Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W11 D6 L12

Formula 1

Read 578096 times
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,253 posts | 2855 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Re: Formula 1
      Reply #138: Mar 18, 2009 09:59:50 am
      First of all, I felt, WHAT!, why are they changing things again, but then, I guess it is only proper that the Driver that wins the most is actually quite sensible. This will stop the percentage game, and with that Kinetic Energy thingy, Slick tyres, and smaller but in race adjustable rear wing, and no in season testing, it may be a better season. I hope Melbourne have a lot of breakdown trucks, 'cos it may get dirty :)
      frizzby5
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 18,362 posts | 627 
      Reply #139: Mar 18, 2009 02:58:15 pm
      I was of a similar thought Red Puppy BUT what about consistency, if Hamilton had finished 2nd in every race he'd still have lost out to Massa due to not having won a race ! you can win say 6 or 7 races (More than anyone did last season ) not finish another race and be crowned champion !
      We will have to watch and see how a season pans out and comment on it as it happens I think !
      crouchysrobot
      • Forum Jamie Redknapp

• 311 posts |
      Reply #140: Mar 18, 2009 11:57:38 pm
      The new points system is stupid. They make a big deal about trying to get smaller teams to do better, but now they have to win races instead of finishing 8th to prove they are better than other teams. Doesn't make much sense to me.
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,253 posts | 2855 
      Reply #141: Mar 19, 2009 09:40:01 am
      If any petrol heads are interested there is an F1 preview, on Freevew Ch 302, sorry no idea what that is on sky, (its one of BBC interactive channels).
      frizzby5
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 18,362 posts | 627 
      Reply #142: Mar 19, 2009 09:49:14 am
      The new points system is stupid. They make a big deal about trying to get smaller teams to do better, but now they have to win races instead of finishing 8th to prove they are better than other teams. Doesn't make much sense to me.

From what I've read Crouchy nothing else changes not even the points system, every driver and team score as they used to, its only the driver with the most wins as oppossed to points that picks up the title.
      In theory the champion driver could be 6th in the points table. !
      The contructors title is still decided by points as for as I know, I could be wrong, but thats how I read it !
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,253 posts | 2855 
      Reply #143: Mar 28, 2009 05:21:58 am
      Well it's now 05:20, I'm up and watching the Aussie Qualis, I have no idea why I am awake this early, maybe getting ready for the change in clocks. Would like Brawn to do well, but Ross is a manc follower!
      cynisca
      • Forum Jason McAteer

• 140 posts |
      Reply #144: Mar 28, 2009 07:11:23 am
      Jenson Button on pole position for the Australian GP 2009. I had predicted Ferrari to be honest.
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,253 posts | 2855 
      Reply #145: Mar 28, 2009 08:36:57 am
      Just in case anyone is interested in the Qualification from Melbourne.

Melbourne Qualifing Times
      Position Country Driver Car number Team Qualifying time
      1  Jenson Button  1:26.202
      2  Rubens Barrichello 1:26.505
      3  Sebastian Vettel  1:26.830
      4  Robert Kubica  1:26.914
      5  Nico Rosberg  1:26.973
      6  Timo Glock  1:26.975
      7  Felipe Massa  1:27.033
      8  Jarno Trulli  1:27.127
      9  Kimi Raikkonen  1:27.163
      10 Mark Webber  1:27.246
      11 Nick Heidfeld  1:25.504
      12 Fernando Alonso  1:25.605
      13 Kazuki Nakajima  1:25.607
      14 Heikki Kovalainen  1:25.726
      15 Lewis Hamilton No Time Busted Car for 2nd Qulaificaton Session 
      16 Sebastien Buemi  1:26.503
      17 Nelson Piquet Jr  1:26.598
      18 Giancarlo Fisichella  1:26.677
      19 Adrian Sutil  1:26.742
      20 Sebastien Bourdais  1:26.964
      The Kopite91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,654 posts | 246 
      Reply #146: Mar 28, 2009 02:20:00 pm
      The two Toyota drivers. Timo Glock and Jarno Trulli have been put to the back of the grid because the rear difffusor has been declared illegal. And apparently there are hearings going on about the legality of other cars right now.
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,253 posts | 2855 
      Reply #147: Mar 28, 2009 09:30:06 pm
      The two Toyota drivers. Timo Glock and Jarno Trulli have been put to the back of the grid because the rear difffusor has been declared illegal. And apparently there are hearings going on about the legality of other cars right now.
      Close but no Cigar, The rear wng is too flexible, thats the reason, not the spoiler.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/formula_one/7969641.stm#
      el batez
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,795 posts | 189 
      • everyones friend.enemies none.
      Reply #148: Mar 29, 2009 12:57:46 pm
      And Jenson Wins,great drive.
      frizzby5
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 18,362 posts | 627 
      Reply #149: Mar 29, 2009 09:39:04 pm
      well done Jenson lad a great drive and a Brawn 1-2 with Lewis in 3rd after coming through from 18th place on the grid !
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,654 posts | 6949 
      Reply #150: Mar 30, 2009 01:03:28 am
      Hamilton did well.  Be interesting to see if the other cars catch up.

Still think they should all have the same engines though. 

How are we supposed to know whether for instance Button is better than Hamilton?
      REDMAN
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,314 posts |
      Reply #151: Mar 30, 2009 01:18:57 am
      A fair eventful race and a good way to start the season!!!a very good day for the Brits,particularly Hamilton having started 18th.

Jd-i think in years ahead cars will become very similar due to budget restraints..There about to trial it,with something called F2,where the William's teams team will be the sole supplier of chassis!!!
      Ally-LFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,625 posts | 113 
      • Walk on, walk on, with hope in your heart
      Reply #152: Mar 30, 2009 01:28:34 am
      I think it could be an exciting season with all the changes to the cars.
      At the moment, no-one knows who's going to win each race.
      Remember the years of schumacher where it was a ferrari 1,2 every race. Makes a change now doesn't it
      robbyr
      • The king of randomness and highly intellectual debate
      • Banned

• 2,684 posts | 27 
      Reply #153: Mar 30, 2009 02:25:00 pm
      I love F1, the Brits are way ahead this year come on give us another UK Champion this year :champ: :champ:
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,253 posts | 2855 
      Reply #154: Mar 30, 2009 10:43:39 pm
      Still not seen it, was in work all day Sun & Mon, will watch it tomorrow at my leisure.
      crouchysrobot
      • Forum Jamie Redknapp

• 311 posts |
      Reply #155: Apr 04, 2009 01:15:34 am
      During F1 practice at Malaysia today, my dad and I were talking about how fast they could get an F1 car to lap the Malaysian circuit if they weren't any regulations. For instance, they could run turbos, as big of engines they wanted (V12s without rev limiters), whatever tires they wanted, whatever fuel they wanted (rocket fuel for example), whatever aerodynamics they wanted, ground effects, no weight restrictions, basically whatever the engineers could come up with.

The fastest time in practice in Malaysia was a 1:35.707 set by Kimi Raikkonen, which is an average of 126.98 mph. Now, my dad says that they would be able to run 1:00, an average speed of 202.56 mph. That's ridiculous, there is no way they could AVERAGE 202mph. I said that they would be able to do around 1:15, which is 162.05 mph. No doubt, they would be able to scream at probably 200+ around the fast sweepers at Sepang and 240+ down the long straights, but they have to slow down to go around all of the hairpins. That's why I think that a 1:15 is a solid estimate, they might be able to go faster than that.

However, the thing is, you need some crazy person to drive it. I have faith that Kimi would be willing to drive such a fast car, but would his body be able to take it? Drivers might not be able to survive such high g-forces in the corners and could pass out.

How fast do you think an F1 car could go without restrictions?
      cynisca
      • Forum Jason McAteer

• 140 posts |
      Reply #156: Apr 04, 2009 06:46:37 am
      During F1 practice at Malaysia today, my dad and I were talking about how fast they could get an F1 car to lap the Malaysian circuit if they weren't any regulations. For instance, they could run turbos, as big of engines they wanted (V12s without rev limiters), whatever tires they wanted, whatever fuel they wanted (rocket fuel for example), whatever aerodynamics they wanted, ground effects, no weight restrictions, basically whatever the engineers could come up with.

The fastest time in practice in Malaysia was a 1:35.707 set by Kimi Raikkonen, which is an average of 126.98 mph. Now, my dad says that they would be able to run 1:00, an average speed of 202.56 mph. That's ridiculous, there is no way they could AVERAGE 202mph. I said that they would be able to do around 1:15, which is 162.05 mph. No doubt, they would be able to scream at probably 200+ around the fast sweepers at Sepang and 240+ down the long straights, but they have to slow down to go around all of the hairpins. That's why I think that a 1:15 is a solid estimate, they might be able to go faster than that.

However, the thing is, you need some crazy person to drive it. I have faith that Kimi would be willing to drive such a fast car, but would his body be able to take it? Drivers might not be able to survive such high g-forces in the corners and could pass out.

How fast do you think an F1 car could go without restrictions?

I think they could drive 380 KPH top speed. The fastest race cars on earth are the IndyCar race cars they reach 380 KPH.
      frizzby5
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 18,362 posts | 627 
      Reply #157: Apr 04, 2009 07:07:25 am
      The cars ONLY restriction is surely the track, the only way the Indy cars can reach 380 KPH is with the track design, I.E. ovals  ( no severe change of direction, just a gentle lifting off the Gas for the corners, where necessary )
      In F1 you at least need tracks with gentle curves like spain as opposed to Malyasia yes it has two long straights but with Severe hairpins to navigate it brings the overal lap time down !
      And you don't get F1 cars in the U.S. the F.1. U.S. GP is run within the Brickyard oval.

redsonfire
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,660 posts | 111 
      • 96 Candles Burn Bright
      Reply #158: Apr 12, 2009 12:40:00 pm
      I'm a Ferrari supporter. Sad to say Ferrari hasn't garnered any points this season yet. Hamilton's looking fantastic this season, his mentality is.. quite strong and never gives up.

Brawn GP looking good though, as always Button is ahead of everyone from the 1st lap onwards. Quite pacey their car, put real 6 months more of intensive work in it and thats the end product.

Looking forward to an exciting F1 season, at the Singapore GP as well! A night race that one.
      macca8
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,258 posts | 83 
      • If you can't love us, then fear us!
      Reply #159: Apr 13, 2009 03:10:15 pm
      the big boys are complaining about the diffuser brawn, toyota and williams used in the race
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,253 posts | 2855 
      Reply #160: Apr 15, 2009 11:52:45 am
      The Diffussers are LEGAL! Great News, getting smoe new blood into the sceen.

F1 appeal rules in Brawn's favour (BBC)
      Motorsport's governing body, the FIA, has ruled the Brawn GP car, which has taken Briton Jenson Button to two wins this season, is legal.

A panel heard eight hours of strongly worded evidence on Tuesday after complaints that Brawn, Toyota and Williams, use an illegal diffuser.

And the five International Court of Appeal judges said the designs "comply with the applicable regulations".

All three teams are free to race in the Chinese Grand Prix in Shanghai.......

Link if you want the rest of the story, but you get the jist.
      http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/formula_one/7996698.stm#

Quick Reply