Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 27th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W13 D5 L11

Have Our Fans Always Been Vocal?

Read 2159 times
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 21,012 posts | 3352 
      Have Our Fans Always Been Vocal?
      Jul 17, 2009 03:25:39 am
      This is more for the pre-Shankly years. We've all seen the videos of the swaying Kop from the 60s upwards which coincided with the Merseybeat music and I know the fans used to sing a lot of the Beatles' songs as well as a few of Gerry and the Pacemakers' hits including, of course, You'll Never Walk Alone.

But what about before that? Where we still as loud during the dark days of the 50s and before?
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Re: Have Our Fans Always Been Vocal?
      Reply #1: Jul 17, 2009 03:42:11 am
      From what ive seen from the History DVD and other things, i think before those glorious days of the 60's onwards we were not much different from any other supporters.. apart from supporting a better team of course :P I think it was the whole Merseybeat era and the Beatles, Pacemakers etc that started what we now see week in week out as the most vocal supporters on the planet. Im speaking from afar of course, being an Aussie who now resides in the US, but all my research ive done leads me to that anyways. Any older supporters on here that can maybe shed some more light?
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,650 posts | 6945 
      Reply #2: Jul 17, 2009 08:09:22 am
      I'm not sure whether it was 'good form' to be singing and hollering at football games in post-war Britain?

I would have thought it all really started in the 60's when a lot of other things were changing in the country.

But I wouldn't no for sure obviously and will no doubt be proved wrong.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #3: Jul 17, 2009 08:39:25 am
       Its a long time ago but to the best of my knowledge the kop really started singing when we signed Ian StJohn with when the saints go marching in.Prior to that we certainly made a lot of noise when the REDS were doing well and went quiet when things were not going so well.I think the fact a lot of music in the 60s originated in Liverpool had a bearing on the crowd singing at Anfield.Also it should be remembered in the late 1940s and certainly in the 1950s (2nd division days ) except for Billy Liddell and one or two other players we did not have much to sing about.Its a good topic DLS and other posters may have different opinions to mine but that is how I remember them.Anfield was still a good place to be with or without the songs.The crowd at Anfield deserve full credit for the way they can make a certain song fit a player,it is usually so spontaneous.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 21,012 posts | 3352 
      Reply #4: Jul 17, 2009 03:37:04 pm
      Its a long time ago but to the best of my knowledge the kop really started singing when we signed Ian StJohn with when the saints go marching in.Prior to that we certainly made a lot of noise when the REDS were doing well and went quiet when things were not going so well.I think the fact a lot of music in the 60s originated in Liverpool had a bearing on the crowd singing at Anfield.Also it should be remembered in the late 1940s and certainly in the 1950s (2nd division days ) except for Billy Liddell and one or two other players we did not have much to sing about.Its a good topic DLS and other posters may have different opinions to mine but that is how I remember them.Anfield was still a good place to be with or without the songs.The crowd at Anfield deserve full credit for the way they can make a certain song fit a player,it is usually so spontaneous.

Cheers for that mate.

I bet there was some noise when we finally got promoted back to the first division in the early 60s. :laugh:
      PJMAN
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 852 posts |
      • we ride
      Reply #5: Jul 20, 2009 11:50:29 pm
      I read somewhere that the first recorded singing was on the kop in the early 1900's, unfotunately it was Blackburn Rovers fans. Must have been the Blob Shop. Don't know wether it is true.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #6: Jul 21, 2009 08:28:36 am
      I read somewhere that the first recorded singing was on the kop in the early 1900's, unfortunately it was Blackburn Rovers fans. Must have been the Blob Shop. Don't know wether it is true.
      I doubt there would of been many Blackburn fans at Anfield in the early 1900s,if there was they would of had to come on horses.This is where it gets interesting if they came by horse where did they all leave their horses when the game was on.In the 1950s and 60s we would often go to the match by bike and leave them in someones backyard in one of the streets opposite Anfield.I think they used to charge 3pence for parking your bike.

Quick Reply