Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P27 W14 D8 L5

Formula 1

Read 577718 times
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Re: Formula 1
      Reply #3197: Nov 30, 2015 04:22:28 pm
      Now lets hope Ferrari, Renault & Honda have good winters.

if they don't F1 is in trouble
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #3198: Dec 21, 2015 05:28:35 pm
      The BBC have inevitably given up on F1 and have pulled out of their contract three years early meaning the 10 race contract moves over to Channel 4.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,611 posts | 3844 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #3199: Dec 21, 2015 10:36:33 pm
      The BBC have inevitably given up on F1 and have pulled out of their contract three years early meaning the 10 race contract moves over to Channel 4.

Beancounters stripping the Beeb of almost all it's top line sport.
      Sad days.

Thankfully C4 saying it will be ad free.
      Will hurt the ratings of F1 in the UK.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,255 posts | 4932 
      Reply #3200: Dec 21, 2015 10:38:43 pm
      Beancounters stripping the Beeb of almost all it's top line sport.
      Sad days.

Thankfully C4 saying it will be ad free.
      Will hurt the ratings of F1 in the UK.

Sad days indeed. One of the things I always think the BBC should be doing is covering live sport.

As free on Ch4 is good news but just think of the amount of ads before and after the race they're going to throw in to make up for that.
      « Last Edit: Dec 21, 2015 10:48:51 pm by srslfc »
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,611 posts | 3844 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #3201: Dec 21, 2015 10:46:19 pm
      Sad days indeed. One of the things I always think the BBC should be doing is covering live sport.

As free on Ch4 is good news by just think of be amount of ads before and after the race they're going to throw in to make up for that.

You can't beat a BBC intro though.
      I'll miss that, and the chain.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,255 posts | 4932 
      Reply #3202: Dec 21, 2015 10:48:23 pm

Indeed.

I'll miss all of it mate. I really like the BBC coverage of F1.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,449 posts | 4584 
      Reply #3203: Dec 21, 2015 11:04:53 pm

If it's one thing that the BBC gets right it's sport coverage,it's tragic why they can't hold onto the sporting rights even after being funded by the public.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,611 posts | 3844 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #3204: Dec 21, 2015 11:45:39 pm
      If it's one thing that the BBC gets right it's sport coverage,it's tragic why they can't hold onto the sporting rights even after being funded by the public.

Because their budget has been slashed and sport has been the first thing to go.
      Blame whoever allocates funds at Government level.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #3205: Jan 01, 2016 04:43:15 pm
      Indeed.

I'll miss all of it mate. I really like the BBC coverage of F1.

Will miss it as well. It's a crying shame what is happening to BBC funding. I wouldn't mind paying a bit more for my license fee if it meant more major live sport but that's not going to happen as there's a freeze. Sadly the government seem hell bent on doing as much as they can to limit the corporation while doing all they can to let Murdoch usurp every media outlet in this country.

Don't have a problem with true sport on commercial broadcasters as I grew up watching f1 on ITV (which for it's time broke boundaries in f1 coverage as I understand - even if they did have annoying ad breaks).

I think Channel 4 will do an interesting job with f1. They did the Paralympics well and their cricket coverage was great.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #3206: Feb 13, 2016 11:03:35 pm

Pushing the limits!
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,611 posts | 3844 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #3207: Feb 13, 2016 11:12:27 pm
      Wall of Champions.
       :action-smiley-035:
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #3208: Feb 13, 2016 11:20:23 pm

Doubt you could wedge a cigarette paper between the wall and Michael's rear right! From 2002 that photo. What a corner, what a car, what a driver.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,991 posts | 2710 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #3209: Feb 13, 2016 11:30:09 pm
      New season can't come fast enough  xxxxx:action-smiley-065:
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #3210: Feb 13, 2016 11:33:32 pm
      I'm looking forward to seeing how much of an improvement McLaren make going into the new season. Something tells me it's going to be another season of the same sh*t where Honda have spent tokens with nothing to show for it.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,611 posts | 3844 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #3211: Feb 14, 2016 03:18:03 pm
      I'm looking forward to seeing how much of an improvement McLaren make going into the new season. Something tells me it's going to be another season of the same sh*t where Honda have spent tokens with nothing to show for it.

If they haven't sorted the turbo and ERS they'll struggle to beat Manor this season never mind anyone else.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,255 posts | 4932 
      Reply #3212: Feb 14, 2016 06:34:51 pm
      If they haven't sorted the turbo and ERS they'll struggle to beat Manor this season never mind anyone else.

Yep.

Keen to see how Haas do.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #3213: Feb 14, 2016 08:14:19 pm

Some big management changes! Effectively the Mercedes b team now, got Merc engines and have hired a glut of highly esteemed f1 figures onto the payroll. I fully expect them to beat McLaren as well!
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,611 posts | 3844 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #3214: Feb 14, 2016 08:28:06 pm
      Some big management changes! Effectively the Mercedes b team now, got Merc engines and have hired a glut of highly esteemed f1 figures onto the payroll. I fully expect them to beat McLaren as well!

Mercedes engine.
      Mercedes uber prospect.
      Williams gearbox.
      Beefing up the staff.

I expect them to be stronger this season.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #3215: Feb 22, 2016 02:16:00 am
      For those interested in what 2016 may have in store for McLaren, read James Allen's excellent blog post.

New McLaren breaks cover, but second half of the F1 season will really count

McLaren launched its 2016 challenger this morning, powered by a ‘new’ Honda engine, which features significant new design areas.

The message from the team is upbeat, even extending to their comments about the ‘robust’ commercial sponsorship roster the team enjoys, even when the car reveals many high-value blank spaces, such as the side pods. Chandon has upped the ante and, contrary to reports last season, Johnnie Walker is still visible on the drivers.

To be fair, McLaren does things slightly differently from other teams in that a number of its blue chip sponsors aren’t interested in being large stickers on the car; they spend their money offline and leverage their sponsorship through the drivers, hospitality or another areas of collaboration with the team. They use McLaren as a way of being in F1 and having an F1 story to tell, in other words.

But onto the car; it’s a sleeker design than last year’s. Peter Prodromou, formerly Adrian Newey’s right hand aero man at Red Bull, has had more time to curate the aerodynamics than with last year’s model.

Clearly the key will be the Honda engine in its second season; will it be more powerful, will the drivers be able to compete fully in all areas of the track with deployment of the ERS boost and will it be reliable? Fernando Alonso used three seasons’ worth of engines last year. That cannot happen again.

But there is another, more subtle aspect to dealing with engine woes, which has a huge carryover effect on the chassis efficiency and the way the car works as a package.

The key question here is, at what point in the 2015 season did McLaren and Honda face up to their engine problems and set a path for 2016 design and architecture on the 2016 engine? If it was only in May or later, then this car will carry a number of compromises and carry-over problems, as the main architecture of a new F1 chassis design needs to be locked in around April/May.

When you are competing against teams like Mercedes and Ferrari, who have their own engine makers next door, you are up against cars that are conceived as a single entity; with the engine and chassis in total harmony. That is the key to Mercedes’ success in the last two seasons and it’s the reason why Ferrari is coming back strongly at them now, ahead of any of the other ‘big’ teams, like McLaren or Red Bull.

McLaren versus Red Bull spats

Interestingly, there is a delicious sub-text running through McLaren’s release documents today, issuing a ‘hands-off’ message to Red Bull with regards to the Honda engine. Christian Horner pushed hard to get the Hondas and continues to seek a supply for 2017; he has successfully got the FIA to agree to a change in the regulations that the manufacturers must supply all the teams, so he doesn’t have a repeat of last Autumn when Red Bull couldn’t find anyone to dance with. But we haven’t seen the precise wording yet.

Incidentally, words are chosen carefully at moments like today’s announcement and McLaren’s communications head Matt Bishop is a master of the subtext. McLaren is putting up two fingers towards Red Bull with statements like, “The striking and innovative MP4-31 chassis integrates the new Honda RA616H power unit, developed exclusively for the team.”

Another is Ron Dennis’ stinger, “We maintain an indefatigable commitment to the winning potential of a full works team. Believe me: the full works backing of a multinational automotive manufacturer is the only platform from which real success in modern Formula 1 can be achieved. As McLaren-Honda, therefore, we’ve vowed to work together, and to win together.”

Christian Horner will have chuckled over his morning cornflakes at that. He nicked TAG Heuer from McLaren as a sponsor and persuaded the watch company to brand his Renault engine this year. For 2017 he would love to go one better and get a supply of Honda engines. Dennis will have sentries out with long handled pikes to try to stop that. We’ll see what the wording of the 2017 FIA regulations says, regarding a manufacturer and the minimum number of teams it must supply with engines, in the next few weeks.

Watch out for Red Bull vs McLaren spats over engines and other matters in 2016. And, on the face of it, Red Bull is probably the level McLaren is targeting to race at this season.

Both drivers are on message, with the predictable ‘all for one and one for all’ solidarity after a nightmare 2015 season. All eyes will be on Fernando Alonso in the next two weeks of testing. He’s a keen poker player but he’s not very good at hiding his body language ‘tells’, as a true Las Vegas high roller would.

If we see the hunched shoulders and the dark eyes, then things are not looking positive. I’d be surprised if he sat out the season on sabbatical, but better informed people than I believe it’s possible if the car is a dud and Dennis hardly ruled it out in his media briefing in Abu Dhabi.

So what can we expect from McLaren for 2016? A better performance than 2015 for sure, but on the sliding scale from where they were last year to where Mercedes and Ferrari are, they could be anywhere. One would suspect that they’ll compete around the top ten from the outset and score solid points on a regular basis.

It will be a season of two halves for McLaren. The new rules freeing up areas manufacturers can work on in development of their engines in 2016 mean that the brakes are off for Honda this year. They should be able to fix problems and develop quickly using their 32 tokens wisely. There are no longer any ‘locked in’ problems like Honda had last year.

This is McLaren and Honda’s saving grace for 2016 and on that basis, although we haven’t seen the car running yet, one would imagine that they should reach the podium this year with this car.

http://www.jamesallenonf1.com/2016/02/new-mclaren-breaks-cover-but-second-half-of-the-f1-season-will-really-count/

It's hard to tolerate the racing aspect of F1 these days particularly after last season's forgettable bordering on offensive levels of entertainment. Seeing two of the greatest F1 drivers of the last couple of decades trundling around at the back and retiring all over the place was perhaps amongst the most pathetic sights I've seen in this sport. Yes, the design of the Honda engine and McLaren car get the brunt of the stick but for me it was all down the fault of the rule makers. The constant chopping and changing and restrictive technical rules they impose nowadays is killing the sport along with the garish, nightmare spectacles from the most undeserving of motor racing nations like Abu Dhabi. Maybe 2016 will be better. Maybe we'll see Ferrari competing for both titles, McLaren back on the podium and Bernie popping his clogs on the Monza track he is threatening to take away from us. Maybe.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,991 posts | 2710 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #3216: Feb 22, 2016 07:16:02 am
      Come on Hammy, let's smash it again this season.  ;D
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #3217: Feb 23, 2016 12:28:22 am

Loving the livery for the new Haas F1 team. Seems an ambitious project almost BAR like! Kudos to the Red Bull for their new livery - looks very sleek and stark.

Oh and good news - The new McLaren completed 84 laps today in the hands of Jenson Button. That's an improvement on the 6 laps they completed on the first day of testing last year. Vettel topped the times overall completing 69 laps but Hamilton who finished the day second, completed a mammoth 156 laps!!

http://www.jamesallenonf1.com/2016/02/sebastian-vettel-tops-f1-test-for-ferrari-as-mercedes-racks-up-450-miles-on-day-one/
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,611 posts | 3844 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #3218: Feb 24, 2016 01:47:21 pm
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,255 posts | 4932 
      Reply #3219: Feb 24, 2016 03:37:07 pm

Quick Reply