Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Picking up scouse?

Read 52453 times
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Re: Picking up scouse?
      Reply #23: Jul 18, 2009 01:13:43 am
      Reckon everyone's picked up the 'boss' from me.
      Gow
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,531 posts | 282 
      Reply #24: Jul 18, 2009 01:14:12 am
      Well you are boss, boss.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #25: Jul 18, 2009 01:15:27 am
      Reckon everyone's picked up the 'boss' from me.

;)
      Court LFC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,496 posts | 182 
      Reply #26: Jul 18, 2009 01:18:04 am
      Plastic Scousers anyone?

::)
      Gow
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,531 posts | 282 
      Reply #27: Jul 18, 2009 01:19:35 am

The everton FC Tesco Kirkby Stadium?
      Court LFC

• 8,496 posts | 182 
      Reply #28: Jul 18, 2009 01:20:31 am
      The everton FC Tesco Kirkby Stadium?

That's the one I was looking for.  ;)
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #29: Jul 18, 2009 01:22:13 am
      But words like "la" "bread" (in reference to money) "barney" (in reference to a scrap/fight) are, what I'd consider, solely Scouse words and when people from outside the city start using them I think it's trying to impress. There's predominantly Geordie words like "pet" or Cockney words like "bruv" and Liverpool has their own words which, in my opinion, should be used by people from the city.

Not sure about 'la'.

I, just like many other people outside of Liverpool use that occasionally when either messing around or being generally informal. Wouldn't say it's trying to impress at all. Unless you mean when people use the word intending to be serious?
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,955 posts | 3334 
      Reply #30: Jul 18, 2009 01:25:09 am
      Not sure about 'la'.

I, just like many other people outside of Liverpool use that occasionally when either messing around or being generally informal. Wouldn't say it's trying to impress at all. Unless you mean when people use the word intending to be serious?

No, "la" is a Scouse word.

When people, from outside the city, use it to a Scouser it is trying to impress. Sort of trying to say "look I'm one of you". Two wools from Widnes saying it to one another isn't trying to impress but saying to a Scouser is in my opinion.
      Court LFC

• 8,496 posts | 182 
      Reply #31: Jul 18, 2009 01:28:13 am
      I'm from the Wirral and I say la to loads of people!  Not really trying to impress anyone it's just the way I talk TBH.
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #32: Jul 18, 2009 01:36:28 am
      No, "la" is a Scouse word.

When people, from outside the city, use it to a Scouser it is trying to impress. Sort of trying to say "look I'm one of you". Two wools from Widnes saying it to one another isn't trying to impress but saying to a Scouser is in my opinion.

Hmm.

I don't neccessarily mean to a scouser though. I just mean to whoever, I live in Cheshire so would you see that as 'trying to impress' if it was between say me and friends? I don't think so at all, because we wouldn't be being serious when saying it.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,955 posts | 3334 
      Reply #33: Jul 18, 2009 01:46:21 am
      I've already explained that Ross. If, said to another non-Scouser then it isn't trying to impress. If it is, for example on here, then I see it as trying to impress. I see it as going of your (not you personally, your in the general sense) way to say/type the word la. It's much easier to see this in real life because you can tell easier what's natural and what's put on. And most people I've met from outside of the city of Liverpool who use the word la, make an effort to drop into conversation. They sort of drag it out of themselves.
      Dmasta
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,895 posts | 553 
      Reply #34: Jul 18, 2009 03:03:00 am
      I occasionally say 'boss' haven't really picked up any other words yet.
      johnstop
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,745 posts | 23 
      Reply #35: Jul 18, 2009 07:34:07 am
      I think La is just a shortened version of Lad which was used with the post war generation my neighbour who is 75 still calls me lad.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #36: Jul 18, 2009 07:49:46 am
      Well, I'm not entirely sure about this but I've picked up some words from the forum when I've never used them in my life. I would like to know what 'la' means cause in my country, we use 'la' but it's just a suffix added to a sentence taken from the Malay Language.

I read Stevie's book and he also has words like 'top man' and 'sharpish'. I probably know what 'top man' means but what exactly does 'sharpish' mean?
      el batez
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,795 posts | 188 
      • everyones friend.enemies none.
      Reply #37: Jul 18, 2009 08:10:35 am
      We should start a beginers class for our fellow supporters to help them with the finer pionts of our wonderful spoken English(Scouse)dya no worra mean like kidda ;)
      redsonfire

• 5,660 posts | 111 
      • 96 Candles Burn Bright
      Reply #38: Jul 18, 2009 08:32:44 am
      Well, as much as Scousers think that 'la' is a scouse word, it is also highly used in the Far East, for example Singaporeans and Malaysians. Its a typical singlish accent, in which I and many of my mates use, words like 'la', 'lor', 'leh', 'wah lao', etc all fall into this category.

They basically have no meaning, its just typical words Singaporeans use in their daily conversations. For a brief overview on what this la, lor, leh, walao is all about, just check Wikipedia would do.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Singlish

I am not a fan of using it though, I have it in my accent but I dont type it out. Find it quite unprofessional.
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Reply #39: Jul 18, 2009 08:35:29 am
      I suppose I've picked up 'boss' from the forum, but I didn't know 'well in' was Scouse, I've always said it. :-\
      el batez
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,795 posts | 188 
      Reply #40: Jul 18, 2009 08:52:27 am
      Ayrton your little fella may come home from his grans with a new lingo,anyway how's he getting on mate.
      redsonfire

• 5,660 posts | 111 
      • 96 Candles Burn Bright
      Reply #41: Jul 18, 2009 08:55:17 am
      I think I picked up boss from JD. He likes to use it eh? :D

And all sorts of other bollocks here I've been using it. My mates were like - where have you heard them from? Gladly I advertised this forum to them, the mancs! :D
      el batez
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,795 posts | 188 
      Reply #42: Jul 18, 2009 08:59:25 am
      ar dats sound da iz! ;)
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #43: Jul 18, 2009 09:25:48 am
      Scouse has a lot of words that Ive only ever heard at home. For example if Im talking about my parents  I say me ma or me da Ive heard that a lot in Liverpool or where scousers would say me arl fella here we'd say me oul lad or oul fella.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #44: Jul 18, 2009 10:04:25 am
      I only use Well in..I like it...got a nice ring to it.

You'd expect us to become Honorary Scousers considering we spend quite a considerable amount of time on here , every day of our lives.

bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #45: Jul 18, 2009 10:16:32 am
      But words like "la" "bread" (in reference to money) "barney" (in reference to a scrap/fight) are, what I'd consider, solely Scouse words and when people from outside the city start using them I think it's trying to impress. There's predominantly Geordie words like "pet" or Cockney words like "bruv" and Liverpool has their own words which, in my opinion, should be used by people from the city.

I'll give you 'la' DLS but 'barney', 'bread' and 'sound' have always been part of the lingo in N.I. Also the word 'pet' is heavily used where i'm from.

I do get what you're saying about using the 'Scouse' vernacular when one ain't Scouse - i just can't bring myself to use either 'la' or 'boss'; either on or off here. It just doesn't sound, or look, right to me; i don't feel comfortable i suppose.

Quick Reply