Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 29th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P8 W3 D3 L2

Chris Mavinga - best be as good as Zidane - player thread

Read 29423 times
      arvindram
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 616 posts | 11 
      Re: Chris Mavinga - best be as good as Zidane - player thread
      Reply #46: Jul 23, 2009 12:22:45 pm
      I don't know how a centre back/full back can be a 'Zidane' but okay.

Hope this guy is decent, I know that their central defender Sakho is highly rated for a young player but I've never heard of this chap.

Wasn't Zidane a defender too? Remember the defensive header he had at the WC finals!
      Hiberpool
      • Forum Jason McAteer

• 143 posts | -2 
      Reply #47: Jul 24, 2009 12:55:14 pm
      Former PSG player felt Liverpool showed more determination

Last updated: 23rd July 2009

New Liverpool signing Chris Mavinga admits he has taken a risk in leaving Paris St Germain to move to Anfield.

The defender signed a three-year contract with the Premier League side earlier in July after Rafa Benitez's scouts identified the teenager's talents.

Mavinga did not play for the PSG first team during his time at the Parc des Princes, but still came to the attention of Benitez.

The 18-year-old would have liked to have featured for PSG but he could not turn down Liverpool, despite the competition for places, because they showed greater determination for his signature.

Pressure
      Mavinga said in L'Equipe: "I wanted to play on the Parc des Princes pitch. I would have loved to wear that shirt. PSG is the club in my heart.

"Liverpool followed me for one year. Benitez even talked to me, while I never had any talks with (PSG recruitment officer) Alain Roche or coach Antoine Kombouare.

"I made Liverpool wait while they put me under pressure. Then, (former boss) Paul Le Guen, who asked me to take part in some professional training sessions, left.

"I felt Paris only offered me a professional contract to stop me from leaving.

"I know I won't play at Anfield this season and the step to Liverpool's first team is higher at Paris. It is a risk, but an opportunity too."

He is making the right noises  ;)

Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #48: Nov 15, 2009 12:11:49 pm
      Defender earning rave reviews

Reserve boss John McMahon today praised the attitude and consistency of summer recruit Chris Mavinga.

The 18-year-old has been a regular member of the reserve team this season and has earned many plaudits for his impressive performances as the second string sit proudly at the top of the table.

He was signed by Rafael Benitez from from Paris St Germain in the summer and is settling in to his new surroundings rather nicely.

"Chris has shown a lot of good things in his game and he has been fantastic all season," McMahon told Liverpoolfc.tv.

"He is new to this country and he couldn't speak a word of English at the start but he has worked really hard to adapt here and learn the language quickly. What was really pleasing for me was he was constantly talking in English against Everton.

"He covers well and he can tackle. There's still a lot of work to be done with him but there's a lot of positives.

"He gets on really well with the other players and he is well liked. He is a nice lad and he has fitted in well."

Although Mavinga has played most of his football this season at centre-half, the reserve team boss believes left back could well be his best position.

"Playing at left back might be his position," he added. "He is comfortable playing at centre back or left back.

"He has got a range of passing, he is quick, determined and strong so he's got to keep working hard and improve more and more."

Interesting that he's right footed yet prefers playing at left back.

Anyway, well done Chris, hope the form continues.
      whyohwhyohwhy
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,283 posts | 95 
      Reply #49: Nov 15, 2009 12:30:15 pm
      He has been playing well so far and he's developing a good CB partnership with Ayala too.
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #50: Nov 15, 2009 12:34:48 pm
      I've only watched him a few times, but the few times I have watched him I've been more than impressed.

It's encouraging to see these good prospects coming through.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #51: Nov 15, 2009 02:12:13 pm
      I've seen him play a few times for the reserves and he looks a genuine talent.
      LFC_Stuart_1988
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,089 posts | 45 
      Reply #52: May 05, 2010 11:04:26 am
      'Mavinga has quality'

John McMahon believes Chris Mavinga could prove to be a very good prospect in the future after another excellent showing from the French defender at Sunderland.

The former Paris St Germain ace gave an outstanding display during the 1-0 win in what was John McMahon's side final game of the season.

Lauri Dalla Valle scored a superb goal but it was the display of Mavinga that caught the eye.

"It was good to end the season with a decent victory as Sunderland away is a tough place to come to," McMahon told Liverpoolfc.tv.

"Chris was very good for us and we are pleased with him. He started the season really well and then had a dip but he has ended the season in good form.

"He is a good prospect and can get better. He is a good lad and he has good attributes.

"Sometimes you have to recognize what you can do on certain pitches and that was never a good footballing surface. We made good decisions and did well."

McMahon also spoke about the progression of Dalla Valle after completing his first full season at Melwood.

"Lauri is capable of scoring goals like that," he added.

"It was good link-up play between him and Nikola Saric and he showed his quality.

"I think there is a lot more to come from Lauri and all of the players. He has still got a lot to do in terms of his progression, timing of his runs and how to use the ball. He has got really good attributes and hopefully he can keep progressing.

"Lauri is new to the Reserve set-up this season. The U18s had a striker shortage so we decided to keep Lauri with them for the first part of the season."

Academy U18s captain Conor Coady made his debut as a second half substitute and McMahon added: "Conor deserved his chance and it was nice to give him a chance.

"He has been in the squad a few times now and he has an outstanding attitude."

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/latest-news/mavinga-has-quality?

Watch out Insua  ;D
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,362 posts | 2877 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #53: May 05, 2010 11:47:53 am
      First time I seen him I thought oh no why have we bough this lad. Have to say hes turned me mindset since then. I like the look of him as a player
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,661 posts | 3895 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #54: May 05, 2010 12:40:07 pm
      Very good player for us in the reserves last night. Both of our centre back were assured. Definitely Mavinga is more suited to centre back than left back
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #55: May 05, 2010 06:04:54 pm
      Watched him a couple of times for the french under 18's and he was very impressive in an excellant french team, I've a good feeling about this lad.
      StevieG123
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,716 posts | 65 
      Reply #56: May 05, 2010 06:16:52 pm
      Where is he actually playing atm? Left back?
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,661 posts | 3895 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #57: May 05, 2010 06:21:27 pm
      Where is he actually playing atm? Left back?
      Played centre back last night and was boss
      Red5man

• 9,616 posts | 76 
      Reply #58: May 05, 2010 06:26:46 pm
      Everytime I watch Mavinga play, he stands out. Very good prospect.
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #59: May 05, 2010 06:49:19 pm
      I've only watched him a few times, but the few times I have watched him I've been more than impressed.

It's encouraging to see these good prospects coming through.

Stand by this.

Watched him a few more times since and he's really caught the eye.
      The Famous Kopite
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 789 posts | -22 
      • Edinburgh to Liverpool 260miles 4 90mins worth it
      Reply #60: May 05, 2010 06:49:57 pm
      Would like to see him in Pre Season and maybe Progress into the First Team.
      Henrik577
      • Banned

• 984 posts |
      Reply #61: May 05, 2010 08:13:10 pm
      Seems we've got a lot of promising youngsters coming through ATM which is really encouraging - but Rafa has to start being more open to taking a leap of faith with some of them (Would a young gangly slightly ill looking Steven Gerrard get anywhere near our first team ATM?)
      Rather than signing a Soto for £1.5M (sorry, I know he's a big favourite but an ordinary player IMO),or putting faith in El Zhar,etc, lets give one of these hungry youngsters a chance. Who knows, Paul Ince starting in place of Kuyt/Yossi might just have been the make up call soem of our 1st teamers had been needing at times this season........
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #62: May 06, 2010 12:25:00 am
      Paul Ince?

or Thomas Ince?
      kenny
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,314 posts | 76 
      Reply #63: Jul 30, 2010 09:08:12 pm
      Good news for the lad as they just won the Tournament. He played centre half and had a solid game.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #64: Jul 30, 2010 10:31:44 pm
      Ya heard he had a very good game I've high hopes for this lad, well done Chris.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #65: Jul 31, 2010 01:56:04 pm
      Congratulations Chris - Under 19's European Champion.  Wonder how many others in all the current squads can say that?
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #66: Jul 31, 2010 01:57:58 pm
      Isn't he a centre back who can play at left back?   :P
      kenny
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,314 posts | 76 
      Reply #67: Aug 01, 2010 02:58:33 am
      Isn't he a centre back who can play at left back?   :P
      Ye I think his natural position is LB but he's that f**king good he can play CB aswel. Good up and coming player I think.
      Red5man

• 9,616 posts | 76 
      Reply #68: Aug 23, 2010 03:17:19 pm
      http://www.francefootball.fr/FF/breves2010/20100823_153902_mavinga-envie-de-partir.html

The link is in French, but Mavinga goes on to say 'I'm disappointed, angry, want to leave. Roy prefers Eng players to foreign'

Would be a shame if he leaves. Quality young lad with potential to be a player at Liverpool.

Quick Reply