Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P27 W14 D8 L5

Alberto Aquilani (Roma)

Read 38095 times
      cezar_sl
      • Forum Billy Liddell
      • Started Topic

• 612 posts |
      Alberto Aquilani (Roma)
      Jul 14, 2009 05:29:57 am
      Liverpool look to Aquilani
      Alberto Aquilani could be Liverpool’s replacement for Xabi Alonso, but Roma won’t part with him for less than £18m.

The Reds are looking at alternatives after Xabi Alonso reportedly requested a transfer to Real Madrid this week.

According to Sky Sport Italia, Rafa Benitez has already sent his men to ask Roma about Aquilani’s availability.

He recently penned a new contract with the club after a long saga in which he received interest from Juventus, Inter and Real Madrid.

However, Coach Luciano Spalletti hinted in his Press conference that it might not be the end of the transfer speculation.

“Having many midfielders, including Aquilani, it is possible we have a few too many players for that role.”

The 25-year-old Italian international has been beset by injuries in the last year, but is back to full fitness and ready for the new campaign.

If Liverpool want to prise the hometown boy from Roma, it will cost them at least £18m.
      http://www.channel4.com/sport/football_italia/jul14a.html

Aquilani vs Real Madrid
      red_kaiser
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,506 posts | 60 
      Re: Alberto Aquilani (Roma)
      Reply #1: Jul 14, 2009 06:19:31 am
      These reports just had to come up after Xabi's suggested transfer request.Aquilani is a decent player but I wouls much rather have De Rossi - a similar world-class CM who can easily replace Xabi.
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #2: Jul 14, 2009 07:01:04 am
      These reports just had to come up after Xabi's suggested transfer request.Aquilani is a decent player but I wouls much rather have De Rossi - a similar world-class CM who can easily replace Xabi.

Yep, much rather De Rossi, or Javi Martinez. "Beset by injuries" is something i dont like hearing either.
      fletch_rox
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,189 posts | 12 
      • JFT96
      Reply #3: Jul 14, 2009 08:46:13 am
      He's brilliant on Fifa :P
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #4: Jul 14, 2009 10:35:06 am
      And on FM.

But a no from me. Rather spend it all on De Rossi. Whether it be 30m from Xabi's transfer or add 10m more to it, i dont care. He'd be F***ing boss in our midfield.
      joe_lfc_4lyf
      • Forum Markus Babbel

• 77 posts | -2 
      • King.
      Reply #5: Jul 14, 2009 01:04:16 pm
      if we were to sell Xabi, this lad would be in my top 5 to replace. along with Iniesta, De Rossi, Javi Martinez and Xavi!
      cezar_sl
      • Forum Billy Liddell
      • Started Topic

• 612 posts |
      Reply #6: Jul 14, 2009 04:12:22 pm
      De Rossi is unrealistic.
      He's their Cara...
      And so is Iniesta and Xavi.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #7: Jul 14, 2009 09:43:02 pm
      De Rossi is unrealistic.
      He's their Cara...
      And so is Iniesta and Xavi.

Taking that is basically correct and Italians do not seem to travel too well, I'd opt for Martinez out of your list but Rafa will make the decisions on possible transfer targets and not me or the Media, but if it is a realistic transfer target i just hope he does not turn into another Dossena.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #8: Jul 16, 2009 10:41:11 am
      And on FM.

But a no from me. Rather spend it all on De Rossi. Whether it be 30m from Xabi's transfer or add 10m more to it, I dont care. He'd be f**king boss in our midfield.

Couldn't agree more. However, if we are not able to get De Rossi then Aquilani is somebody we should definitely be looking at. I know it is only speculation but supposedly an assistant of Rafa's is in Rome for showdown talks over a £15m deal.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #9: Jul 16, 2009 11:13:57 am
      Couldn't agree more. However, if we are not able to get De Rossi then Aquilani is somebody we should definitely be looking at. I know it is only speculation but supposedly an assistant of Rafa's is in Rome for showdown talks over a £15m deal.

Where'd you hear that mate?
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #10: Jul 16, 2009 04:03:33 pm
      It's just been rubbished by his agent on Sky Sports.
      cezar_sl
      • Forum Billy Liddell
      • Started Topic

• 612 posts |
      Reply #11: Jul 16, 2009 04:50:28 pm
      Alberto Aquilani's agent has rubbished reports that Liverpool are weighing up a bid for the Roma midfielder.

There have been rumours suggesting that Rafa Benitez has identified the 25-year-old Italy international as an ideal signing should Xabi Alonso leave for Real Madrid.

However, the player's agent, Franco Zavaglia, insists there is absolutely no truth in those suggestions and says Aquilani is simply focusing on recovering from the ankle injury that left him sidelined for much of last season.

"Alberto to Liverpool? Don't talk nonsense," he told Romagiallorossa.com.

"There's no need to even speak about it because there is nothing real there.

"The player just extended his contract and is working towards recovery and giving his best for Roma."

Aquilani is under contract until 2013 and boss Luciano Spalletti this week tipped the player to recover his best form next season.

But you never know what might happen.
      StevieG-force
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,526 posts | 12 
      • Name:Richard-Age:21-Nationality:Welsh
      Reply #12: Jul 16, 2009 04:51:47 pm
      Agents are so gay.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #13: Jul 16, 2009 05:09:21 pm
      Looks true though. He did just sign a contract, however an agent saying no to a transfer? Wierd.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #14: Jul 16, 2009 05:17:10 pm

Some random article that i had found but looks as though his agent has rejected these claims. Roma have said that they have 1 too many midfielders and need to cash in. Why would he stay at Roma when Liverpool are banging on the door for him. Baffles me but his loss if he doesn't join.
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #15: Jul 17, 2009 04:08:39 pm
      Just saw whilst playing on Fifa before that Roma have come out and said they are willing to listen to any offers for Aquilani, can someone confirm this?
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #16: Jul 17, 2009 04:12:50 pm

La Gazzetta Dello Sport : claims that a delegation from Liverpool has arrived in Rome this morning to offer around €16m for the services of Alberto Aquilani.

The highly rated Italian playmaker is a potential replacement for Xabi Alonso, who seems intent on a switch to Real Madrid.
      paulrobbo
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,875 posts | 106 
      • We are the Mods!
      Reply #17: Jul 17, 2009 04:13:39 pm
      Just saw whilst playing on Fifa before that Roma have come out and said they are willing to listen to any offers for Aquilani, can someone confirm this?

Roma - Aquilani could be sold
      Italian outfit prepared to listen to offers for midfielder

By Chris Burton   Last updated: 17th July 2009

Aquilani: Open to offers

Serie A giants Roma have admitted that they would be willing to discuss the sale of Alberto Aquilani.

The Italy international is reported to be a target for Liverpool, while Arsenal have expressed an interest in the creative midfielder in the past.

A move to Anfield has been touted in the wake of Real Madrid's continued interest in Xabi Alonso, with Aquiliani seen as an ideal replacement should the Spaniard head home.

Roma have previously maintained that they would be unwilling to part with the talented 25-year-old, but boss Luciano Spalletti has revealed that stance could be about to change.

"We need to be open and listen to any type of offers that are proposed to us," he said.

"We are not worried, we know what we need to do.

"There will probably be two or three transfer market deals done and I am convinced we will be able to work well."

Aquilani is under contract with Roma until 2013 and despite Spalletti's admission, club director Bruno Conti insists no approach has been received as yet.

"The situation as it is right now is that Aquilani will remain until there is a team that makes an offer," Conti said to Mediaset.

"Once this happens then we will see."
      http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11669_5438006,00.html

Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #18: Jul 17, 2009 06:50:29 pm
      Cheers paulrobbo.

So that's basically saying that Roma are willing to listen if we are prepared to bid for him?
      StevieG123

• 9,716 posts | 65 
      Reply #19: Jul 17, 2009 07:50:32 pm
      Yeah pretty much. IF Alonso does go, we will hopefully be ready to replace him and build on our squad.
      carragerrard
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,584 posts | 94 
      Reply #20: Jul 18, 2009 10:20:40 am
      Aquilani 'sacrificed' to Liverpool Saturday 18 July, 2009

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Alberto Aquilani looks set to be the sacrificial lamb in Roma’s transfer campaign, as talks continue with Liverpool over a £22m move.

Earlier this month Coach Luciano Spalletti confirmed his club needed to sell someone – preferably from midfield, where there is an abundance of players – to raise money for the transfer kitty.

Despite penning a new contract in June, Aquilani is set to be that figure, as he would receive the most money on the market.

Liverpool have made an offer of £18m, but the Giallorossi are holding out for £22m and negotiations are set to continue.

Rafa Benitez has picked the Italian as the ideal replacement for Xabi Alonso should the £30m sale to Real Madrid go through.

“We will certainly evaluate any firm offers that come in for Aquilani and consider them carefully,” added Spalletti from Roma’s pre-season training camp.

Aquilani is considered one of the talents on the Italy scene, but has been plagued by injuries and is still recovering from ankle surgery.

http://www.channel4.com/sport/football_italia/jul18g.html
      cufta0705
      • On Trial

• 3 posts |
      Reply #21: Jul 18, 2009 12:00:29 pm
      I think that Alberto Aquilani is a very similar player to a Gerrard. De Rossi would be a better pick.

In Croatia newspaper wrote that Xabi is going in Real Madrid for €32m & that David Silva is going in LFC for €18m. Don't know who to believe.

I still hope that Xabi will stay with us!
      « Last Edit: Jul 18, 2009 12:03:13 pm by Reslivo, Reason: Please don\'t post in red, and remember to use grammar & punctuation. »
      StevieG123

• 9,716 posts | 65 
      Reply #22: Jul 18, 2009 01:18:30 pm
      It's looking that way cufta, Xabi out, Sneijder possibly part of the deal? + 22 or so mill in. Silva in 18-20 mill. Aquilani in 18-22 mill. I doubt we will get all if any of the players but that is what the speculation is summarizing that we will get hopefully.

Quick Reply