Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 27th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W13 D5 L11

Robbie Fowler's Thaime in Australia Over

Read 34191 times
      Gow
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,531 posts | 282 
      Re: The Fury of Robbie Fowler
      Reply #46: Aug 09, 2009 01:44:44 pm
      Thanks HR, some good goals there. Nice pen from Robbie.

He'll be back home in a fortnight saying 'it was too f***in hot - it was like being in a foreign country' (just like his Dad said all them years ago ;))
      fletch_rox
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,189 posts | 12 
      • JFT96
      Reply #47: Aug 10, 2009 08:06:27 am
      He looked good did Robbie, almost scored a very nice free kick but the keeper saved and Sydney ran down the other end to score on the counter.
      Anyone in Aus know the fixtures? I want to go to the Victory Fury game in Melbourne
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #48: Aug 10, 2009 09:31:56 am
      I saw the Robbie Fowler penalty on the television and he totally conned the keeper.Well done Robbie it was good to see you again.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,751 posts | 6722 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #49: Aug 10, 2009 11:46:26 am
      He looked good did Robbie, almost scored a very nice free kick but the keeper saved and Sydney ran down the other end to score on the counter.
      Anyone in Aus know the fixtures? I want to go to the Victory Fury game in Melbourne

Mate, got to wait till the New Year.

Round 26 - Friday 5 February, N. Queensland Fury - 8:00PM @ Etihad Stadium
      Dmasta
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,895 posts | 553 
      Reply #50: Aug 10, 2009 12:03:49 pm
      October 3 over here apparently.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,751 posts | 6722 
      Reply #51: Aug 10, 2009 12:08:36 pm
      You're in Perth aren't ya mate ?  ::)
      Dmasta
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,895 posts | 553 
      Reply #52: Aug 10, 2009 12:11:21 pm
      You're in Perth aren't ya mate ?  ::)
      Yeah, am I looking at the wrong date?
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,751 posts | 6722 
      Reply #53: Aug 10, 2009 12:14:19 pm
      Yeah, am I looking at the wrong date?

You had the right date, just the wrong Queensland team  :lmao:

EDIT: You being from Perth, wouldn't you follow Perth Glory? If that's the case then I've just been looking at Melbourne's fixture list, sorry.  :-[
      Dmasta
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,895 posts | 553 
      Reply #54: Aug 10, 2009 12:17:58 pm
      You had the right date, just the wrong Queensland team  :lmao:

Are you sure? I've looked on 3 different sites and the all say Perth Glory v North Queensland Fury Sat Oct 3 Members Equity Stadium.

Edit: That would explain it then.

Edit again: Wasn't Queensland Roar renamed Brisbane Roar? because the fixtures I looked at didn't rename them which would make it rather confusing.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,751 posts | 6722 
      Reply #55: Aug 10, 2009 12:21:20 pm
      Are you sure? I've looked on 3 different sites and the all say Perth Glory v North Queensland Fury Sat Oct 3 Members Equity Stadium.

Read my edit above.
      fletch_rox
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,189 posts | 12 
      • JFT96
      Reply #56: Aug 15, 2009 03:26:34 am
      ^Your kidding. Oh well, I will have to wait a while then.
      I'm defo going to be seeing more A-League games this year, its relatively cheap.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #57: Aug 15, 2009 06:49:15 am
      ^Your kidding. Oh well, I will have to wait a while then.
      I'm defo going to be seeing more A-League games this year, its relatively cheap.

For a reason! I'm just going to go watch Fury v Sydney for Robbie.
      Dmasta
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,895 posts | 553 
      Reply #58: Aug 15, 2009 12:22:17 pm
      North Queensland Fury FC v Gold Coast United.

North Queensland Fury have been beaten 5-0 by a goal hungry Gold Coast United at Skilled Park in Round 2 of theHyundai A-League 2009/10 Season.

Shane Smeltz had four for the home team and Taj Minniecon banged in one in the horror road trip for the Fury.

The Fury struggled to contain United in the first half and was lucky not to be down by more.

The visitors had a chance to open their account when Jason Spagnuolo found himself in space with a clear shot from in front in the fourth minute.

The shot sailed over the top and from there North Queensland looked frustrated.

The Gold Coast had swag of chances in the first half, starting with Joel Porter’s break down the right side.

Minutes later Gold Coast captain Jason Culina was brought down just outside the box when Robbie Middleby put in a solid challenge.

Robbie Fowler took a hit for the team in blocking the shot to also take the momentum away from the home side.

North Queensland failed to keep a consistent defensive shape and the Gold Coast kept coming at them through Porter and his partner up front Shane Smeltz.

A poor cross field pass from John Tambouras in the 29th minute found Culina in open space and Smeltz with an open box and just Fury keeper Paul Henderson to beat.

Smeltz calmly slotted the ball into the right left corner of the box to give United a 1-nil lead.

The Kiwi international had a chance of a second goal in the closing minute of the first half but had the header turned round the corner by Henderson.

Smeltz put his second in the back of the net nine minutes into the half after defender Kojiro Kaimaoto failed to chase and left the Gold Coast striker free with only Henderson to beat.

Beau Busch brought Smeltz down in the box and sent him to the penalty spot.

Henderson got a hand on the ball but couldn't stop it from rippling the net to have the visitors down 2-0.

Karl Dodd and Rostyn Griffiths both picked up yellow cards in the early stages of the second half but the heavy challenges didn't take any of the enthusiams away from the Gold Coast.

Smeltz scored his third in the 62nd minute and then his fourth in the 63rd to crush North Queensland's spirit.

North Queensland had chances to hit back in the closing 20 minutes through Rostyn Griffiths and David Williams but couldn't find the goal.

Taj Minniecon was handed a gift when the Fury failed to clear the bal and Smeltz put the ball in front of him.

Paul Kohler picked up the Fury's third yellow card of the night in the last five minutes of regular time as the Gold Coast seemed to pick holes in the Fury's defence at will.

The score could have been 6-0 had Culina not missed a sitter in the 88th minute.

http://www.northqueenslandfc.com.au/default.aspx?s=newsdisplay&id=28739

Bad day at the office for Robbie and North Queensland Fury.
      bri1970
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 651 posts |
      Reply #59: Aug 15, 2009 02:49:50 pm
      Not good news that, hopefully get better result next match
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #60: Aug 15, 2009 04:39:58 pm
      Shane Smeltz is too good for this league - he should be playing somewhere else in Asia. Helped my fantasy team though :)
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #61: Aug 15, 2009 04:41:02 pm
      Slightly off topic but I read Fowlers book whilst on holiday, pretty good - although not as good as Gerrard and Carra's.
      number7
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 803 posts |
      Reply #62: Aug 15, 2009 11:04:59 pm
      Shane Smeltz is too good for this league - he should be playing somewhere else in Asia. Helped my fantasy team though :)

No worries, he will be bought by the Japanese pretty soon :D

On the loss, I feel sorry for Robbie. Obviously I want him to do well, firstly because he's Robbie and secondly because Fury is my mate's team.

Melbourne is not doing that well early in the season. 1 point from 2 games, beaten by CCM at home, Ernie Merrick seems to be (always) having a hard time against Lawrie McKinna.
      Dmasta
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,895 posts | 553 
      Reply #63: Aug 23, 2009 08:27:36 am
      Victory open account

Melbourne Victory has ground out a 1-0 win over a vastly-improved North Queensland Fury in Townsville on Saturday night.

The Victory's Archie Thompson slotted his first goal of the season in the final moments of the first half after a pin-point long ball from Adrian Leijer.

The homeside's Dyron Daal had a chance to level up the scores in the 89th minute when he was left one-on-one with the goalkeeper but was denied.

It was a telling moment in the game as the Fury looked the better of the two for most of the night, creating multiple opportunities but it was the Victory who had the polish and pounced when given the chance.

Robbie Middleby received a sickening accidental kick in the face from a teammate less than a minute later and was forced to miss the remainder of the game.

North Queensland coach Ian Ferguson was happy with his side’s improvement but disappointed with another loss which leaves them winless after three rounds.

"I thought we done enough to try and get something of the game," he said.

"A draw would have been a better result."

"I have always said I would like us to be competitive and I thought tonight we were."

"I felt the boys for about 77 minutes did really well in the game, you are never going to dominate for the 90 minutes."

"The most important things for us is that I can work with the nucleus of this team that we had today and we can work with the cohesion to get the balance right."

"But I hate siting here saying there are a lot of positives in the game but no three points."

Melbourne coach Ernie Merrick said he was pleased to walk away with three points after a struggling start.

"We didn't play good football the first half hour, we couldn’t string a pass together," he said.

"A credit to the North Queensland Fury, they really closed us down and a lot of time in our own half."

"It was one of those you had to grind out."

"You have a game like this you have to grind it out and have to keep a clean sheet."

North Queensland threw plenty of players forward early but could not capitalise on early opportunities.

Shane Stefanutto pulled the trigger in the first minute from left of the goal box only to be denied by a diving save.

The homeside wasted four corners with poor crosses and an inability to keep the ball in the box.

Robbie Fowler had a free kick from 18 yards in front after a handball by Leigh Broxham but could not turn it into points.

Melbourne struggled to find momentum in the face of physical defence which allowed limited space and time in attack.

Tom Pondeljak slithered through the midfield with a dribble but his pass to the striker was cut off.

Leijer then drove the ball long to the floating Thompson for him to slot the 44th-minute goal.

The visitors continued to attack in the dying seconds despite cries to stop the game when Middleby was hit with a boot in his face.

Middleby laid face-first in the turf while receiving medical treatment long after the two sides went up the tunnel.

North Queensland continued to enjoy the bulk of the possession after the break.

David Williams had a crack but his shot was diverted off the legs of a defender.

He would challenge later in the game with a stunning run that began from inside his own 18-yard box.

Rostyn Griffiths had a golden chance on the back of a long ball from Daniel McBreen but despite having time to take the ball on his chest and slot it pass the goal keeper he went with a wayward header.

Melbourne started to find their groove with several through balls finding their target.

Thompson was gearing up to knock in his second until a last ditch sliding tackle from John Tambouras dislodged the ball.

Thompson continued to threaten and found himself one-on-one with the goalkeeper Paul Henderson but was denied.

Daal used his large frame to barge past defenders but wasted the opportunity by firing the shot straight into the goalkeeper.

North Queensland Fury 0
      Melbourne Victory 1 (Thompson 44)
      Crowd 6,514 at Dairy Farmers Stadium

http://sportal.com.au/football-news-display/victory-open-account-76400

Still yet to receive their first points little own a win and the crowd numbers are still sh*t.
      JayP
      • Forum David Johnson

• 244 posts |
      • It's Rush!
      Reply #64: Aug 23, 2009 08:32:55 pm
      somebody should rename this "The A-League thread"
      Dmasta
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,895 posts | 553 
      Reply #65: Aug 23, 2009 08:35:09 pm
      somebody should rename this "The A-League thread"
      Why? The thread is about Robbie Fowler the only thing A-League related in here is to do with Robbie and his side.
      Gow
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,531 posts | 282 
      Reply #66: Aug 23, 2009 09:14:53 pm
      I'd have Robbie in our squad now.
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #67: Aug 23, 2009 09:18:00 pm
      Would still be better than the ponytail.
      Eem
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,018 posts | 89 
      Reply #68: Aug 26, 2009 09:30:55 am
      I'd have Robbie in our squad now.

Seconded. Wouldn't mind being back up at the club he loves, and is still a quality player.

Quick Reply