Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 1st of May and on this date LFC's match record is P32 W19 D5 L8

Thailand 1-1 Liverpool post match thoughts

Read 11862 times
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,710 posts | 3717 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Re: Thailand 1-1 Liverpool post match thoughts
      Reply #23: Jul 22, 2009 04:40:08 pm
      There were good thing & bad things. I'm happy with these players performence: Mash., Insua, Torres, Glen, Arby, Babel, kuyt, Dossena, lucas and so & so Degen. My negs are ngog, voronin, plessis, spearing.

I hope that El zhar & skrtel do not have any major problems.

My MOTM is Insua & Lucas
      mattmcg
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,410 posts | 103 
      Reply #24: Jul 22, 2009 04:46:14 pm
      I hope Rafa trims down the squad a bit for the next game, or perhaps after the Singapore game and concentrates on the players he thinks can step up next season as back up if called upon.  Its fairly obvious that some players just don't seem ready for the step up, especially up front.  To me Nemeth and Pacheco have potential but aren't quite there, N'Gog has looked very poor so far and Voronin has looked good at times but just isn't a goalscorer.  Back up keepers look dodgy too, especially their clearances and distribution.

The first teamers look alright though.  Still need a few additions methinks but then again, thats only gonna happen if players are sold.  :-\
      murpies
      • Forum Dean Saunders

• 69 posts |
      Reply #25: Jul 22, 2009 04:57:11 pm
      see u in singapore the reds....
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #26: Jul 22, 2009 05:04:22 pm
      Again its obvious we have one top class striker and very little else, if we lose Torres through injury next season I fear for our title challenge, I think it's vital we bring someone else in, if Rafa doesn't I think we could come short again next season.
      Gow
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,531 posts | 282 
      Reply #27: Jul 22, 2009 05:14:42 pm
      Can't wait to go to the Atletico game ::)

Like MsG said - if we lose our first team attacking options then we're totally goosed by the looks of things. And getting Voronin a new attitude hardly seems like much summer activity in terms of strengthening in depth.

The young lads aren't covering themselves in glory during this pre-season. At some point we have to get a little concerned. I'd like to see something like a first XI soon to allay some fears, but I can see that we don't have much cover in the squad that comes anywhere near 50% the quality of what it's covering!!
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #28: Jul 22, 2009 05:16:54 pm
      Again its obvious we have one top class striker and very little else, if we lose Torres through injury next season I fear for our title challenge, I think it's vital we bring someone else in, if Rafa doesn't I think we could come short again next season.

Yep, it's a concern. Mattmcg made a point in the live match thread that Torres being on for 5 mins had more of an effect than the other players up front from the previous games. Obviously we all know Torres is our best striker but the gap in between is certainly a big one.

The owners need to fund a back up striker. Otherwise, we'll be walking too close to the edge.

HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,244 posts | 8576 
      Reply #29: Jul 22, 2009 05:21:39 pm
      Yep, it's a concern. Mattmcg made a point in the live match thread that Torres being on for 5 mins had more of an effect than the other players up front from the previous games. Obviously we all know Torres is our best striker but the gap in between is certainly a big one.

The owners need to fund a back up striker. Otherwise, we'll be walking too close to the edge.

I suppose we could always use Ryan Babel, more chance of him getting a few goals than our two owners finding transfer funds.

Still that co-commentator Keith Costigan didn't seem too bothered when yapping about the two yank beauts.  ::)
      HampshireRed
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 702 posts |
      • If I'm not back in 15 minutes.....wait longer
      Reply #30: Jul 22, 2009 05:35:35 pm
      Not very impressed. I hear what people say about getting back in shape after the break but many of the players used havent exactly worked their butts off over the last season so why are they tired and need a break? Not many new names so they should be aware of each other so all this about building up understanding seems irrelevant.

N'Gog hasn't seemed interested in the last two games, Spearing sees himself as a cross between Sammy Lee and Stevie G whilst possessing non of their talent. Friendlies or not we need a win every game mentality.

Aside from that we are going to win the league, I just feel it.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,244 posts | 8576 
      Reply #31: Jul 22, 2009 05:45:24 pm
      BENITEZ SWEATS ON DUO'S FITNESS
      Jimmy Rice 22 July 2009

The club's medical staff are assessing injuries which forced both players to leave the pitch during a rain-soaked second half.

Benitez told Liverpoolfc.tv: "They were not the best conditions here today and the worst thing was to lose Skrtel and El Zhar.

"The idea of the game was to improve match fitness, so to lose two players is bad news."

Ryan Babel gave Liverpool the lead in Bangkok before the hosts levelled in the second half.

The fanatical Thai supporters reserved the biggest cheer of the day for Fernando Torres, who returned to action with a late cameo.

Benitez added: "The fans were really good, supporting the team, enjoying the game and getting behind certain players in particular."

The boss also revealed that Xabi Alonso and Yossi Benayoun were not involved due to ankle injuries.

Meanwhile, Jamie Carragher believes the heat and humidity the Reds are experiencing in Asia will leave them well prepared for 2009-10.

He said: "We are disappointed at giving the lead away because we want to win every game we play but the first three or four games are about fitness and getting the match practice in.

"Then the games start getting to a higher level and you'll hopefully see a bit more flow. At the moment you're seeing two different teams in each half.

"But the conditions we are playing in here and in Singapore will help us once the new season gets underway."

Carragher also spoke of his pride at the support Liverpool have encountered in Thailand.

"I've been here a few times now and it's always the same," he added.

"They are fanatical about the Premier League over here, especially Liverpool. We should be proud of how big our club is out here. That's why we come."

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/drilldown/N165150090722-1704.htm
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,023 posts | 3352 
      Reply #32: Jul 22, 2009 05:51:20 pm
      Who was captain when Carra went off?
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #33: Jul 22, 2009 05:52:49 pm
      I think it was clear, the gulf in class immediately when Torres came on.

I'm sorry but our young prospects just aren't good enough, at the moment anyway. The only one who looks good enough is Insua. Spearing was sh*te today, so too Nemeth - again. Did he actually do anything?

Voronin's miss was woeful.

Things can only get better though, if the first team was out we would have smashed them.

HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,244 posts | 8576 
      Reply #34: Jul 22, 2009 05:59:16 pm

I think Mascherano had the captains armband.
      hardcoresoldier
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,158 posts | 1287 
      • The Liverpool Way is The Only Way
      Reply #35: Jul 22, 2009 06:01:02 pm
      I think it was clear, the gulf in class immediately when Torres came on.

I'm sorry but our young prospects just aren't good enough, at the moment anyway. The only one who looks good enough is Insua. Spearing was sh*te today, so too Nemeth - again. Did he actually do anything?

Voronin's miss was woeful.

Things can only get better though, if the first team was out we would have smashed them.

Agree with you there, i thought Insua was solid again, one of the positives of the pre-season so far. What's worrying me is that Rafa is giving all the fringe players a chance, but no-one seems to want to step up to the plate. Our central midfield was woeful, can you imagine what the loss of Alonso would do to our side, doesn't bear thinking about.

N'gog was shocking, no hunger there at all and Voronin, well, was Voronin. What a sitter he missed. Without Torres we are toothless.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,023 posts | 3352 
      Reply #36: Jul 22, 2009 06:01:32 pm
      I think Mascherano had the captains armband.

Ta mate.

Wonder if it was a little ploy to make him stay. May only be a small thing but it shows trust from the manager.
      Eem
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,018 posts | 89 
      Reply #37: Jul 22, 2009 06:47:16 pm
      Not good at all. When Torres came on, we suddenly looked a hell of a lot more dangerous. We need another striker like Torres to bring him off the bench and to cover for him.

The youngsters just aren't pulling their finger out. They need to concentrate more and pass the ball rather than going it alone.
      solodee
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,036 posts | 147 
      • Liverpool FC All The Way
      Reply #38: Jul 22, 2009 07:49:56 pm
      Big problems.

2. Mascherano, Alonso and Arbeloa and their cosying up to Spanish clubs is a disgrace. Rafa needs to come out to say they're going nowhere. Whether they like it or not.

You must have been reading my mind JD. Rafa needs to tell Alonso that he is not going anywhere. Petulant clown, Alonso. His dodgy refusal to play in today's friendly against Thailand reminds me of the Berbatov/Tottenham stand-off! So Gutter
      Tamyka 4 Torres
      • Forum Neil Ruddock

• 152 posts |
      Reply #39: Jul 22, 2009 08:01:54 pm
      We need a creative player like Silva to provide that spark of energy and chances that Torres did today.
      bri1970
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 651 posts |
      Reply #40: Jul 22, 2009 09:05:01 pm
      Some positives came out of the game but also quite a few negatives especially the cover for Torres as the young lads finding it hard to impress. Just hope the 2 injuries are not too serious but Skirtel's looked bad as he pulled up quickly.Insua impresses me more everytime i see him and is looking like he will make that position his own. Glad to see Agger back after injury, lets hope he can get run of games now and stay injury free.
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,353 posts | 1634 
      Reply #41: Jul 22, 2009 09:15:32 pm
      While i can accept we all want to win every game ,are we not losing a bit of perspective over these games their only purpouse is A fitness for the next season and B to promote ourselves abroad ,both of which we are acheiving all be it with a few injury scares .
       Of course we look different when Nando comes on we fcking well should he is the best out there ,agree on the points about our youngsters not seeming to make the grade yet ,but we havn,t had a full team on the park yet ,when we do then we will really see where we are at,   
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #42: Jul 22, 2009 09:19:17 pm
      I'd say over the games we have played it has not been too bad to be honest it has highlighted in some parts where we are lacking but if you look at the bigger picture it's hard to get any fluidity going in your game when you are using 22+ players in a 90 minute match. Lets wait and see how we perform when we field an all most full strength side, I think we will fare a lot better as all the regulars we've seen so far look hungry and sharp IMO.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #43: Jul 23, 2009 12:03:00 am
      Torres looked as though it wasn't pre season. Gerrard and Torres don't need to worry about Voronin breaking their partnership up though, for a striker you'd think he would know how to finish a glorious chance. How are we meant to sell him now! ;)
      LFC-LCFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,766 posts | 128 
      • Adopted Scouser
      Reply #44: Jul 23, 2009 03:18:26 am
      Does noone else think it would be better to prepare for a Premiership campaign by playing some English clubs in England? English football on English grounds....as opposed to asian football in a monsoon?

Just food for thought. Also, Voronin clear through on goal and putting it wide?? Even my sister can at least kick the ball thingy so it ends up somewhere between the two white sticks.
      adammac
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,762 posts | 239 
      • Heart As Big As Liverpool
      Reply #45: Jul 23, 2009 04:16:35 am
      Does noone else think it would be better to prepare for a Premiership campaign by playing some English clubs in England? English football on English grounds....as opposed to asian football in a monsoon?

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

That is all they care about really though some would debate that playing in Asian where it is very hot climate would help the sweat that excess weight gain from their month off. Also the fact having the team away will help new players gel with the present players as they will be with each other most of the time unlike if they train at Melwood for a few hours then go back to their house/hotel room.

Quick Reply