Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 19th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P32 W19 D8 L5

Formula 1

Read 575597 times
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,421 posts | 4581 
      Re: Formula 1
      Reply #3611: Jan 23, 2017 07:10:22 pm

Was the only role for him after the takeover..

Will be missed though..
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #3612: Jan 23, 2017 09:15:56 pm
      Was the only role for him after the takeover..

Will be missed though..

He outlived his usefulness for much of the past decade I think but it's no coincidence that his uselessness in that time also coincided with CVC's ownership of the sport . Easy to blame him for F1's problems today but doing so would be letting previous owners CVC off the hook who are as much to, if not more, to blame for the marginalisation and pricing out of the fans. But that's equity firms for you. Horrible global parasites.

But I suppose at the end of the day the way in which he expanded the sport into the massive world sport it is today, claiming hundreds of millions of new fans along the way, was an impressive feat. Hard to think of an individual who has had as much influence over the direction of a sport as much as he has.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #3613: Jan 23, 2017 11:47:54 pm
      The changes have been swift in f1 tonight. Presenting the new rulers of F1 - Chase Carey, Sean Bratches and Ross Brawn.

Ross Brawn returns to Formula 1 in senior Liberty role

Former Mercedes team principal Ross Brawn has returned to Formula 1 after being handed a senior role by new owner Liberty Media.

Brawn has been named managing director, motorsports by Liberty as part of the restructure that includes Bernie Ecclestone's ousting as chief executive.

The 62-year-old won 19 world titles across stints with Williams, Benetton, Ferrari and his own Brawn GP outfit, and left F1 at the end of the 2013 season after four years with Mercedes.

Brawn said: "It's fantastic to be returning to the world of Formula 1.

"I've enjoyed consulting with Liberty Media these last few months and I'm looking forward to working with Chase [Carey], Sean [Bratches] and the rest of the Formula 1 team to help the evolution of the sport.

"We have an almost unprecedented opportunity to work together with the teams and promoters for a better F1 for them and, most importantly, for the fans."

Chairman Chase Carey, Ecclestone's successor as CEO, said: "I am delighted to welcome Ross back to Formula 1.

"In his 40 years in the sport, he's brought his magic touch to every team with which he has worked, has almost unparalleled technical knowledge, experience and relationships, and I have already benefitted greatly from his advice and expertise."

Brawn will be joined by former ESPN executive vice president of sales and marketing Sean Bratches, who takes on the role of managing director, commercial operations.

"I am thrilled Sean is joining Formula 1," Carey said.

"Sean was a driving force in building ESPN into one of the world's leading sports franchises.

"His expertise and experience in sales, marketing, digital media, and distribution will be invaluable as we grow Formula 1.

"I look forward to working with Ross and Sean, as well as key current executives including Duncan Llowarch our CFO and Sacha Woodward Hill, our general counsel, the FIA, [F1 chairman emeritus] Bernie and Liberty as we work together to make Formula 1 the best it can be for the teams, promoters and fans for years to come."

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/127860/brawn-returns-to-f1-in-senior-liberty-role

With Ross Brawn in at the top this can only be great news for the sport.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,421 posts | 4581 
      Reply #3614: Jan 24, 2017 01:16:05 am
      Brawn back? Wow...

Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #3615: Jan 25, 2017 06:03:05 pm

Ross Brawn eyes Formula 1 changes to make sport 'purer and simpler'

Formula 1's new racing boss Ross Brawn says he wants to develop a purer, simpler sport in which more teams and drivers can win.

The ex-Mercedes team boss, who has been appointed managing director of racing by F1's new owner, was critical of some rule changes of recent years.

Brawn said he wanted to "narrow the gap between the top and bottom" of the field and give F1 a broader appeal.

"I have ideas we should study and perhaps use in 2018 or 19," he said.

Brawn pointed to the example of football's Premier League, where Leicester City were able to transform themselves from relegation candidates to champions in the space of 12 months and on a limited budget.

The 62-year-old said: "We all know the analogy of Leicester City - that would be the ideal in F1, when a good team on a great year with a great driver could really mount a challenge. But at the moment that's not really possible."

Brawn is a member of a new senior management team appointed following the removal of Bernie Ecclestone from his position as chief executive.

American media executive Chase Carey, who was appointed president when new owner Liberty Media began its takeover in September, has now also taken on Ecclestone's former title.

Brawn is heading up the sporting and technical side of Liberty's business and former ESPN sales and marketing chief Sean Bratches is to run the commercial side.

What needs to change?

Carey has outlined plans to better promote the sport, by making more of grands prix as events in their host country and with a much wider use of digital media.

Brawn's job is to hone the on-track show to make it more appealing after criticism it has become predictable and has lost some of its edge in recent years.

He was critical of decisions made by Ecclestone, such as the adoption of a double-points finale in 2014 and a short-lived attempt to change the format of qualifying at the start of last season.

He told BBC Sport: "These have been short-term, knee-jerk reactions and that is exactly what we mustn't do.

"We need to stabilise the small teams and get them on a better financial footing.

"We need to reduce the scope of the technology because there is too big a gap between the bigger and smaller teams."

He also hinted he wanted to remove the controversial drag reduction system, an overtaking aid that drivers can use at the press of a button to give them a boost in straight-line speed.

"We need to make sure there is no artificial solutions," Brawn said. "The drag reduction system; everyone knows it's artificial. We need to find purer solutions.

"We need to think through the solutions. I have ideas - I can't share them all with you because I want to share them with the teams first - but I have ideas of things we should start to study and perhaps use in '18 or '19."

Will the technology have to change?

Brawn said the high-technology aspect of F1 was a crucial part of its appeal but added: "You must balance the technology with the sporting side."

He indicated he would be open to trying to change the turbo hybrid engines introduced in 2014, which have seen revolutionary steps forward in terms of fuel efficiency but which have been criticised for being too expensive and sounding dull.

"That is something we need to discuss with the teams," Brawn said. "They have made a huge investment in these engines so you can't just discard them and say: 'We are going to change the engines.'

"But how do we get from where we are today to where we want to be in two or three years' time with a great racing engine that everyone admires and enjoys?"

Could a driver at a smaller team win the F1 title?

Part of the reason for the lack of competitiveness is the huge spread of budgets between the front and back of the grid.

Brawn said: "The level of resource the top teams are using has made an enormous gap. My nirvana would be you get slightly odd circumstances and suddenly a team from the back wins. But at the moment you have two or three teams who can win and we need to spread that."

He said a budget cap was a "delicate" issue, but added: "It has never really been tried, it was never fully adopted by Formula 1, and I think we should at least discuss it again and see if there's potential."

But he said there were other ways of closing up the field.

"We have to see if we can develop the rules to reward innovation less," Brawn said. "Because as it is now innovation is heavily rewarded and if you can afford it, the slope is still quite steep - more money, faster cars. If we can flatten that off with the regulations that would go in the right direction."

He also said he would like to try to establish a 'draft' system for promoting drivers from junior categories so the drivers who make it into F1 were there "purely on merit".

Historically, some drivers at the back of the grid have paid for their seats in F1.

"What I'd love to see is a proper progression of talent into F1 where you could even introduce a draft system where the guys who win the GP2 or Formula 2 are available for the lower teams to use in their first year or two in Formula 1."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/38734708

racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,595 posts | 3839 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #3616: Jan 25, 2017 08:06:39 pm
      Excited to see Brawn return to guide the sport. Very excited.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #3617: Jan 25, 2017 08:16:36 pm
      Excited to see Brawn return to guide the sport. Very excited.

Me too. Read his book with Adam Parr called Total Competition before Christmas. Such a great read with really eye opening views on leadership. Always been a man with no heirs and graces about him that was evidenced throughout his career. Being a massive fan of the Ferrari team he was a part of I especially loved his insight of the culture change that occurred in the factory when he was Technical Director that turned them into such a dominant force. Add his tales from Benetton, Honda/Brawn and Mercedes to his thoughts on where F1 is heading and you have one of the best books on f1 I've ever read. Thoroughly recommend it to anyone interested in qualities of leadership as well as any f1 fan casual or hardcore.

His success in the sport is all the more remarkable when he notes that he was a fairly average students who came from an apprenticeship background as opposed to being a whizz kid undertaking an engineering degree at Oxbridge.

There really is no better man in the world to lead the sport than this guy.
      « Last Edit: Jan 25, 2017 08:26:49 pm by Frankly, Mr Shankly »
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,595 posts | 3839 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #3618: Jan 25, 2017 08:25:38 pm
      Me too. Read his book with Adam Parr called Total Competition before Christmas. Such a great read with really eye opening views on leadership. Always been a man with no heirs and graces about him that was underlined by his roles in the sport. Being a massive fan of the Ferrari team he was apart of I especially loved his insight of the culture change that occurred in the factory when he was Technical Director that turned them into such a dominant force. Add his tales from Benetton, Honda/Brawn and Mercedes to his thoughts on where F1 is heading and you have one of the best books on f1 I've ever read. Thoroughly recommend it to anyone interested qualities of leadership as well as any f1 fan casual or hardcore.

His success in the sport is all the more remarkable when he notes that he was a fairly average students who came from an apprenticeship background as opposed to being a whizz kid undertaking an engineering degree at Oxbridge.

There really is no better man in the world to lead the sport than this guy.

Snap. I bought a few copies and gave it to people for Christmas. :D
      He's a genius. No doubt about. Phenomenal people management skills.

Hopefully his reign over F1 will be as successful as his reign over Ferrari.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #3619: Jan 25, 2017 08:29:19 pm
      Snap. I bought a few copies and gave it to people for Christmas. :D
      He's a genius. No doubt about. Phenomenal people management skills.

Hopefully his reign over F1 will be as successful as his reign over Ferrari.

AND what's very important for the sport is that he resumes his working relationship with Jean Todt a decade after they left Ferrari. Will be interesting to see how that develops once more.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,595 posts | 3839 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #3620: Jan 25, 2017 08:32:56 pm
      AND what's very important for the sport is that he resumes his working relationship with Jean Todt a decade after they left Ferrari. Will be interesting to see how that develops.

More respectful then what happened previously.
      Can't imagine Mercedes are sitting comfortably given his claims for leaving.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #3621: Jan 25, 2017 08:48:32 pm
      More respectful then what happened previously.
      Can't imagine Mercedes are sitting comfortably given his claims for leaving.

Exactly what I thought earlier today. Must be the only situation in his career where he left a team on fairly acrimonious terms.

p.s - do you think we'll see the end of DRS? I'd be well up for it - silly Mario Kart like gimmick. Can't be doing with overtakes where no driver skill is put into it.
      « Last Edit: Jan 25, 2017 09:00:58 pm by Frankly, Mr Shankly »
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,595 posts | 3839 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #3622: Jan 25, 2017 09:08:14 pm
      Exactly what I thought earlier today. Must be the only situation in his career where he left a team on fairly acrimonious terms.

p.s - do you think we'll see the end of DRS? I'd be well up for it - silly Mario Kart like gimmick. Can't be doing with overtakes where no driver skill is put into it.

Seems to be Toto's MO.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #3623: Feb 08, 2017 11:55:36 pm
      https://www.formula1.com/en/video/2017/2/Montoya_uncut__Juan_Pablo_on_his_F1_career_and_the_current_grid.html

Juan Pablo Montoya interview on the f1 website. Fantastic, entertaining driver.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,145 posts | 4897 
      Reply #3624: Feb 09, 2017 12:54:28 am

Must have a look.

Seen him on Legends of F1 the other week and it was interesting.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #3625: Feb 14, 2017 08:38:51 pm
      https://twitter.com/LienhardRacing/status/831246557374726145

Watkins Glen and 1960s f1 in all its glory. If that was today there'd be concrete walls and 30ft fences on either side and the trees would have been chopped down for your standard 5 mile tarmac run offs butchered for millions of pounds by Hermann Tilke.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #3626: Feb 22, 2017 06:10:11 pm

Nice comparison.

Ugly shark fin makes a return to the cars. Cars promised to go 4 seconds a lap faster. We'll see.

« Last Edit: Feb 22, 2017 06:24:33 pm by Frankly, Mr Shankly »
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,421 posts | 4581 
      Reply #3627: Feb 22, 2017 09:32:58 pm

Nice comparison.

Ugly shark fin makes a return to the cars. Cars promised to go 4 seconds a lap faster. We'll see.

I love the Fin & the rear end looks like a beast...

Looking forward to RB,Maclaren & Merc livery's...
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #3628: Feb 22, 2017 10:24:18 pm

I suppose I'll get used to it - certainly not as ugly as the dipped dongle nose and other atrocities in recent times! Definitely looking forward to see what Mercedes and McLaren have in store for us.

There seems to a bit of criticism around that these new changes will only make racing more difficult. But the weird thing is, the last time the cars were this aggressive in terms of grip was 2008 before the massive aero changes in 2009. And that year was the best season I'd ever witnessed. Lewis winning on the last corner in Brazil, 5 different teams winning and 7 different drivers winning in the Grand Prixs. F1 drivers have had it too easy in recent years compared to what they had to drive in the 00s!
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,595 posts | 3839 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #3629: Feb 23, 2017 09:52:21 am

I suppose I'll get used to it - certainly not as ugly as the dipped dongle nose and other atrocities in recent times! Definitely looking forward to see what Mercedes and McLaren have in store for us.

There seems to a bit of criticism around that these new changes will only make racing more difficult. But the weird thing is, the last time the cars were this aggressive in terms of grip was 2008 before the massive aero changes in 2009. And that year was the best season I'd ever witnessed. Lewis winning on the last corner in Brazil, 5 different teams winning and 7 different drivers winning in the Grand Prixs. F1 drivers have had it too easy in recent years compared to what they had to drive in the 00s!

Big fan of the Renault. Although the blue version looks better.
      That Force India is terrible though. Phallic nose and an 8 x 4 as a fin.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,145 posts | 4897 
      Reply #3630: Feb 23, 2017 12:00:04 pm
      Big fan of the Renault. Although the blue version looks better.
      That Force India is terrible though. Phallic nose and an 8 x 4 as a fin.

Yep. The Renault looks well.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,145 posts | 4897 
      Reply #3631: Feb 23, 2017 12:10:48 pm
      Looks like Mercedes doesn't have the huge fin that the others have.

Car looks great.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #3632: Feb 23, 2017 04:20:20 pm
      Looks like Mercedes doesn't have the huge fin that the others have.

Car looks great.

Yeah looks fantastic. Really like the updated livery and the luminous green lines. Can't wait to see Lewis and Valtarri going full pelt in it this season.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,421 posts | 4581 
      Reply #3633: Feb 23, 2017 04:26:40 pm
      Yeah looks fantastic. Really like the updated livery and the luminous green lines. Can't wait to see Lewis and Valtarri going full pelt in it this season.

I find it boring? Prefer the Renault beast..

Quick Reply