Trending Topics

Next match: Everton v LFC [Premier League] Wed 24th Apr @ 8:00 pm - Pre Match Topic
      Goodison Park

Today is the 24th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W10 D8 L7

Picking up scouse?

Read 52658 times
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,008 posts | 3352 
      Re: Picking up scouse?
      Reply #115: Oct 09, 2009 12:29:06 am
      Only cos me and Kenny have used it a bit tonight.

The word "brass" simply means prostitute. Not sure if it's Scouse, but that's what it means. And "brass house" is obviously a brothel. Just in case people were slightly unsure.
      el batez
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,795 posts | 189 
      • everyones friend.enemies none.
      Reply #116: Oct 09, 2009 07:40:22 am
      Will ye ge'rus sutt'n'out de offy mate'(the kids).
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #117: Oct 09, 2009 09:54:06 am
      At times I found Steven Gerrard and Jamie Carragher difficult to understand. Actually, they are quite easy compared to Alex Gerrard. ;D
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,004 posts | 3952 
      Reply #118: Oct 09, 2009 10:15:42 am
      At times I found Steven Gerrard and Jamie Carragher difficult to understand. Actually, they are quite easy compared to Alex Gerrard. ;D
      :lmao:
      LFC-LCFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,766 posts | 128 
      • Adopted Scouser
      Reply #119: Oct 12, 2009 05:43:18 pm
      For hours...you can tell you don't live here.  ;)

Funnily enough I do live in Liverpool. I just dont mind that accent...and actually find it quite attractive on the right type of girl ;)
      Danny2304
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 663 posts |
      • Stairway to heaven
      Reply #120: Jan 18, 2010 01:39:30 pm
      I was in town on Saturday night and there was these 2 fit birds that come to Liverpool for a night out from Newcastle. Well Durham I think ;D I was rather pissed by this time.

There face when we talked to them haha they loved the accent so much.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #121: Jan 18, 2010 09:41:18 pm
      My nephew is starting to pick up a bit of a Scouse accent when he talks now :laugh:
      kenny
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,314 posts | 76 
      Reply #122: Jan 18, 2010 11:15:20 pm
      A friend of mine is marrying a Scouse girl.

I love when he brings her out with him, shes talks to me all night cos she knows i love the accent.

Attention seekers these Liverpool girls.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,008 posts | 3352 
      Reply #123: Jan 18, 2010 11:19:41 pm

He has all my sympathy mate.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #124: Jan 18, 2010 11:21:03 pm

I love when he brings her out with him, shes talks to me all night cos she knows i love the accent.

Attention seekers these Liverpool girls.

Aye. I can listen to Abby Clancy all day long.
      kenny
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,314 posts | 76 
      Reply #125: Jan 18, 2010 11:23:46 pm
      Hard work alright but that accent is worth it. And she's stunning aswell. :o

I wonder if you can download Scouse :D
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,008 posts | 3352 
      Reply #126: Jan 18, 2010 11:41:15 pm
      Hard work alright but that accent is worth it. And she's stunning aswell. :o

I actually hate really thick Scouse accent on girls, they just sound so brassy. Girls like Jennifer Ellison, it's a horrible accent on them. Softer accents on Scouse girls aren't bad though.
      kenny
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,314 posts | 76 
      Reply #127: Jan 18, 2010 11:48:51 pm
      I actually hate really thick Scouse accent on girls, they just sound so brassy. Girls like Jennifer Ellison, it's a horrible accent on them. Softer accents on Scouse girls aren't bad though.
      Same over here. The thick Dublin accent on a girl is a big put off, they are common as muck.

But a D4 (well spoken) accent is nice. Brian would know what i mean.

xxLiverPrinc3ssxx
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,018 posts | 62 
      • *****YNWA*****
      Reply #128: Jan 18, 2010 11:52:21 pm
      Same over here. The thick Dublin accent on a girl is a big put off, they are common as muck.

But a D4 (well spoken) accent is nice. Brian would know what i mean.

D4 heads sound like their trying to be american. I can't stand that Irish accent.
      kenny
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,314 posts | 76 
      Reply #129: Jan 19, 2010 12:01:26 am
      D4 heads sound like their trying to be american. I can't stand that Irish accent.
      :lmao: Ye some do alright. I'm surprised you know the D4 accent from the REAL Dublin accent.

No seriously Princess a D4 accent is the safer option. ;)

I have a real thick Dublin accent but im not a scanger :laugh:
      xxLiverPrinc3ssxx
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,018 posts | 62 
      • *****YNWA*****
      Reply #130: Jan 19, 2010 12:09:56 am
      :lmao: Ye some do alright. I'm surprised you know the D4 accent from the REAL Dublin accent.

No seriously Princess a D4 accent is the safer option. ;)

I have a real thick Dublin accent but im not a scanger :laugh:

Trust me, I know the difference. I've spent many months in Dublin, have family there as well and there is nothing more annoying than a strong D4 accent. Especially in young teenage girls, it's like nails on a chalkboard to me. They act like there on 'The Hills' or something and why are they all called Emer??

I think a guy can pull off a thick Dublin accent better than a girl. And what's with 'Come here til I tell'ya?' even when they speak to people over the phone?? Nuts!!
      BUT i have heard a happy medium, and that's the best option, for me anyway ;)
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,008 posts | 3352 
      Reply #131: Jan 19, 2010 12:22:46 am
      I think a guy can pull off a thick Dublin accent better than a girl.

Just like the Scouse one that girl.

The Scouse accent is at it's best in thick gruff voices which is a horrible sound on a bird.

I reckon one of the best Scouse accents I've heard on a girl is Sue Johnstone (Barb in the Royle Family). Thick enough to know she's a Scouser but not brassy.
      kenny
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,314 posts | 76 
      Reply #132: Jan 19, 2010 12:24:25 am
      Trust me, I know the difference. I've spent many months in Dublin, have family there as well and there is nothing more annoying than a strong D4 accent. Especially in young teenage girls, it's like nails on a chalkboard to me. They act like there on 'The Hills' or something and why are they all called Emer??

I think a guy can pull off a thick Dublin accent better than a girl. And what's with 'Come here til I tell'ya?' even when they speak to people over the phone?? Nuts!!
      BUT I have heard a happy medium, and that's the best option, for me anyway ;)
      :lmao: You really can tell the difference. I cant tell the difference in Liverpool to be honest.

I was a courier for a few years and I only delivered in the D4 area. UCD was where I spend most of my day and there were plenty of "Emer's" there who would look down at me. But it was better than being robbed in the rougher area's :D

'Come here til I tell ya' is over used alright :D

redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #133: Jan 19, 2010 12:37:12 am

The thread is picking up scouse mate. Not picking up scousers.  ;)

BUT i have heard a happy medium, and that's the best option, for me anyway ;)

What's your accent like then LP? Quite fascinated to know actually. You've spent time in Dublin, got family there (not sure if it's close family or not), you've lived in mancsville - hope you're all mentally clean now  ;) and you live in or did come from Liverpool?
      xxLiverPrinc3ssxx
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,018 posts | 62 
      • *****YNWA*****
      Reply #134: Jan 19, 2010 12:43:20 am
      :lmao: You really can tell the difference. I cant tell the difference in Liverpool to be honest.

I was a courier for a few years and I only delivered in the D4 area. UCD was where I spend most of my day and there were plenty of "Emer's" there who would look down at me. But it was better than being robbed in the rougher area's :D

'Come here til I tell ya' is over used alright :D

Suppose it's better to be looked down on than have your Bike robbed!!  :D

'Come here till I tell ya' is a funny one though. The first time I heard it, one of my friends said it to me over the phone and I was like 'Come here... What?' Soon got used to it though.  ;D

Just like the Scouse one that girl.

The Scouse accent is at it's best in thick gruff voices which is a horrible sound on a bird.

I reckon one of the best Scouse accents I've heard on a girl is Sue Johnstone (Barb in the Royle Family). Thick enough to know she's a Scouser but not brassy.

I know exactly what you mean DLS. I suppose in general, guys can pull of strong accents better than girls.
      xxLiverPrinc3ssxx
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,018 posts | 62 
      • *****YNWA*****
      Reply #135: Jan 19, 2010 12:51:38 am

What's your accent like then LP? Quite fascinated to know actually. You've spent time in Dublin, got family there (not sure if it's close family or not), you've lived in mancsville - hope you're all mentally clean now  ;) and you live in or did come from Liverpool?

My accents fairly soft. Usually takes a few mins before people realise I'm from Liverpool.
      Born in Liverpool, but my Mum's Irish so I spend quite a bit of time over there visiting family, Lived in Mancland but didn't catch onto the accent (thankfully) - and yeah I'm all mentally clean now, took a while though ;)
      « Last Edit: Jan 19, 2010 01:27:52 am by xxLiverPrinc3ssxx »
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,008 posts | 3352 
      Reply #136: Jan 19, 2010 01:09:47 am
      'Come here till I tell ya' is a funny one though. The first time I heard it, one of my friends said it to me over the phone and I was like 'Come here... What?' Soon got used to it though.  ;D

Since the original idea of this thread was certain Scouse phrases being used by non-Scousers (I think that was the gist of it anyway) what the bloody hell does "Come here till I tell ya" mean? Just so I can pick up a bit of Dublin or D4 (whatever that is, I thought it was the name of the opera band on X Factor a few years back)
      xxLiverPrinc3ssxx
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,018 posts | 62 
      • *****YNWA*****
      Reply #137: Jan 19, 2010 01:17:29 am
      Since the original idea of this thread was certain Scouse phrases being used by non-Scousers (I think that was the gist of it anyway) what the bloody hell does "Come here till I tell ya" mean? Just so I can pick up a bit of Dublin or D4 (whatever that is, I thought it was the name of the opera band on X Factor a few years back)

:lmao: :lmao:

That gave me a good laugh!

D4 means Dublin 4. It's a postcode in Dublin, it's quite a posh area. So everyone there tries to speak... very American for some reason.

G4 is the name of a band that was on the XFactor a few years ago.  :D

'Come here til I tell ya' is used by a Dubliner with a thick accent, for some reason they say it just before they give you news. Like you'll be on the phone and I'd ask how was your day or whatever, they would reply with... (in an excited voice usually) Come here till I tell ya, I was walking down the street and then all of a sudden...

Quick Reply