Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 26th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W15 D7 L2

Peter Crouch may be off to Sunderland

Read 7829 times
      solodee
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish
      • Started Topic

• 6,035 posts | 147 
      • Liverpool FC All The Way
      Peter Crouch may be off to Sunderland
      Jul 15, 2009 10:47:54 am
      Sunderland have £12million bid for Peter Crouch accepted by Portsmouth

By SPORTSMAIL REPORTER
      Last updated at 9:58 AM on 15th July 2009

Sunderland have had a £12 million bid accepted for Portsmouth striker Peter Crouch.
      Manager Steve Bruce is now hoping to meet the England centre forward and persuade him to move to the North East.

Crouch would prefer a move to Fulham if he is to be sold, but the London club may not be able to match the bid or pay his wages.
      Sunderland owner Ellis Short is prepared to meet Crouch's £70,000-a-week demands, making the 28-year-old the highest paid player in Sunderland's history - and that could prove decisive.

Bruce is also competing with Arsenal for Marouane Chamakh of Bordeaux.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1199780/Sunderland-12million-bid-Peter-Crouch-accepted-Portsmouth.html#ixzz0LJroILOW&D

Sunderland(?) How low can you go? He left Liverpool FC and joined Portsmouth; and now Portsmouth has accepted an offer from Sunderland. Sunderland buying wisely though; They're in the race for Darren Bent, Cattermole and now Crouch. Interesting.
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Re: Peter Crouch may be off to Sunderland
      Reply #1: Jul 15, 2009 11:21:04 am
      Poor old Crouchy, he deserves better than Sunderland IMO.

I'm a bit surprised a slightly bigger club didn't go for him, though I wonder if the rather high transfer fee and wages might have put some off?
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,253 posts | 2855 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #2: Jul 15, 2009 11:27:50 am
      Sunderland FFS, The BS would be better than Sunderland. Said it before, I'd like him back. The problem is that he is English, if he was Spanish or Russian I guess City or the Chaves would have gone for him.
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #3: Jul 15, 2009 11:36:21 am
      I reckon Villa should go for Crouch.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,004 posts | 3952 
      Reply #4: Jul 16, 2009 09:39:59 am
      Poor old Crouchy, he deserves better than Sunderland IMO.

I'm a bit surprised a slightly bigger club didn't go for him, though I wonder if the rather high transfer fee and wages might have put some off?
      The sympathy is a bit misplaced Ayrton when you think about the dosh he's pocketed with the transfers but I supppose that's just a view from the mere mortal perspective as a professional athlete he must regard it as a step in the wrong direction
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #5: Jul 16, 2009 10:01:54 am
      TBH i think he's better of at Sunderland than Porstmouth. The black cats have ambition and they're moving in the right direction.

Still, he's better than that. I think West Ham would be great for him.
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Reply #6: Jul 16, 2009 10:53:20 am
      The sympathy is a bit misplaced Ayrton when you think about the dosh he's pocketed with the transfers

:D

I did indeed mean from a footballing perspective. ;)
      redsonfire

• 5,660 posts | 111 
      • 96 Candles Burn Bright
      Reply #7: Jul 16, 2009 10:55:59 am
      Whatever team he is moving to, Good luck Crouchie, I'm sure you'll do well there! :)
      scottish lfc fan
      • Forum John Toshack

• 271 posts | -4 
      Reply #8: Jul 16, 2009 01:03:48 pm
      Good i going to Hearts V Sunderland in Edinburgh in few weeks hope the bigman sings in time
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,227 posts | 2806 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #9: Jul 16, 2009 01:07:03 pm
      City will buy him for 30 million and pay him 400 grand a week. Watch!  :f_whistle:
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #10: Jul 16, 2009 01:09:49 pm
      I dont think he would fit into another top 4 team again. Villa or Tottenham would be tops for him but Sunderland is not a bad destination for him as was said above they have some decent players and look ambitious.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #11: Jul 16, 2009 03:00:28 pm
      He'd be a good buy for Arsenal now they are looking to shift Adebayor on, surely Wenger must have remembered Crouchie destroying them with the perfect Hatrick,  In all fairness though where ever Crouchie goes best of luck to the lad....
      redsonfire

• 5,660 posts | 111 
      • 96 Candles Burn Bright
      Reply #12: Jul 16, 2009 03:27:08 pm
      There is a possibilty of him moving to Sunderland who have been showing real ambition and that is a good sign. Even their owner is willing to play Crouch 70k per week, just shows their ambition to consolidate their position in a mid table team, and then maybe a team with European ambitions.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #13: Jul 16, 2009 03:31:09 pm
      I live right next to Sunderland, Crouchie if you want  my advice fella steer clear, its such a sh*t hole that even the rats wear Overalls. ;)
      Ov3rdose
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,961 posts | 17 
      Reply #14: Jul 18, 2009 04:19:34 pm
      Tottenham boss Harry Redknapp has confirmed he is interested in signing Portsmouth striker Peter Crouch.

The England international is expected to leave Fratton Park this summer, with Sunderland and Fulham both eager to secure his services.

Crouch has held talks with Black Cats boss Steve Bruce over a possible switch to Wearside, but Redknapp is now considering a bid for the giant forward.

The former Pompey boss sold Crouch in the early days of first stint on the South Coast, before signing him while at the helm of local Southampton and then bringing him back to Fratton Park from Liverpool in a £9million deal last summer.

"I like Peter. I've signed him several times and he's a top player," Redknapp told Sky Sports News.
      Offers

"He's a player that we could be interested in, but we'll have to wait and see.

"Portsmouth obviously want to sell him now, they've accepted offers for him, so if they want to sell him, we'd be interested."

And Spurs striker Jermain Defoe, who played alongside Crouch for Portsmouth, would welcome the opportunity to renew their partnership.

He said, "I spoke to 'Crouchy' over the summer, while we were on England duty. I've played with him for several years, at Under 21 and now senior level.

"It's down to Crouchy, obviously he's going to go where he's going to play.

"If he wants to come here it's only going to help the team."

I doubt that he would get a lot of playing time at Spurs, but I think that he should go. Crouchy deserves to play in a bigger team than Portsmouth.
      Paul LFC
      • Forum John Toshack

• 260 posts | -1 
      Reply #15: Jul 18, 2009 06:04:55 pm
      Good luch crouchie where ever you go
      bri1970
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 651 posts |
      Reply #16: Jul 18, 2009 07:14:52 pm
      Crouchie deserves better than Sunderland, if he gets the chance he would be better going to Spurs but good luck wherever you go.
      xxLiverPrinc3ssxx
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,018 posts | 62 
      • *****YNWA*****
      Reply #17: Jul 18, 2009 10:02:36 pm
      Surely Portsmouth is a better option than Sunderland? But anyways, best of luck to him wherever he decides to go.
      Eem

• 6,018 posts | 89 
      Reply #18: Jul 19, 2009 08:50:58 am
      He is a top 4 standard player, IMO. He'd be a good fit at Arsenal. I'd definitely take him back.

Good luck, wherever you go, Crouchy, but you are better than Sunderland standard.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,176 posts | 8551 
      Reply #19: Jul 21, 2009 12:26:23 pm
      Not anymore, seems talks have broken down.

Also reported that Crouchy wanted £90,000 a week.

Ouch!
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #20: Jul 21, 2009 12:26:53 pm
      Not anymore, seems talks have broken down.

Also reported that Crouchy wanted £90,000 a week.

Ouch!

What!

How ridiculous.
      Witto
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,621 posts | 15 
      • Dooo Dooo Dooo Dooo Dooo Dooo Luis Suarez.
      Reply #21: Jul 21, 2009 12:32:23 pm
      Its an extra 40,000 a week because of his skateboarding skills ...

7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #22: Jul 21, 2009 10:58:48 pm
      Was on SSN earlier Sunderland have pulled out of the deal.

Bruce Gives Up On Crouch

Steve Bruce has given up hope of signing Portsmouth's Peter Crouch despite the striker agreeing personal terms last week.

The Sunderland boss had been keen to sign the 28-year-old for a reported £12million with the player seemingly disillusioned with life on the South Coast.

Contrary to reports that stated talks had broken down due to the England international's excessive wage demands, Crouch actually agreed personal terms with the Wearside club.

However the former Liverpool man changed his mind, citing that he would prefer to remain in the South, with a move to either Tottenham or Fulham now on the cards.

"Naturally this is hugely disappointing for us as Peter was one of our primary targets," Bruce told the Black Cats' official website.

"I know he was impressed with the set up here when he came for talks, but it's simply a matter of geographical location and that's not something we can affect."

Other targets

Despite the snub Bruce remained upbeat and stated that the club would now turn to other options.

"What's pleasing however is that it shows the intent of the club going forward that we are trying to bring in players of his calibre, and we will continue to pursue other targets," he added.

"We have a number of irons in the fire at present and we will be looking to make several additions to our squad in the coming weeks."

Despite the interest Crouch may decide that his future lies with Pompey following Sulaiman Al Fahim's appointment as chairman on Tuesday.

Al Fahim's takeover should provide the club with the stability that Crouch felt was missing at the end of last season, with Paul Hart expected to be named as the club's new manager imminently.

RedLFCBlood
      Reply #23: Jul 24, 2009 10:59:57 am
      Come Back Crouchie

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/football/view/90652/Come-back-Crouchie/

24th July 2009 By Dave Armitage

Liverpool have emerged as shock contenders to take Peter Crouch back to Anfield in a £12m deal.

The England hitman was thought to be heading to Tottenham after he spurned Sunderland approaches.

But Kop boss Rafa Benitez has the 28-year-old striker on his radar and has asked to be kept informed with Liverpool currently on tour in Thailand. Spurs and Fulham had looked set to fight it out for the 6ft 7in star with Portsmouth boss Paul Hart resigned to losing him.

But Liverpool’s emergence in the race is a surprise – the striker spent three years at the the club before Benitez sold him to Pompey in an £11m deal last year.

However, with Andriy Voronin heading for the exit door, Benitez would welcome Crouch back to the fold.

Benitez is also ready to go head-to-head with old adversary Martin O’Neill in a fight to land French international defender Sylvain Distin from Pompey.

Aston Villa boss O’Neill and Benitez are hardly best of chums after their protracted fall out over Liverpool’s attempts to prise Gareth Barry away before the player opted for an £18m switch to Manchester City.

O’Neill has already had a £2.5m offer laughed out of court by Portsmouth – and Benitez  is vowing to match any offer they make to get his man.

Dmasta
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,895 posts | 553 
      Reply #24: Jul 24, 2009 11:09:47 am
      I'd love him to come back but It's not gonna happen because he'll still have the same problem which caused him to leave and he especially wouldn't want to jeopardise his spot in a world cup year.
      scottish lfc fan
      • Forum John Toshack

• 271 posts | -4 
      Reply #25: Jul 25, 2009 10:52:46 am
      NOT any more he been linked now with Fulham and in daily star Liverpool ?
      bri1970
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 651 posts |
      Reply #26: Jul 26, 2009 11:12:02 am
      Looks like he going to Spurs now as Portsmouth accepted bid off them.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #27: Jul 26, 2009 11:13:14 am
      10 million bid accepted from Tottenham
      barrymanulow
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,014 posts | -14 
      Reply #28: Jul 26, 2009 12:43:05 pm
      Of course clubs have to factor into the equation the cost of the upgrade to their facilities.

Larger benches with sufficient leg room
      All doorways raised to a suitable height
      longer stretchers, and beds in the sick bay.
      etc etc

But really I would like to see him at Tottenham.

RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,253 posts | 2855 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #29: Jul 26, 2009 08:16:44 pm
      But he is probally not, and will end up with 'Arry. So Topic Locked, any confirmation can go in the "Confirmed non-LFC Transfers: Summer 2009"
      http://www.lfcreds.com/reds/index.php?topic=19231.0

Quick Reply