Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 30th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W15 D5 L6

Liverpool FC Reserves Thread 09/10

Read 71696 times
      lefty1896
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,700 posts | 23 
      • He scores a goal and the kop goes wild...
      Re: Liverpool FC Reserves Thread 09/10
      Reply #759: Apr 13, 2010 10:46:52 pm
      Liverpool Reserves' hopes of winning the title suffered a major blow after Gabriel Obertan fired league leaders Manchester United to a 1-0 win in Altrincham.

John McMahon's side, who were without star man Dani Pacheco due to Spain U19 duty, couldn't make it a hat-trick of victories over their north-west rivals this season - and now trail top spot by nine points.

There is still some hope for Liverpool, who have four games to reduce the deficit - two more than United.

Ole Gunnar Solskjaer selected a side littered with first-team experience for a clash which was always going to have a big say in which team clinched the title.

And it was United who mustered the first opening when Cameron Stewart pounced on a brave block from Victor Palsson before blasting into the hoardings.

Seconds later Lauri Dalla Valla made a nuisance of himself at the other end only to miss the target from inside the six-yard box. The Finn's blushes were spared by the linesman, who adjudged the ball to have gone out of play before the cross came in.

It looked promising for Liverpool when Damien Plessis snatched possession high up the pitch, but the young Frenchman seemed caught between passing and shooting. In the end he chose the former, by which time Ritchie De Laet was in a strong enough position to intercept.

United almost made the breakthrough when Obertan - who has featured in the Champions League this season - burst down the left before centring to Fabian Brandy. United's No.9 fired towards goal and had almost peeled off to celebrate by the time Palsson intervened with an incredible goalline clearance.

Peter Gulacsi then had to tip over following a freak cross from the lightning quick Brandy.

Gerardo Bruna and Francisco Duran both struck decent free-kicks towards Ben Foster's goal before the break but it was a half when Liverpool failed to impose themselves on their hosts and were too reliant on long balls to Dalla Valle.

United, then, will feel their lead was deserved when it came after Obertan out-muscled Plessis outside the area on 44 minutes before unleashing a right-foot rocket into the top corner.

McMahon will have been pleased to see Brandy substituted at half-time, though the equally impressive Obertan nearly doubled the home side's advantage within seconds of the restart when he drilled wide after getting the better of Chris Mavinga.

The former Bordeaux man soon threatened again with a speculative hit which sailed narrowly over. Oliver Norwood then tried his luck from an angle but it was well held by Gulacsi.

McMahon swapped Dalla Valle and Duran for Kacaniklic and Mendy - and the changes seemed to make an impact.

It was Mendy who crossed for Plessis to head wide as Liverpool finally created a second-half chance on 69 minutes.

Stewart hit the crossbar down at the other end but the Reds' hard work was finally paying dividends with some meaningful possession in United's half.

Young Alex Cooper thundered a decent shot wide as the game wore on, while Mavinga could have been guilty of a spectacular own goal after finding himself under pressure in his own box. Thankfully his slice away went for a corner instead of rippling the net.

The leveller didn't arrive and Liverpool now need United to drop points in their remaining two games to stand any chance of clinching a 19th reserves league title.

Liverpoolfc.tv Man of the Match: Victor Palsson.

Liverpool Reserves: Gulacsi, Irwin, Cooper, Mavinga, Palsson, Amoo, Duran (Mendy 64), Plessis, Bruna, Saric, Dalla Valle (Kacaniklic 66). Subs not used: Hansen, Brouwer, Kohlert.

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/latest-news/french-ace-wins-title-clash

Going to watch this 1 in the morning. really like what i've seen of palsson so far he's pretty cool on the ball. Is Tom Ince in the u18s because I thought he had played in the reserves before.
      IrishRed_IO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,483 posts | 343 
      • Formerly InertObject
      Reply #760: Apr 13, 2010 11:05:19 pm
      Hard luck lads. Bounce back after this and give it your best!
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #761: Apr 13, 2010 11:08:20 pm
      Going to watch this 1 in the morning. really like what I've seen of palsson so far he's pretty cool on the ball. Is Tom Ince in the u18s because I thought he had played in the reserves before.

Tom usually plays in the U18's but you're right he has played in the reserves too.
      lefty1896
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,700 posts | 23 
      Reply #762: Apr 13, 2010 11:25:04 pm
      Tom usually plays in the U18's but you're right he has played in the reserves too.

hes playing quite well too isnt he? I thought id seen him play in the same team as dalla valle. Who impressed tonight then?
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,611 posts | 3844 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #763: Apr 14, 2010 12:31:12 pm
      Was interesting to see the difference in the two sets of players last night. The mancs were largely made up of failed signings  who are filling the reserves and therefor providing no function what so ever as far as youth development. Where as the Liverpool reserves had a lot of youth team players who stepped up because our most promising reserves were absent due to loan deals(Eccleston, Spearing, Darby, Nemeth) or so good they were away on international(Pacheco)... We might have lost but I think the boys did themselves proud last night. Although I would say Plessis has stood still development wise.
      lefty1896
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,700 posts | 23 
      Reply #764: Apr 14, 2010 01:04:37 pm
      Was interesting to see the difference in the two sets of players last night. The mancs were largely made up of failed signings  who are filling the reserves and therefor providing no function what so ever as far as youth development. Where as the Liverpool reserves had a lot of youth team players who stepped up because our most promising reserves were absent due to loan deals(Eccleston, Spearing, Darby, Nemeth) or so good they were away on international(Pacheco)... We might have lost but I think the boys did themselves proud last night. Although I would say Plessis has stood still development wise.

Definitely mate, I watched it this morning and he just seems to lack any enthusiasm at all. A couple of weeks ago he booted someone in the face, I think it was against Bolton Reserves and that showed he could have a nasty streak in his game. Lack of enthusiasm and petulance arent a good combination for me.

On the plus side I think Alex Cooper has done brilliantly stepping up into the team he's full of confidence and looks as though he would run through a brick wall for us. He's a promising player. Amoo pushed on and tried to attack alot too. Shame we didn't see much of Dalla Valle, he struggled to get into the game, and Pacheco missing was huge for us.

Though the first half was run by the lad in centre midfield for them, think it was Norwood or something,  second half we were unlucky not to get something from it. I know what you mean about the failed signings foster and obertan reckon they would have been expecting to play somewhere other than the reserves.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,611 posts | 3844 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #765: Apr 14, 2010 01:12:58 pm
      Definitely mate, I watched it this morning and he just seems to lack any enthusiasm at all. A couple of weeks ago he booted someone in the face, I think it was against Bolton Reserves and that showed he could have a nasty streak in his game. Lack of enthusiasm and petulance arent a good combination for me.

On the plus side I think Alex Cooper has done brilliantly stepping up into the team he's full of confidence and looks as though he would run through a brick wall for us. He's a promising player. Amoo pushed on and tried to attack alot too. Shame we didn't see much of Dalla Valle, he struggled to get into the game, and Pacheco missing was huge for us.

Though the first half was run by the lad in centre midfield for them, think it was Norwood or something,  second half we were unlucky not to get something from it. I know what you mean about the failed signings foster and obertan reckon they would have been expecting to play somewhere other than the reserves.

Saw the Plessis "tackle". Nasty stuff.
      Thought Cooper has done very well since stepping up and so has Dalla Valle he did score. Unfortunate that it didn't count.
      Amoo has had better games and we missed Spearing and Pacheco. Anyway Mc Mahon is doing a great job and looking forward to seeing Rodolfos on Friday. It should be mentioned that our teams are the youngest in both so its a great job on both accounts.
      lefty1896
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,700 posts | 23 
      Reply #766: Apr 14, 2010 01:14:27 pm
      Saw the Plessis "tackle". Nasty stuff.
      Thought Cooper has done very well since stepping up and so has Dalla Valle he did score. Unfortunate that it didn't count.
      Amoo has had better games and we missed Spearing and Pacheco. Anyway Mc Mahon is doing a great job and looking forward to seeing Rodolfos on Friday. It should be mentioned that our teams are the youngest in both so its a great job on both accounts.

Is it on LFCTV on friday?
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,611 posts | 3844 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #767: Apr 14, 2010 01:15:56 pm

Think its on at nine o clock. Not 100% but its definitely on Friday

EDIT: Its 7 o clock
      lefty1896
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,700 posts | 23 
      Reply #768: Apr 14, 2010 01:17:32 pm
      Think its on at nine o clock. Not 100% but its definitely on Friday

ok cheers
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #769: Apr 15, 2010 12:10:36 pm
      Is it just me or did the Man United reserve team contain some Man United first team players? I know Ben Foster played!
      lefty1896
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,700 posts | 23 
      Reply #770: Apr 15, 2010 06:01:46 pm
      yeah obertan must be first team. Im pretty sure Possebon and De Laet has played in the first team
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #771: Apr 20, 2010 10:25:12 pm
      Surprised nobody mentioned this. Not good news anyway!

Liverpool 0-1 Everton
      Jose Baxter struck a dramatic injury-time winner as Liverpool Reserves slumped to a 1-0 defeat against Everton the mini-derby at Prenton Park on Tuesday evening.

A tense contest saw little by way of clear cut chances, but the Reds' second-string turned in a battling display against a Blues side that contained several first-team fringe players.

And it was one of those, Baxter, who fired home a volley in injury-time to harshly condemn Liverpool's second-string to a fourth successive defeat.

The result means Liverpool's outside hopes of being crowned Barclays Premier Reserve League North champions are over, but John McMahon will no doubt be pleased by the character shown by his men after suffering three back-to-back losses which derailed their title charge.

Ahead of the game, the second-string boss acknowledged his side's hopes of being crowned Barclays Premier Reserve League North champions had been all-but ended by the disappointing Friday night defeat in Burnley.

That loss at Turf Moore had been described by McMahon as one of his team's worst performances of the season - and the gaffer demanded a response from his team against their Everton counterparts, particularly as it was still mathematically possible for his charges to end the term with the Championship.

His team selection included several promising youngsters such as 17-year-old Czech defender Jakub Sokolik, John Flanagan, Nicolaj Kohlert and Lauri Dalla Valle.

The Blues, meanwhile, selected a powerful starting XI that included the likes of Philippe Senderos, Victor Anichebe and Baxter.

The opening exchanges were typically frenetic and Gerardo Bruna fired an early warning shot, curling wide of Ian Turner's far post from a difficult angle inside the opening two minutes, while at the other end, Baxter drilled over from distance.

However, chances were proving scarce for both sides in a gritty first-half contest, with neither able to enjoy a sustained period of possession.

It was David Martin who was forced to pull off the first save of the evening when the Liverpool goalkeeper got down well to palm Baxter's stinging low free-kick around the base of the post on 27 minutes.

The Blues went closer still moments later as Victor Palsson's misplaced pass allowed Nathan Craig to send Anichebe bearing down on goal. The striker's low shot beat Martin, but lacked power allowing Palsson to make amends by clearing the danger from inside the six-yard box.

Everton quickly regained possession and Craig swung in a cross from the left, which was met by a downward header by James Wallace, but Martin was able to gather.

The Blues were beginning to build up a head of steam and Anichebe steered an effort narrowly wide after plucking Senderos' cross out of the air on 38 minutes to ensure the game remained scoreless at half-time.

Liverpool should have broken the deadlock six minutes after the restart as Alex Kacaniklic's flick played Bruna into space in the left channel of the box, but the former Real Madrid starlet's low drive was repelled by the legs of Ian Turner.

Back came the Blues and only a fine challenge by Palsson prevented Anichebe from getting a clear strike on goal. With Martin out of position having attempted to close down the forward, Craig delivered a cross back into the area, which was nodded wide of the open goal by Baxter.

There was suddenly a much more open feel to proceedings and Bruna cannoned a volley against the legs of Senderos when well positioned as the Reds took their turn to attack.

Amoo then powered past Luke Garbutt on two occasions, but both times his low cross to the near post intended for Dalle Valle was cleared by Everton defenders.

Liverpool were suddenly in the ascendancy and after Bruna's jinking run had fashioned a shooting chance for Kacaniklic, whose effort was blocked, Amoo drilled into the side netting.

Amoo's influence was growing and his powerful surge from the halfway line saw the youngster power a strike narrowly over the bar on 68 minutes.

With eight minutes remaining, the livewire winger caused havoc in the Everton defence once more, and his low centre found Kacaniklic in space, but his strike was blocked brilliantly by the diving Turner.

As time ebbed away, Bruna clipped a free-kick over from a tight angle as the home side pressed in search of a winner, but Everton won it in stoppage-time when Baxter's stinging volley struck the underside of the crossbar and bounced over the line to leave the young Reds heartbroken.

Liverpoolfc.tv man of the match: David Amoo - The winger's powerful bursts forward created the Reds' best openings in the second half.

Liverpool Reserves: David Martin, John Flanagan, Alex Cooper, Jakub Sokolik, Victor Palsson, Steven Irwin, Gerardo Bruna, David Amoo, Lauri Dalla Valle, Nicolaj Kohlert, Alex Kacaniklic.

Subs: Conor Coady, Chris Oldfield, Jordy Brouwer, Thomas Ince, Jack Robinson.

Everton Reserves: Ian Turner, Aristote Nsiala, Luke Garbutt, James Wallace, Philippe Senderos, Shane Duffy, Nathan Craig (Shrodran Mustafi 65) , Hope Akpan, Victor Anichebe (Anton Peterlin 62), Jose Baxter, Adam Forshaw (Conor McAleny 46).

Subs: Adam Davies, Thomas Donegan.
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #772: Apr 20, 2010 10:26:53 pm
      Bloody hell! Forgot about it.

Sad the way we dominated for large parts of the season and let it slip like this.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,611 posts | 3844 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #773: Apr 20, 2010 10:38:55 pm
      Shouldnt have opened this topic. About to watch this now
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,270 posts | 2827 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #774: Apr 20, 2010 10:40:38 pm
      4 of there lads have 1st team experience including a full senior international. We have none. Just saying like
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #775: Apr 20, 2010 10:46:00 pm
      Sounds like the lads did well considering a lot of the Academy players were in the team/squad. 
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,611 posts | 3844 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #776: Apr 20, 2010 11:30:41 pm
      Tell you what copy and paste my comments from the united game and put them in here jd cause if uniteds reserve team was full of failed signings everton is just as guilty. I know they have some quality young players coming through but I do think that our youth system has become one of the more focused at developing young players and once again the boys that stepped up look good tonight. Mavinga away on internationals pacheco likewise. Cooper dalla valle looked good glad to see martin back but no doubt he will be back on loan. Think with pacheco and ngog we would have cleaned up but once again its about developing our youth and their are some quality players emerging.

Bruna should have scored. Everton player feet up on the keeper. Scum. Amoo good runs. Kohlert great chance. Great link up play with Amoo and Dalla Valle. Could easily have won
      « Last Edit: Apr 21, 2010 12:00:25 pm by racerx34 »
      Madscouser
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,814 posts | 67 
      Reply #777: Apr 21, 2010 10:39:20 am
      So where are now reserves league wise ? still got a chance of the title ?
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,611 posts | 3844 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #778: Apr 21, 2010 11:58:30 am
      Title chance effectively over. Too many of the top players gone out on loan...but the important thing is the youth level lads have done themselves proud stepping up and it looks like we now have a focused system in place for youth development at the club
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #779: Apr 21, 2010 12:59:48 pm
      Amoo looks like a really good prospect I'd be hoping to see him at some stage next season in the first team squad.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,611 posts | 3844 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #780: Apr 29, 2010 10:12:16 am
      Liverpool Reserves crashed to their fifth straight defeat as Blackburn Rovers secured a 2-1 triumph at Prenton Park on Tuesday night.

The young Reds produced a determined display in their final home match of the season but were undone by Matty Pearson's 44th minute header after David Amoo had cancelled out Jason Lowe's opener.

It means their hopes of catching second-placed Manchester City are now over while Rovers are just three points behind John McMahon's men with a game in hand.

Ahead of the clash between the Barclays Premier Reserve League North's third and fourth placed teams, the Reds coach had called for his side to finish the campaign in style following a disappointing run of results that effectively ended their title hopes.

It was a rallying cry that seemed to do the trick in the very early stages, with a number of tasty challenges offering examples of the desire and passion McMahon had insisted upon.

However, when the first opportunity of a tight encounter was created it was the away side who manufactured the opening. Aaron Doran's floated cross from the left was met by Rovers no.9 Nick Blackman, who saw his glancing header clip the crossbar and bounce over.

It would be one of many for a visiting side that looked particularly dangerous down the flanks, a threat that bore fruit just two minutes later when Micah Evans danced to the byline before cutting the ball back for Lowe to arrive and coolly slot home a classy opener.

It could have been the signal for a Liverpool side that had lost its previous four matches to drop their heads - but it wasn't the case and just four minutes later they were level.

Alex Cooper crossed low into the area and when the ball broke to Amoo at the far post, he turned his marker and smashed a low effort beyond Jake Kean in the Rovers goal.

The away side responded and Lowe could have had his second of the game on 25 minutes but his drilled shot from the edge of the area was well blocked by a Reds defender after a left-wing corner had only been half-cleared by David Martin's punch.

Doran was looking particularly menacing for the Lancashire outfit and after some more sublime trickery he tested the Reds stopper with a low shot from distance 10 minutes later.

Blackman was then denied by the Liverpool woodwork for a second time and Doran fired wide before Blackburn got the goal their dominance deserved in first-half injury-time.

The ever dangerous Doran flicked the ball into the path of the marauding run of Michael Potts on the left side of the area. The midfielder clipped a cross into the danger area, with Pearson on hand to nod a header into the far corner.

The Reds made a double substitution ahead of the second-half with Jakub Sokolik coming on for the injured Chris Mavinga, while Lauri Dalla Valle replaced Cooper.

It did little to dent the flow of the visitor though, and they could have extended their advantage on 50 minutes but Doran curled wide after exchanging a delightful one-two with Blackman.

Liverpool were finding chances more difficult to come by but they did force a save out of Kean on 55 minutes through Gerardo Bruna's 30 yard free-kick.

At the other end, Doran again went close with a long range effort while Grant Hanley saw a goalbound header blocked by his own teammate, Evans.

With 10 minutes remaining the Reds almost pulled level but Hanley was on hand to hack the ball to safety after Kean had spilled Steven Irwin's low drive from distance.

The hosts continued to probe for a second equaliser but, in truth, the visitors always looked in control and deservedly held on to secure a league double over the Reds.

Liverpool Reserves: Martin, Flanagan, Cooper (Dalla Valle 46), Palsson, Mavinga (Sokolik 46), Irwin, Saric, Amoo, Bruna, Kholert, Kacaniklic. Unused subs: Hansen, Brouwer, Ihiekwe.

Liverpoolfc.tv. Man of the Match: Victor Palsson. A solid showing against a strong Blackburn side./news]
      lefty1896
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,700 posts | 23 
      Reply #781: Apr 29, 2010 10:24:11 am
      Palsson man on the match again, I'll bet he's got a few this season. He's playing well considering he wasn't originally a centre-half.

Quick Reply