Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P27 W14 D8 L5

Rapid Vienna 1-0 Liverpool - post match thoughts

Read 18778 times
      Bahrosa-LFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 2,549 posts |
      • It's Not A Badge... It's A Family Crest
      Jul 19, 2009 08:07:11 pm
      FFS, Fulltime. 1-0.
      « Last Edit: Jul 19, 2009 08:10:16 pm by redkenny »
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #1: Jul 19, 2009 08:07:15 pm
      Historic victory...in a friendly.

I'm off to bed, screw this.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #2: Jul 19, 2009 08:07:33 pm
      Full time. Not good.
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,253 posts | 2855 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #3: Jul 19, 2009 08:07:56 pm
      Totally given up on any stream, but this is more entertaining. These names your quoting are like some ripoff team avoiding copyright.
      Alastair
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,414 posts |
      • Biggidy Biggidy Boom!
      Reply #4: Jul 19, 2009 08:09:03 pm
      Regardless of some of you saying result doesnt count, the fact that the team looks completely disjointed is quite the concern, espcially since one or two "first" team players were very shoddy, fit or not.
      solodee
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,036 posts | 147 
      • Liverpool FC All The Way
      Re: Rapid Vienna 1-0 Liverpool - post match thoughts
      Reply #5: Jul 19, 2009 08:10:17 pm
      Carragher couldn't organize the defence?
      JayDLFC
      • Forum Didi Hamann

• 290 posts | -1 
      Reply #6: Jul 19, 2009 08:11:34 pm
      ahh well like he said its only a friendly guys not like we lost anything we had kids out gotta give them a try
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,012 posts | 3352 
      Reply #7: Jul 19, 2009 08:13:01 pm
      180 minutes, no goals. Friendly or not, it's not great reading.

Needs sorting out sharpish.
      CurlyRed
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 799 posts |
      Reply #8: Jul 19, 2009 08:14:29 pm
      Don't understand why Glen J didn't feature just as a sub - couldn't have done any harm..... do any of you know from the pre-match publicity?  :(
      RedDrog
      • Forum John Toshack

• 264 posts |
      Reply #9: Jul 19, 2009 08:14:47 pm
      we were abysmal but at least it was only a preseason game.. lots to do to improve and im sure we'll be better when we get the rest of our first team back...
      Darkone
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 770 posts | -7 
      • YNWA
      Reply #10: Jul 19, 2009 08:14:51 pm
      Well. Its only a friendly anyway. Pacheco looks really good. His skill on the ball remind me of Messi. Rafa should work on him! We could creat a 'new Messi'.
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #11: Jul 19, 2009 08:15:53 pm
      ahh well like he said its only a friendly guys not like we lost anything we had kids out gotta give them a try

We lost the game. That's enough to make me pissed off. But you're right about the inexperience. Add sloppiness and tiredness to that.

Not a good game to watch and not really any great individual performances. Although Pacheco looked lively.

We've got to start improving and get fit soon. The season is only a matter of weeks away now.
      bartman49
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,157 posts | 37 
      Reply #12: Jul 19, 2009 08:31:35 pm
      It's never good to lose but if you going to lose now is the time, and not when the season starts, it's what these games are for to iron out all the holiday staleness, and for me the game done it's main job. You could see the Vienna club were well up on their fitness, their league kicks off this weekend and we have a few weeks to go. Good to see Mascha back, and was that a smile on his face at one point, anyway he's back so lets hope we will not here any more of him leaving, another mention for little Pacheco, what a talent, again he was the best of our players and even laid on a couple of goal chances for Kuyt, has to be in their with a chance of a starting place some time this season terrific prospect....
      adammac
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,762 posts | 239 
      • Heart As Big As Liverpool
      Reply #13: Jul 19, 2009 08:31:47 pm
      Pre-season is pre-season, I don't know why so many people get their underwear in a knot over the result. Degen lasted 60 minutes, kids got a run out and no one got seriously hurt (well I think Yossi is okay). It is interesting to see what young players get to make the trip to Asian while the other who will be sent back down to the reserve team for their pre-season games.

7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #14: Jul 19, 2009 08:34:07 pm
      180 minutes, no goals. Friendly or not, it's not great reading.

Needs sorting out sharpish.

Not to mention 4 goals let in but luckily 3 of them ruled out.

Don't understand why Glen J didn't feature just as a sub - couldn't have done any harm..... do any of you know from the pre-match publicity?  :(

Has a slight knock thats why.

Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,257 posts | 2823 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #15: Jul 19, 2009 08:42:30 pm
      Rather a poor pre season, were sloppy things can be ironed out, and go on to maybe win a league next May then set the world alight pre season and have a disjointed season
      kenny
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,314 posts | 76 
      Reply #16: Jul 19, 2009 08:44:46 pm
      We lost a Pre Season game, ok i wont lose too much sleep but still its always nice to show these low standard teams who's boss.

I sensed a bit of frustration from two or three of the senior players Gerrard for one and i don't know if anyone noticed it but i felt a bit of a bad atmosphere in the squad. We'll know in the next game when we have the spainish players back if we dont start winning then ill start to worry.

Hope Yossi is ok he took a bit of a knock at the end i hope its not serious.
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #17: Jul 19, 2009 08:45:29 pm
      Pre-season is pre-season, I don't know why so many people get their underwear in a knot over the result.

My underwear is perfectly fine. But I F***ing hate it when we get beat whether it's in pre season or not. Obviously the seriousness of this game was zero and the main focus is just to get the lads back on track. And to be fair, Rapid Vienna were clearly more fit and focused on the game.

But I still hate it when we get beat. The only real plus we can take from this is the lads can watch the game back and see how not to play football when the season starts.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,257 posts | 2823 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #18: Jul 19, 2009 08:47:15 pm

Hope Yossi is ok he took a bit of a knock at the end I hope its not serious.

Where was the knock Kenny?
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,650 posts | 6947 
      Reply #19: Jul 19, 2009 08:50:04 pm
      Pre-season is pre-season, I don't know why so many people get their underwear in a knot over the result.

True. I remember in the 80s when we were winning titles we had some pretty abysmal pre-seasons.

Regardless of some of you saying result doesnt count, the fact that the team looks completely disjointed is quite the concern, espcially since one or two "first" team players were very shoddy, fit or not.

In fairness though - at any point were our 'team' actually playing alongside each other.

Bunch of kids out there - Pacheco and Nemeth are blatantly not taking their opportunities to shine.  I'm prepared to look on the bright side and say at this stage it is still all about the fitness.  Gerrard's assault charge is not helpful that he is travelling back to Liverpool and not to Thailand.

However, for me, we definintely need back up for Torres. If we lose him to injury this season then we are in big trouble. Yossi's injury is a cause for concern and my oh my how I would love to see someone like Silva at Anfield.

The owners need to deliver about £40 M to Rafa - they've let us down and like I keep saying - if you include the Keane sale - they haven't spent a penny on transfers this summer at Liverpool FC. An absolute joke.
      kenny
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,314 posts | 76 
      Reply #20: Jul 19, 2009 08:52:41 pm
      He was stretchered of in the last few Min's after a bad challenge or was i just imagining things?
      JoeyLFC
      • Forum Kenny Dalglish

• 520 posts |
      Reply #21: Jul 19, 2009 09:00:05 pm
      is this a joke?? How did we manage this? I'm not happy. Not happy at all
      Junior_Red
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 926 posts |
      Reply #22: Jul 19, 2009 09:03:00 pm
      Pre-Season matters little, we've had great pre-seasons and had poor seasons, we've had poor pre-seasons and great seasons so does it matter?
      xxLiverPrinc3ssxx
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,018 posts | 62 
      • *****YNWA*****
      Reply #23: Jul 19, 2009 09:07:52 pm
      Feeling a bit gutted that we lost but at the end of the day it was just a pre-season game, so i won't lose any sleep over it. That commentator was proper annoying me though, the way he pronounced some of the players names, and the crap that he was coming out with... Oh don't get me started.
      Eem

• 6,018 posts | 89 
      Reply #24: Jul 19, 2009 09:12:36 pm
      Only positive is Pacheco. He'll be a star one day.

Poor performance, and although it's only pre-season, I hate it when we lose.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,012 posts | 3352 
      Reply #25: Jul 19, 2009 09:14:42 pm
      Pre-Season matters little, we've had great pre-seasons and had poor seasons, we've had poor pre-seasons and great seasons so does it matter?

Yes!

Whether it's pre-season or not it's always good to get into a winning mentality. It's always good to hit the ground running. It's always difficult to shake off a barren spell of lack of goals. It's always disheartening to lose.

Obviously if we go to White Hart Lane are tw*t Spurs 5-0 nobody will even mention the results. But it's still nice to get rhythm and a winning streak built up. Get goals under our belt.

Lets be honest everybody is trying to make out these games don't matter because we've not done well. If they didn't matter people wouldn't have been praising Johnson's debut, last year people wouldn't of been drooling over Ngog's impressive pre-season or Voronin's the year before. Last year we were all singing our praises after hammering Rangers 4-0 and a good solid 1-0 win over Lazio, but all of a sudden we're doing badly in pre-season so it doesn't matter? Bollocks to be honest.

Pre-season is vital because not only does it gain our fitness, get some momentum going, it also shows what we're lacking and during this pre-season we're showing signs of struggling without Torres up top.
      bri1970
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 651 posts |
      Reply #26: Jul 19, 2009 09:25:56 pm
      getting beat is never easy to take but at least it was only friendly.No goals is a bit worrying but i am sure we will start to step in the next game as the players are getting fitter.
      Eem

• 6,018 posts | 89 
      Reply #27: Jul 19, 2009 09:26:18 pm
      The way I see it, you have to try to get things right now. Pretending these games don't matter is a losers mentality, and I'm sure the players know that we have to win these games.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,650 posts | 6947 
      Reply #28: Jul 19, 2009 09:58:42 pm
      DLS, I'm not saying pre-season isn't important - but I'll pay more interest to the results in pre-season when I see a recognisable Liverpool XI out.

We conceded a goal when Peter Gulacsi was in goal.  He's about our 4th choice keeper (even ignoring Itandje (tw*t) and that Bulgarian fella).

When the Spaniards etc are all back in - players I would expect to see us actually use in the first team - then the results will have more significance.
      ssr.w
      • Forum David Johnson

• 245 posts |
      • Liverbird tattoed in my heart!
      Reply #29: Jul 19, 2009 10:06:19 pm
      i know that i am not the only one that's been waiting, counting the days, hours, minutes and seconds, but for what i think? for this? no one seems or wants to win this game..the last season ended up in the very best of ways, so i expect that this season will be even better, so for a start when I've had imagine results like 7-0 or less or some astonishing matches, i realize, that with this mentality we'll have to wait a little bit longer to win some other EPL, sorry if anyone feels touched, but that's how i feel now,

in the good and in the bad times  'once a red always a red'!
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #30: Jul 19, 2009 10:09:33 pm
      Well that was sh*t.

Nemeth has been awful these first two games, I actually think I've seen him touch the ball about twice. Pacheco showed signs of being decent tonight but didn't really do much.

Only positive to take away really is that I guess it has been good for the lad's fitness, apart from that...

I suppose you could say that it has been more or less our reserve team playing though and so it's not exactly representative. We should start to see improved results now.

I'm just glad that the first teamers are back now to be honest, hopefully now we will see some at least half decent displays. None of the players looked like they could be arsed tonight.
      red trooper
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,849 posts | 68 
      • and don't be afraid of the dark
      Reply #31: Jul 19, 2009 10:10:25 pm
      Not a result we all expected but it is merely a chance to see how other players can adapt to the first team and give the proven players a run out to help get match fit ...its better to sort out a mess now than when it counts ,and i know we would like to win every game 3-0 but this is good for us because it also means the other teams are trying their best and not lying down for us which would be useless to Rafa and to us
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,012 posts | 3352 
      Reply #32: Jul 19, 2009 10:10:35 pm
      JD, I understand all that mate and obviously these games aren't as massive as a title decider but I do think people are trying to lessen the results because they aren't going our way. If we'd won both games three or four nil, nobody would be making out they are "only friendlies". We'd be sat here saying Ngog/Nemeth/Pacheco all look great for the up coming season, Kuyt's picked up from where he left, Xabi can piss off if Lucas keeps up this form, Ayala looks ready to make the step and all the rest. That's the main reason why I'm not taking the look of "only friendlies" because had the results been in our favour, people wouldn't be saying that.

When the Spanish lads are back and we have a bit more fitness under our belt, things should pick up. We'll also have a clearer picture of Rafa's first choice XI which can only be a good thing.
      hardcoresoldier
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,158 posts | 1287 
      • The Liverpool Way is The Only Way
      Reply #33: Jul 19, 2009 10:14:42 pm
      If you're a winner, friendlies are never 'friendlies'. I know that we didn't have a full side out and we were trying out new things, but we lacked any creativity at all. DLS got it spot on, we lacked any potency in the final third.

I agree this wasn't the first choice team, but this is the rest of our squad. These games allow us to assess the strength in depth of the squad. I know it's early days, but we should be scoring goals and creating more chances than we are. I'm not worried at the moment as it's early days. The main point is that everyone is getting match practice. Can't wait to see the big guns back in action though, the Asia tour should be a very different story.
      LFC-Red
      • Banned

• 553 posts | 15 
      • Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.
      Reply #34: Jul 19, 2009 10:17:50 pm
      Its pre-season, fitness and organisation is being worked on.

Why some people get their knickers in a twist over a result like this is beyond me.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,650 posts | 6947 
      Reply #35: Jul 19, 2009 10:23:31 pm
      Its pre-season, fitness and organisation is being worked on.

Why some people get their knickers in a twist over a result like this is beyond me.

I'd be interested to see some of our results from campaigns in the 80's because I honestly remember us getting some pretty filthy looking results before we ended up winning titles and European Cups.

I'll admit the lack of chances we are creating is a problem.  If it's still sh*t after the next two then I'll maybe start to get concerned if we can't see off Thailand and Singapore.
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #36: Jul 19, 2009 10:25:07 pm
      To be fair, that was practically our reserve team playing up against a team who is in the Europa League next season, right?
      mike.lfc
      • Forum Youth Player

• 21 posts |
      Reply #37: Jul 19, 2009 10:30:13 pm
      Oh come off it and stop all the moaning!

It is a pre season friendly not a champions league final, yes we lost and no that doesn't make me happy but lets look at the reality of the situation.

We lose 1-0 against a side who looked fitter than us. We were playing youngsters and giving players run out. Which since I last heard was the POINT of a pre season friendly. I could hardly imagine Rafa and Stevie crying themselves to sleep over the result can you?

Also we have had bad pre season's previously and i don't think it effects us too much come match day of the league season.

Last season we hardly set the world on fire with our friendlies, scoring only 4 goals in our first 5 games, against much lesser opposition, and look we started the season off okay then didn't we.

So get over the result and look to the next friendly and lets see how we start the real season before crying over a couple of petty losses in friendlies.

Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #38: Jul 19, 2009 10:32:10 pm
      What gives you the impression we're all crying over it?
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,012 posts | 3352 
      Reply #39: Jul 19, 2009 10:35:34 pm
      I'd be interested to see some of our results from campaigns in the 80's because I honestly remember us getting some pretty filthy looking results before we ended up winning titles and European Cups.

The 83-84 pre-season friendlies, as found on Liverweb. http://www.liverweb.org.uk/season.asp?season=198384

3/8/83 away to Man United - we lost 4-3.
      5/8/83 away to Hamburg - we drew 0-0
      7/8/83 away to Feyenoord - we drew 3-3
      10/8/83 away to MAC Morocco - we won 3-0
      12/8/83 away to Ath. Madrid - we lost 2-1
      14/8/83 away to Dinamo Bucharest - we won 3-2.

Two wins, two draws and two defeats. An even pre-season then. We all know the season ended with League, League Cup and European Cup success.
      mike.lfc
      • Forum Youth Player

• 21 posts |
      Reply #40: Jul 19, 2009 10:40:15 pm
      is this a joke?? How did we manage this? I'm not happy. Not happy at all
      The way I see it, you have to try to get things right now. Pretending these games don't matter is a losers mentality, and I'm sure the players know that we have to win these games.

well??

Well maybe crying was the wrong choice of words for what i was saying, just don't read into the result to much is what i mean
      LFC-Red
      • Banned

• 553 posts | 15 
      • Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.
      Reply #41: Jul 19, 2009 10:45:48 pm

I'll admit the lack of chances we are creating is a problem.  If it's still sh*t after the next two then I'll maybe start to get concerned if we can't see off Thailand and Singapore.

180 minutes of pre-season football and you're judging that for the CL and Prem ;D. christ, I thought my wife panicked.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,012 posts | 3352 
      Reply #42: Jul 19, 2009 10:47:53 pm

No!

It is a pre season friendly not a champions league final, yes we lost and no that doesn't make me happy but lets look at the reality of the situation.

It's still defeat for Liverpool Football Club. Whatever capaticy, it's still defeat. Something this club has forced into them, they do not accept. As an old Liverpool song says "shout no surrender, don't mention defeat". Every game for this club is a game we should, at the very least, try to win. The opening two friendlies we haven't shown that desire.

We lose 1-0 against a side who looked fitter than us. We were playing youngsters and giving players run out. Which since I last heard was the POINT of a pre season friendly. I could hardly imagine Rafa and Stevie crying themselves to sleep over the result can you?

The POINT of pre-season is to get ready for the upcoming season. Hardly great preparation no goals in over 180 minutes now is it? The youngsters we're giving a run out to are hardly excelling and staking a claim for the first team. The first team regulars we do have out there have hardly bust a gut to get fit, they'd get more out of running up and down the sand hills at Formby beach.

Also we have had bad pre season's previously and i don't think it effects us too much come match day of the league season.

Well that happens to be because most years our first game of the season is a Champions League qualifier or the Charity Shield. A competitive game, that gives the players something to play for ahead of the opening fixture. We use those games are the ones to try and turn up in.

Last season we hardly set the world on fire with our friendlies, scoring only 4 goals in our first 5 games, against much lesser opposition, and look we started the season off okay then didn't we.

Well no we didn't start to well against Liege, then two last ten minute winners against Sunderland and Middlesborough before another shocking outing against Liege and possibly the drabbest game of football against Villa. Cracking start to a season, performance wise eh? Which is what good pre-seasons build up. They get the rhythm and momentum going.

So get over the result and look to the next friendly and lets see how we start the real season before crying over a couple of petty losses in friendlies.

Why should we look to the next friendly, it's not a Champions League final is it? The next match has no importance either so lets just sod it off. Oh and by the way, we haven't had a couple of losses in this year's pre-season. We've had one loss, one draw.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #43: Jul 19, 2009 10:59:49 pm
      I wouldn't look to much into pre season games but what is very hard to miss is how light weight we are up front, without Torres fit all next season we can forget about the league. Voronin is not the answer no matter how many people on here say get behind him. I can't understand if we are so broke why didn't we take a gamble on Owen, he more than likely won't be a regular with Utd either but who would you prefer to bring on to get a goal Owen or Voronin.

Rafa has to get someone in. What happened to the notion that every good team need 4 top strikers. We have one top class striker and very little else.(Kuyt has done his best work for Liverpool on the right side of Liverpool)
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #44: Jul 19, 2009 11:01:57 pm
      What gives you the impression we're all crying over it?

Exactly. I don't see why people are assuming this.

It's quite funny how some people feel the need to say 'it's only a friendly'. Of course it's only a friendly and everyone knows the main focus is to try the squad players out and work up the match fitness of the squad. That's the blatant obvious.

But in reality, LFC don't really have friendlies. Anyone we play wants to beat us - friendly or not - because we're LFC. Sammy Lee said this same thing the other day and I totally agree with him. It's important to strike up that winning mentality throughout the whole squad because you never know when these 'kids' or fringe players might be making sustained appearances when it really does matter. Especially when we literally haven't been funded for transfers by the owners yet. If the players see it as it's just a run out and it doesn't really matter, then that's not going to encourage a winning mentality. And you need that in abundance these days to win titles, especially when we haven't won a title for so long.

Is it wrong for us to have that 'want' to beat anyone we come up against?

It does my head in when we get beat, no matter what the focus of the game we play in is or who we play. I sincerely hope our players feel the same tonight.

I'll untangle my thong if people stop being so complacent. 

CurlyRed
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 799 posts |
      Reply #45: Jul 19, 2009 11:19:10 pm
      I'm not complacent and I know exactly what you mean RK - the squad didn't show an ounce of the 'killer' instinct we had towards the end of last season.  I think when a player puts on that red shirt the 'must win' mentality should come on the pitch with him not stay on the bench.  God they've all had a nice rest COME on red men let see the real deal again.  Don't care that it's a friendly doesn't mean we lose the competitive streak!!!   :-\
      hardcoresoldier
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,158 posts | 1287 
      Reply #46: Jul 19, 2009 11:34:37 pm

I'd love for Shankly to still be around and hear these comments. He instilled a mentality at Liverpool, a winning mentality. A defeat is a defeat, no matter what game it is. We need to get into the winning habit, and pretty soon. A few goals would be nice too. I'm not crying yet, but i am slightly concerned.
      robbyr
      • The king of randomness and highly intellectual debate
      • Banned

• 2,684 posts | 27 
      Reply #47: Jul 19, 2009 11:43:51 pm
      jeez its only a friendly, as the commentator said, its just for fitness, and both teams we have played were well up on their fitness compared to ours because they are already into their seasons proper.

result is insignificant, good to see the fringe players playing.
      Joey B
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,664 posts | 46 
      Reply #48: Jul 19, 2009 11:47:37 pm
      Like to bet the players did'nt think "it was just a friendly"Good players hate to lose any game no matter what.Not too many shining lights out there tonight.
      mike.lfc
      • Forum Youth Player

• 21 posts |
      Reply #49: Jul 20, 2009 12:16:33 am
      No read the first comment i made, "yes we lost and NO this doesn't make me happy" im not saying that it is ok to lose friendlies or it is ok not to show up for games such as this one, because of course that would be wrong.

I am just saying that it is a slight over reaction to a 1-0 loss in a friendly. If this is the reaction to a friendly loss then i would hate to see one to a real game in the league.

This is not what the team need, for fans to get on there back at any possible chance, this happened last year in league games and it does no good. Look back to the game against City at home last year, the fans got on the back off the team and they fell apart.

And yes lets look towards the next friendly to get FIT and READY for the season to come.

solodee

• 6,036 posts | 147 
      • Liverpool FC All The Way
      Reply #50: Jul 20, 2009 12:38:29 am
      Maybe when the likes of Torres, Alonso, Arbeloa and the rest of the spanish contingent begin to play in this pre-season, we will begin to show some class. What was it with our defense? It was actually in tatters. Does that mean the absence of Alonso & Mascherano was a key problem? or that the young lads are not just ready?

Pacheco has it; Not sure about Nemeth. Ever more doubtful about Ngog's ability to step up and fill Torres' shoes when things get hectic.

Never use to like comments about some players not being Liverpool FC Standard - But now? I wonder about the likes of Babel, Ngog, Nemeth and Voronin. Are they surplus to requirement? Do we need to sell and use the money for some other quality purchases?

Buying Silva will look more like buying a knife when what you need is a spoon. We already have Babel, Riera, Aurelio and Benayoun all able to play the LM position. Invest the money on some English striker that can fight for the top spot or act as a sub to Torres.
      arvindram
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 616 posts | 11 
      Reply #51: Jul 20, 2009 12:40:44 am
      Rapid Vienna is starting its season next week. Our players had a training the morning of the game and had total of 90 min competitive (friendly) this season. Rapid Vienna are no Tranmere rovers or Malaysia X1 or Barnette (no offense meant). Get a grip. Wake up dudes (dudettes)
      hardcoresoldier
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,158 posts | 1287 
      Reply #52: Jul 20, 2009 12:43:32 am
      No read the first comment I made, "yes we lost and NO this doesn't make me happy" im not saying that it is ok to lose friendlies or it is ok not to show up for games such as this one, because of course that would be wrong.

I am just saying that it is a slight over reaction to a 1-0 loss in a friendly. If this is the reaction to a friendly loss then I would hate to see one to a real game in the league.

This is not what the team need, for fans to get on there back at any possible chance, this happened last year in league games and it does no good. Look back to the game against City at home last year, the fans got on the back off the team and they fell apart.

And yes lets look towards the next friendly to get FIT and READY for the season to come.

Fair point mate. But even you must be concerned at the lack of opportunities we are creating. I understand that maybe you think some of us are over-reacting, but I genuinely believe there is no such thing as a "friendly". If, as a player you are taking it easy because it's a friendly, then that's not exactly the best preparation for a new season and title assault. The players have had their break, they should now be chomping at the bit to stake a claim for a place in the team for the EPL assault.
      N1ce
      • Forum Michael Robinson

• 52 posts |
      Reply #53: Jul 20, 2009 01:31:51 am
       People get so worked up because they "assumed" it should have been certainly a good result for Liverpool against RV, and that's wrong.
       RV is Austrian Liga champion in 07-08, and 2nd in 08-09. Although Austrian Liga is an average league in Europe and can't compare to EPL, they are by no mean an easy opponent, even for the Liverpool starting XI.
       The loss doesn't concern me much, but no goal in 2 matches bothers me big time. We depend too much on Torres, and if he or Gerrard is injured during the next season, we are so ***ed.
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #54: Jul 20, 2009 02:43:12 am
      Always upsetting to see us lose, friendly or not.

More concerned with drawign a blank in two matches now.

LFC-LCFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,766 posts | 128 
      • Adopted Scouser
      Reply #55: Jul 20, 2009 04:52:50 am
      Ah well. Be reet!

If we go two Premiership games without scoring THEN I'll stab jabbing away at my panic button.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,751 posts | 6722 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #56: Jul 20, 2009 05:08:10 am
      I'm with Redkenny on this. I hate losing any game be it preseason friendly or not. It just sticks in my gut.

I'm more concerned that we really didn't create many goal scoring opportunities apart form Pacheco and the one Benni tried to flick around the back of his legs. I can't even remember 1 in the first half. That's the disappointing thing.

I really like this kid Pacheco...he's got something about him. A bit of flair and creativity. He seemed like the only player out there capable of coming up with something different. At least he tried, he just needs to pass the ball a bit quicker. Noticed that in his last game as well. He had runners either side of him that he could have laid the ball onto but he went himself and fluffed it. having said that though, I must say I have a lot of time for him, he's only a kid and I'm excited about his future with us.

My highlight of the match was seeing Torres shove that bread roll down his mouth and Riera snatching only the last bit off him. Gold  ;D
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #57: Jul 20, 2009 08:37:16 am
      Agree with the general consensus here. I was pissed off watching the game. The lads looked like they didnt care - except for Nemeth and Skrtel.

2 games, 0 goals and should be 3 conceded. Not good stats considering who we are and who we've played.
      redsonfire

• 5,660 posts | 111 
      • 96 Candles Burn Bright
      Reply #58: Jul 20, 2009 09:01:10 am
      Quite worrying but the result is insignificant. Just got back from school and am looking at the highlights now, we did not create as many chances as we would have liked. It is always bad to lose pre-season games, I am not with losing them, they need to wake up and know this is not some park football but some serious business - gearing up for our title assault.

However I wouldn't be pressing the panic button yet. Only played 2 games and they used the full squad of 20+ players odd. Its not about the tactics but more of giving the young players pre-season exposure, to be ready for the new season. It is more about understanding each other on the pitch and having good communication. Perhaps that was what we lacked today that made us lost.

There are 2 Far East games coming up now, and for me I live in Singapore, and obviously keep track of Thailand, Malaysia, and there are South East Asian competitions once in 2 years. Thailand and Singapore are around the same standard, although I will say that Thailand would pose a greater trend with them under Reid, his guidance has strengthened Thailand.

There is a clause which the team is obliged to field more or less their first team XI, so I will imagine the younger stars to cut down playing, and more of Riera, Torres, Alonso. Reina coming back into the game. Only then I believe we would see a much clearer picture of how fully warmed up we are for the new season.
      redsonfire

• 5,660 posts | 111 
      • 96 Candles Burn Bright
      Reply #59: Jul 20, 2009 09:01:40 am
      This is the highlights for the game. I will post it in the Video Thread as well. Enjoy.

Rapid Vienna Vs Liverpool[1:0][19/07/09][Friendly]
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #60: Jul 20, 2009 09:26:22 am
       As REDS we do not like to lose,but it is better to lose a friendly match pre season and get the squad in the right frame of mind for results that do matter.If we had put our strongest 11 out then we would have cause for concern and posters would have a right to be worried.A poster mentioned Bill Shankly having a winning mentality well contrary to popular belief I can recall losing matches when the great man was our manager,it hurt just as much then as losing does today.Give the lads a chance and I am sure they will repay us when the results matter.
      macca8

• 5,258 posts | 83 
      • If you can't love us, then fear us!
      Reply #61: Jul 20, 2009 12:54:42 pm
      From the beginning it was Rapid all the way...in the half our performance was far from ok. The midfield was sitting too deep in defense and Nemeth looked like a passanger alone up front, but in the second half, our game upped slightly when Rafa introduced Pacheco, Spearing and Benayoun. Eventhough we lost but hey, it's still pre-season and most of our 1st squad weren't playing. The thing is Rafa do need to play the Pacheco and co. more with the 1st squad. They were not connecting well.

Well, on the plus side, it seems like we have a bright future in Pacheco and Spearing while others might have to buck up and rise to the occasion. I was dissapointed in how crap Voronin was that night. Babel was nowhere to be seen. Kuyt also not playing well but I'll reserve my judgement until the Thailand game
      Garett
      • Forum Graeme Souness

• 377 posts |
      Reply #62: Jul 20, 2009 01:00:58 pm
      Well. Its only a friendly anyway. Pacheco looks really good. His skill on the ball remind me of Messi. Rafa should work on him! We could creat a 'new Messi'.

Hey I wanted to comment He looks like our Liverpool 'Messi', but someone done it.
      Anyway the concern is his size. Dunno if can suit the EPL, however Owen was 'small' too.
      Body strength needed I guess.

As for the match. Our team looks like a bunch of hastily assembled players who did not play with one another before.
      However it's just a friendly, and like they say, no match fitness. But I hope this doesnt goes into the real matches.
      macca8

• 5,258 posts | 83 
      • If you can't love us, then fear us!
      Reply #63: Jul 20, 2009 01:05:02 pm
      I don't size does matter...Luis Garcia and that traitor were pintsized but hell they were good...just need a good physical workout and learn from monster Masch...
      flafson
      • Forum Roger Hunt

• 497 posts |
      Reply #64: Jul 20, 2009 01:07:38 pm
      In one of the diaries it said that Yossi took Pacheco under his wing, knowing Yossi, i bet that means a lot and he's actually showing him all the right moves cause he sees something in him.
      AustrianRED
      • Forum Youth Player

• 15 posts |
      Reply #65: Jul 20, 2009 01:33:39 pm
      It was a great atmosphere last night but the game was very bad and we have to learn many things from a game like this. It was of course a great moment for our youngstars to play in a stadium with 50.000 people. The best thing is to forget this game and to make it better in the next game.
      MikeEccles
      • On Trial

• 1 posts |
      Reply #66: Jul 20, 2009 02:31:19 pm
      You can't really take much from friendlies - especially at the start of the pre-season - and making so many changes wouldn't have helped.  But good experience for the young lads and, as long as we're ready for the start of the season, the focus is there with all to win the league, then we can lose every friendly as far as I'm concerned.  Although a winning mentality would help....
      REDMAN
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,314 posts |
      Reply #67: Jul 20, 2009 03:00:09 pm
      All about fitness,result isn't important at this stage of the season.
      StevieG123

• 9,716 posts | 65 
      Reply #68: Jul 20, 2009 03:39:08 pm
      On to Thailand to take another boring draw or defeat I guess.
      Gow
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,531 posts | 282 
      Reply #69: Jul 20, 2009 04:01:11 pm
      It was disappointing to lose. Like others say, as a Liverpool fan I want to see us win every game. But the whole essence of pre-season is us putting a team out that haven't ever played as a team before. Nowhere near it. I'm disappointed that some of the young lads haven't taken their chance to shine and we should have created more chances. I think we need a world class midfield playmaker as much as we need back-up for Torres. It's a concern. Yes, Pacheco looks like he has promise, but has no-one ever explained to him what passing a ball is? Greedy little f**ker!

Anyway, onwards and upwards. Had we had our first team out there we would have tonked them. And the nearer to the actual season kicking off the more consistently we'll see something more like a first team and better performances.
      StevieG123

• 9,716 posts | 65 
      Reply #70: Jul 20, 2009 05:35:28 pm
      We're clearly missing Xabi, there's no control to the team when they're out there, obviously cuz they're young and inexperienced but imagine us playing like that in the league without Alonso! :o
      hardcoresoldier
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,158 posts | 1287 
      Reply #71: Jul 20, 2009 06:08:17 pm
      You're right there mate. Alonso pulls all the strings, the orchestrator of the team. Just hoping he plays on the tour. If he plays he stays. If we are to sell him on then there is no way he will be allowed to play, due to a possible injury killing off the deal. So Rafa, make sure he starts the next game please.
      SG8LFC
      • On Trial

• 2 posts |
      Reply #72: Jul 20, 2009 06:55:22 pm
      All about fitness,result isn't important at this stage of the season.

Couldn't agree more. I think too many of us get frustrated over a friendly. I'd rather us lose every friendly if it meant the youngsters got on the pitch and we found a couple worthy enough to break into the first team.
      thereds0404
      • Forum Youth Player

• 7 posts |
      • Died Hard Fan's Liverpool FC
      Reply #73: Jul 21, 2009 02:07:56 am
      The boys really cannot beat a team that not in they league. Rapid Vienna look more dangerous then Liverpool. All attacking that Liverpool play cannot harm Rapid Vienna. Liverpool should really think about bringing new strike force. Liverpool need to spent little bit money on transfers this summer. Get the right players with the right price.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #74: Jul 21, 2009 03:51:50 am
      The boys really cannot beat a team that not in they league. Rapid Vienna look more dangerous then Liverpool. All attacking that Liverpool play cannot harm Rapid Vienna. Liverpool should really think about bringing new strike force. Liverpool need to spent little bit money on transfers this summer. Get the right players with the right price.

Yeah, apparently we're Man City.

You realise Torres was out?
      Eem

• 6,018 posts | 89 
      Reply #75: Jul 21, 2009 07:09:23 am
      Hey I wanted to comment He looks like our Liverpool 'Messi', but someone done it.
      Anyway the concern is his size. Dunno if can suit the EPL, however Owen was 'small' too.
      Body strength needed I guess.

If you're good enough, you're big enough.
      Mascherano is hardly big, Judas, Benayoun etc. All of them aren't the biggest.
      JayDLFC
      • Forum Didi Hamann

• 290 posts | -1 
      Reply #76: Jul 21, 2009 12:44:54 pm
      ahh well its over and done with now guys a friedly is a friendly i dont care if we lose friendlys its other games that matter yah and i agree it is nice to test out youngsters and maybe tell few of our young strikers to try and copy a torres style approach to the game! and sell ngog :D i hate him but yea was nice to see our youngsters play even if we did lose
      arvindram
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 616 posts | 11 
      Reply #77: Jul 21, 2009 01:29:02 pm
      Rapid Vienna is a decent regular European Team. Our team couldnt even be qualified as 2nd string. We mixed and matched players playing for the first time all together. What do we expect? Them to be cohesive? It was only for all the lads to get a run out and know each other.

Results matter in competitions. At that rate we would be even considering 5-aside training matches next season!

Quick Reply