Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 9th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P4 W3 D1 L0

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Which partnership would you like to see on a regular basis next season?

Agger and Skrtel
      (33.9%)
      Agger and Carra
      (49.1%)
      Carra and Skrtel
      (17%)

The Centre-back Debate

Read 11283 times
      paulrobbo
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish
      • Started Topic

• 6,875 posts | 106 
      • We are the Mods!
      The Centre-back Debate
      Jul 07, 2009 01:01:41 pm
      Copying JD's thread that he started last season, I felt it would be an idea to have one this season.

I'm really interested in which CB partnership members on here would like to see on a regular basis next season? I saw a poll on the offal and the Agger and Skrtel partnership tops it at the moment which is interesting. Do we start resting Carra in games such as Stoke, Wigan, Blackburn etc where we might need that extra attacking threat from Agger? I'd be tempted to myself.

Can I also say that I hope Martin Kelly is given a chance as 4th choice CB at least up until January.
      « Last Edit: Sep 19, 2010 11:35:59 pm by Reslivo »
      paulrobbo
      • Started Topic

• 6,875 posts | 106 
      • We are the Mods!
      Re: The 09/10 Centre Back Debate
      Reply #1: Jul 07, 2009 01:05:05 pm
      Poll added.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,199 posts | 3390 
      Reply #2: Jul 07, 2009 01:05:55 pm
      Carra and Skrtel should get the nod on merit from last year. Although Dan impressed in the final few games of the year, before hand he was shaky.

But it'll all go on pre-season and who impresses most. I think Carra is a cert though.
      paulrobbo
      • Started Topic

• 6,875 posts | 106 
      • We are the Mods!
      Reply #3: Jul 07, 2009 01:13:08 pm
      I'm really undecided at the minute. It is a great predicament for Rafa to have though. We have two of the most promising CBs in Europe in Skrtel and Agger, one experienced, world class CB in Carra and two young prospects in Kelly and San Jose.
      Bpatel

• 9,902 posts | 158 
      Reply #4: Jul 07, 2009 01:13:54 pm
      I think Carras's still got a few years left in him so i think he should definitely be there.

Its really hard to choose between Agger and Skrtel because they're both very good players and each providing us with something different.

In the end i chose Carra and Skrtel because they've already got an established partnership.

kenny
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,314 posts | 76 
      Reply #5: Jul 07, 2009 01:14:48 pm
      I'm not sure at all about this one its a hard decision for Rafa to make. Myself personally think Carra first choice with Agger+ Skrtel figging it out for the other spot. Carra might be getting on a bit but its his presence and leadership skills that are vital and i think if it was Agger+Skrtel i think we would lack that slightly. I know its most likely to be our partnership eventually and yes against Stoke, Hull, Wolves etc we should give it a go.

It will be interesting to see if Rafa drops Carra more this season, it would be strange to see him on the bench on a regular basis. And ye why not give Kelly a go as 4th choice, Id rather that than spend 2m on Distan etc.
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Reply #6: Jul 07, 2009 01:16:20 pm
      This is a very difficult one.

I've voted Carra and Agger. They are all excellent defenders, but Carra is Vice Captain of Liverpool, and he leads the back line with an assurance that I don't think Agger or Skrtel are ready to do yet. They (Agger and Skrtel) are both superb defenders, but I think we need to give it a couple more seasons for them to take over the first choice roles.

As for the choice of Agger over Skrtel, this was again a very tricky one. Skrtel is one of my favourite players, already something of a "cult" hero, but I do think he's got a bit less assurance on the ball than Agger, and is more of a similar player to Carra.

Agger can often help make the transition from defence to attack, and whilst all central defenders need to know when to put the ball into row 'Z', he also seems to have a cool head and is ready to come forward with the ball when necessary. Some people may say that a defenders first priority should be defence, and I do think he is outstanding in this role, but I also feel at times we are more fluid through the centre of the park with Danny in the side.

That being said, this obviously comes down to people's personal preferences, as we are lucky to have three CB's of such quality, and whatever Rafa's final decision, I know we'll be solid at the back.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,199 posts | 3390 
      Reply #7: Jul 07, 2009 01:19:48 pm
      I don't like this idea of trying the Agger/Skrtel partnership against Stoke etc. It wouldn't be a fair reflection on their partnership because these teams won't attack us to see how they handle the pressure.
      paulrobbo
      • Started Topic

• 6,875 posts | 106 
      • We are the Mods!
      Reply #8: Jul 07, 2009 01:22:24 pm
      It will be interesting to see if Rafa drops Carra more this season

I do think Carra will be one of the first on the team sheet next season and it'll be a case of Skrtel and Agger fighting for that second spot. I just wanted to see what everyone else's opinion was on this. I think we might see Kelly partner Agger or Skrtel in Carling Cup games to give Carra a breather now and again. Even if he might not want it! I'm sure Carra will understand the importance of giving the younger lads a chance to show what they can do in the earlier rounds of the Carling Cup.
      kenny
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,314 posts | 76 
      Reply #9: Jul 07, 2009 01:23:31 pm
      I don't like this idea of trying the Agger/Skrtel partnership against Stoke etc. It wouldn't be a fair reflection on their partnership because these teams won't attack us to see how they handle the pressure.
      Just for gaining match practice as a partnership. ie Communication, reading each others games etc.
      paulrobbo
      • Started Topic

• 6,875 posts | 106 
      • We are the Mods!
      Reply #10: Jul 07, 2009 01:26:02 pm

I appreciate your point and agree to an extent, but it could be more useful in an attacking sense. Agger likes to bring the ball into midfield on occasions and that might just draw out another man and allow the likes of Masch and Alonso to push on that extra 10 yards or so.
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Reply #11: Jul 07, 2009 01:28:35 pm
      I do think Carra will be one of the first on the team sheet next season and it'll be a case of Skrtel and Agger fighting for that second spot. I just wanted to see what everyone else's opinion was on this. I think we might see Kelly partner Agger or Skrtel in Carling Cup games to give Carra a breather now and again. Even if he might not want it! I'm sure Carra will understand the importance of giving the younger lads a chance to show what they can do in the earlier rounds of the Carling Cup.

I love Carra's attitude, and we all know he wants to play every game, but with fitness becoming an issue as he enters his thirties, it will be down to Rafa to make him see sense.

I don't think he will be able to play the entire season and finish as freshly as he started it, if we are challenging in a couple of the cup competitions as well as for the title (as should be our objective). Call it rotation or resting or whatever, but Rafa will have to leave him out of some matches here and there as his experience could prove crucial in the latter stages of the season.
      kenny
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,314 posts | 76 
      Reply #12: Jul 07, 2009 01:30:03 pm
      As much as he likes to play every min of every game ( he never looks tired ), he knows its vital the younger lads learn there trade and who better than Carra to help them on there way, he's a true professional.
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #13: Jul 07, 2009 01:37:16 pm
      I have voted for the Carra and Agger partnership mainly because Agger is better on the ball and can give us another dimension moving forward. Agger did look shaky in some of the games he played but center half is a position that needs consistency. Fingers crossed he stays injury free and can string a good run of games together.
      Junior_Red
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 926 posts |
      Reply #14: Jul 07, 2009 02:12:33 pm
      Is picking Agger because he is left footed and it'll add more balance to the team a valid reason?
      Brooklyn Red

• 6,539 posts | 223 
      Reply #15: Jul 07, 2009 02:17:43 pm
      Yeah, I picked Carra-Agger for the same reasons already mentioned (Agger being more an offensive threat).

It pains me to say it seeing as Carra is a favorite of mine, but he's not getting any younger and it's soon going to be important to develop the relationship between the younger CBs.
      Shandaman
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 611 posts |
      Reply #16: Jul 07, 2009 02:25:28 pm
      I picked Agger and Skrtel.Carra  is one of the top defenders in the League but i wanna see Agger and Skrtel play next to each other more just so we can see if there is a partnership in the making and to make it an even better one.
      Ov3rdose
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,961 posts | 17 
      Reply #17: Jul 07, 2009 02:31:40 pm
      Picked Agger and Carra. Agger is a great defender, who can score from 30 yards, and Carra is one of the best CB's in the world.
      solodee

• 6,036 posts | 147 
      • Liverpool FC All The Way
      Reply #18: Jul 07, 2009 03:18:34 pm
      Short of having the three of them playing, I'd love to see Agger more alongside Carragher. Carragher organizes the defense well and Agger can score goals well.
      Eem

• 6,018 posts | 89 
      Reply #19: Jul 07, 2009 03:22:48 pm

That's a good point. We should give Carra a rest in cup ties and such and give Skrtel and Agger together in less important fixtures, like the carling cup.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #20: Jul 07, 2009 03:31:27 pm
      I chose Agger/Skrtel on the basis we need to look to the future, the sooner these two understand each others game the better we will be defensively and also give us that extra attacking option.

I know we already have the best defense in the PL and I appreciate Carra as still one the best CB's in the world, last season proved that.  His heart and soul is on show every time he pulls on the shirt, he would happily die for the Club if he thought it was necessary.

I think Agger is sublime on the ball but he doesn't have the same all out defensive crunching, last gasp tackle that Carra or Skrtel has yet.  (I still believe that had Skrtel played against Arsenal it wouldn't have ended 4 all as he would have stopped one of Arshaven's runs on goal).

Skrtel will become the Carra of the future, he's morphing into him already but still needs to read the game better and I'm sure this will start to happen when Carra doesn't play so much.  He will take on the responsibility of managing the backline in his absence.

I think we'll see a combination of all 3 rotating in both League and Cup matches, not to rest them but because Rafa, as the master tactician, will pick the best combination to nullify the oppositions attack, and if that's not much of a threat, (the lower teams), we will probably see Agger feature for his attacking qualities.  He could have made the difference in all those home draws last season.  
      redsonfire

• 5,660 posts | 111 
      • 96 Candles Burn Bright
      Reply #21: Jul 07, 2009 03:50:59 pm
      Carra's a definite in for me, considering the fact that he's the vice captain and he fully commits himself to Liverpool. Need I say more? His defending may not look as easy on the eye, so does his attacking, he isn't one of the most technically skilled players around, but the most committed you'll find anywhere. 'Who's bigger than Liverpool?' sums up his feelings for this club.

Agger and Skrtel are another different matter though. Both are solid defenders, are reliant and are consistent. Yes they may have a odd day off a few times, but they're human. However, both have different qualities in their game. Agger is more of a defender who can bring the ball forward, he brings composure and calm to the back four. On the other hand, Skrtel is more of a defensive player whose defending his top class but not one of the best in attacking.

For me I'm not going to vote, at the end of the day I feel it boils down to our opposition, I would rotate Agger and Skrtel depending on the other team's tactics, and whether is there a need to defend more, or less against them.
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #22: Jul 07, 2009 04:46:47 pm
      I chose Agger/Skrtel on the basis we need to look to the future, the sooner these two understand each others game the better we will be defensively and also give us that extra attacking option.

I know we already have the best defense in the PL and I appreciate Carra as still one the best CB's in the world, last season proved that.  His heart and soul is on show every time he pulls on the shirt, he would happily die for the Club if he thought it was necessary.

I think Agger is sublime on the ball but he doesn't have the same all out defensive crunching, last gasp tackle that Carra or Skrtel has yet.  (I still believe that had Skrtel played against Arsenal it wouldn't have ended 4 all as he would have stopped one of Arshaven's runs on goal).

Skrtel will become the Carra of the future, he's morphing into him already but still needs to read the game better and I'm sure this will start to happen when Carra doesn't play so much.  He will take on the responsibility of managing the backline in his absence.

I think we'll see a combination of all 3 rotating in both League and Cup matches, not to rest them but because Rafa, as the master tactician, will pick the best combination to nullify the oppositions attack, and if that's not much of a threat, (the lower teams), we will probably see Agger feature for his attacking qualities.  He could have made the difference in all those home draws last season.   

Pretty much nail on the head for me, Debs. Some very good points there. Although I must admit I don't like the idea of rotating centre backs, but I think you're right about Rafa doing it. Maybe not so much in the League games but almost certainly in cup games.

Quick Reply