say I disagree with Mcgrath on this one I dont think it will be a whitewash and it will be a reasonably even contest however I do believe the Aussies will just edge it.
      REDMAN
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,314 posts |
      Reply #18: Jul 07, 2009 05:18:15 pm
      Mcgrath full of sh*t as usual.Why can't he take his tinted specs off and look at the series properly.What a pr**k.Seriously there is little between the teams,i can easily see this series ending 2-2,with a draw someone along the line.
      Dmasta
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,895 posts | 553 
      Reply #19: Jul 07, 2009 05:19:10 pm
      Mcgrath full of sh*t as usual.Why can't he take his tinted specs off and look at the series properly.What a pr**k.Seriously there is little between the teams,i can easily see this series ending 2-2,with a draw someone along the line.
      The draw due to rain no doubt. ;)
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #20: Jul 07, 2009 09:57:06 pm
      It would be so annoying if this doesn't get underway tommorow due to rain.

Does anyone know the weather forecast?
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,352 posts | 2819 
      Reply #21: Jul 07, 2009 10:04:51 pm
      BBC says sunny intervals for tomorrow.
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,916 posts | 165