Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P27 W14 D8 L5

Could any team break into the top four this season?

Read 5133 times
      LostHighway
      • Forum Youth Player

• 11 posts |
      Re: Could any team break into the top four this season?
      Reply #23: Jul 22, 2009 10:54:36 am
      The thing City have going for them is that the teams who people expect to challenge for 5th (and then go on to compete for 4th-ish) i.e. Villa, Everton, Spurs is that they usually have a pretty solid first XI but that means that as the latter half of the season comes around they're tired and start to struggle, look at Villa last season. City however may take half a season to gel but with the squad they have the chance to build - but Sparky probably still doesn't have the killer edge to do it - but if they do they've definitely got the better chance, because as we all know in the EPL, money talks.
      paulboo
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,146 posts | 10 
      Reply #24: Jul 22, 2009 12:45:04 pm
      No cant see it really. City may go off like a rocket and do a few teams but for me theres too much trouble waiting to happen there. Spurs will flatter to decieve again and the blueshite will struggle i think.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,235 posts | 8573 
      Reply #25: Jul 22, 2009 03:26:10 pm
      Manchester City, serious contenders, or not?

Who gives a F**k about Man City.

Never won F**k all, never done F**k all and will always F**k up whatever good start or good team they have.

You haven't thrown your dummy out your pram yet have you RedRoy?
      RedRoy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,483 posts | 88 
      Reply #26: Jul 22, 2009 11:10:21 pm
      Who gives a f**k about Man City.

Never won f**k all, never done f**k all and will always f**k up whatever good start or good team they have.

You haven't thrown your dummy out your pram yet have you RedRoy?
      Me? No never owned a dummy, just asking what I thought was an obvious question as they seem to be "out- chaving" the chavs.The more players they sign the better as far as I'm concerned, because they don't have a manager to handle all the ego's, so imo top four? No f*cking chance.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #27: Jul 23, 2009 10:34:59 am
      I think they will challenge the top four and it would be Ignorant to think otherwise, they have signed mainly players with premiership pedigree and the  signings they have made make it capable to challenge, i'm not saying they will break the monoply and finish 1st 2nd 3rd or 4th but they will be challenging. I remember the old Cliche' the best form of defence is to Attack, yes they are weak at the back which could all change by the time the transfer window shuts, but against the likes of Everton Villa Tottenham etc  etc, I think City will concede goals but have the ability to out score them going forward so I think they will flirt with the top 4 for certain but maybe end up in 5th
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #28: Jul 23, 2009 05:59:46 pm
      I remember the old Cliche' the best form of defence is to Attack,

Wont be hard when they have no defence in the first place.

If the cliche was to be used in City's case, Hughes might just shout to Tevez 'SHOOT!' when Torres is one on one.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #29: Jul 23, 2009 08:27:45 pm
      City will eventually break in, if its not this season it will be next season and eventually they will win the Premiership. No one in world football has ever had the financial might of Man City. The owners are worth an estimated 550 billion Ambravoich is worth about 20 billion, that will give you an idea how much they are worth. If they keep spending millions every year eventually they will win. If you keep buying the best players eventually it will click. I'm really jealous just wish they could have bought us.
      Andrew W.
      • Forum Erik Meijer

• 30 posts |
      Reply #30: Jul 27, 2009 06:22:26 pm
      If city get some class defenders they might have a chance.
      Beansie
      • Forum Graeme Souness

• 370 posts |
      Reply #31: Jul 28, 2009 02:17:52 pm
      City haven't a clue. just given probably their nearset rivals 25m to spend on new players, which could be the difference between arsenal maintaining 4th position and keeping themselves midtable.
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,921 posts | 821 
      • Formerly known as Vtorres, Vsuarez, and Vsterling.
      Reply #32: Jul 28, 2009 02:30:15 pm
      Same old top four as usual in my opinion.

1st  =Liverpool
      2nd =Chelsea
      3rd  =Scum
      4th  =Arsenal

Man city may have the players but Mark Hughes doesn't have a clue for one he has bought way to many strikers and has left his defense hopeless. They might be able to score goals with the millions they have spent but they will not be able to defend properly against the likes of us Chelsea Man united and arsenal even Aston villa to some extent. There midfield isn't all that either robinho is the only decent player they have in the midfield they have no play maker to pull the strings.
      ShanerB
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 881 posts | 25 
      Reply #33: Jul 28, 2009 02:41:29 pm
      There midfield isn't all that either robinho is the only decent player they have in the midfield they have no play maker to pull the strings.

To be fair Stephen Ireland was their best player last season and I'd definitely class him as a playmaker. But I reckon the top 4 will stay the same. I don't see City challenging yet, Villa won't do as well without Barry and I'm not even going to waste the finger energy on the bitters. I think Spurs could be the team to challenge Arsenal, Redknapp did a very good job and I expect them to push on a little this season
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,921 posts | 821 
      Reply #34: Jul 28, 2009 02:43:40 pm
      But Ireland wont have a great season this year i don't think. isn't he a winger ? And by play maker i mean a CM that pulls the strings.
      ShanerB
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 881 posts | 25 
      Reply #35: Jul 28, 2009 02:48:15 pm
      I guess we have to wait and see how he gets on this year but I was extremely impressed last year. He is a CM and while he doesn't pull the strings in the style of an Alonso he does get forward a lot and links a lot of their play together. He got a hell of a lot of assists last season
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,921 posts | 821 
      Reply #36: Jul 28, 2009 02:50:46 pm
      True i think the influence of robinho had a great effect on him.
      Madscouser
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,814 posts | 67 
      Reply #37: Jul 29, 2009 03:00:26 pm
      Same old top four as usual in my opinion.

1st  =Liverpool
      2nd =Chelsea
      3rd  =Scum
      4th  =Arsenal

Man city may have the players but Mark Hughes doesn't have a clue for one he has bought way to many strikers and has left his defense hopeless. They might be able to score goals with the millions they have spent but they will not be able to defend properly against the likes of us Chelsea Man united and arsenal even Aston villa to some extent. There midfield isn't all that either robinho is the only decent player they have in the midfield they have no play maker to pull the strings.

What he said.

Quick Reply