Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 26th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W15 D7 L2

Formula 1

Read 577086 times
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Re: Formula 1
      Reply #3703: Apr 07, 2017 10:26:41 pm
      How long will it be before Fernando says 'enough is enough'?

Not long I don't think.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #3704: Apr 08, 2017 02:06:38 pm
      Hamilton pole lap nearly 4 seconds faster than Rosberg's fastest lap from last year! Sensational lap - these new cars look f**king awesome!
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,971 posts | 2708 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #3705: Apr 08, 2017 03:04:44 pm
      Hamilton pole lap nearly 4 seconds faster than Rosberg's fastest lap from last year! Sensational lap - these new cars look f**king awesome!

Great qualifying session wasn't it shanks  :) Hammy once again proving without doubt he's the fastest so driver again. Vettel defo in a more reliable motor now. Alonso must be feeling sick  :lmao:
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #3706: Apr 08, 2017 03:18:02 pm
      Great qualifying session wasn't it shanks  :) Hammy once again proving without doubt he's the fastest so driver again. Vettel defo in a more reliable motor now. Alonso must be feeling sick  :lmao:

But wait...rain forecast for tomorrow! Who knows what that could provide.

Thought Alonso did another heroic job in that McLaren myself. 13th is doing well to cover that Honda's deficit. Fernando did say that the car was as good as anything in the slow corners. It's just once he has to deploy that so called power unit by Honda that all the time disappears!
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,971 posts | 2708 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #3707: Apr 08, 2017 03:44:30 pm
      But wait...rain forecast for tomorrow! Who knows what that could provide.

Thought Alonso did another heroic job in that McLaren myself. 13th is doing well to cover that Honda's deficit. Fernando did say that the car was as good as anything in the slow corners. It's just once he has to deploy that so called power unit by Honda that all the time disappears!

Pound for pound I've always had Alonso the biggest threat to Hammy if he was in a similar racing car. However, never forgave him when he purposely stayed in the pits to hold Hammy up when they were on the same team.

In the wet!! Is  anyone better than Hammy??
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #3708: Apr 08, 2017 04:28:18 pm
      Pound for pound I've always had Alonso the biggest threat to Hammy if he was in a similar racing car. However, never forgave him when he purposely stayed in the pits to hold Hammy up when they were on the same team.

In the wet!! Is  anyone better than Hammy??

Agree - remember Hamilton's greatest victory at Silverstone 2008 came in the wet. Won it by nearly a minute didn't he while his championship rival Massa spun off five times.

I thought Alonso's behaviour in 2007 was pretty reprehensible and his inability to win more than two world championships stems from his decision to torpedo his relationship with McLaren back then and prefer to go back to a relatively uncompetitive Renault team. Quite incredible then that he ended back up at McLaren, shaking hands with Ron Dennis and everything.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,438 posts | 4582 
      Reply #3709: Apr 08, 2017 05:09:47 pm
      Agree - remember Hamilton's greatest victory at Silverstone 2008 came in the wet. Won it by nearly a minute didn't he while his championship rival Massa spun off five times.

I thought Alonso's behaviour in 2007 was pretty reprehensible and his inability to win more than two world championships stems from his decision to torpedo his relationship with McLaren back then and prefer to go back to a relatively uncompetitive Renault team. Quite incredible then that he ended back up at McLaren, shaking hands with Ron Dennis and everything.

Not keen on Alonso..decision making is sh*te though... ;D
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #3710: Apr 08, 2017 05:13:21 pm
      Not keen on Alonso..decision making is sh*te though... ;D

Bit like Michael Owen with his career choices!
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,438 posts | 4582 
      Reply #3711: Apr 08, 2017 05:25:56 pm
      Bit like Michael Owen with his career choices!

Probably share the same advisors..
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #3712: Apr 08, 2017 09:44:52 pm
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ufyx9dD6yqI

This is a great video. Hamilton's pole lap, complete with annotated wheel adjustments - 16 adjustments, 26 upshifts, 26 downshifts. Really highlights how much work an f1 driver is doing behind the wheel and that's not even displaying what he's doing with his feet. Multi tasking at the most extreme level.

And just for reference - 2016 pole lap v 2017 pole lap.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mtwkn8PNWqs
      « Last Edit: Apr 08, 2017 09:50:58 pm by Frankly, Mr Shankly »
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,631 posts | 6940 
      Reply #3713: Apr 09, 2017 01:55:58 am
      Everyone seen that Vettel flag clip - class.  Can't find it now.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #3714: Apr 09, 2017 07:08:10 am
      Track is pretty much bone dry at race start but for the odd damp patch but Vettel with a rookie error placing half his car outside his grid slot and being investigated by stewards
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #3715: Apr 09, 2017 07:54:22 pm
      https://twitter.com/F1/status/851135625927553024

Hamilton also equalled Alain Prost's podium appearances record, behind only Michael Schumacher (who else?!). He is truly in the pantheon of greats!
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,438 posts | 4582 
      Reply #3716: Apr 09, 2017 07:59:20 pm
      https://twitter.com/F1/status/851135625927553024

Hamilton also equalled Alain Prost's podium appearances record, behind only Michael Schumacher (who else?!). He is truly in the pantheon of greats!

Yet there are some still
      Out there who don't rate him...
      Best career move leaving McLaren...

Just ask Alonso ;D
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #3717: Apr 09, 2017 08:28:10 pm
      Yet there are some still
      Out there who don't rate him...
      Best career move leaving McLaren...

Just ask Alonso ;D

Crazy isn't it? I know some don't like his lifestyle and shout petulantly 'why doesn't he become a rapper' but too many people judge f1 drivers on personality as opposed to ability. I don't have any problem with his lifestyle at all. He's shown something unique in balancing his sporting commitments with that flashy lifestyle! F1 can seem a bit too insular at times but he is the one driver who has taken his popularity outside the f1 bubble so it's no wonder Bernie loved him so much! That said, we should just prize him because he is a sensational talent who provides an extra dimension to this sport. For those who care about British motorsport - lap it up I say. We'll probably see no one better.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,239 posts | 4929 
      Reply #3718: Apr 09, 2017 08:39:32 pm
      Crazy isn't it? I know some don't like his lifestyle and shout petulantly 'why doesn't he become a rapper' but too many people judge f1 drivers on personality as opposed to ability. I don't have any problem with his lifestyle at all. He's shown something unique in balancing his sporting commitments with that flashy lifestyle! F1 can seem a bit too insular at times but he is the one driver who has taken his popularity outside the f1 bubble so it's no wonder Bernie loved him so much! That said, we should just prize him because he is a sensational talent who provides an extra dimension to this sport. For those who care about British motorsport - lap it up I say. We'll probably see no one better.

It's weird when people have a go about his lifestyle and say he isn't focused yet he won the title two seasons back and almost did last season.

I think he's class and how he chooses to unwind between Grand Prix is his business.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #3719: Apr 09, 2017 09:03:04 pm
      It's weird when people have a go about his lifestyle and say he isn't focused yet he won the title two seasons back and almost did last season.

I think he's class and how he chooses to unwind between Grand Prix is his business.

He's a great ambassador for the sport. As are all grand prix drivers! After all, there's only 20 of them in the world!

By the way, thought today's Grand Prix was excellent. Some fantastic, REAL overtaking moves and great drives from Hamilton, Vettel, Verstappen, Sainz and up until his retirement Fernando Alonso. And that move by Vettel on Ricciardo - superb!
      « Last Edit: Apr 09, 2017 09:08:23 pm by Frankly, Mr Shankly »
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #3720: Apr 11, 2017 05:04:47 pm
      After Giovinazzi's two crashes in two days in China it seems Sauber have supercharged Wehrlein's return to the seat he vacated in Australia!

https://twitter.com/SauberF1Team/status/851812768219115521
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #3721: Apr 12, 2017 06:00:29 pm
      Fernando Alonso to compete in the Indy 500 next month meaning he will miss this year's Monaco Grand Prix. He will drive a McLaren entered car to be run by the Andretti Autosport team, the first time McLaren have competed in the event for 38 years.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/39576099

Really excited for this. I wish more f1 drivers had competed in this and the Le Mans 24 Hours like the old days. The only man to have won those two races along with Monaco is Graham Hill. Given the uncompetitiveness of his McLaren f1 car it's a good deal this and great news for Indy car racing in the States! Also a chance for McLaren to regain some dignity in racing.
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,253 posts | 2855 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #3722: Apr 12, 2017 09:13:38 pm
      Fernando Alonso to compete in the Indy 500 next month meaning he will miss this year's Monaco Grand Prix. He will drive a McLaren entered car to be run by the Andretti Autosport team, the first time McLaren have competed in the event for 38 years.

Really excited for this. I wish more f1 drivers had competed in this and the Le Mans 24 Hours like the old days. The only man to have won those two races along with Monaco is Graham Hill. Given the uncompetitiveness of his McLaren f1 car it's a good deal this and great news for Indy car racing in the States! Also a chance for McLaren to regain some dignity in racing.

https://twitter.com/JensonButton/status/852196270621958145
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,610 posts | 3844 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #3723: Apr 13, 2017 11:01:51 am

Going for the triple crown.
      Might take a few years this.
      Shows he's given up on more F1 titles.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,438 posts | 4582 
      Reply #3724: Apr 13, 2017 11:21:20 am
      Going for the triple crown.
      Might take a few years this.
      Shows he's given up on more F1 titles.

I think this will be his last season in F1, with all the fall outs with McLaren,Ferrari & now McLaren again the strain is evident & I guess he wants out with a fresh start...poor decision making with team hoping has cost him more titles.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,610 posts | 3844 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #3725: Apr 13, 2017 11:29:25 am
      I think this will be his last season in F1, with all the fall outs with McLaren,Ferrari & now McLaren again the strain is evident & I guess he wants out with a fresh start...poor decision making with team hoping has cost him more titles.

Should have gone to Red Bull when the chance was there.
      Mercedes won't take him when Hamilton is there.
      Like you said, poor decision making cost him many more titles.

Quick Reply