Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W11 D6 L12

Alvaro Arbeloa Player Thread

Read 32316 times
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Re: Alvaro Arbeloa Player Thread
      Reply #115: Mar 24, 2009 05:30:54 am
      I rate him as the best right-back in the league.
      Who's as good as him defensively and attacking? None. He just needs to shoot more.

Agree with the shooting, has a beast of a shot from what i've seen and that goal he scored, wow.

One of the best RB's in the world, no doubt. To think, no other club spotted him. Thank god Rafa signed him for the Real youth team so he knew just how good he was/can be.
      DC
      • Forum John Toshack

• 261 posts |
      Reply #116: Apr 12, 2009 01:41:17 am
      He's such an unsung hero for us. He covers an absolutely unbelievable amount of ground. Lots of full out sprints the length of the pitch. I would bloody love to see his and Mascherano's bleep test.
      Billo
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,703 posts | 894 
      Reply #117: Apr 12, 2009 01:55:18 am
      Big step from last season, he is more of attacking RB now, shows he has more confidence in himself. which is a very good thing. replacing him now would be straight stupidity.
      But I dont agree that he is the best RB there is, out there at this very moment, but he has the potential to be under sammy and rafa. I wouldnt replace him for anyone. I would actually miss his "jump on everyone" celebration  ::)
      FabulousAurelio
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 537 posts | 11 
      Reply #118: Apr 21, 2009 04:56:03 pm
      I must admit I wasn't very comfortable with him at right back before this season but he really has won me over and proved himself to be a top class RB. So glad he has proved me wrong. Arby is class!
      Dadorious
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #119: May 25, 2009 06:24:48 am
      Any ideas where he was yesterday?

Surely Carra didnt slap him out that hard.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,654 posts | 6949 
      Reply #120: May 25, 2009 10:07:19 am

Was wondering the same thing. Wasn't on the bench was he either?  He was there at the end though.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #121: May 25, 2009 10:24:34 am
       It does seem strange that Arbeloa was not even on the bench and yet we had Degan on the bench.Could Arbeloa be on his way,I wonder.
      Eem

• 6,018 posts | 89 
      Reply #122: May 25, 2009 10:41:13 am
      It does seem strange that Arbeloa was not even on the bench and yet we had Degan on the bench.Could Arbeloa be on his way,I wonder.

On the website it said he had picked up an injury.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,265 posts | 2827 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #123: May 25, 2009 10:47:22 am
      He was there at the end though.

Thats the main thing. No point adding 2 and 2 and getting 5
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #124: May 25, 2009 10:54:38 am
      On the website it said he had picked up an injury.
      Thanks for that Eem
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,014 posts | 3352 
      Reply #125: May 25, 2009 03:13:52 pm
      Arby is one of the contenders for our player of the year in my opinion. He goes unnoticed but is constantly a very good player. He's been good all season, not just for a few months like a few others.

Another solid season from our number 17 - thank you.
      redsonfire

• 5,660 posts | 111 
      • 96 Candles Burn Bright
      Reply #126: May 25, 2009 03:32:51 pm
      Think hes an unsung hero. Often he puts in a solid and consistent shift game in game out. Yes, also very underrated player. Wouldn't say he is one of the contenders for the player of the year, but definitely, feel hes just equally as good as the Finnan we replaced. Or maybe even better.

Needs to cut out on those silly tackles though.
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #127: May 25, 2009 03:51:58 pm
      Great season from Arby, what a buy he has been... what was it 3mill or something
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #128: May 25, 2009 03:54:49 pm
      Great season from Arby, what a buy he has been... what was it 3mill or something

Was virtually an unknown player too.
      Singh_YNWA
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,071 posts |
      Reply #129: May 25, 2009 09:54:12 pm

I reckon our Rafa give Arby n Carra punishment for their spat..... Arby wasnt in the team and Carra was forced to play Arby's role on a hot sunny day to make him realise how hard isit to play that position... Haha :D

Injury was the word but im sure Rafa was experimenting MS/DA partnership as that is the future...
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #130: May 26, 2009 01:55:22 am
      Definetly the leagues most under rated player. Came here for piss money something like 2.5 mill and has now quadripled his value.

Had a great season overall and showed tremendous improvement in his game I still would like to see him work a bit more on his crossing and shooting.

What impresses me most is that he worked so hard the entire season without having a genuine contender for his position. Degen - no show, Darby never given a chance and Carra well we all know.
      Eem

• 6,018 posts | 89 
      Reply #131: May 26, 2009 08:30:44 am
      I still think Arbeloa is the best right back in the league. He's consistent, can defend and can bring it up to attack. My biggest worry is his shooting, or his unwillingness to shoot. we've seen it a few times this season, he beats a player, no-one in front, chance to have a go at goal but because it's on his left, he's decided to knock it back to Torres or Dirk.

Also, his crossing could do with some work, but they are good problems to have, IMO. As long as it's all fine in the defensive end.

Does need to cut out the rash challenges, though. But other than that, a great season Alvaro! Keep it up!
      adammac
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,762 posts | 239 
      • Heart As Big As Liverpool
      Reply #132: May 26, 2009 07:16:52 pm
      I still think Arbeloa is the best right back in the league.

Arboloa is a lot of good things but he isn't the best in the Premiership. He had a good season, very consistent in his play but like you said had some weaknesses to his game like the rash tackles (I believe he got the most cards this season) and though he has got better going forward but lacks some attacking qualities like his decision making when he gets into the box.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #133: May 26, 2009 07:30:30 pm
      He has improved a hell of a lot but I think people on here are getting carried away if they think he is the best in the premiership, he was a great buy in such that If we sold him we would make a massive profit, a lot of independent observers seem to think full backs are our problem positions. I personally think Arbeloa and Aureilo are adequate without being top class. I think Finnan was a better player at his peak than Arbeloa.
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #134: May 27, 2009 06:59:54 am
      To be fair to Arbeloa when comparing him to Finnan the latter was allready an established right back in the premier league, playing something like 130 consecutive games for Fulham. I Still think Arbeloa is young and has more to learn and give at the same time. I think this season has showed he was an absolute bargain at 2.5 million, Chelsea has wasted a sh*t load to cover that position Ferreira, Bridge Bosingwa. Only Bosingwa has been at the same level as Arbeloa this season and that was during the early stages of the season, he seemed to die in the as towards the back end of the season.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #135: May 27, 2009 01:48:19 pm
      I think he's an unsung hero and is pretty underrated. People talk about Rafael, Bosingwa, Sagna and others but I think Arbeloa just doesn't get the recognition he deserves.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #136: May 27, 2009 01:58:14 pm
      Got to give credit to Rafa here. Arby had played 1 season in the top flight after struggling with Castilla. Spots talent doesnt he?
      Eem

• 6,018 posts | 89 
      Reply #137: May 27, 2009 02:13:32 pm
      Got to give credit to Rafa here. Arby had played 1 season in the top flight after struggling with Castilla. Spots talent doesnt he?

Spots talent on the cheap. Would love to be a chairman with a manager who can buy a player of such quality for 2.5 million quid.

Hugely under-rated player.

Quick Reply