Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Jermaine Pennant (Liverpool to Real Zaragoza)

Read 14779 times
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 19,250 posts | 2854 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Jul 10, 2009 08:52:28 am
      Pennant signs for Real Zaragoza,

adios, enjoy the sun!

« Last Edit: Jul 10, 2009 12:20:34 pm by JD, Reason: Alright sir, I locked the original LFC Player Thread and pointed it to this topic for any further discussions. »
      macca8
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,258 posts | 83 
      • If you can't love us, then fear us!
      Reply #1: Jul 10, 2009 11:53:11 am
      So when will it be locked?
      Gow
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,531 posts | 282 
      Reply #2: Jul 10, 2009 11:53:37 am
      I'm glad to see the back of that waster!
      Alastair
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,414 posts |
      • Biggidy Biggidy Boom!
      Re: Jermaine Pennant (Liverpool to Real Zaragoza)
      Reply #3: Jul 10, 2009 12:21:58 pm
      All the best Pennant.............(Borat Voice) NOTTTTTT!!!!!
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #4: Jul 10, 2009 12:26:32 pm
      All the best Pennant.............(Borat Voice) NOTTTTTT!!!!!

macca8

• 5,258 posts | 83 
      Reply #5: Jul 10, 2009 12:39:34 pm
      The only thing I remembered about him was the goal against Chelsea, other than that I'm absolutely clueless...anyway have a safe trip and adios!
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #6: Jul 10, 2009 02:21:40 pm
      Pennant Quote On Joining Real Zaragoza....

(USA Today)

"I wanted to come to Spain and I rejected offers from other teams in Europe ( who ! ? )   :lmao:  to sign for Real Zaragoza," Pennant said on the club's Web site.
       "I can't wait for the season to start."

Liverpool had paid Birmingham City 6.7 million pounds (euro7.8 million; $10.9 million) for the former Arsenal and Watford player in 2006.

He scored three goals in 81 games for Liverpool.

£82,716.00 per game.

£2,233,333.00 per goal.

We need to get our sums right.
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #7: Jul 10, 2009 02:23:50 pm
      Dont let the door hit your vagina on the way out Jermaine.
      Gow
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,531 posts | 282 
      Reply #8: Jul 10, 2009 02:24:35 pm
      Is he allowed to leave the country by the way? Won't his parole officer be upset?
      macca8

• 5,258 posts | 83 
      Reply #9: Jul 10, 2009 02:33:07 pm
      Maybe or maybe not...guess he'll be bringing his parole officer with him or will they'll provide one for him.
      Which other european clubs tried to lure him? Madrid? Barca? Munich? AC Milan? Too much weed bad for your imagination, Pennant!
      redsonfire

• 5,660 posts | 111 
      • 96 Candles Burn Bright
      Reply #10: Jul 10, 2009 02:59:46 pm
      Enjoy Spain Pennant ;)

Dont let the door hit your vagina on the way out Jermaine.

He got his vagina out already because its after the 1st of July :lmao:
      macca8

• 5,258 posts | 83 
      Reply #11: Jul 10, 2009 05:14:23 pm
      Jermaine Pennant signs for Real Zaragoza, immediately serves up backhanded compliment
      You heard it here first that Jermaine Pennant was about to sign for a Spanish club. We guessed at Espanyol, but it turns out that newly-promoted Real Zaragoza was his final destination after flying in to Barcelona.

The ex-Liverpool man passed a medical at his new club yesterday and was unveiled last night as Zaragoza’s first signing of the summer. Pennant immediately avoided any remaining suggestions that he is arrogant by telling the media that he had turned down proper clubs to sort out Zaragoza.

He said: “I wanted to come to Spain and I had offers from important teams in Europe but joined Real Zaragoza.”

On a related issue, OTP would never trust the business plan of a club sponsored by its own website!
      http://www.offthepost.info/2009/07/jermaine-pennant-signs-for-real-zaragoza-immediately-serves-up-backhanded-compliment/
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #12: Jul 10, 2009 08:33:52 pm
      Good luck to Zaragoza.

Expect to see him causing trouble there, he couldn't even settle at a Prem team for a significant period of time so how he is going to do it in a foreign country is beyond me :laugh:
      scottish lfc fan
      • Forum John Toshack

• 271 posts | -4 
      Reply #13: Jul 11, 2009 01:28:06 pm
      good luck to him
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #14: Jul 11, 2009 04:54:10 pm

Think you mean good luck to Zaragoza :laugh:
      justice4the96
      • Forum Graeme Souness

• 360 posts |
      Reply #15: Jul 11, 2009 07:29:53 pm
      Good luck Jermaine lad and adios amigo. Enjoy the weather and keep yourself out of trouble. Im sure he will do well in Spain and Zaragoza are a decent side.
      robbyr
      • The king of randomness and highly intellectual debate
      • Banned

• 2,684 posts | 27 
      Reply #16: Jul 12, 2009 01:04:24 am
      hey he did well in Athens.....although we did lose.

good luck JP, he said when he left he will always be an LFC fans as he was as a kid....good lad.
      red_micheal
      • Forum Matt Busby

• 126 posts |
      Reply #17: Jul 12, 2009 12:56:04 pm
      Think you mean good luck to Zaragoza :laugh:

Ditto......
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,111 posts | 896 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #18: Jul 12, 2009 01:54:33 pm
      Didn't perform anywere near his potential wish him all the best..
      solodee

• 6,027 posts | 147 
      • Liverpool FC All The Way
      ROBO KOP: Pennant rips into RAFA a new one (Interesting Interview)
      Reply #19: Sep 27, 2009 01:33:49 am
      ROBO KOP

By NEIL ASHTON, 26/09/2009

JERMAINE PENNANT is on a roll, raiding down the right wing and pinging precision balls into the box. The ex-Liverpool midfielder is living on the edge again, at full throttle after a flying start to his new career in Spain.

This is football's original bad-boy, the tearaway with enough tricks up his sleeve to slice open the smartest defences. The shackles are off at Real Zaragoza, a free spirit after three unfulfilled years at Anfield under Rafa Benitez.

Pennant, still only 26, revealed: "When I was on the touchline all I could hear was Benitez giving me directions.

"At times I'd think 'why don't you just put the batteries in and turn me into a robot'."

But he is his own man again in Zaragoza, living in a plush apartment block in the centre of town and picking up Spanish tit-bits from his new team-mates. He loves the laidback lifestyle after three years of listening to Benitez barking orders.

"Sometimes I just wanted to play my natural game, but there were so many instructions: how to go forward, how to defend.

"He has been through so many players, so many strikers, so many midfielders that he takes the best attributes out of them.

"With Fernando Torres he backed him, told him to score goals and that is exactly what Fernando has done. With his wingers he wants them to do something different. 'Do this, do that, don't cross there'.

"He would tell me to go to the byline and beat a man, but sometimes you don't have to. I prefer to take the politics out of the game."

Pennant has no regrets, not even after leaving Liverpool with just 55 appearances to show for his hefty price tag.

To Pennant's mind, he played for the team he supported as a kid being dragged up on a Nottingham council estate.

He achieved an ambition every time he ran out for the Reds, playing for a top four team in front of 40,000 or more.

He added: "I don't have regrets - what's the point? The bad times make me appreciate the good and right now I'm having a good time. It was Benitez's choice whether to play me.

"He makes the decisions. Liverpool bought Dirk Kuyt as a striker and they play him right wing.

"Rafa has to play him because of the fee they paid for him. He has to justify the price, so he plays him on the right because Fernando is up front.

"Xabi Alonso is one of the best passers I have ever seen, he could pick you out from anywhere but he didn't see eye to eye with Rafa either. I never really got a run in the team. I always felt that if my game was not 100 per cent there was a chance I would not play in the next game."

He rarely got the run he craved, a victim of Benitez's rotation system as the Liverpool chief searched for a title-winning team. His electrifying performance in the 2007 Champions League final against Milan is a cherished moment, a rare success during his career at the club.

Pennant added: "That was probably my best game for Liverpool, but Rafa treated me harshly when I came back from injury the following season. I didn't understand it. There are players at Liverpool and you think 'how is he getting a game?', but Rafa has faith in them. He thinks some of the players are the best thing since sliced bread.

"Rafa didn't have confidence in me. I'd play one week, then I'd be out of the team and think 'hold on a minute - last week I scored one and made two. How does that work?'

"He can be cold, but that's his style. He has a special relationship with Steven Gerrard and Jamie Carragher - but that's because they are Liverpool. There were times when he took offence with me because he could see how frustrated I was.

"I don't know the reasons, but he's won the European Cup and you can't argue with that. It kills half of Liverpool that they haven't won the league for so long. Something can't be right and they need to start looking into it quickly."

He left on loan last January, rediscovering his zest for the game during a productive six month spell with Portsmouth.

Pennant played his part at Fratton Park, helping to keep the team in the top flight.

He quit for Zaragoza, rebuilding his life in Spain - "I knew the place was somewhere between Madrid and Barcelona" - with a newly-promoted team.

The past will always follow him, but he is remarkably comfortable with the character-assassinations that have accompanied his turbulent career.
      Controversy

Even the mention of the 30-day jail term he served in 2005 fails to unseat him. He accepts that he will always corner the market when it comes controversy.

He added: "In England I got caught up in certain things, but I'd like to think it will be different here. Trouble seems to follow me around and I'm an easy target. People here are a bit more respectful and they leave the players alone. The manager doesn't mind if we go out in our own time and that suits."

He's been an instant hit, providing more crosses in La Liga so far this season than any other player - including Cristiano Ronaldo.

But he would swap everything to play for Arsene Wenger again at Arsenal, accepting that he "lost the plot" when he lost his place in 2003.

He said: "Wenger was more relaxed than Benitez, he would give me proper advice. He would encourage me to show my skills and that is why he has done so well with young players.

"He would always tell me that I had amazing potential.

"Unfortunately, there was so much hype around me I thought I should be playing every week. When it didn't happen I got frustrated and lost the plot."

Pennant's immediate ambition is to do well enough in Spain to force his way into Fabio Capello's World Cup squad. The countdown to South Africa is well under way, but Pennant is convinced that he can still pinch a place on the plane.

He added: "The ambition is to get into the World Cup squad. I've never been named in a squad, but I've never given up hope. Capello has twice been a manager out here and if he comes to Spain he's only coming to watch one player.

"Ian Wright got into the England team when he was 26 or 27 and I know it can be done.

"My assets are pace, going past players and crossing. I don't think anyone in that squad crosses the ball as well as me."

He's right, and even a robot couldn't be programmed to do that.

http://liverpoolfc.co.za/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/1126051643/m/351108294

Pennant is sill bitter. I wish him all the best in Real Zaragoza and hope he doesn't ruin it there too.
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Re: ROBO KOP: Pennant rips into RAFA a new one (Interesting Interview)
      Reply #20: Sep 27, 2009 01:38:31 am
      Sorry mate. But I stopped reading when a sh*te drunken ex player started slagging Rafa off.

Topic locked.
      MsGerrard
      Re: ROBO KOP: Pennant rips into RAFA a new one (Interesting Interview)
      Reply #21: Sep 27, 2009 01:47:15 am
      Well in Kenny, I'm sick to death of ex-players slagging the boss off, they've left FFS get over it.  :mad:
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #22: Sep 27, 2009 11:14:21 am
      Merged in to the Jermaine Pennant thread.

Simple fact is Jermaine Pennant wasn't good enough to play in Liverpool's first XI.  He was a bargain basement emergency purchase and was about our fourth choice for winger that season we got him.

If he put as much effort in to his football and training as he did in to his drinking and partying he may have done a bit better.

Good riddance to bad news.

Quick Reply