Trending Topics

Next match: Everton v LFC [Premier League] Wed 24th Apr @ 8:00 pm - Pre Match Topic
      Goodison Park

Today is the 23rd of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W11 D4 L10

Llanelli v Motherwell

Read 1358 times
      5starred
      • Forum Michael Robinson
      • Started Topic

• 52 posts |
      Llanelli v Motherwell
      Jul 09, 2009 06:14:45 pm
      May not interest everyone but its my home town.

Small amateur club from Wales, Llanelli made the biggest surprise in the first-legs of UEFA Europa League Qualifications. The team leader and absolutely number one is player-manager Andrew "Andy" Legg, 42 years old, who made a world record with 41m long throw! Before the game, the European audience (including myself, have to admit) was making the jokes about his statement how they're not afraid, will give their best to eliminate the Scotchmen and will try to make them run! Somehow it still sounds funny.

However, Llanelli successfully defended the entire game. Goalie Ashley Morris was brilliant the whole 90 minutes and kept his net until the end. To make the game even more shocking, Stuart Jones scored in the 28th minute and humiliated home boss Jim Gannon on his debut. In the re-match they have no reason to make some tactical changes. They'll defend the whole game with ten players on their own goal and wait for Andy's long throw.

Motherwell had a season that fell under all expectations. The club finished the regular part of season at seventh place and played in the play-offgroup. They reached Europe thankfully to fair-play invitation. Then nobody thought it could be worse. New manager Jim Gannon faced the leaving of some important players, including excellent striker David Clarkson (went to Bristol City). At the first step they suffered an embarrassing defeat from Welsh part-timers and that can be only the forecast of forthcoming season. With the current roster, additionally filled with the youngsters and without new signings, Motherwell will very possibly face a battle for avoiding relegation. But, the fact is, even with eleven youngsters on the pitch, Motherwell is the far better team.

The good news is game has been moved from the Reds home ground Stebonheath Parks to Parc y Scarlets, capacity of just under 15,000. The pitch is bigger, usually it is advantage for the more quality team. The fans show unlimited support and 3,300 tickets have been allocated to them. Now, it is not funny. Players won't point fingers at the Welshmen. Fans won't cheer the amusing songs about them. Andy Legg's lads deserved their respect. The club's name is the stake and every possibility about underestimating them is excluded. During the past few days the British press have been making a joke from them and I expect the answer. Counting on pure rage on the pitch, I go on away win with a lead at half time. So come on my local reds! 1 nil up
      « Last Edit: Jul 09, 2009 08:42:16 pm by CRK, Reason: Spread post out, drastically changed the structure and altered spelling mistake in title. »
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Re: Llanelli v Mothwell
      Reply #1: Jul 09, 2009 06:31:31 pm
      Well done to your hometown mate. Bet its buzzing to be around there.

Those Brits eh? Join the club ;)

Quick Reply