Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Robbie Fowler's Thaime in Australia Over

Read 33988 times
      Dmasta
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,895 posts | 553 
      Re: The Fury of Robbie Fowler
      Reply #23: Jul 16, 2009 01:11:07 am
      Would have been awesome to be there shame that Perth Glory got thumped 5-0 though.
      Paul LFC
      • Forum John Toshack

• 260 posts | -1 
      Reply #24: Jul 16, 2009 04:49:22 am
      Well done Robbie on scoring against wolves I hope the rest of your time in Australia is sucessful
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #25: Jul 17, 2009 05:41:44 am
      Im an Aussie Red that just recently moved to the US, shattered i aint able to see a true legend play in my home league, thought id never see the day.
      Just wish he could have played for my home team, the Reds of Australia ;D

Would look alot better in that kit i think!

AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #26: Jul 17, 2009 07:46:11 am
      Robbie Fowler scores on debut for North Queensland Fury
      By Justin Chadwick
      July 15, 2009 Former Liverpool star Robbie Fowler made a dream start to his North Queensland career with a goal on debut in the Fury's 2-1 loss to Wolverhampton Wanderers in Perth.

After a nightmare pre-season campaign, during which he was dogged by hip and groin complaints, Fowler relished the chance to finally get some game time after coming on as a 55th-minute substitute on Wednesday night.

The Fury were already 1-0 down following a gift goal to Wolves striker Andy Keogh in the second minute but the introduction of Fowler, James Robinson and young Australia striker David Williams sparked some life into the A-League's newcomers.

Fowler's first real touch was a speculative strike from 40 yards out that sailed well wide of the target but the Liverpool legend wasted little time in asserting his dominance on the match, with a neat touch in the 61st minute setting up Chris Grossman for a golden chance.

Grossman failed to nail the goal but Fowler soon had the teams on level pegging when he calmly slotted a 67th-minute penalty after Jeremy Brockie was brought down in the box by Wolves defender Jody Craddock.

Fowler displayed no nerves from the spot as he sent the 'keeper the wrong way but Wolves regained their advantage six minutes later when Craddock's header snuck through the Fury's defence.

Fowler was sprightly in his second-half cameo but also showed signs of rustiness, no doubt a result of his limited pre-season campaign.

"It's always nice scoring goals but as everyone knows pre-season games are about getting fit," Fowler said after the match.

"In terms of fitness I'm probably behind the rest of the lads but the injury's fine.

"Obviously there's been various reports that were saying I wouldn't play again this season so that will shut a few people up.

"I'm experienced enough to know you go through your career that people do get injuries, I'm not the first and I won't be the last.

"Thankfully I'm on the pitch now and I can see that light."

Although North Queensland struggled in the second half, with Wolves creating numerous opportunities, the Fury more than held their own in the first 45 minutes.

North Queensland almost went ahead after just 10 seconds when Wolves 'keeper Carl Ikeme's attempted clearance rebounded off Fury striker Daniel McBreen and rolled just 50cm wide of goal.

But it was a mistake at the other end by Fury 'keeper Paul Henderson that gifted Wolves a goal after just two minutes.

Henderson fumbled what should have been an elementary take following a cross from Greg Halford and striker Andy Keogh was on hand to tap in the easiest of goals.

Keogh, who starred against the Glory in Wolves' 1-0 win on Friday night, almost added a second eight minutes later when a long throw from Halford caught Fury's defence off guard.

A neat flick-on from George Friend found Keogh unmarked in the box but the fleet-footed striker scuffed his shot to Henderson's relief.

The game lifted a notch in the 12th minute when Christophe Berra unleashed a crude tackle on Robbie Middleby, but the mini push and shove between the two players seemed to only inspire North Queensland.

Middleby almost levelled the scores in the 14th minute when he latched on to a neat head down from Jason Spagnuolo and raced into the box, only for Ikeme to charge off his line to block the goalward-bound strike.

North Queensland had well and truly settled after their nervous start and, buoyed by Fowler's 55th-minute introduction, pegged one back on their Barclays Premier League opponents before Wolves settled to take the spoils.

AAP

Click on link for video of Robbie in after match press conference (give it 10 secs and the video comes on)

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,25788218-5000940,00.html

chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,018 posts | 2741 
      Reply #27: Jul 17, 2009 07:59:43 am
      He's still got it.
      MsGerrard
      Reply #28: Jul 17, 2009 05:30:42 pm

Really good players never lose it though do they?
      bri1970
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 651 posts |
      Reply #29: Jul 18, 2009 06:56:21 pm
      Robbie will score goals anywhere, good luck Robbie
      « Last Edit: Aug 07, 2009 08:35:20 pm by bri1970 »
      Dmasta
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,895 posts | 553 
      Reply #30: Aug 07, 2009 05:16:59 pm
      Fowler and Middleby to lead Fury

North Queensland Fury Head Coach Ian Ferguson has handed Marquee player Robbie Fowler the responsibility of leading the team during the Hyundai A-League 2009/10 Season and has called on defender Robbie Middleby to back him up.

“It was a very tough decision because there are so many players in this team that show leadership qualities,” Ferguson said.

“Fowler and Middleby really stand out the way the other boys relate to them on and off the pitch – that’s important.”

“There were a number of players who were in my thoughts but I had a chat to Robbie and asked him about the captaincy and I was pleased with what he thought he could offer above being the Fury’s Marquee player.”

“Robbie Middleby was another who I’ve thought about as captain or vice-captain from the start and he’s also given me a commitment to be the one the players can go to with anything they need to discuss.”

Fowler said he was surprised and honoured.

“It wasn’t something I came here expecting to have but it’s a great honour,” Fowler said

“Brand new team, brand new manager so to be named as a captain is a great honour and a great achievement.

“I’ve played football for a living for a long time now and it’s something I love doing and as far as I’m concerned there’s no pressure on me or any of our players we’re here to enjoy the football and do as well as we can.”

“I can be vocal in the dressing shed and anything I can give to the younger players or even the more experienced players I will.”

Middleby said being given the club vice-captain’s role was a career highlight.

“It’s absolute honour especially with the group of players we’ve got here,” Middleby said.

“The club’s got a massive future and to be a part of it in the first year and to be in a leadership role is something I’ll look back on and really think of as a career highlight.”

“Newcastle was my home town and I was captain when I played there but we’ve adopted Townsvile as our home - I love living here and it feels like being a home town captain again.”

http://www.northqueenslandfc.com.au/default.aspx?s=newsdisplay&id=28583

Captain Robbie eh, lets hope he's gets some silverware come the end of season (if not him then Perth Glory).
      redsonfire
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,660 posts | 111 
      • 96 Candles Burn Bright
      Reply #31: Aug 07, 2009 05:28:18 pm
      Well done Robbie.

Hopefully this would be a stepping stone to a very successful end of your career Down Under.
      Gow
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,531 posts | 282 
      Reply #32: Aug 07, 2009 05:34:57 pm
      Living the dream!
      Dmasta
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,895 posts | 553 
      Reply #33: Aug 07, 2009 05:35:11 pm
      He's making his league debut tomorrow (well today technically) I'll keep this thread updated on how he's going throughout the season.
      bri1970
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 651 posts |
      Reply #34: Aug 07, 2009 08:38:56 pm
      Good luck Robbie, lets hope he gets a winning start to his career there and gets on the score sheet.
      Dmasta
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,895 posts | 553 
      Reply #35: Aug 08, 2009 11:41:59 am
      Robbie Fowler scores but North Queensland Fury lose 3-2 to Sydney FC

MARQUEE signing Robbie Fowler found the back of the net but his North Queensland Fury side wound up 3-2 losers to Sydney FC in their A-League debut.

The Fury's first taste of A-League football looked set to be a memorable one with the home side fighting back from a 2-0 deficit with captain Fowler scoring his first league goal in the fight back.

But a spot kick from ex-Socceroos striker John Aloisi, who had earlier opened the scoring, helped the Sydneysiders kick off their 2009-10 A-League campaign with a win.

Aloisi opened the scoring in the third minute from a counter attack before a stunning individual effort from young gun Danning, where he mesmerised the Fury defence before hitting a superb strike, had Sydney two up.

The Fury finally gave the crowd of 8897 something to cheer about when Rostyn Griffiths made history by scoring the expansion club's first ever goal in the 40th minute, heading in a Jason Spagnuolo corner.

North Queensland came out full of fire in the opening stages of the second half, controlling possession and mounting pressure on the Sydney defence, which finally told when Shannon Cole brought down Spagnuolo in the box.

Fowler stepped up for the penalty and levelled the scores 2-2 to mark his arrival in the North.

But Sydney forward Aloisi bagged his second goal in the 72nd minute to take back the lead, calmly potting a spot kick of his own after Alex Brosque was brought down by Fury keeper Paul Henderson

http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/story/0,23739,25901767-5003412,00.html

Unlucky Robbie at least he got on the scoresheet though.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #36: Aug 08, 2009 11:48:07 am
      He just toyed with the goalkeeper on that penalty. Unfortunately, Aloisi got his second to clinch it.
      Dmasta
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,895 posts | 553 
      Reply #37: Aug 08, 2009 11:51:05 am
      I might check on youtube later to see that penalty then.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #38: Aug 08, 2009 04:16:08 pm
      His move to Oz is really working out. Skipper already and getting on the score sheet.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #39: Aug 08, 2009 05:01:16 pm
      Here's the goals from the Fury's game today, including Fowler's pen

http://www.101greatgoals.com/videodisplay/3147690/
      Dmasta
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,895 posts | 553 
      Reply #40: Aug 08, 2009 05:09:16 pm
      Well taken penalty.

sh*t crowd though.
      bri1970
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 651 posts |
      Reply #41: Aug 08, 2009 08:45:57 pm
      Nice to see him score,  pity about the result.
      Look's  like he is enjoying it there though.
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,874 posts | 805 
      • Formerly known as Vtorres, Vsuarez, and Vsterling.
      Reply #42: Aug 09, 2009 03:06:55 am
      Go on Fowler ! Keep scoring this move has worked out great for him.
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Reply #43: Aug 09, 2009 07:51:33 am
      He seems on good form.

New back up striker, anyone? ;)
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #44: Aug 09, 2009 08:02:48 am
      He seems on good form.

New back up striker, anyone? ;)

Just leave him in the box and let the rest do the work.
      Dadorious
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #45: Aug 09, 2009 10:48:55 am
      He looked pretty good a wee overweight, but sharp still.

Penalty was class I actually thought he was going to do what Bolton tried to predict he would do a lil cheeky chip penalty down the middle of the goals. Would have looked silly if he caught it.

Quick Reply