Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 19th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P32 W19 D8 L5

The Best Music Generation? 60s-2000s Etc..

Read 3554 times
      StevieG-force
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 1,526 posts | 12 
      • Name:Richard-Age:21-Nationality:Welsh
      The Best Music Generation? 60s-2000s Etc..
      Jul 16, 2009 06:40:23 pm
      What would you say is the best music generation? After debating with my friends who seem to think we're in the best music generation there's ever been, I'd personally say I'm more of a 70s and 80s man, not that I don't like any music today but I don't think the likes of Soulja Boy and other hip hop artists are great musicians. Eminem, Kanye West and other artists who've dominated the 00s are good but nothing in comparison to the likes of The Beatles, Led Zeppelin Whoever.

Even though I grew up in the 90s I can still appreciate the classic bands and solo artists before my time, even though Oasis are my favourite band!

Anyone got a favourite Era of music??
      mattmcg
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,410 posts | 103 
      Re: The Best Music Generation? 60s-2000s Etc..
      Reply #1: Jul 16, 2009 07:22:50 pm
      Well I was born in 88 so can't remember much of the 80's music at the time.  Don't remember much of the 90s either to be honest, although I did go through a very brief time of listening to the Vengaboys. :D  Don't listen to any of the modern music of today, everything in the charts is pure and utter sh*te IMO.

My music consists of Iron Maiden, Metallica, Deep Purple, Black Sabbath, Led Zeppelin and various similar bands to these.  They range from late 60s to present but I suppose if we're talking about when they were most prominent then I'd say 70's and 80's are the best eras in music.  Of course there are other great bands and artists from the 60s onwards like The Beatles, Bob Dylan, Johnny Cash etc and IMO none of the bands and artists of today compare to any of those that I have mentioned in this post.  But that of course is in my opinion. ;)
      StevieG-force
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 1,526 posts | 12 
      Reply #2: Jul 16, 2009 07:43:27 pm
      Bit of a switch from VengaBoys to Iron Maiden!  :lmao:  Agree with your post though. Take it your not a fan of Hip-hop and Rnb of today then mate?
      mattmcg
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,410 posts | 103 
      Reply #3: Jul 16, 2009 07:49:39 pm
      Haha I know...with the Vengaboys I was only about 10 years old and I remember having their cassette tape. :D  Well I used to like Eminem thinking back a few years but apart from that, no I hate hip-hop and RnB with a passion.  >:D

If I'm honest I only really got into Iron Maiden and co a few years ago and haven't listened to any modern crap since.
      Gow
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,531 posts | 282 
      Reply #4: Jul 16, 2009 07:53:22 pm
      Wasn't this Venga Boys?

frank skinner

Put me right off them.
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #5: Jul 16, 2009 07:59:40 pm
      For me it's now as I'm enjoying modern music more than any other.....
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,003 posts | 3351 
      Reply #6: Jul 17, 2009 12:10:08 am
      60s.

Still had the overflow of the quality 50s bands, as well as Motown really starting to pick up, Merseybeat music starting to dominate the charts and of course the start of the Mod scene with The Who, Small Faces and The Kinks.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #7: Jul 17, 2009 07:36:57 pm
      Feck; what a mind wrecking thread, I've been doing my napper in trying to come up with an answer. I love the present, living in the now musically and being happy and able to draw on all the great music that went before. However, in the spirit of the tread I'll pick the decade that 'formed' me...

...The 70's ...... I listened to bands like T-Rex, Sweet, Slade, Synyrd, Queen, AC/DC, New York Dolls and then......all f**king hell broke loose.......the Sex Pistols, The Damned, The Buzzcocks, U.K. Subs, The Jam, The Ramones, Crass, Misfits, Dead Kennedys and, of course,....The Clash!.....a band that 'taught' me to broaden my musical tastes even further with Reggae and Ska...Toots And The Maytals, Jimmy Cliff and of course, The Wailers.

I passed my 'O' Levels and 'A' Levels, the music was great, I watched the Reds 15 - 20 times a year, (home and away) and 'my team' were steam-rolling all and sundry........wonderful, special times.  ;D

Yeah the 70's it is.... just.

« Last Edit: Jul 17, 2009 07:56:50 pm by bad boy bubby »
      gareth g
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 15,469 posts | 366 
      Reply #8: Jul 17, 2009 07:54:02 pm
      I love a wide range of music, the 60's and the 70's in particular, but if i had to choose a decade it would be the 60's.  If i had to pick a band it would have to be Deep Purple, with the specials coming a close second.
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #9: Jul 18, 2009 12:04:06 am
      Ha, going to have to say 90's and 00's due to the fact I was only alive then.

Obviously I listen to music from before then and enjoy it but I wouldn't say it has quite the same effect, simply because I have nothing really to associate it with.
      StevieG-force
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 1,526 posts | 12 
      Reply #10: Jul 18, 2009 01:57:48 am
      Alot of variety on this one! 60s and 70s seem to be the most popular!! With some fans of the modern stuff too.. Take it no one likes the cheezy 80s pop then! Boybands, Britpop and house music in the 90s? Guess you'd say the 00s are mostly Hip hop/RnB and the indy bands. Agree with what people say about music being what you can relate it to at the time though.

Quick Reply