Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 29th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P8 W3 D3 L2

NHL & other Ice Hockey

Read 152233 times
      Red5man
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,616 posts | 76 
      Re: NHL & other Ice Hockey
      Reply #759: Nov 22, 2011 11:27:01 pm
      Crosby, Ovechkin... pfff... Stamkos is the real deal :P

Cheers mate!
      adammac
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,762 posts | 239 
      • Heart As Big As Liverpool
      Reply #760: Nov 23, 2011 02:17:41 am

Ovechkin been having a poor season by his standards so far, only 7 goals and 15 points so far.
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #761: Nov 23, 2011 02:32:16 am

Datsyuk?
      LFCbronx
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,405 posts | 191 
      Reply #762: Nov 23, 2011 12:23:20 pm

:gt-happyup:
      LFCbronx
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,405 posts | 191 
      Reply #763: Dec 06, 2011 08:11:35 pm
      Anyone see the new re-alignment today.  I'm not crazy about it. Especially the playoff system. Too much emphasis on the Conference. Schedule is heavy on conference games too.

There will be four "conferences," two comprised of eight teams, and two comprised of seven teams:

A)    Los Angeles Kings
             Anaheim Ducks
             San Jose Sharks
             Vancouver Canucks
             Phoenix Coyotes
             Colorado Avalanche
             Calgary Flames
             Edmonton Oilers

B)    Detroit Red Wings
             St. Louis Blues
             Chicago Blackhawks
             Winnipeg Jets
             Minnesota Wild
             Dallas Stars
             Columbus Blue Jackets
             Nashville Predators

C)    Florida Panthers
             Tampa Bay Lightning
             Montreal Canadiens
             Boston Bruins
             Buffalo Sabres
             Ottawa Senators
             Toronto Maple Leafs

D)    New York Rangers
             New York Islanders
             New Jersey Devils
             Philadelphia Flyers
             Washington Capitals
             Pittsburgh Penguins
             Carolina Hurricanes

While the term "conference" has been used exclusively, this is much more similar to the divisional setup abandoned prior to the 1998-99 season. The top four teams in each conference will make the playoffs, with 1 vs 4, 2 vs 3. When a winner emerges from each conference, the four remaining teams will be re-seeded based on total points, a particular that still has to be ratified by the general managers. The two remaining teams would then play each other in the Stanley Cup Finals.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,333 posts | 2834 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #764: Dec 08, 2011 02:36:39 pm
      Tampa will have a lot of traveling to do, won't they ???
      YANK_LFC_FAN
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,507 posts | 426 
      • Timid men prefer the calm of despotism!
      Reply #765: Dec 13, 2011 01:29:10 am
      Just heard that Crosby is out again with concussion problems.   That really sucks.  Here is a great kid on and off the Ice. He is easily the best player in a generation and was truly capable of achieving Gretzky like records and status.  Now he is probably going to retire.  Its sad.  I'm not a Pens' fan but I love Crosby. He was the real deal and surpassed the hype.  I was lucky enough to watch Gretzky play in his prime and my opinion, Crosby could be better than Gretzky.  His skills, his awareness on the ice, his passing and overall presence and speed is unreal. He was already an MVP, Stanley Cup winner, and could of had multiple Cups.

I am actually very disappointed in this and feel bad for him. Its bad for Hockey and bad for the game. He is a big reason that Hockey has come back and is popular again.

I am just really bummed by the news. I love watching him play because I know when I watch, Its greatness.

Good Luck, Sid. I hope you get better and can get past this and I am a HUGE fan.
      LFCbronx
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,405 posts | 191 
      Reply #766: Dec 13, 2011 01:44:35 pm
      Tampa will have a lot of traveling to do, won't they ???

Nothin like leavin nice warm Florida for  trips to Montreal and Toronto in the winter months. ;)

On Crosby, well I'm defo not a Pens fan, and not a fan of Crosby. I'll give Crosby credit for what he's done so far. But no way he's anywhere near Gretzky, or Lemieux for that matter. Still has alot of work to do to get in that discussion.  Fact is I'll take Messier every day of the week and twice on Sunday, but that's probably a bit biased. :)

Anyway too bad he's concussed again. I'll agree the league is better when he's playing

YANK_LFC_FAN
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,507 posts | 426 
      Reply #767: Dec 14, 2011 03:07:55 am
      Nothin like leavin nice warm Florida for  trips to Montreal and Toronto in the winter months. ;)

On Crosby, well I'm defo not a Pens fan, and not a fan of Crosby. I'll give Crosby credit for what he's done so far. But no way he's anywhere near Gretzky, or Lemieux for that matter. Still has alot of work to do to get in that discussion.  Fact is I'll take Messier every day of the week and twice on Sunday, but that's probably a bit biased. :)

Anyway too bad he's concussed again. I'll agree the league is better when he's playing

I totally disagree.  I grew up watching Gretzky, Lemieux, Messier, Lidstrom, Pavel Bure, Kariya, Bourque etc.. From what I have seen of Crosby and what he has already accomplished, he could break most of Gretzky's records. I also think he is just as good as Lemieux if not better.

He has a lot of work to do to surpass #99 and all his records. If he can stay healthy, and continue playing and have a long career, he will be considered in the same mold as Gretzky.  I dont think he could physically break some of the scoring records Gretzky has, but thats only because the game has changed and its just not possible to do so.   He is already the best player in the NHL. I would take him over Ovechkin and Sedin. He is easily the best all around player of any player in the league right now.

Look at what he has done already. He has already surpassed some of Gretzky and Lemieux's mark's.

He has the record as the youngest player score 100 Points in a season, Youngest to score 200 points, Youngest player to score back to back 100 point seasons, Youngest first team All-Star, Youngest to win Art Ross and Pearson Award, The youngest Captain to win the Cup, His rookie season he broke Lemieux's franchise record for assists and points. In 2006/2007 season he led the league in scoring being the youngest player to do so at 19, beating Gretzky's record in 1980 and he has a Gold Medal in the Olympics.

If he wasnt injured they could of won the Cup again. He missed 41 games and was still the leading scorer. in 2010/2011 he had a 25 game point streak where he scored 51 points.

I say this as someone who thinks Mark Messier is the greatest athlete and team player of any sport, ever.  I LOVE Messier. Certainly my favorite Hockey player and Ranger. They dont call him the "Messiah" for nothing.   The guy guarantees a win for playoff deciding game, then scores a Hat Trick. ...Cmon...... :o

But I am also a realist, and looking past my bias,  Sidney Crosby, if healthy, can be the greatest player since Gretzky and will easily break most of his records. Except all time Points Leader, I dont even think Crosby will be able to break that.  That record is UNREAL.  Other than that, Crosby will break most of them.

Crosby is just one of those, supreme athletes that only comes around every 20-30 years and just blow away their sport. . Someone so good he just makes it look easy. Someone who is a phenom and even at a young age people talk about them.  Guys like Gretzky, Jordan, Tiger Woods, Babe Ruth, Maradonna, Messi, Lance Armstrong, Michael Phelps etc..
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #768: Dec 16, 2011 12:55:13 am
      Crosby is definitely the closest I've seen to Gretzky (granted I was a young kid who didn't watch hockey in the time of Wayne, but i've watched plenty of games and highlights of his since) and I think Crosby certainly had the potential to be the modern day version. Of course as has been said, game has changed and the kinda numbers Gretzky was putting up are just unattainable it seems these days. Look at the top goalscorer for last season, Corey Perry (oh yeah, waddup! :D ) he scored 50 and won the scoring title, as well as MVP.

I say Crosby had a chance, because I honestly think his career is very much in jeopardy. He has some serious issues from these hits, and the fact he had so much time off the game to recover and came back, only to take another hit and have to sit out again, tells me he may never be right. Head injuries like that can be hugely debilitating (see Andre Waters for proof of that, RIP) and I wouldn't like to see Sidney ruin his life for a few more years in the league, as much as I love to watch him.

He already has achieved basically all he can, and should be considered an all time great already IMO. Such an impact at a young age, it's amazing. Of course it would be great for him I'm sure to win multiple titles and all, but he's gotta take whatever honest advice he is given. And I would not be surprised if doctors tell him that he should not play professional hockey anymore.

Anyways, as far as the season goes so far - uggh. Mormons are getting drunk more often than my Ducks are winning it seems (though a good win last night, finally).
      LFCbronx
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,405 posts | 191 
      Reply #769: Dec 17, 2011 04:10:02 am
      I totally disagree.  I grew up watching Gretzky, Lemieux, Messier, Lidstrom, Pavel Bure, Kariya, Bourque etc.. From what I have seen of Crosby and what he has already accomplished, he could break most of Gretzky's records. I also think he is just as good as Lemieux if not better.

He has a lot of work to do to surpass #99 and all his records. If he can stay healthy, and continue playing and have a long career, he will be considered in the same mold as Gretzky.  I dont think he could physically break some of the scoring records Gretzky has, but thats only because the game has changed and its just not possible to do so.   He is already the best player in the NHL. I would take him over Ovechkin and Sedin. He is easily the best all around player of any player in the league right now.

With all due respect Yank, I think you're way off on this. Gretzky is so far and away the best player that ever played hockey, and probably always will be.  Only Mario can even be considered it that arguement. Only other player to have that much effect on hockey was Bobby Orr, as he completely transformed the defense positon.

I know it's a different game now, Gretzky flourished in a wide-open high scoring decade , and Crosby plays in a much, much more tight checking defense first era. Mario got caught kinda in between, as a rookie in 1986 he was in his prime from 88 to about 96 when all the injuries and his illness slowed him considerably.  Just think about this, if Gretzky never scored a goal he would STILL be the all-time highest scored based on assists alone.

All those youngest records Crosby has , well he was luckier to start his NHL career about a year earlier than Gretz. Remember Gretz started in the WHA at age 18. Also Gretz never played in the Olympics. I'm sure if pro's were allowed back then he would have won several Gold's. Remember those series with the Russians in the 80's.
      Best hockey Ive ever seen in my life was the 3 game series in the 1987 Canada Cup vs USSR. All three games were 6-5 finals , the first two in OT. Gretzky and Lemieux teaming up to beat Russia. One on the greatest moments in hockey history. This was also before there were any Russians in the NHL , and it was an intense rivalry for years with the NHL vs USSR. Ah, I just had to You-Tube it....

Canada Cup 1987, Lemieux goal

Gives me goosebumps, just listen to how loud that crowd was. It's just not the same anymore.

Aw well, tangent over . Gretzkys numbers are just insane. Even compared to players in his era at such a young age. He completely dominated. Just look at how much better he was than the second best scorers.

GRETZKY
      Year    Age GP      G        A         PTS       *-league leader 
      79-80  19   79    51      86*    137*   Most assists and points. Rookie year
      80-81  20   80    55    109*    164*   2nd  A was 84, PTS 135      
      81-82  21   80    92*  120*    212*   2nd  G was 64. A 93, PTS 147    
      82-83  22   80    71*  125*    196*   2nd  G 66, A 86, PTS 124. Age 22 won title by 72      
      83-84  23   74    87*  118*    205*   2nd G 56, A 86, PTS 125. Age 23 .. 80 pt win. (thats 1 a game)   
      84-85  24   80    73*  135*    208*   2nd G 71, A 84, PTS 135. All 2nd's were teamates      
      85-86  25   80    52    163*    215*   2nd A 93, PTS 141

Crosby has only won one scoring title , in 06-07 w 120 PTS. And led the league in goals once with 51 in 2010 at age 22. Still very impressive resume. Has had injury problems, but still no where near as dominant as Gretzky. There's even a fair argument that he's not a unanimous choice as best player in the league, before the concussion. So , no I don't bring Crosby into a " best of all time arguement " for quite a while. Could turn out to be the best of his generation and a Hall of Famer.  If , we hope, he can get past this concussion issue. But that is serious SEE Eric Lindros.

Think Crosby , if healthy, could have an Yzerman type career , someone at that level. Which is damn good , but no where near Gretzky , just easy to forget how dominant Gretzky actually was. He had a vision of the ice like no-one before or since. 
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #770: Dec 17, 2011 04:10:29 pm
      On the subject of Gretzky... his daughter is a fun one to have on twitter as she loves posting pictures ;D

LFCbronx
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,405 posts | 191 
      Reply #771: Dec 17, 2011 06:01:20 pm
      On the subject of Gretzky... his daughter is a fun one to have on twitter as she loves posting pictures ;D

:jackoff:

;D
      LFCbronx
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,405 posts | 191 
      Reply #772: Jan 02, 2012 03:51:27 pm
      NHL's Winter Classic Today 3PM

RANGERS at FLYERS outside in the Phillies Baseball Stadium.

For those that don't watch alot of hockey, this is one to watch. Really entertaining.

So far the Away team has won every Classic, of course that will end today just because it's the Rangers :)
      JC16
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 861 posts | 86 
      Reply #773: Jan 03, 2012 01:57:57 am
      That was an awesome game today.  Suck it Philthy!!!
      adammac
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,762 posts | 239 
      Reply #774: Jan 03, 2012 04:09:04 am
      For those that don't watch alot of hockey, this is one to watch. Really entertaining.

Though it is fun it is a very over-hyped event, only reason it interests me cause I follow the HBO show

Think Crosby , if healthy, could have an Yzerman type career , someone at that level. Which is damn good , but no where near Gretzky , just easy to forget how dominant Gretzky actually was. He had a vision of the ice like no-one before or since. 

He would have a better career than Stevie Y who never even won the Heart in his career. It is way too hard to compare players who played in different era's but Crosby is a generational talent you see once every 20 years.
      JC16
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 861 posts | 86 
      Reply #775: Jan 03, 2012 05:28:56 am
      As far as the Gretzky #'s ever being broken.  I've done it on the XBOX, but really it would take a player 18, 50 goal seasons to catch him.  Not very likely given not only the defensive nature of the game, but also factor in the goalies.  The goalies Gretzky faced mere more pure athletes and were coached in the old ways by guys who didn't wear masks.  They wore smaller pads because they had to cover more ice etc.  Nowadays if a goalie comes out four feet above his crease there is no net to shoot at.  Different game, Different era.  But The Great One's records will not be broken.
      adammac
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,762 posts | 239 
      Reply #776: Jan 03, 2012 06:24:11 pm
      As far as the Gretzky #'s ever being broken.  I've done it on the XBOX, but really it would take a player 18, 50 goal seasons to catch him.  Not very likely given not only the defensive nature of the game, but also factor in the goalies.  The goalies Gretzky faced mere more pure athletes and were coached in the old ways by guys who didn't wear masks.  They wore smaller pads because they had to cover more ice etc.  Nowadays if a goalie comes out four feet above his crease there is no net to shoot at.  Different game, Different era.  But The Great One's records will not be broken.

Also the point where Wanye never had to deal with as much physical play due to  the stars of 80's who all had enforcers to protect them. Less likely to get hurt means more games and more points.
      LFCbronx
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,405 posts | 191 
      Reply #777: Jan 03, 2012 07:52:50 pm
      Also the point where Wanye never had to deal with as much physical play due to  the stars of 80's who all had enforcers to protect them. Less likely to get hurt means more games and more points.

True, also nobody could catch him , he was so elusive

But playing alongside Semenko also meant one less guy to pass to. Although he had Coffey which was like an extra forward.

I just try and compare a player to other players of his generation, and Wayne was the best of the best.
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #778: Jan 05, 2012 04:44:05 pm
      Nux top after a good game agaist Minnesota last night (this morning). Glad Manny got a goal, too.

WOOOOOOOOOOO!
      YANK_LFC_FAN
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,507 posts | 426 
      Reply #779: Jan 05, 2012 09:50:10 pm
      I just looked at the Points records and Gretzky's stats again. My previous posts regarding Crosby having a chance to break Gretzky's records for scoring, points, all around stats in comparison to Crosby may be a bit flawed. 

So to LFCBronx, I am man enough to give you props that a sliver of a microscopic piece of your argument may be somewhat, correct and I may have a tiny size mistake of my earlier assumptions. ....Take it or leave it, and then choke on it. ;D

For the most part. I think the era Gretzky played in must be taken into consideration and could be the biggest factor and may have skewed the comparrison, but LFCBronk is right, I hate to eat my words but, for the most part Gretzky will not be surpassed as the "Greatest Ever".  His numbers are just to insane.

I think the Points record(s)..Will probably never be broken. He broke the all time points record of Gordie Howe on his assists alone which, no matter how many times I see that I am just blown away.  But in fairness, Crosby is the only player of the last 10 seasons who has had a chance. His consussion problems will now pretty much end those chances, but you have to admit the similarities are striking, his early career in junior hockey, his awards and just god given talent is second only to Gretzky.  As you may of guessed i love Crosby and I am a Ranger fan. He is the most exciting player ive watched in years and is the only player where you can make an reasoned argument. 

Their earlier achievements are so very close with awards, and comparable ages to their accomplishments. I see a lot of a Gretzky in Crosby. He is an Instant game changer, and when you have a young player who came into the league as young as he did and had such a massive impact that the comparrisons and resemblance are striking. They both accomplished personal achievements that mirror eachother. Crosby has done things Gretzky hasnt and one thing I will stand by, without a doubt is that a healthy Crosby, was a better player, skill wise than Lemieux.

Also dont forget that the Pens were very, very close to folding. If it wasnt for Crosby the Pens may of been gone.

But in defense of my earlier posts in relating Crosby to Gretzky. I just went back and looked at gretzky's stats and records, I think that if Crosby had played in Gretzky's era, he would of put up huge numbers just like Gretzky.  But on the flip side, I dont think Gretzky would of done the same in this era.  I think Gretzky's size would of been detrimental to the more physically paced game now. I think he would of been a top goal scorer just based on his talent, but I dont know if he would of put up those ungodly numbers.

Just on a side note. One other thing I just noticed.  I looked at the all time goal leaders list. I had no idea just how close Brett Hull was to Gretzky in goals. Hull retired 154 shy of Gretzky, he's 3rd all time.  I never realized that.

But too LFC BRONX.  I hate to admit it, but I think I agree with you.  Plus we both love Messier (The MESSIAH)...So  you cant be all bad.  Maybe when I make a trip back to NYC we'll get together and have a few pints and bi*ch and yell each other while sitting in the Garden watching the Blueshirts and piss on the Devils.
      LFCbronx
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,405 posts | 191 
      Reply #780: Jan 06, 2012 03:52:42 am
      ^^^  Thanks  ;D

I wasn't havin a go at ya or nothin, but I think as time passes it's easy to forget how much he dominated.  The way he saw the game , it was like in slow motion to him.

Gretzky was once in a lifetime. Crosby is once a decade. I remember when Eric Lindros was the next "one".

As for Crosby / Lemieux, I still gotta give it to Mario (as much as I absolutely HATED him ). Crosby may end up a better player in the long run , but he's got a long way to go. He still only like 23 so it is possible.

Just Enjoy

Gretzky HQ 2011

I was at his last game, one of those times you never forget.

Back to 2012 now....

RANGERS WIN AGAIN!!!!!   Best team in the NHL, woo hoo. 1st time since '94 lead the league in pts in January.

Could it happen again , I think Lord Stanley misses Broadway , he had a good time last time he was in town  ;D
      LFCbronx
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,405 posts | 191 
      Reply #781: Jan 06, 2012 04:06:53 am
      Brett Hull ,  the greatest pure sniper Iv'e ever seen play.

Best Slap Shot one timer ever........

Brett Hull Slapshot Goals Compilation

Quick Reply