Trending Topics

Next match: Everton v LFC [Premier League] Wed 24th Apr @ 8:00 pm - Pre Match Topic
      Goodison Park

Today is the 24th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W10 D8 L7

Recipes

Read 21570 times
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Re: Recipes
      Reply #69: Oct 20, 2016 07:01:22 pm
      ***BUMP***

Bought a pack of dates the other day -- reglet nour variety -- for a change (and to challenge my childhood memories of them being awful)

Very sweet, but good eating. Only use in recipes I know of is in puddings, but was wondering what else they can be used in? Seemingly they are quite a big part in Arab cuisine. But I can't find any recipes.

Dates and figs are used in a lot of North African dishes mate.  Mainly slow cooked "tagine" type dishes.  I use figs in a spicy Moroccan lamb dish but dates would work too.

Maybe search for recipes by country rather than ingredients?  Morocco, Tunisia, Lybia, Egyptian all use dates, figs and apricots in their savoury dishes.

Dates always remind me of childhood Christmases, my Dad always got them, he loved them.
      -LFC-
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,209 posts | 1213 
      Reply #70: Oct 20, 2016 07:10:55 pm
      Dates and figs are used in a lot of North African dishes mate.  Mainly slow cooked "tagine" type dishes.  I use figs in a spicy Moroccan lamb dish but dates would work too.

Maybe search for recipes by country rather than ingredients?  Morocco, Tunisia, Lybia, Egyptian all use dates, figs and apricots in their savoury dishes.

Dates always remind me of childhood Christmases, my Dad always got them, he loved them.

Cheers debs, a good shout with the North African esp. Moroccan cuisine. (Love figs btw). I was thinking they might go well in a slow cooked spicy lamb dish with roasted veg and cous cous but will see what I can find. Don't mind experimenting if I have to!
      -LFC-
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,209 posts | 1213 
      Reply #71: Oct 20, 2016 07:14:06 pm
      You could always hunt down Ruud van Nistelroy :D

:D
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #72: Oct 20, 2016 07:37:52 pm
      Cheers debs, a good shout with the North African esp. Moroccan cuisine. (Love figs btw). I was thinking they might go well in a slow cooked spicy lamb dish with roasted veg and cous cous but will see what I can find. Don't mind experimenting if I have to!

The spices in the North African region tend to be sweet, so mainly cumin, ginger, cinnamon, coriander with much less chilli, paprika, cayenne pepper although smoked paprika is fairly sweet.  They tend to use a lot of tomatoes too, again adding sweetness to the flavours.

This is the dish I do, adding the figs/dates the same time as the chickpeas.

http://themidnightfeast.blogspot.co.uk/2012/05/spicy-moroccan-lamb-stew.html
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #73: Oct 20, 2016 10:44:29 pm
      Any twists on a chilli that I can use reds?

Been working on a recipe for years now and it's gotten very tasty if I don't say so myself so looking for another little twist to mix it up a little.

Experimented with dark chocolate and coffee to good success, looking for something else now.

Quick Reply