Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Formula 1

Read 572154 times
      batman0077
      • Forum Billy Liddell
      • Started Topic

• 564 posts |
      Re: Formula 1
      Reply #23: Apr 18, 2007 01:59:53 am
      I saw a bit of Sundays race and Hamilton seems to be finding his feet fast, but how much notice are the drivers taking of team orders these days, and does the second rated driver still have to make way for the Superstar?

absolutely none. hamilton will be treated like a second rate driver until next year when the team actually feels like moving him up. what team does he race for anyway?? never really took much notice. and who's his teammate?? its all cause they changed the color of the cars. they all look the same.
      mrtommo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,890 posts | 168 
      Reply #24: Apr 18, 2007 02:33:48 am
      absolutely none. hamilton will be treated like a second rate driver until next year when the team actually feels like moving him up. what team does he race for anyway?? never really took much notice. and who's his teammate?? its all cause they changed the color of the cars. they all look the same.

Hi mate, he drives for McLaren and his team mate is Fernando Alonso.
      So Hamilton will get no special treatment with Alonso as McLaren's no. 1 driver
      batman0077
      • Forum Billy Liddell
      • Started Topic

• 564 posts |
      Reply #25: Apr 18, 2007 02:37:17 am
      Hi mate, he drives for McLaren and his team mate is Fernando Alonso.
      So Hamilton will get no special treatment with Alonso as McLaren's no. 1 driver

i kind of figured that, but i wasn't too sure. pitty, maybe raikkonen could change to renault and ferrari could get him. i always like to see a brit in a nice red italian racing suit. does well for the country.
      mrtommo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,890 posts | 168 
      Reply #26: Jun 16, 2007 02:05:02 pm
      Just a quick update on what's happening in the world of Formula 1.
      Tomorrow will be the 7th race of the season at Indianapolis.
      Let's hope Lewis Hamiton can carry on his remarkable start to the season as a rookie driver.

His record stands at the moment after 6 races :-

1st  -  1
      2nd -  4
      3rd -   1

With 11 more Grand Prix left this is how it stands at the moment.

Drivers' world championship 2007

Name                             Car                          Nat      Points

1 Lewis Hamilton              McLaren-Mercedes            GB          48 
      2 Fernando Alonso           McLaren-Mercedes            Spa         40 
      3 Felipe Massa                  Ferrari                            Brz          33 
      4 Kimi Raikkonen              Ferrari                             Fin          27 
      5 Nick Heidfeld                BMW Sauber                    Ger         26 
      6 Giancarlo Fisichella          Renault                           Ita         13 
      RED1028
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,392 posts | 92 
      • LFC - YNWA
      Reply #27: Jun 16, 2007 04:17:43 pm
      Cheers for that update mrtommo! I was a big fan of F1 when Ayrton Senna, Nigel Mansel, Damon Hill, Mika Hakinen and Michael Schumacher where in the cockpit but I kinda went off it over a period of time.

I completed the whole of the F1 '97 on the Playstation and was leading the drivers table in the last race. With 2 corners to go I checked my mirrors and saw Schumacher screaming up behind me. I panicked, twitched and span off into the scenery only to be overtaken and lose the title. So near and yet so far!

I do like a bit of Touring Cars and Superbikes, those guys are loonies!  :o :D
      mrtommo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,890 posts | 168 
      Reply #28: Jun 17, 2007 07:43:48 pm
      Result from todays GP in Indianapolis :-

1st  L. Hamilton    GB
      2nd F. Alonso       Sp
      3rd  F. Massa        Br
      RED1028
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,392 posts | 92 
      • LFC - YNWA
      Reply #29: Jun 17, 2007 08:15:41 pm
      Yeah, just watched the Indianapolis GP and Lewis Hamilton is on fire!
      What a fantastic drive today and brilliant performance on his debut season:

Races so far this season:

1: Ausrtailian GP - 3rd - Lewis' 3rd place is the best performance from a new F1 driver since 1996
      2: Malaysian GP - 2nd - Lewis did the fastest lap of the race with 1m36.701 on lap 22.
      3: Bahrain GP    - 2nd - Lewis finished on the podium for the third consecutive time.
      4: Spanish GP    - 2nd - Finished 6.7 seconds behind winner
      5: Monaco GP  - 2nd - Finished 4 secs behind winner
      6: Canadian GP  - 1st - Started on Pole Position
      7: American GP  - 1st - Started on Pole Position

Amazing Stats for an F1 rookie! Well done Lewis!  :champ: :champ: :champ: :champ: :champ: :champ: :champ:

« Last Edit: Jun 17, 2007 10:20:40 pm by RED1028 »
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #30: Jun 17, 2007 08:51:45 pm
      1: Ausrtailian GP - 3rd - Lewis' 3rd place is the best performance from a new F1 driver since 1996
      2: Malaysian GP - 2nd - Lewis did the fastest lap of the race with 1m36.701 on lap 22.
      3: Bahrain GP    - 2nd - Lewis finished on the podium for the third consecutive time.
      4: Spanish GP    - 2nd - Finished 6.7 seconds behind winner
      5: Moanaco GP  - 2nd - Finished 4 secs behind winner
      6: Canadian GP  - 1st - Started on Pole Position
      7: American GP  - 1st - Started on Pole Position

Not bad.

;)

Sports Personality of the Year methinks. Thought today's race was a bit boring but well won.  The question is: Is he just like Everton and can't win in Europe?
      batman0077
      • Forum Billy Liddell
      • Started Topic

• 564 posts |
      Reply #31: Jun 19, 2007 02:09:16 pm
      i was at that race. it was spectacular. i got pictures of ralf shumacher and his misshap on the first turn. it was amazing. wasn't the best race i've seen, but it was worth the money. at least it wasn't like the race in '05 when only the bridgestones raced. that was pathetic. we almost lost the race at that circuit. and there still making the contract deals right now. we'll know for sure if its coming back to Indy by July 12th. keep your fingers crossed.

GO HAMILTON!!!!!
      Sports Personality of the Year methinks. Thought today's race was a bit boring but well won.  The question is: Is he just like Everton and can't win in Europe?

thats funny JD, we'll see what the year brings us!
      mrtommo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,890 posts | 168 
      Reply #32: Jul 08, 2007 12:59:36 pm
      Good luck to Lewis today, he starts on pole at the British Grand Prix at Silverstone.
      The race starts at 13.00hrs and is live on ITV.
      EddieC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      Reply #33: Jul 08, 2007 02:36:07 pm
      Hamilton ended up third, Raikkonen (sp?) won it.

It says a lot for how well he's done that there's an air of disappoinment about Hamilton coming third.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #34: Jul 08, 2007 04:21:53 pm
      It seems to me like the winner of a Formula One race these days is decided on two factors

1) Position on the grid

2) Quality of pit-stop crew

What happened to good old fashioned over-taking?
      RED1028
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,392 posts | 92 
      • LFC - YNWA
      Reply #35: Jul 08, 2007 09:49:39 pm
      Despite starting on Pole position on his 1st Grand Prix on British soil Lewis Hamilton could only manage 3rd place and in fairness he was driving a tank today. The car wasn't up to scratch, that was clear, but 9 podium places from only 9 professional F1 starts - that is an amazing stat!

Nice to see the new Liverpool striker linking well with the midfield, Fernando Alonso came 2nd  ;)
      eAyeAddio
      • Forum Youth Player

• 8 posts | -1 
      Reply #36: Jul 20, 2007 12:01:09 pm

What happened to good old fashioned over-taking?

Oh, it still happens but now it's called MotoGP.

:oranje

« Last Edit: Jul 20, 2007 12:03:52 pm by eAyeAddio »
      priesty10
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,339 posts |
      • Rafa, Gone but not forgotten
      Reply #37: Jul 20, 2007 01:28:34 pm
      For all those who enjoy F1 you might wanna give this a try.

http://www.gpro.se/

I've just started and i'm in Rookie 39

its alright for free :)
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #38: Jul 21, 2007 03:59:39 pm
      http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/formula_one/6910032.stm

Hamilton Unhurt Following Crash

Lewis Hamilton was unhurt despite being taken away from the Nurburgring on a stretcher after a crash during qualifying for the European Grand Prix.

The Briton, 22, went into the tyre wall at the 'Schumacher S' bend and struggled to get out of his McLaren before medical assistance arrived.

McLaren boss Ron Dennis later said that Hamilton was "fine" but was unsure about his fitness for Sunday's race.

Hamilton was kept at the circuit's medical centre under observation.

"He has no pain, no broken bones and did not lose consciousness," said Dennis. "We won't decide for a couple of hours."

Dennis explained that the crash had occurred because the right-front wheel was not attached properly after a wheel gun failure.

"Effectively the wheel wasn't properly put on, but that's not the mechanic's fault," said Dennis.

"We are not quite sure what failed but in fact it was quite fortunate because the same gun was used on Fernando (Alonso)'s car and he hadn't started to lean on it yet.

"We could tell from that it was a gun failure. At least we know we don't have a problem with the car."

The qualifying session was red-flagged while Hamilton was attended to, and he was taken away on a stretcher, but was well enough to give a thumbs-up signal.

Officials confirmed that Hamilton had been conscious and speaking when he was taken by ambulance to the medical centre.

When qualifying restarted, Ferrari's Kimi Raikkonen took pole. Hamilton will start from 10th place on the grid if he is passed fit to race.
      batman0077
      • Forum Billy Liddell
      • Started Topic

• 564 posts |
      Reply #39: Jul 30, 2007 08:20:48 pm
      so, does anyone else care that ecklstone(?) took out the USGP from the schedule? i live about 100 km north of that circut, and now i won't get to see the greatest racing in the world for quite some time. (sigh) o well, at least hamilton won it. :)
      AJ

• 6,445 posts | 124 
      • Boom!
      Reply #40: Jul 30, 2007 09:19:28 pm
      so, does anyone else care that ecklstone(?) took out the USGP from the schedule? I live about 100 km north of that circut, and now I won't get to see the greatest racing in the world for quite some time. (sigh) o well, at least hamilton won it. :)

I hear old Bernie has been looking into a few premiership clubs regarding a possible takeover including Arsenal

He told BBC Sport :
       "If somebody offers me something I think is good value, I will have a go. I'm interested in anything if it's cheap enough."

He also admits he once opted to buy Chelsea with Renault boss Flavio Briatore some years go,

"Flavio and I were interested in Chelsea not so long ago," confirmed Ecclestone.

"I do go to Chelsea. Flav and I went to matches. I go when I've nothing else to do."

But then he added: "What problem would I be in with Chelsea if I bought Arsenal?"

Alas all is not lost for the holders of the glorious "Emirates Cup"

Well done Hamilton for winning both Canadian and American grand prix's.  Let's hope he's "Hungary" for success in the next meeting ;)

Andy
      batman0077
      • Forum Billy Liddell
      • Started Topic

• 564 posts |
      Reply #41: Jul 31, 2007 12:19:49 am
      I hear old Bernie has been looking into a few premiership clubs regarding a possible takeover including Arsenal

He told BBC Sport :
       "If somebody offers me something I think is good value, I will have a go. I'm interested in anything if it's cheap enough."

He also admits he once opted to buy Chelsea with Renault boss Flavio Briatore some years go,

"Flavio and I were interested in Chelsea not so long ago," confirmed Ecclestone.

"I do go to Chelsea. Flav and I went to matches. I go when I've nothing else to do."

But then he added: "What problem would I be in with Chelsea if I bought Arsenal?"

Alas all is not lost for the holders of the glorious "Emirates Cup"

Well done Hamilton for winning both Canadian and American grand prix's.  Let's hope he's "Hungary" for success in the next meeting ;)

Andy

o no. bernie isn't goin to ruin football. he's an evil old man. :)
      RED1028
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,392 posts | 92 
      • LFC - YNWA
      Reply #42: Oct 01, 2007 01:29:38 am
      I was driving down the M20 to the South coast this morning and I heard on the news that Lewis Hamilton had won the Japanese Grand Prix. I was made up for him for a few reasons.

1. Lewis has the chance to make history as the 1st rookie driver to win a Formula 1 title.
      2. He has worked so hard to achieve what he has accomplished and at such a young age, just 22!
      3. It would be fantastic to see a British driver lift the crown of World Champion!
      4. Given the intense rivalry from Alonso and the manner he comes across Lewis driving his way to victory with such skill and flair would be the perfect answer.
      5. He has incredible talent, vision, skill and ability and it would be so fitting to see him win the World title as a reward for his efforts.

Check out this video, Lewis Hamilton knows no fear...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5b8D0g0SmB0

(To check out more of his manouvres click on the menu tab
      and scroll to the video of your choice).

Official Race Report

Lewis Hamilton wins wet and wild Japanese Grand Prix, on verge of F1 title

OYAMA, Japan - Lewis Hamilton won a wet-and-wild Japanese Grand Prix on Sunday to move to the verge of the Formula One title with two races to go after his main rival and McLaren teammate Fernando Alonso crashed out of the race.

Heikki Kovalainen of Renault was second and Ferrari's Kimi Raikkonen finished third in a rain affected race that started behind the pace car and had spins, bumps and crashes throughout its 67 laps.

Hamilton now has a 12-point lead in the drivers standings - 107-95. He can win the world title in his rookie season at China next week if he finishes with at least an 11-point lead over defending champions Alonso.

Alonso can still win the title but needs a lot of luck.

Luck deserted him at the Fuji Speedway when he spun and hit the wall hard on the 42nd lap. His car stopped in the middle of the track with debris around him. The Spaniard was helped out of the car and stayed behind a fence for a few laps to contemplate what happened before leaving the scene of the accident.

Alonso said there was too much water on the track to control his car.

"When I was braking for turn five I just aquaplaned the car and spun," he said. "Unfortunately the walls at that corner are very close to the track so I hit the barrier heavily and that was it."

That led the way to Hamilton's fourth victory of the season, tying him with Alonso and Raikkonen for the most wins this year.

"I think for me one of the most, if not the most, difficult races I had to do. The conditions were changing so much," said Hamilton, who had to contend with spray, fog, and even had to clear up moisture inside his helmet.

Hamilton has a chance to become the first rookie to take the F1 title, and the Japanese brings him another step closer to an historic championship.

"It is a big boost in terms of confidence and my drive to be world champion," Hamilton said.

"There are two races to go. I need to knuckle down and I won't be going partying," he said. "The key for me is to focus on the next race and take it as it comes," Hamilton said.

Alonso, however, said he hasn't given up hopes of a third straight title.

"I'm not throwing in the towel, but unless there is a retirement from Hamilton we have to be realistic and see that it's very hard to recover six points per race," Alonso said.

There was a steady drizzle at the start of the race on a track that's been wet since Saturday. The race started behind the safety car to eliminate the danger of an accident on the first turn.

The cars were spraying rooster tails of water far behind them while turning laps nearly a minute slower than in Friday's dry conditions.

The first incident happened on the second lap when Ferrari's Felipe Massa slid out and then headed into the pits to change tires. His teammate Raikkonen soon followed after the team started on intermediate tires, but was told by the sports governing body FIA that they must be on extreme wets like all the other teams.

"Someone forgot to tell our team," Raikkonen said.

Hamilton and Alonso were in front and the Ferraris were in back although less than 30 seconds behind but nearly 20 cars between then.

Then after 18 laps the skies cleared somewhat and the safety car went in and there was racing again.

After 25 laps, Hamilton and Alonso were 2.7 seconds apart and more than 10 seconds ahead of rookie Sebastian Vettel in a Toro Rosso.

Hamilton was bumped by Robert Kubica and both spun briefly.

"I didn't see him. He was on the inside," said Hamilton. "I was very fortunate to still finish. I felt a vibration and thought something wrong with the car. I had it the rest of the race."

A little later Alonso and Vettel had an identical incident.

Kubica was later penalized for his part and earned a drive-through penalty, but Alonso suffered worse.

"I think the car was damaged quite a bit by that but I was able to continue," Alonso said.

All the pit stops were cleared with 25 laps to go as Hamilton regained the lead.

No sooner had Hamilton regained the lead than Alonso's race was over. He spun and hit the wall hard, spinning his car across the wet track like a figure-skater on ice doing turns.

The safety car came out for a few laps, and Mark Webber and Vettel collided while second and third to finish their tilts at the podium.

Hamilton maintained the lead without a problem the rest of the way.

Kovalainen and Raikkonen fought tooth and nail over the final lap, with the Finnish Ferrari driver overtaking his compatriot twice before Kovalainen came back immediately to regain second and finish on the podium for the first time.

"Everybody has asked me about the last few laps with Kimi but my mirrors had steamed up completely and I couldn't see him," Kovalainen said. "He got past me into turn five on the final lap but I wanted (second) so much that I went back round the outside on the way down to turn 10."

Behind them, David Coulthard of Red Bull was fourth with Renault's Giancarlo Fisichella fifth. Massa ended up sixth with Kubica seventh.

Raikkonen now has 90 points for the season and still has a mathematical chance to take the title.

The rivalry between Hamilton and Alonso
      with a Special Guest appearance...
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-AQGohc3zI
      « Last Edit: Oct 07, 2007 12:11:36 am by RED1028 »
      AJ

• 6,445 posts | 124 
      • Boom!
      Reply #43: Oct 06, 2007 11:58:47 pm
      Who's watching the Shanghai F1 race tomorrow then? Hamilton is on pole with Alonso in forth sandwiching the two Ferrari's so hopefully he has a pretty good chance.  Also the weather forcast for tomorrow is scattered showers so if he drives like he did last weekend it's in the bag.  Button should have a good race too as I remember he won the Hungarian race last year in similar wet conditions, but the teams are likely to start on the wet tyres as a precaution anyway.

Full starting grid

1. Hamilton
      2. Raikkonen
      3. Massa
      4. Alonso
      5. Coulthard
      6. R Schumacher
      7. Webber
      8. Heidfeld
      9. Kubica
      10. Button
      11. Liuzzi
      12. Vettel
      13. Trulli
      14. Kovalaninen
      15. Davidson
      16. Barichello
      17. Rosberg
      18. Fisichella
      19. Wurz
      20. Sato
      21. Sutil
      22. Yamamoto

RED1028
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,392 posts | 92 
      • LFC - YNWA
      Reply #44: Oct 07, 2007 12:12:49 am
      October 07, 2007

Who's watching the Shanghai F1 race tomorrow then?

Best of British to Lewis Hamilton

With just 2 races left of the 2007 Grand Prix season Lewis Hamilton has the opportunity to rewrite the Formula 1 record books. Hamilton needs to finish 5th or higher to become the youngest ever F1 champion aged 22. His closet rival and team mate Fernando Alonso needs to finish with 12 points from 2 races with Hamilton not scoring any points from the final 2 races. This scenario is highly unlikely, Hamilton starts the Chinese Grand Prix on pole position.

The race is live on ITV at 6am on Sunday morning.

Alonso still wondering what happened as Hamilton takes pole in China

SHANGHAI, China - Fernando Alonso couldn't figure what went wrong in qualifying for the Chinese Grand Prix on Saturday.

The Spaniard had dominated his title rival and McLaren teammate Lewis Hamilton in all practice sessions before qualifying, yet when it mattered he ended up fourth and Hamilton took pole.

"It was frustrating. We are fighting for the world championship and to be fourth is not the best position," Alonso said. "With the battle between Ferrari and McLaren, to be fourth is a very big job. You have to overtake three cars in front of you with the same level. The job is very tough."

Even in the first two parts of qualifying, Alonso was looking strong.

"I was looking very confident and optimistic for Q3 (third qualifying session)," Alonso said.

"When I crossed the line with the first set of tires, I was very, very happy with the lap and I asked what are the positions at the moment. They told me fourth and I was surprised," Alonso said. "I felt the lap was nearly at the maximum."

"Then we put the soft tires. I improved another two tenths and the lap was extremely good again and the car balance was very good.

"I expected to be fighting for the pole or a very good position and then I realized I was still in fourth and even a bigger gap to pole position."

Unless he can turn it around on Sunday, Alonso's two-year reign as champion will end at the hands of his British teammate, even though both have won four races this year.

Hamilton heads into the race with 107 points, a 12-point lead over Alonso. Hamilton will become the first rookie to clinch the title if he finishes ahead of Alonso, or maintains at least an 11-point margin with only the Brazilian Grand Prix to go.

Alonso won the title for the past two years with Renault, then moved to McLaren and was expected to have a comfortable season with a rookie as teammate.

However McLaren's policy of giving equal status to its drivers and Hamilton's surprising ability in his first year ruined those expectations, along with problems off the track.

The McLaren-Ferrari dispute over the possession of technical data, Alonso's penalty at the Hungarian GP for hampering Hamilton and friction within the team contributed to Alonso's woes.

"We spoke more about things outside the circuit than inside," Alonso said. "We have been all year listening and reading a lot of things outside the track and some of the decisions also didn't help the people outside Formula One to understand the sport."

However Alonso didn't help himself. He crashed out in the Japanese GP last week while Hamilton took the win.

Should 22-year-old Hamilton win the championship, he would break Alonso's record as the youngest driver to win the title.

But...  :f_doh:
      It all goes pear shaped as Hamilton spins off into the gravel trap on the entrance into the pit lane to change from worn out wet tyres. Team mate Alonso had been running 10 seconds a lap faster at this point and is now 2nd at the time of writing.
      « Last Edit: Oct 07, 2007 08:10:05 am by RED1028 »
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #45: Oct 07, 2007 08:08:17 am
      Hamilton retires from the Chinese GP.  Looks like it's going to go down to the last race....!

Quick Reply