Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W11 D6 L12

English Players playing abroad

Read 5362 times
      Scouse pie
      • Forum Jason McAteer
      • Started Topic

• 147 posts | 10 
      English Players playing abroad
      Jul 19, 2009 10:46:01 pm
      To be honest, I am not patriotic person and therefore have no emotional bond with the national team. Therefore, this thread is not a discussion about the state of national team but rather the quality of home grown players and their mentality. Whatever people say about Pennant, you cannot deny that it is a brave but exciting move for him to Real Zaragoza. He is the only English player in LA LIGA.

Matt Derbyshire move to Olympiakos was a shock transfer especially with the fact that he was a boyhood Blackburn Rovers fan.

It seems pretty clear that many of English players are not even good enough to go abroad. Yet despite saying this, we have witnessed many average players from other countries here in the Premiership. Of course many leagues have players from foreign countries but hardly any from England.

Is it a combination of lack of quality and weakness of mentality that has led to this dearth of English players abroad? Or is there another reason. Certainly those who have moved abroad get my appreciation as it is an exciting venture that will certainly enhance their cv.
      « Last Edit: Jul 19, 2009 10:52:24 pm by MsGerrard, Reason: Corrected title and spelling mistakes, try using the spell check button next time please. »
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Re: Englsih Players playing abroad
      Reply #1: Jul 19, 2009 10:47:57 pm
      Well one thing I would say is look at the amount of African players here, kind of speaks for itself.

England is a great country to live in, and a brilliant one to play football in.
      adammac
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,762 posts | 239 
      • Heart As Big As Liverpool
      Re: English Players playing abroad
      Reply #2: Jul 21, 2009 04:38:42 am
      The issue with English players is they simply are not good travelers in terms of play in other footballing cultures and also the simple fact is money. If you can make better money at home rather than having to play in some country where you are forced out of your element, have to learn a new language etc then the easy thing to do is stay home.
      StevieIsStillGod
      • Forum Didi Hamann

• 288 posts | 10 
      Reply #3: Jul 21, 2009 05:02:47 am
      I like how Beckham gets booed in America, and his own captain calls him an asshole. Looks good on him.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #4: Jul 21, 2009 09:13:09 am
       One of the first players i can remember going overseas to play was Neil Franklin,he was an England centre half who played for Stoke city,He was unhappy with his pay of 20 quid a week and went to Bogota Columbia in 1950 for 5000 quid year plus 35 quid for a win bonus.At the time Columbia was not affiliated to F.I.F.A so in a way what he did was illegal.When he came back to England he was suspended and eventually finished up playing for Hull.When he left Stoke I am sure another Stoke player went with him,I have got the name mountford in my mind but cannot be 100% sure.While on the subject of English players playing abroadAston villa sold a Center forward to an Italian club and he was a big success over there as was the great John Charles even though he was Welsh/
      Scouse pie
      • Forum Jason McAteer
      • Started Topic

• 147 posts | 10 
      Reply #5: Jul 21, 2009 05:23:11 pm
      Of course things may change now that the Government have (suposedly) decided to impose 50% tax  on the super rich. Although, in principle, this shouldn't change anything as the premiership is one of the most exciting leagues in the world,  we cannot deny that this may influence some to reject a move here as ultimately money dictates a player's career.  La Liga, after a slight dip, is fast emerging as a serious contender to knock the Premiership of its pedestal with the best players. Prehaps, there will be one or two English players who will be tempted to try out a different enviornment.

(Anyway it's about time the rich stopped having tax breaks that are not available to the poor).
      Andrew W.
      • Forum Erik Meijer

• 30 posts |
      Reply #6: Jul 27, 2009 06:24:03 pm
      Is Beckham the only player playing outside of england for England?
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #7: Jul 27, 2009 11:32:21 pm
      Is Beckham the only player playing outside of england for England?

I think you could also say Kazim Richards but I'm not completely sure about him.
      Scouse pie
      • Forum Jason McAteer
      • Started Topic

• 147 posts | 10 
      Reply #8: Jul 28, 2009 02:51:27 am
      I forgot about him Ross. That was a shock move from Brighton to Fernebache. He was suddenly playing against Chelesa in the Champions league knockout stage.

As far as I'm aware, there are five English players who are playing aborad:

1) Pennant - real zaragoza
      2) Beckham - LA Galaxy
      3) Colin-Kazim Richards - Fenebache
      4) Derbyshire - Olympiakos
      5) Vassell - - Ankaragucu: Who can forget this! Fans greet Darius Vassell in Turkey
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #9: Jul 28, 2009 03:18:59 am

I think you could also say Kazim Richards but I'm not completely sure about him.

3) Colin-Kazim Richards - Fenebache

No he wouldn't count because he opted to change to Turkish nationality.
      adammac
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,762 posts | 239 
      • Heart As Big As Liverpool
      Reply #10: Jul 28, 2009 04:08:57 am
      There are a few English players who do play in the MLS with Becks, most of them are lower league football players but players like Danny Dichio and Darren Huckenby who have played in top flight English football do play in the MLS.
      Dmasta
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,895 posts | 553 
      Reply #11: Jul 28, 2009 05:45:38 am
      If you want to get technical there's a couple of english players playing down here.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #12: Jul 28, 2009 01:07:34 pm
      Robbie Fowler being the only one we care about, though Dmasta ;)
      Dmasta
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,895 posts | 553 
      Reply #13: Jul 28, 2009 03:01:32 pm
      So no one cares about Andy Todd. :f_tongueincheek:
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #14: Jul 28, 2009 03:10:25 pm

That really is brilliant.